Trader Joe's

3.9Pay & Benefits

Found 1,110 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,025 reviews
jotjscrewmategrocerycaptaintastingstore

Best place to work!

seriously, trader joes is AMAZING. they pay you beyond fairly, the hours are wonderful, the people are great, I couldnt find a complaint if I wanted to. The store I was at suffered a bit of nepotism, but hey it never got in the way of doing our actual jobs. The most fun I have EVER had at a job. WORK FOR TRADER JOES!

Good company despite its issues

I worked here for 3 years and it started out well. Then covid came and changed everything. The crew was mostly cool but the pandemic made working way more stressful than it needed to be. Management also contributed to making life hard for everyone. They were mostly self serving, denying me raises because I sent a text message. Meanwhile they had crew members being creepy toward coworkers and let that slide. They questioned my work ethic while hiring people that end up quitting a few weeks later. I’m not sure if it was discrimination but I deserved so much more than they gave me during my three years. With the right management team, they could be a great place to work for.

Trader Joe's insights

Based on 2,693 survey responses
What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction

Definitely a hard manual job lot of bend and and scoop

Very fast pace but overall great experience and exercise the more you pick the more you make The people there can be a great help. as I worked there I became a teer 4 selector and I was getting top pay in no time but unfortunately to pay was only 16 bucks not to bad for Daytona Beach

Loved working here!

Best job I’ve had. Great people, great atmosphere, great management, flexible, paid time off, good benefits, annual pay raises, retirement. Just a great place to work overall.

Easy going and flexible

It’s a good work environment if you get along with your coworkers or are a neutral person. It is a very physical job but the pay is good and they have very flexible schedules.

Super fun working as Crew, totally different story as a Mate

I started as a Mate, which is a key holder/supervisor position with loads of responsibility. The pay was good, but the work life balance was non existent. minimum 10 hour shifts, waterfall schedule, and the gossip/Mate toxicity was enough for me to step down after a year and a half (2019-2021). Once I moved in to a Crew position it became such a fun job! I loved changing jobs/positions every hour, working on displays, orders, and other creative projects around the store. If you can get on the opening schedule it is the best schedule ever. Off by 12/1:00, you'll have the whole day to do whatever else you want. Customer service was always a focus but ramped up aggressively in 2021/2022 once the pandemic seemed to calm a bit. I felt extremely lucky being able to ate into a Crew role when being a Mate was no longer the right fit for me. I left the company due to a repetitive work injury, which was pretty devastating. Mates & Managers were always awful about communicating, gossip, talking about Crew, picking favorites etc. which was disappointing but could have just been the store I was at.

Pros

Discount, work with fun people, flexible schedule, great work life balance for Crew, great pay & benefits, physical work

Cons

Expect body pain & injuries, Mate hours are brutal, Work Life balance for Mate is tough, cliques, favoritism

Fun work place

No complaints! Definitely can be physically demanding, but the pay is great and benefits are good too. Great environment to be in, all the managers and crew members are nice and easy to get along with

Great products, terrible coworkers.

Great products, great pay and great benefits except all the employers smoke the entire time and the break room smells terrible. Weed and cigarette smell.

It's good for a retail job

As far as retail jobs go it's fine. Don't expect to make this a career unless you love the intricacies of groceries. Coworkers and managers can be really fun, but that's a question of luck. I've worked in 2 stores and both were vastly different in terms of work environment.

Pros

good pay for a retail job, good medical insurance, store atmosphere is brighter and more inviting than your average grocery store, fun coworkers (varies)

Cons

it's a retail job: low pay, boring, repetitive, lack of purpose, pettiness among coworkers

Friendly co workers

Trader Joe's is a fun environment to work in however there is a lot scheduling changes. Your schedule is not the same from week to week. This makes it hard to schedule your life work balance. .

Crew Memeber

Trader Joe's is a unique place to work at and has great culture. You get decent pay and great benefits however it does have its pros and cos as any workplace does.

Fun place to work

Fun place to work, other employees are all great. Hours are flexible and pay is just ok. The benefits are comparable to other similar businesses. Good people

Good if you’re in school or retired

Awesome job, great for those in school, or retired.. always something to do. Pretty organized staff. People willing to help. Managers can be a bit intimidating and the pay is a bit low for current times… other than that it‘a really not bad

Great people to work with but advancement and corporate is sketchy (good 2nd job)

A typical day at Trader Joe's starts at the earliest 4am and ends at the latest 11pm (used to be late shifts ending at 1am or 2am but covid changed that). Normally you get a few (2-4) hours register, a few hours stocking product, and maybe an hour or 2 of a specialty position (front of the line, register assistant, etc). The management style can change drastically from store to store based on the store manager and area with things being casual and easy going as long as the work gets done while adhering to rules to very strict about most things regardless of outcome.Workplace culture is great and you'll meet some of the best co-workers you could have. Hardest part of the job are its a lot of physical labor, advancement can be biased towards favoritism, and pay/benefits have been slowly getting reduced over the years.

Pros

Flexible schedule, friendly coworkers, better than average pay for retail, somewhat flexible day to day

Cons

Benefits slashing, advancement is limited and biased to favoritism, physically intensive, policy and vibe from store to store changes somewhat drastically

Nice Folks, Decent Pay

Worked here for 6 months. Great management team, flexible when you need time off, good atmosphere and crew as well. VERY anti union, but that's to be expected i

Super fun.

I worked here for a while. May go back, we’ll see. Very high paced. Great benefits, good discount, crew tastings all the time. You won’t go hungry working there that’s for sure.

Good job, great benefits

Great company. Pay is very good, benefits are amazing. A big percentage of regularly turned-over employees, but those are mostly students or those new to work force. The other half is well seasoned people who have worked for the company for 10, 15 or more years. It’s actually impressive especially considering it’s a grocery store.

Best Flexible Job

I love working at Trader Joe's, the benefits are amazing for full time and they are very flexible with my school and work schedule. They offer up shifts when I need them and can take shifts off if I have appointments or need a mental health day. One of the best management teams I have worked for and overall a good experience.

Not Bad, Not Great

Pay and benefits are decent. Work can be extremely overwhelming during busy seasons and on the weekends. However, coworkers make the job a lot better.

it was fun years ago, but things have changed for the bad

I used to love working for this company. It felt like a second family. But over the years, things changed, politics started creeping in and when you realize that you cannot be a robot and that being human you make mistakes, you get written up for anything and everything which leads to a poor review and no raise. They give you no training in customer service as a "crew member". you come to find out that you are replaceable because the job requires no higher education.Since the pandemic, the company has changed for the worse. doesn't feel like a family company anymore.

Good, hard work for fair pay.

Trader Joe’s continues to be one of the better grocery store jobs. Interaction with management is encouraged. You feel respected and that you have a voice. Great benefits!

Pros

Full healthcare benefits for 28 hours of work, you only pay about $50 per paycheck. 20%discount on food and groceries. Retirement benefits.

Cons

Schedules aren’t too flexible, nor are they consistent from week to week.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Trader Joe's. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

2.5Fairygodboss Score

36%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

27%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss