TranscribeMe Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 19, 2019
Not only does TrandcribeMe pay you pennies for hours of work they give you very little room for advancement. The enviornment at TranscribeMe is very fake and extremely competitive. The people who manage the employees are extremely rude and unhelpful. Working for this company for over a month and have not been able to earn ANY money. Very luttle work available and when you attempt to qualify for a different position the exam is completely unreasonable. Very dissapointing and franly upsetting. I hope this company closes its doors because it is a company that certainly does not give its employees the respect and pay they deserve. STAY FAR AWAY FROM TRANSCRIBEME.
Pros
Cons
Little to no pay, feels like a scam
Low pay
TRANSCRIPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  RemoteMay 3, 2019
This felt like a job that was basically working for free. Stressful, often difficult audio (think heavy accents and lots of background noise), inconsistent project availability, and making pennies for your time. Would not recommend.
Great company to work for if you have the patience to improve your skills
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  At homeApril 1, 2019
A lot of people like the idea of being able to work at home on their own time/schedule. Therefore, they will have to share the available work with the many others who are doing the same thing. This will go for any website you work for. TranscribeMe constantly encourages entry level transcriptionists to practice and study for additional exams. Once you pass the exams, more work will be opened up for you. Some of the exams take hard work to be able to pass and this is to be expected. They don't just give out access to more difficult/higher paying files without proof that you are capable of handling them. This is completely understandable.

You will learn extremely fast if you pay attention to detail and FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS. When a QA edits your transcription, you get to see the changes they make to every file you work on and you can improve based on the corrections received. Files are rejected for low quality work. Transcribe me guarantees 99% accuracy to their clients and because of that, they cannot afford to accept low quality work and waste people's time.

At first, I was a little bit discouraged with the lack of work available. After I sucked it up and completed as much as I could on a daily basis, I started noticing that is was getting easier and easier and my accuracy percentages were getting higher and higher. Despite this, I kept failing exams but after a couple months of practice, it was definitely passable.

You will MOST LIKELY make small amounts of money when you're starting out if you do not have any prior experience. Do you want to know why? Because you're
  more... taking 30 minutes to 1 hour to transcribe a 2 minute audio clip. Is that TranscribeMe's fault? No. Is it your fault? Yes. Practice, study the style guide, and get jobs done when they come your way.

This is not a "get rich by being lazy" website. You have to want to learn and you have to be motivated and determined to follow specific instructions and pay close attention to the audio provided. You get what you put into the job.

TranscribeMe has never come across to me as sketchy or a scam. They do their best to help everyone with any questions or concerns they may have. I applied for many transcription jobs in December of 2018 and STILL haven't heard back from them as of April 2019 on whether or not I passed their entry test or not. I even paid for one of them (1888TypeItUp) and I still have not heard my results after four months.

I haven't worked with another transcription company, but TranscribeMe is a pleasure to work with. The people are nice, they aren't competitive or rude, and the groups on their social media website are as helpful as ever.

All I can say is, don't expect full-time pay for entry-level work. The quicker you are, the more you get paid. It's all up to you.
Pros
Work from home, low minimum requirements, helpful "coworkers"
Cons
Nothing the company is responsible for.
Don't waste your valuable time
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Home BasedMarch 31, 2019
I spent many long hours taking the exam for TranscribeMe in order to qualify for their work team. And, I qualified. However, it was a huge waste of my time as there is NEVER any work available. Every time I went to the website to look for jobs, there was always a message that all the work was assigned and to come back later. In one day, I checked at least 20 times and always got the same message. I have better things to do than to waste my time going to a website 20 to 50 times a day, only to be told "come back later."

If you have any respect for yourself and your time, don't waste it on applying for a job here.
Pros
Cons
A huge waste of your time
They promote beginners but --
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  United StatesMarch 14, 2019
They are really going to make me start over? I passed everything and my audio B was .40 under the 97% so I was at 96.6 they still failed me even with everything else being at 100% the style guide is filled with gray areas and you expect a perfect score...How beginner is that? Just take a look below, totally unfair.

Multiple Choice - Sample Sentences

Q1: 99.02% (Passed)
2 of 2

Audio - B
Q1: 96.60% (Failed)
2 of 2 Please remember that the pass rate for each audio varies depending on difficulty. The pass rates are all in the high 90s. That is as specific as we can be.

Audio - C

Q7: 100.00% (Passed)
Q8: 100.00% (Passed)
Q9: 100.00% (Passed)
Q10: 100.00% (Passed)
Pros
Freedom to work at home
Cons
low wages, perfectionist, terminate you quickly, no real support or leadership for new beginners.
Remote Work
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  RemoteDecember 4, 2018
Working here is perfect for me as I have a full-time position elsewhere. I am allowed the freedom to work as much or as little as I want; plus I have the opportunity to learn and grow within the company.
Good experience
General Transcriber-Part-time (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 17, 2018
This is a PT position and I work the hours I want to work. I am new at transcription work and this is allowing me a lot of practice time. I enjoy it. I could not make a living working here but like all newbies, I guess I have to get my foot in the door.
Pros
Work at home when I want to.
Cons
Too little pay
Rewarding work-at-home option
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Home BasedSeptember 11, 2018
TranscribeMe is a wonderful place to work. Once you are familiar with the style guide, it's easy to make money quickly. The message boards are full of support from your peers and from managers. There is ample opportunity for advancement to increase your earnings. The managers are always relaxed and appreciate all that you do. You're allowed to work as much or as little as suits you. I highly recommend this to anyone with a keen grasp of spelling a grammar.
Quick-paced and easy to learn
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 4, 2018
I can work from home and on my own schedule. The transcript bites are short enough as not to be overwhelming, allowing me to get more hours in. Yammer, TranscribeMe's social network, allows me to communicate with other transcriptionists when I need help.
Supportive and Honest Transcription Company
Transcriptionist - Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  IdahoAugust 23, 2018
This is a superior transcription company for experienced transcriptionists, as well as those who can put in the time and effort to become one.

Worked for A DIFFERENT transcription company who, after FIVE YEARS, suddenly canceled my contract with absolutely no warning. I endured constant frustration at that other company due to quality of the jobs, low pay for legal and medical transcription work, ambiguous expectations, outdated software and documentation, and rude management.

From the perspective of an experienced transcriptionist (at their "QS" level completing "sessions" - not the lower level "jobs") this is a great company. They make their expectations clear, have clearly defined style guides, and create a supportive and collaborative environment with a lot of opportunity to communicate with both helpful, friendly staff, as well as other transcriptionists.

TranscribeMe also offers a lot of different options for specializing in areas such as certain accents, reviewing work, timestamping, among other things. So for those who catch on and do well, there are advancement opportunities.

Although audio quality is frequently an issue, you have the option to accept or reject any job, which is hugely important.

So long as they are needing more contractors, you can do this work with no experience once you pass the initial exam (which is difficult). At the beginning level, it will be very hard to make any significant money - still, for those willing to put in the time and effort to gain experience and expertise, there is ample opportunity to advance.
Cons
Lack of auto correction built into the program. Sometimes lull in work available.
Amazing At-Home Job
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  At homeJune 27, 2018
TranscribeMe really is an amazing place to work, especially for people who need to work from home. They have very honest business practices, and it is almost entirely up to you how much, when, and how fast you work. The pay tends to be low at first, but there is a clear method for moving up the ladder and sometimes tripling your pay (not including speed improvements). As long as you aren't one of those people who join expecting to be paid a lot and then give up quickly, the pay ends up being quite reasonable. The employees are amazing, and you can talk to co-workers on a shared website. You need to have a very solid understanding of grammar and a bit of a perfectionist streak. If you have those things, you will thrive.
Pros
Great environment, flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay at first
a nice company with a non-stressful working time
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 25, 2018
Although the waiting time is long for the validation of a job application, the workspace is very intuitive, the manager always provides details, which helps to perform our work seriously. It's practically the best transcription company that exists
Easy going, at your own paced job
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeMay 16, 2018
This is an easy going job if you are proficient in typing and grammar. Have to transcribe a lot to make a little, however. If you're motivated for this kind of work, go for it! You work at your own pace.
Pros
Work whenever
Cons
Pay little per job
A great side job, but doesn't pay enough to make a living off of.
General Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 2, 2018
I loved the flexible hours, which makes it easy to fit transcribing in whenever you have some time in your day. The company's social media site, Yammer, is a great place to hang out with coworkers and ask questions if you are unsure about something work-related. My bosses and coworkers are all very friendly, helpful, and encouraging.
Pros
Flexible hours, great workplace culture
Cons
Low pay
Typing
Transcriber (Current Employee) –  Enterprise, KSDecember 22, 2017
A typical day at work would consist of logging on, listening to sound bytes and typing out the conversations heard. It was quite an interesting place to work. It was online, easy to do anywhere. I could even do the job in my pj's. The Job also had the most interesting conversations, but of course, you were not allowed to discuss anything you heard. Overall it was an amazing place to work
Pros
Interesting, easy, your on pase
Cons
Bad audio, competed for sound bytes
Okay for at home work.
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 6, 2017
The wages for the amount of work you do aren’t fair unless you’re very experienced as a transcriptionist and have the appropriate equipment. Self managed so if you can do it effectively I’m sure it would work better for you than for me.
It's a Wonderful Job
QA (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 1, 2017
I enjoyed working from home and not having to travel to and from my job. It was a pleasant and wonderfully relaxed experience for me. The work was very scarce, but there was always someone there to offer you advice and help in with work issues or work related problems. Other department would offer work, training and/or projects that would also help you gain experience working in other fields and learning new tasks while earning.

I truly enjoyed working for this innovative company and would recommend working here for anyone who would like to supplement their income and receive bonuses and prizes offered by the many departments managers.
Pros
Working at home.
Cons
Not enough work to have a full time pay.
Flexible hours, Supportive community
Transcriptionist/Quality Assurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  VirtualAugust 30, 2017
Take as many jobs as you would like after passing entrance test
Make sure you adhere to style guidelines.
Supportive community!
Ask questions, get quick feedback
Just for Experience/Supplemental Income
Online Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJuly 17, 2017
High time input for low compensation. Pay per audio hour, not actual hours worked. If you can comprehend and type within the stylistic framework quickly, you will be proportionately compensated. It's all online and you can work when and where you want - provided you have internet access and a computer. A decent way to work on voice comprehension, listening, typing, and language skills while making a bit of money in the process. Any money made will only be supplemental- pay out does not occur until $20-30 are accumulated.
Pros
good for language/typing practice/experience, supplemental income, work online when and where you want
Cons
can be time consuming for little pay out, pay is per audio hour- not actual hours worked
Ok company
Transcriber (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaJune 4, 2017
You have to really work to see money. Sometimes the work is not always there at the time you want. You would maybe transcribe 2 audios and then there would be no more and you would have to check back. You have to gauge when the best times to get frequent work would be. But it may not necessarily be during the times you need.
Pros
Work at Home
Cons
You have to really work to even see the pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TranscribeMe. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP20%
In the Top 20% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at TranscribeMe.

Powered by Comparably