Trader Joe's

Trader Joe's Employee Reviews

United States2,675 reviews

Found 2,675 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,684 reviews

Good benefits, poor-okay pay, ridiculous cliques.

Before I started working there it seemed like a cool place to work. Took almost a month to get hired cause management called back once saying they’d set up interview. Not long into the job I could already see drama. I had an employee joke with me saying “ we tricked you, huh. Making you thinking everyone is cool and nice haha”. I heard it can vary store to store but the cliques were unbelievable. If you did not fit the group leaders expectations then they quickly singled you out. There were some good people but mostly the older ones meaning above 40 years old. Females would take offense to anything and everything an management always took there side. Something management always said is “does not matter what you said or did, it is how it is perceived”. You get paid enough to keep you there for the work. People always getting hurt leaving early for “personal”reasons so work fell on everyone else. Over all okay to place to work and the company takes good care of you. Just the employees and management aren’t great.

Pros

Good health insurance.

Cons

Employees and management, pay varies by state.

Alright workplace

has definitely gone downhill over the years Management is a make or break at each individual location. Scheduling isn’t flexible, company wants workers to work almost full time to stay employed.

Pros

Free samples

Cons

Healthcare can be difficult to obtain, schedule isn’t flexibility

Trader Joe's insights

Based on 2,201 survey responses
What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Great place to work if you keep to yourself and work!

The job is what you make of it and also depends on the management support in your store. If you aren’t backed by your mates and captain you are destined to fail due to poor performance reviews. If you work extremely hard and break your back doing so that will be the daily expectation. If you go in and treat it like a job and not a high school hangout you should do well. Keep your head down do your work and go home.

Pros

Decent discount and free samples of new products

Cons

Poor management and no accountability

Wacky and quirky. No one wants to work hard

Weird job, weird location, weird layout, pretty Weird management. Just an overall wacky job. Lots of heavy lifting in produce and frozen. OK pay if you don't mind picking up slack.

great co workers horrible managers

great place to work if you want to befriend your coworkers. terrible place to work if you don't like your managers making up lies to give bad reviews.

Company has changed.

They squeeze out the veterans and love a turnover so they can pay low wages. If you really need a job, make it short lived. EVERYONE crew member I know has physical ailments.

Okay

Turned into a super corporate place, not as good as it use to be. The store for the over educated and under paid, yet I feel very underpaid and I feel like I am treated unfairly in my reviews

Solid, Simple Job.

I worked for this company for 13 years, at 5 different stores. I know what im talking about. I only left because I got bored and wanted to do something else with my life. Here is the summary: - generally Great people to work with. Crew members and managment. There are always a few people who don't care enough to do a good job that you will have to put up with. - Great pay, especially considering the type of work: Groceries. -you get to move around and work every area of the store so you dont get burned out doing the same role over and over and over. -Regular raises so long as you actually do your job. - VERY flexible scheduling. Great for part-time. - Hires anyone from 17+ ages. - Great benefits. The only cons:- un avoidable human politics and gossip- they don't fire people that suck at their jobs so everyone that is good just has to put up with people that are less than stellar- its hard to get promoted to Full time because there are A LOT of people trying to do all the time. - Its the same job day in and day out. same problems day in and day out. dont expect things to change unless you have a Head manager ("captain") who is willing to change things.

Pros

read above

Positive work environment

The pay scale wasn’t the best and hours which I didn’t like . You can’t make a living without enough hours.the company doesn’t allow it’s employees to work 40 plus hours and hires new people daily which makes the turnover rate extremely high. For the most part customers and management were great but I had to find another job that gives 40 hrs a week plus overtime I couldn’t make a living working at Trader Joe’s full time.

Good place to work overall

I liked working here until I still wasn't at the top of pay for employees after over a decade of good reviews. the pandemic showed me what I should have been getting paid and that was before they messed with our retirement, and took away the sick time for Covid. Your sick time and vacation time are one in the same and you have to earn every last dime of your AR. Don't have enough AR to cover if you get sick? you may lose your medical coverage. You have to meet hours to earn your medical coverage.

Perfect position as a student

As someone in school, TJ's has worked with me time and time again to ensure I can complete my work on time and focus on getting good grades. Sunday's and Monday's can be overwhelming, but fantastic managers at my store make sure that the work environment is positive. TJ's sets up the shift schedule so that you will almost never be working more than 2 straight hours on register. They will rotate you between product and customer service.

It all depends on your mates and captain

I worked with the company for 5 years, I had great and supportive mates and captains, and then I have had the complete opposite. My last captain had favorites, did not care about the crews happiness and went out of their way to make some of us miserable.

Pros

Crew Tastings, Discount

Cons

Short breaks, inconsistent schedule

Be careful working at Trader Joe’s any Trader Joe’s

Be careful if you choose to work for this company they let their customers run the store since working there I’ve been hit in my private area by the customers and management did nothing to help me or make me feel better. I’ve been spat on by customers in the very beginning of the Covid 19 pandemic. They don’t care bout their employees just the customers

Flexible

It is a good place to work. Work/balance is encouraged. Benefits are ok. Vacation time is backwards of most places. It's computed by hours you work. Not given as guaranteed. Have to not use it to gain a lot of time.

Pros

Work/balance, pay

Cons

People forget it is a company like every other, Their profits are what counts, Better than most companies but still has its flaws

Fun job but pay is low

Trader Joe’s is a fun job in day to day but the company doesn’t care about employees. Slashing benefits and pay every year. Coworkers can be great or toxic depending on the store

Pros

Flexible hours, coworkers

Cons

Corporate, pay, benefits

Fun time

Great job that cares. Customer service is top notch. Hours are whatever you need them to be as long as it suits the needs of the business. It’s like family.

Pros

Relaxed

Hectic work please

I would like to start off by saying Trader Joe’s is a very hectic work environment they let just about anyone in there you never get a steady rhythm with them because people always getting fired and re hired

Pros

Good hours

Cons

Don’t pay enough Hectic environment

Pay is great, job is boring

Tedious and physically exhausting but you can get away with not working very much if you don’t want to. Pay keeps people from leaving. Company is not what it used to be and senior leadership is decisive.

Awesome crewmembers, Lots of customer interaction

Trader Joe's really surprised me with how flexible, nice, and welcoming the environment was to work in. I always felt a part of the team and appreciated how laid back the managers (mates) were in regards to task prioritization. Not a difficult job at all, however it can get monotonous endlessly stocking shelves. But I tried to spend most of my time up at the register anyways interacting with customers. Without that aspect of the job I probably would have gone insane. Also from my experience TJ's does quite a solid job at hiring chill, friendly, and interesting people to work in their stores, so you're bound to end up with some awesome coworkers/friends!

Pros

Employee discount and benefits

Cons

Lots of standing, not enough sitting

overall good company to work for

The company has changed quite a bit since Covid. Benefits have been cut. Raises have not kept up with cost of living for several years. They used to be the very top with compensation and benefits but have been okay with not being that employer anymore.

Pros

Pay and benefits. People

Cons

no stability of schedule, location or seniority

fun workplace fair labor practices

I worked for Trader Joe’s for eight years. there was a variety of experience depending on my general manager. on the whole general management has been exemplary. they really train and hire carefully.you have to be a very social person in order to deal with the amount of interpersonal contact that The job requires.it’s a company I would have retired with if I could keep up with the physical demands of the job.I simply aged out of my comfort zone.

Pros

Great management great discount great benefits

Cons

physically demanding, socially demanding

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Trader Joe's. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.7Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight