Trans States Airlines Employee Reviews

Aviator Intern
Internship (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 1, 2018
The benefits for the internship are outstanding. There is a mentor, training sessions, and culture assimilation. This is useful if your goal is to become a airline pilot. HOWEVER, the greatest benefit; Non-revenue travel, can be stressful, for reasons that were never made clear to us interns. You are required to send airline travel request 5 day in advance (domestic) and 10 days (international). This didn't seem like a big deal, and to be completely fair, I have had some great use on travel. However, there are times where travel department and the manger are not reachable for weeks at a time. This was concerning since there is no way to contact the departments other than thru the manager, and effective communication is definitely something that needs work at TSA. It would be much better, under these types of circumstances, to give the interns a better, or more effective method for contacting or booking travel. Especially so, since the manager also serves as a recruiter who is extremely busy. Not only that, but to have a better, more clear chain of command or procedures to help the interns in cases such as the few we experienced. Other than these few hiccups, the company offers a IOE incentive to come to training up to (90) days before you are ATP eligible. This is great for seniority. They also have a direct 2-year flow thru to frontier airlines. Good program to get your feet wet in the airline bis!
Very Great Group of People
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCJune 13, 2018
Had an awesome shift with great co workers. It was really a delight to work at this company, and the flight privileges were an added bonus. Proud of the time I spent there.
Good at the start..
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOMay 31, 2018
A lot of work for minimal pay. Management does their best to be flexible with your schedule as long as you are persistent. Most of your crew is burnt out so its hard to appreciate the company while flying if the demeanor is low. Only a handful of TSA fight attendants truly appreciate their jobs - you will understand once you've been in this industry for awhile.
Pros
free travel, nice hotel overnights
Cons
little to no breaks, 14 hour days, no life outside of work
small flying crew
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 20, 2018
Overall great company , you are expected to work the scheduled days and will be laid off because its a airline and customers cannot be late for their flights
Poor management
Flight Attendant trainee (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 13, 2018
This place is a joke. You go to group interview, then if they like you, you stay for face to face interview. I was asked to stay for the F2F interview. After the interview I was invited to their flight attendant training, and of course was told I had to pass an extensive 6 week training to actually secure the job. So, I was excited because I knew I definitely could pass the training, as I have been through some very tough training classes before. So, had to get my passport & other things in order before I flew out for training. I literally had to sell some of my things at home to come up with the cash for my expedited passport(this was a requirement). So, got everything I needed and flew out for training...& also had to quit my current job. So the first days of training were easy. Nothing but paperwork, drug test, and fingerprint background check. We did have 2 test during this week which both I aced. So, during first 2 days, 3 people were let go for tattoos, height, and being too emotional. Then at end of week, I was called in to office & was told they were going to have to let me go. I was confused so I asked if there was a reason...did I do something wrong. They would not tell me. Only thing they said was, " Unfortunately, we can't give you any information." So, I was sent home. And of course I was upset because I had quit my job for this training & had sold my things just to meet their requirement of an expedited passport. And for them to atleast not give me a reason why just really tore me up. I know it wasn't my drug test because I do not do drugs. And no way it was my  more... background check either. So just seems that they don't care what people lose to get to their training...and to then just kick them out of training without giving a reason why is just not right.  less
Pros
The great people you meet
Cons
Pay, management, treatment
Fun environment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20001May 12, 2018
I liked working for Trans States Airline. We worked with TWA our parent company until the company went out of business. I was able to work well with them.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Can be tiring when working on the ramp.
I really LOVE my job.
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOMay 11, 2018
I feel this is what I am ment to do. I do love my job. It's rewarding each and every day. I love meeting new people and between the passengers and the flight crew makes it all worth it. I've learned that just a little kindness really goes a long way and it doesn't take a big production to be what I feel I am.
Pros
Per diem
Cons
working only flight hours
Great internship for college students
Aviators Intern (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 10, 2018
Perfect internship if you are a college student wanting to become an airline pilot in the future. Benefits are great and the company cares about your concerns.
Stressful, and Bittersweet
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 18, 2018
Management needs to follow their own protocol 100% of the time, not when it only suits them.
Crew scheduling: they hire and fire quickly, nobody knows what they are doing.
Pros
travel
Cons
reserve lines, being on call
An okay place to gain some initial experience
Aircraft Dispatcher - Part 121 (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 16, 2018
Very low pay for a stressful job as a flight dispatcher.
I learned how to work hard for low pay.
Most enjoyable part of the job was taveel benefits.
Workplace culture was pretty much non existent.
Pros
Flight benefits.
Cons
Low pay, low employee morale
Stay away
Captain (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 3, 2018
Trans states does not care about employees, does not compensate properly, nor will family events be considered. I highly encourage all pilots looking for employment to do thorough research, but stay away.
So much potential, very poor management
Crew Scheduling Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 1, 2018
Upon your interview and initial job offer, you are promised a world of stepping stones, tools to move up, relaxed work environment, etc. Many are eager, accepting of the potential in front of them. Soon after you are hired you will notice how corrupt the work environment actually is. In my particular department, 3 out of the 4 managers I experienced were nowhere near qualified, focused, or motivated. They were not accepted by employees and led to many resignations, such as my own.
Pros
Flight benefits
Cons
low wages, poor management, corruption
fun
Supervisor, Crew Scheduling (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 8, 2018
nice place to work. Very friendly. Everybody is very helpful. always willing to help. Upper management are always willing to help. Nice atmosphere to be in..
Pros
fun
Cons
hi stress sometimes
Not good
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 8, 2018
Hard to define a day, 70% of the trips are delayed for whatever reason, most likely maintenance. All the planes are super old.
The majority of the managers are very unhelpful and very very mean.
Crew schedule most of the time are very nice.
You are basically not allowed to be nice to the costumers, you can not change a word in the welcome speech, if you do and get cough you get in trouble. Very square, old thinking company.
Pros
Fun Crew members
Cons
Poor management
Flight Attendant
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOFebruary 19, 2018
If you love people and enjoy traveling this is the job for you. This job is not easy on people that are married with children. Know that hours are long and you spend a lot of time away from home.
not a bad place to start
Aircraft Maintenance Controller (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MODecember 5, 2017
This place is not a bad place to start and if you keep your head down as a mechanic you can gain great experience and knowledge.
If you decide to advance there are certainly plenty of opportunities although they do try to ensure you do not get much of a raise. Im talking 50 cents at a time for position changes.
Average place to work for a regional Airline.
A&P Line Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 7, 2017
Fast paced environment at times very high demand to get the planes out without delays but that's the way line maintenance is. Manager was high pressure and condescending.
Fun place to work
Baggage Handler (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 28, 2017
Everyday job as a baggage handler was fast paced but overall fun place to work. Meet new people and become friends with many employees. If this was your first job it seemed confusing in the beginning but you soon pickup everything that needs to be learned in about 3 months.
You must have support your first year!
FLIGHT ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOSeptember 27, 2017
As a flight attendant your first year you will most likely be on reserve (24 hr on call). You must have the family support to be ready to walk out the door and ready to go as soon as you get a call. The pay starts when the door closes (which is common), so while you are waiting at the airport you're not getting paid, while passengers are boarding, no pay; anyway the pay is confusing to newcomers. But to sum it up... you better have financial support during your first year, because the pay is horrible, like $15k.
Pros
Travel, excitement
Cons
Pay, scheduling, loneliness
Wonderful Career, for the right people
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 31, 2017
Working as a flight attendant at Trans States was a wonderful and life-changing experience. When I first started, I didn't have a very strong idea of what to expect. The work environment is fast-paced, the schedules are crazy while on reserve, and you had to adjust significantly to the ever changing lifestyle.
Pros
benefits, great coworkers, positive work environment
Cons
pay, schedules