Trader Joe's

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

trader joes is good company to work for

Trader Joes is of the best companies to work for in the country especially groceries.I really enjoy working there , great management, very supportive environment

Flexible

It is a good place to work. Work/balance is encouraged. Benefits are ok. Vacation time is backwards of most places. It's computed by hours you work. Not given as guaranteed. Have to not use it to gain a lot of time.

Pros

Work/balance, pay

Cons

People forget it is a company like every other, Their profits are what counts, Better than most companies but still has its flaws

Fun job but pay is low

Trader Joe’s is a fun job in day to day but the company doesn’t care about employees. Slashing benefits and pay every year. Coworkers can be great or toxic depending on the store

Pros

Flexible hours, coworkers

Cons

Corporate, pay, benefits

Fun time

Great job that cares. Customer service is top notch. Hours are whatever you need them to be as long as it suits the needs of the business. It’s like family.

Pros

Relaxed

Hectic work please

I would like to start off by saying Trader Joe’s is a very hectic work environment they let just about anyone in there you never get a steady rhythm with them because people always getting fired and re hired

Pros

Good hours

Cons

Don’t pay enough Hectic environment

Pay is great, job is boring

Tedious and physically exhausting but you can get away with not working very much if you don’t want to. Pay keeps people from leaving. Company is not what it used to be and senior leadership is decisive.

Awesome crewmembers, Lots of customer interaction

Trader Joe's really surprised me with how flexible, nice, and welcoming the environment was to work in. I always felt a part of the team and appreciated how laid back the managers (mates) were in regards to task prioritization. Not a difficult job at all, however it can get monotonous endlessly stocking shelves. But I tried to spend most of my time up at the register anyways interacting with customers. Without that aspect of the job I probably would have gone insane. Also from my experience TJ's does quite a solid job at hiring chill, friendly, and interesting people to work in their stores, so you're bound to end up with some awesome coworkers/friends!

Pros

Employee discount and benefits

Cons

Lots of standing, not enough sitting

overall good company to work for

The company has changed quite a bit since Covid. Benefits have been cut. Raises have not kept up with cost of living for several years. They used to be the very top with compensation and benefits but have been okay with not being that employer anymore.

Pros

Pay and benefits. People

Cons

no stability of schedule, location or seniority

fun workplace fair labor practices

I worked for Trader Joe’s for eight years. there was a variety of experience depending on my general manager. on the whole general management has been exemplary. they really train and hire carefully.you have to be a very social person in order to deal with the amount of interpersonal contact that The job requires.it’s a company I would have retired with if I could keep up with the physical demands of the job.I simply aged out of my comfort zone.

Pros

Great management great discount great benefits

Cons

physically demanding, socially demanding

Love it! Everyday is a good day for me.

Awesome place to work. Learn everything from cashier to grocery. Training was fun and eventually the work gets easier. Hourly duties and tons of foods/products to try for great product knowledge. The insurance is great and gym memberships are given if you work the appropriate amount of hours. working with the mates are great. They always encourage you to do well and supportive if you decide to become a mate (management)

Productive and supportive workplace

Trader Joe’s is a place where everyone likes to shop for groceries and have pleasant conversations with the cashiers. Had some really great connections and management was kind and supportive. Would work here for longer if I didn’t move.

Pros

Good management, connections with customers, great company

Cons

Tedious work and repetitive days

Poor management

Overall I enjoyed loading trucks w epj. However management was poorly excuted. It was who you knew and depending on race if you got promoted. They seemed to want more out of you everyday. I worked 1st shift. 2nd shift would come in, sit in break room, chit chat with everyone while we did there work. There were many days I didn't get all my breaks.

Pros

Gave free lunches on holiday weekends

Cons

Never got both breaks. Only punched out for lunch

Great Just a lot of physical labor

Crew and mates and captains are cool. The labor side of the job, be it while at the register or on the floor pulling stock from storage rooms or fridge, can be back-breaking though. The amount of bending and twisting, particularly at registers (there are no counters or belts at trader joes and crew members unload customer shopping carts themselves is orthopedically unhealthy.

A great working environment.

The staff is friendly. The rotation between customer service and stocking the shelves is outstanding. It prevents boredom and repetitive movement injuries. It also enhances mutual support among team members. Mates participate with crew members, performing all tasks when necessary. There is a sense of confidence that management has your back.

Good company, not for me.

I hated this job but not because of the company. I actually think TJ's is a good company to work with. But I hated the job itself, I hated the customers and I didn't like all the management. Some people were cool, others were not. Definitely opportunity to move up.

Pros

Good pay, flexible

Cons

Too busy for an introvert.

Love the culture, upper level management doesn't seem to live up to company values?

Shifts at the Orem Trader Joe's are typically 2pm-10pm or 6am-2pm which can make work life balance difficult, but I've been able to make it work as a student. You typically spend your days stocking the shelves and ringing people up on register. You're expected to work hard but also have fun which I love. I love pretty much every employee, including the store management team. Everyone has been very supportive of me and all my life decisions. The hardest part(s) of the job have come with the onset of the pandemic starting with the emotional toll of enforcing mask and social distancing policies and ending with recent company decisions regarding wages. Employees began receiving hazard pay during the pandemic which was a huge blessing, but eventually it was taken away and one of our regularly scheduled bi-annual raises was skipped the reasoning being we'd received a high increase of wages for a sustained period of time. Now, however, new hires are being paid more than veteran employees who have been with the company 4-5 years and it's actually impossible to negotiate wages and there's no transparency regarding how or why these decisions are made so there's nothing veteran crew can do about it except leave scathing reviews of the company on the internet. As someone who has been with the company for 4 years, it's been insulting and frustrating to have to train new hires when they're making more money than you, especially at a company that has integrity as its number one value. I don't feel that upper level management is treating me they way they'd want to be treated if they were -

Pros

funniest, quirkiest, friendliest coworkers, discounts on groceries, food tastings, medical benefits, not a desk job, encouraged to have fun at work

Cons

typical work schedule is not a 9-5, have to work weekends, company currently doesn't live up to its values (no integrity), work can be hard on the body

Productive, fast paced, little pay

Trader Joe’s is a nice placeholder job, but it is not something you should see yourself in long term. Management knows how to attract the best talent for very little pay. High turnover, meager raises, no sense of advancement turns employees sour. The customers and management are pleasant for the most part! Just know it will be mentally/ physically exhausting due to the high volume of traffic in store.

Productivity and fun work place

Great team management, super friendly, super helpful, great benefits, 401k plan, flexible schedule if you’re at school at the same time, they are understanding.

Okay for a summer job.

Crew is mostly cool. So are the mates. The problems stem from corporate slashing benefits with no warning, failing to retain employees, and general top down decision making that only works in a vacuum.

It’s a job

It’s a job not hard doesn’t require any special skills. Lack of poc managers. It pays bills. At almost 10 years I’m completely over it. Depending on how dependable your manners are you might have to do a lot of work for other people

good company

i dont need to say much this is a amazing company everyone should work here other employees where nice and friendly managers were good people hardest part of the job was always standing and walking around

Pros

lunch

Cons

nothing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Trader Joe's. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 20%
In the Top 20% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Trader Joe's.
Powered byComparably