Transco Railway Products Inc. Employee Reviews

Productive, high paying, and fast paced company
Blaster/Painter (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAAugust 19, 2018
Long hours, good pay and benefits. Worked on train cars anything from valve and welding to blasting cleaning and painting. Good management and ownership, saftey is a main concern they will train on whatever job opening you take.
Pros
High pay, and benefits
Cons
Long hours and hard work
Never work here
Railcar Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Oelwein, IAJuly 8, 2018
Poor lighting, dirty. will fire you if you get an infection under your skin even with a doctor note. Poor safety equipment, very dangerous work areas. No adequate ventilation.
Pros
The pay
Cons
Poor lighting - everything in the work area. Worst management.
Nasty Place
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Bucyrus, OHMarch 1, 2018
You will be used and abused with this place. Lives have been lost in their unsafe environment. If you have no care for your life you will love it there!
Productive and fun
Painter/Foamer (Former Employee) –  Newton Falls, OHFebruary 10, 2018
Good place to work and a lot of different learning experience, I was a painter,blaster,decaler,foamer and did some welding for them also operated overhead cran,forklifts... decent pay
Pros
Good benefits 401k
Cons
Can be stressfull at times
Railcar repair
Railcar Repairman (Former Employee) –  Oelwein, IAFebruary 5, 2018
I was a certified air brakeman and advancement was very slow within the company. The working conditions were filthy, and air quality was horrible. I liked what I did.
Worst company I ever worked for
Valve Tech (Former Employee) –  Miles City, MTDecember 20, 2017
Transco is the worst company I have ever worked for. They pay is horrid, they lie to get you to come on board, then never advance you.
They gave zero safety, the management is a joke, the place is delapitated and falling down all around you.
The buildings are mice/rat infested, and the filthiest I have ever seen.
Wish I had never come into contact with the company
You learn alot. Stressful working with management.
Carman (Former Employee) –  Oelwein, IANovember 30, 2017
Highly stressful environment. do not recommend working here due to stress. Plant manager very unreasonable and disrespectful. Not a healthy environment to work. No recognition for work done. You will not feel welcome. Walking on eggshells with supervisors.
Pros
Employees for the most part helpful and friendly
Cons
Not a good union. Sad Plant Manager, White hat Supervisors (throw you under a bus to score points with plant manager). :) Seriously.
A great work environment
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 8, 2017
I enjoyed my time working for Transco. I had very experienced co-workers there and everyone was more than willing to help you. I was able to learn about so many other aspects of my job as well as other jobs being done there. It was a very tight knit workforce there
Great place
Carman helper (Former Employee) –  Oelwein, IAAugust 29, 2017
Great place to work great pay nice friendly atmosphere great working schedule co workers were all great to work with management was nice seem to care about employees
Nice place to work but not much job security
Maintenance Technician and Welder (Current Employee) –  Williamsport, PAApril 8, 2017
Nice place to work but they have frequent layoffs. Family oriented environment and management is supportive of employees. Never have to work holidays or weekends.
Stressful
Painter/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Oelwein, IAFebruary 27, 2017
Plant manager is a very hard person to work for. Cates more about himself more than the employees. Union is not very good. Have the biggest facilty Transco owns but lowest paid. No point system. Will fire ya when they don't feel the need for you.
No more to say
Welder fabricator \ carman (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHFebruary 14, 2017
Job responsibilities were to repair railcars from changing brakes to doing bodywork on everything from car hauler to grain cars and boxcars to wheel sets replaced to painting repairs
A good place to work
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHFebruary 12, 2017
Sometimes I opened the place, I then set safety measures before the employees started the day, I received railcars entering the property, performed inspections, reviewed e-mails, used Excel to make estimates for railcar repair.
Pros
good benefits, friendly environment.
Cons
not enough work.
cool job
/Welder/Fabricator/Repairman (Former Employee) –  Bucyrus, OHJanuary 4, 2017
learn how to work on and repair rail cars,,
good pay and benefits
enoyed most working on the trains work hrs were good,,alot of very heavy lifting,,not a job for sissys
Pros
good pay/benefits
Cons
alaways laying off
Good union people to work with and easy to advance.
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Logansport, INNovember 18, 2016
Transco is extremely cold and hot environment depending on the season, it is dirty of course due to all the dirt on the train cars that come in as well as the steel work and things but it is safe and pays very well.
Pros
Good pay, weekends off, union, benefits.
Cons
Hot and cold environments, dirty, hard work.
Shop was old and cold but had very knowledgeable employees.
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Bucyrus, OHNovember 4, 2016
Very physical work with a variety of jobs to be preformed. I really enjoyed repairing damaged train cars and seeing the finished product looking new again.
Pros
close to home, getting paid to stay in shape, decent pay and benefits amd good hours of work.
Cons
Very cold during winter, not enough tools to go around the shop, old equipment
Productive and Relaxing
CNC Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Newton Falls, OHMarch 4, 2016
A typical day at work is a very active and exhausting day. Any where from operating the crane to load tables to unloading the burning tables. I learned how to operate CNC burning machines such as the CNC Plasma and the CNC Laser. Also learned a little on the CNC Breakpress and the CNC Cutting Saw.
Management was the biggest thing. When ever someone new would come in they would think they could change everything at once and thats just not how a company should work. My Co Workers i would of not traded them for the world, i have never met such friendly and helpful co workers in my working history as i did at Transco.
The hardest part of the job i would have to say would be staying awake. I had to work afternoons and there was just some days which was so hard to stay awake but after a while your body gets used to the feeling.
The most enjoyable part of my job was working by myself and running burning machines and watching the machines burn the parts out.
Pros
15 minute breaks every 2 hours and a 30 minute lunch, Friendly and Helpful Co Workers
Cons
Don't pay people the amount they should be paid, Alot of working weekends and no time with your family.
good job great people
Welder (Former Employee) –  Newton Falls, OHFebruary 28, 2016
working at transco was great the people there really made that job. only bad part of the job is sometimes you may have to work 8 hours on sat when it gets busy other then that i would have to say working at transco is a fun experience
Pros
great people great pay
Cons
working Saturdays and sundays

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Transco Railway Products Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Transco Railway Products Inc. Reviews by Job Title