Trans States Airlines Employee Reviews

Relaxed work place with great management
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 12, 2019
The current management is great and the schedules they offer are amazing. Pay could always be better but the flexibility they offer makes up for it a little bit.
It was fun
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 4, 2018
Made a lot of good friends working here but the pay sucks and barely survived with the cost of living in Denver. They have a lot of snobby flight attendants, especially the flight attendant check airman’s. While they over look the new hires on how they are doing on their first few trips, they’ll also tell them who not to hang out with and gossip about other flight attendants. Which is very unprofessional, because you should be portraying a professional image. Not sure why trans states would pick these girls (wouldn’t call them women) to be check airman when they act like high schoolers. The planes aren’t the greatest but I really enjoyed working for trans states for the year and a half I was there.
Pros
First officer Hunter Larkin
Cons
Gossip
Cool flight crew.
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 19, 2018
Cool flight crew. Pay is too low for the hours that you work. Not home enough. Also you must have support when you’re first starting out, if not you will not make it
Pros
Flight crew
Cons
Horrible people that they select for check airmen
productive
Administrative Assistant to director of maitenance (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 21, 2018
management was fair
very easy work
room for creative
require light traveling
very flexible w newborn and home life
almost everyone was very nice and a please to work with
Pros
traveling
Cons
pay could have been a little better
Overworked
pilot (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 9, 2018
You work all the time. Almost everyone is down to minimum days off, which makes it difficult to plan everything. Expect to get juniored often. The shortage is effecting this company heavily.
worst place to work
Aircraft Mechanic (A&P). (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL / Louisville, KYAugust 23, 2018
if you have experience or not you should avoid this place. the owner and the VP are away and the management playing as they want. you'll hear a lot of promises when you start and whenever they need you but you wont get anything. the fresh graduate can find a lot better airliners than this place and the experienced people will lose time in this place.
Pros
nothing
Cons
stressful place
Flying the skies
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 15, 2018
Living the Dream. Flying to great places with the best co-workers. Its the best team environment to have, working together with your crew to achieve happy passengers
Pros
travel
Cons
time away from family
Requires a lot of hard work for pennies, you get paid less than minimum wage for all your time.
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 11, 2018
I worked for this company for a year. I scored a 98% overall in flight school and was often praised by customers by them emailing our headquarters about me doing a great job as a flight attendant. So the general working atmosphere with the passengers is usually as good as you want to make it. If you are a good student, and care about your passengers, and work hard to be exact in keeping them safe at all times that is the biggest part of your job.

However, the hours are outrageous. I often worked 50+ hours a week, and 12 to 16 hour days. I would be away from home three days straight, only sleeping in my own bed two nights a week. I also was often required to get up at 4 am to be on a plane. And I would work till 10 pm at night. Sleep is not guaranteed. THey pay pennies ofr what they requiew of you. It's a rip off. I couldn't make my bills and all I had was a cheap one bedroom apartment in the ghetto. No car payment yet still it wasn't enough to pay bills. THis company really takes advantage of it's flight attendants. Use this as a stepping stone to get experience so you can go work at a better airline, but no one stays long at this company.
Pros
cheap travel benefits, easy to get hired
Cons
bad pay, long hours
They do not care about you.
Sheet metal mechanic (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 6, 2018
The only thing the company cares about is selling seats. Their Maintenance standards were very bad until the FAA was looking over their shoulder and then WATCH OUT, it could be you and your employment that becomes the fix for the problem. They do not play any games when it comes to giving you hours, they need you to be there, even if its slow. I always had 40 hrs minimum. If they flew you out to fix a busted plane, you did not clock out until you came back. I was once on the clock for a couple days. I do not want to say much more, but This is defiantly a cut throat, competitive environment for the maintenance crew. Flight attendant might be better.
Transstates
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 13, 2018
Good work envienment management and co workers . The pay isnt great but overall a good starting job. Learned a lot during time here no regrets working here
Employee free meal and break room
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Louisianan,July 10, 2018
For me I don't see much that attract me. I don't have anything to comment. It is fun to travel but, that was not my interest. I have to work hard to support my family and in the meantime grow with the company.
Pros
Travel benefit
Cons
No rest area
Aviator Intern
Internship (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 1, 2018
The benefits for the internship are outstanding. There is a mentor, training sessions, and culture assimilation. This is useful if your goal is to become a airline pilot. HOWEVER, the greatest benefit; Non-revenue travel, can be stressful, for reasons that were never made clear to us interns. You are required to send airline travel request 5 day in advance (domestic) and 10 days (international). This didn't seem like a big deal, and to be completely fair, I have had some great use on travel. However, there are times where travel department and the manger are not reachable for weeks at a time. This was concerning since there is no way to contact the departments other than thru the manager, and effective communication is definitely something that needs work at TSA. It would be much better, under these types of circumstances, to give the interns a better, or more effective method for contacting or booking travel. Especially so, since the manager also serves as a recruiter who is extremely busy. Not only that, but to have a better, more clear chain of command or procedures to help the interns in cases such as the few we experienced. Other than these few hiccups, the company offers a IOE incentive to come to training up to (90) days before you are ATP eligible. This is great for seniority. They also have a direct 2-year flow thru to frontier airlines. Good program to get your feet wet in the airline bis!
a good place if you are a mechanic but if you are not one dont waste your time
Battery Shop Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOJune 28, 2018
the benefits sucks, the management is poor excuse they don't listen to the employees. they write you up for the most stupid things ever. The sick time build up is a excuse
Pros
Employee application week and 1hr lunch break
Cons
bad mangment and pay
Very Great Group of People
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCJune 13, 2018
Had an awesome shift with great co workers. It was really a delight to work at this company, and the flight privileges were an added bonus. Proud of the time I spent there.
Good at the start..
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOMay 31, 2018
A lot of work for minimal pay. Management does their best to be flexible with your schedule as long as you are persistent. Most of your crew is burnt out so its hard to appreciate the company while flying if the demeanor is low. Only a handful of TSA fight attendants truly appreciate their jobs - you will understand once you've been in this industry for awhile.
Pros
free travel, nice hotel overnights
Cons
little to no breaks, 14 hour days, no life outside of work
small flying crew
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 20, 2018
Overall great company , you are expected to work the scheduled days and will be laid off because its a airline and customers cannot be late for their flights
Poor management
Flight Attendant trainee (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 13, 2018
This place is a joke. You go to group interview, then if they like you, you stay for face to face interview. I was asked to stay for the F2F interview. After the interview I was invited to their flight attendant training, and of course was told I had to pass an extensive 6 week training to actually secure the job. So, I was excited because I knew I definitely could pass the training, as I have been through some very tough training classes before. So, had to get my passport & other things in order before I flew out for training. I literally had to sell some of my things at home to come up with the cash for my expedited passport(this was a requirement). So, got everything I needed and flew out for training...& also had to quit my current job. So the first days of training were easy. Nothing but paperwork, drug test, and fingerprint background check. We did have 2 test during this week which both I aced. So, during first 2 days, 3 people were let go for tattoos, height, and being too emotional. Then at end of week, I was called in to office & was told they were going to have to let me go. I was confused so I asked if there was a reason...did I do something wrong. They would not tell me. Only thing they said was, " Unfortunately, we can't give you any information." So, I was sent home. And of course I was upset because I had quit my job for this training & had sold my things just to meet their requirement of an expedited passport. And for them to atleast not give me a reason why just really tore me up. I know it wasn't my drug test because I do not do drugs. And no way it was my  more... background check either. So just seems that they don't care what people lose to get to their training...and to then just kick them out of training without giving a reason why is just not right.  less
Pros
The great people you meet
Cons
Pay, management, treatment
Fun environment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20001May 12, 2018
I liked working for Trans States Airline. We worked with TWA our parent company until the company went out of business. I was able to work well with them.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Can be tiring when working on the ramp.
I really LOVE my job.
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOMay 11, 2018
I feel this is what I am ment to do. I do love my job. It's rewarding each and every day. I love meeting new people and between the passengers and the flight crew makes it all worth it. I've learned that just a little kindness really goes a long way and it doesn't take a big production to be what I feel I am.
Pros
Per diem
Cons
working only flight hours
Great internship for college students
Aviators Intern (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 10, 2018
Perfect internship if you are a college student wanting to become an airline pilot in the future. Benefits are great and the company cares about your concerns.