Transamerica Employee Reviews

One of the worst experiences I've had in the workplace.
Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 19, 2019
Peer training was awful; there was favoritism amongst the manager and team. Skype training was not job specific. High turnover; multiple people resigned inside of three months.
Pros
Compensation and Benefits
Cons
Workplace culture
Good job culture
Annuity Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 18, 2019
Worked there for 11 years, Transamerica is very supportive when it comes to a employee furthering education. Pay is not so great, insurance isn't either. The culture and people there are great.
Pros
good job culture
Cons
not the greatest insurance benefits
Never met anyone that liked it
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLFebruary 7, 2019
A contract company took over and made things worse, those that were full time were transitioned to contractors that they could let go at any moment and with out severance or compensation.
Great Company!
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAFebruary 4, 2019
I have worked here for almost 3 years. Coming into the company right after college it has been an amazing entry level job for my experience. Becoming a financial advisor has definitely helped expand my knowledge and mind on how money can be expended in our lives.
Just a job
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 1, 2019
Zip training....but ding you on your review for not being up to speed so they can rank you Needs Improvement so you don't get a raise. Management couldn't manage themselves out of a paper bag. On boarding is null. Thrown into the job with little to no directions. Culture is cold & close to high school atmosphere. Bossy female leadership with no skills, just titles. Turn over is high due to no trust & frustration. Employees say what management wants to hear. Consider it a stepping stone as you look for a job where you can be on a team that offers a positive and productive work experience.
Pros
Get a paycheck every two weeks
Cons
Cold culture; poor management; no incentives, poor onboarding, very little training
A great place for self motivated people
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 1, 2019
It’s a a great place to start your career. It’s a well designed culture. They accept anyone with any background. Works well with another full time job. Room for growth.
My first job after college
Policy Typist (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 28, 2019
Did not know much about insurance until I worked here. Learned a lot from my colleagues. They were all helpful. Improved myself, and was able to learn.
Call Center
Call Center Agent (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 26, 2019
It us call center work. Chained to a desk to be abused by callers. 50% of the calls were from mistakes made by other reps. Very Stressful. Training was based on passing tests and not the reality of the calls coming in.
Pros
Cafateria
Benefits
Excellent work environment, personal work area excellent
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 18, 2019
If given the opportunity, I was motivated to accept a position as accounting or customer service area, however, was only covering someone on sick leave. Worked as a temporary thru and agency, no chance to use my skills, no enough work to fill the day.
Pros
Personal desk & Work area
Cons
cost of commuting to expensive downtown Balto
Some kind caring people, but a lot of sexism
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 9, 2019
I worked with a lot of very kind an caring coworkers at Transamerica, but there is still a lot of sexism in the financial services industry carried through at Transamerica. It was very evident to me after coming from the tech industry and a company where women were as equally as valued as men. It was very eye-opening to me.

It wasn't that there was inappropriate contact between women and men, but it was very obvious that men were a part of the good 'ol boys club and women had to work their butts off to advance. And most women were treated as admins, regardless of their roles.

Note: I can't speak for the whole company, but it was this way in the Life Insurance side of the business.
Pros
flexible remote work, on-site gym, on-site cafe, incredible campus
Cons
not the same opportunities for advancement between women & men
Company in Transition
Seniot Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 7, 2019
Company is in the midst of transitioning. So there are plenty of opportunities to help guide and direct that transition.
Senior management does need to shift their thinking from expense management to strategic investment in people and process.
Monotonous Work in a call center environment
Retirement Plan Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLJanuary 6, 2019
The position is monotonous and repetitive. I felt as if I was unable to live up to my full potential and felt "dumbed down" in my position as opposed to previous employment.
Bad Management
Compliance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Johns Creek, GAJanuary 3, 2019
While I was in this position, my manager had me thinking I was doing a fine job. This individual smiled in my face everyday and I discovered that I was being stabbed in the back the whole time.

I was solely blamed for something that was at the fault of management. They used me as the escape goat. I was lied on repeatedly. They told me conflicting information day to day. They will provide direction on something one day and say something different the next. I was directed to do certain things and if the outcome was not favorable; there was a consequence. I found myself always on guard because of those well-known in upper management.

There is no internal Human Resources Department. They are all out of state. This makes it easier for certain managers and directors to mistreat people. I complained to Human Resources about the issues and to another department that is supposed to help with internal issues. It was a waste of time.

I would advise anyone assuming this position to proceed with extreme caution.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Bad management
High stress level
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Harrison, NYDecember 28, 2018
Attending to telephone, email and written inquires.

Enhanced my understanding of retirement plans.

Management was quite distanced from regular staff.

Culture was relaxed

Early part of the year was hardest because of client's constant questioning of tax information.

Sociable coworkers.
Pros
Generous parking.
Cons
High deductible health plan.
Horrible Management 1801 California, Denver
Internal Wholesaler (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 26, 2018
Typical workday as an Internal Wholesaler for the life division aka.. outbound call center agent... is management micromanaging you about the number of calls you have to make while there is ZERO/ ZILCH focus on actual sales. There are too many layers of incompetent management giving out misdirection. They do not promote from within. There is no career advancement. They have unrealistic goals and try to make you drink the Kool-aid that they are attainable-NO ONE DOES. The culture is TOXIC and management believes they just need to purge and rehire.
Very bad place to be
Senior Fund Administrator Accountant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 21, 2018
Very bad place to work cold people rude. People are not allowed to talk and are stressful. Bad salary. Bad transportation. No respect of human being. Fire people with no respect.
Cons
Short break, bad management
Manager
Manager (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MADecember 20, 2018
Good company to work for, Very flexible, good to their employees. Very well respected in the market place. I would recommend anyone who asks me to consider working at Transamerica.
Was once a very good company, though that company no longer exists
Manager (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 17, 2018
The operations part of Transamerica was sold to TATA consulting. Thousands of employees have and will loss their jobs in the US. Until that point, the company was amazing to work for. I was given tuition reimbursement and obtained my degree while working full time. I was on the job training and development. Was mentored by many very highly qualified managers and leaders. I was given bonus’s and even shares of stock for many years too.
Pros
Career advancement opportunity, bonus’s, vacation time.
Cons
Shareholder profit drove decision to consolidate locations, sell operations to tata to automate and reduce number of employees
laid back workplace
Document Management Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXDecember 16, 2018
The work itself was very stress free. Main problem working here was that you don't everyday you come in , whether you would have any work to do or not. If there is no work, we were made to do very pointless things which did not help the department very much. Otherwise management was good. Company is really good. Compensation is low.
Not a very good place to work
Associate (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IADecember 14, 2018
I was busy from start to finish. The only times I was able to think was when I left for the day. On a typical day I would start with printing around forty pages so I could then balance certain accounts. After balancing I would QA the checks and invoices that came across my desk so I could get them mailed out to the vendors. Afterwards I start doing uploads which could take anywhere between an hour to five. I learned how to use a few proprietary programs. The management was not very good, they seemed to not care what happened to you or your work. The worst part of the job were the people you worked with and the amount for stress they placed on their employees. There really wasnt anything really enjoyable about the job. It was a stressful and hard place to work.
Pros
The things I learned I will never forget
Cons
The employees, the environment, the management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Transamerica. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Transamerica.

Powered by Comparably