TranscribeMe
65Average

TranscribeMe Employee Reviews

United States42 reviews
This was a fun place to work for a little while. Certainly can't make a living at it unless you are amazing, but is a nice place to spend some time and make a little money.
On average, my experiences were positive. There was always work available, and it is a good place to make some extra money or WFH. The staff and management were always responsive, but the pay could be better for what was sometimes pretty tedious work.
Pros
Remote, flexible work
Cons
Poor pay
TM provide great support to members through yammer but the pay is terrible. The job requires accuracy, excellent typing skills, and strict adherence to their style guide. The entrance exam and subsequent exams take 6-8 hours to complete and most people fail on their first few tries. The work is broken up into chunks typically 2-4 minutes long. Pay is at a rate of $15-$22 per audio hour or $.50 for a 2 minute chunk, $1.46 for a 4 minute chunk once you’re on a special team. When you first get started a 2 minute chunk can take 40-60 minutes especially if you have a lot of names and terms to research or poor audio with a lot of background noise. Your work is reviewed by quality control and if rejected for mistakes you don’t get paid for that chunk. The work provides a lot of opportunity to learn about various industries and topics, but it’s a lot of research and typing for very poor pay.
TranscribeMe is a great place to work but be aware that the pay, as with most transcription companies, is mediocre at best. If you're looking for pocket money and flexibility in your working hours then this could be for you. TranscribeMe's full-time employees and independent transcribers are all very supportive and helpful, and there are opportunities to advance and receive higher rates of pay although again, it's hardly what you would call a living wage.
Pros
Friendly, supportive work environment.
Cons
Low pay.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Great working community. Very helpful and always willing to work with you to help you improve. They teach you not at you. I feel very thankful to be a small part of this company!!
TranscribeMe is great.
With some patience and perseverance, after the first few months, I found my place on the transcription teams. I enjoy the work. I think TranscribeMe is a great place to work.
Pros
Remote work, friendly people, flexible hours
Cons
Work may ebb and flow at times, but overall, after the, going on two years that I've been there, I usually can pick up enough jobs to serve my needs.
I love TranscribeMe! I've definitely found a home here. The trainers are so helpful and friendly, there's plenty of room for advancement. In the year I've been here, I've climbed several rungs of the ladder. It's not a place to get rich, but it's good steady income for anyone who's willing to work for it. I'm happy to say that they accept nothing but the best, as far as work is concerned, and we keep our clients happy! Great company! Highly recommend!
Pros
Create your own schedule. Work from home any time of day or night!
Yes, you start out making next to nothing, but it’s basically paid training. In quick time, however, you can move up, get on more “teams” of work, which makes more work available for you. The “management” is super supportive, along with fellow employees who are more than willing to help you out. Schedule is flexible to what works for you. It’s not huge money you’re making, but it is decent extra cash, and it’s flexible, and you’re working from home. For me, it’s a perfect fit.
Really can't say enough good things about this company. Sadly was let go due to legislation because it's an unfortunate time for freelancers but that's not really the company's fault.

I worked for TM for three years and during that time I was able to advance to QA editor, work on really interesting and well-paying projects, join teams, and meet some great people who cared about the freelancers and also the clients. The TM Yammer is what really connects the freelancers and team leads.

After you join special teams is when you get the non-stop work, so don't give up until you join those. Really, the pay increases a whole lot when you get to edit your own files and send straight to the client.

Always interesting work ranging from emergency dispatch, race car, business, legal, education. You can join the medical team and learn a whole lot of medical and HIPAA-compliance. Able to work offline on some projects and learn different kinds of transcription software.

Yes, the pay could be higher for entry-level transcribers and you certainly cannot live off the money during this time. But I always considered that the "free education" period that the company gives everyone. Then, as you keep practicing, asking questions, and learning you end up getting exactly what you put in, no more and no less. I consider myself a professional transcriptionist now and that's pretty impressive considering this is an app-based, crowdfunding sort of company.

Anyway! Loved the company and experience-- 10/10, would recommend.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at TranscribeMe?
I created an account by singing in with Google, and then realized that it was a Customer account instead of a Transcriptionist account. Oops. I immediately made another account with my second email to sign up as a transcriptionist instead. DO NOT DO THIS! I spent around 6 hours to study and complete the exams in both French and English and passed them both. I had to wait 1 day for a response from the website. Their response was that they detected "fraudulent activity" with my account and they banned me from their site FOR LIFE. Apparently, under no circumstance should you have created two accounts. Even though I never signed into the first one and never used it (I didn't even confirm it by email)!

They seemed to be suggesting that I could have cheated on the exams as a result of having these two accounts. They did not explain how that makes sense, and they blatantly lied to me in saying that I hadn't followed the rules that are mentioned in the instructions before creating an account. I looked through the FAQ that they suggest you read before creating an account and there is not a single mention of the risk of being banned for life due to having created two accounts with them. When I contacted them and politely explained my mistake in creating the Customer account first, they just rigidly doubled down on their assumption that I had engaged in fraudulent activity, and made it clear that they are not interested in the specifics of why I made the mistake.

I suggest avoiding this company at all costs, as they clearly don't value your time and will punish you disproportionately
 - more...
It was better when I first started, when audio chunks were longer. But then they slashed the audio down to a few seconds per chunk...which probably gets the job done faster for the customer but absolutely DEVASTATES the earning potential of the job. It was no longer worth it...very difficult to make even $6 an hour. Frankly, this sort of thing should be illegal. Even when there was enough work available, and I was putting in 40+ hours a week typing continuously...I never made as much as I would have working fewer hours at Taco Bell.
This is an online job. It was difficult to make any money due to how the pay is allotted.You had to type one hour of audi, and that may or may not take one hour time-wise. However, I am considering trying again to see if I can increase speed (as a side job).
The jobs are in small chunks, so it is very easy to have a flexible work life. At the same time, it doesn't pay very much at first and the advancement tests are difficult to pass. At least you can try them as many times as you like. It is a great place to start with transcription. It helped me to get in the door with other companies that were similar but offered more.
Pros
Great place to start, flexible, chance for advancement
Cons
Short jobs, doesn't pay much, difficult to advance, jobs are first come, frist serve
Seems like there is quite a bit of opportunity for advancement, but I'm not quite sure when that will ever happen. I joined over a week ago. The application process was slow and unpaid. You have to transcribe some audio, study, answer questions about their guide. Okay, not so bad. I thought I'd make up for it later. Well, it's later and I haven't had ONE job, Not one. I check daily, several times a day throughout the day from 5 am-11pm EST. NO JOBS available. Not sure how you're supposed to move up if you can't log any tine, I found another company that actually has work available. Too bad I wasted my time on the whole application process.
TranscribeMe is an awesome work from home opportunity for anyone looking for some extra income. If you can pass the skills tests and consistently turn in quality work it will lead to more teams and higher pay. I don’t recommend it as a replacement for a full-time job though.
If you are good with the English language and basic grammar and sentence structure, this is a good way to earn a little bit of extra money. While the beginning is a bit slow, the more exams you pass and teams you join, the more work will become available to you. This is also a fantastic job for stay at home moms or students (18+) that are looking to earn a little bit extra. You work when you want to and don't have to work every day. Go at your own pace and earn some pocket change.
I worked for TranscribeMe on and off for about three weeks and earned a total of $17.00. I was not able to withdraw this money because it was below the company's $20 threshold for withdrawal. I did not want to continue wasting my time for so little compensation. I feel this is exploitative and a waste of time. The wages are so low that I feel like it almost constitutes a scam.
I can only describe what it's like as a rookie. There's not enough work. My first month (yes, month) I made $34. That's it. Advancement is available, but anything less than a 98.6% grade on a test is considered failing. Learn their rules to the T.
TranscribeMe was easy to work for - it was easy to pick up jobs when they were available and I personally have never found transcription very hard - but the time spent doing the job did not always seem fairly compensated, especially for jobs that were poorly recorded. As far as coworkers and "workplace culture", there was an online group for all the transcriptionists which was kept pretty up to date with information on jobs available, questions on formatting, etc. It was nice to have contact with the other people working for the same company without having to go into an office setting.
Pros
Set your own schedule
Cons
Compensation rate; jobs not always available
Not only does TrandcribeMe pay you pennies for hours of work they give you very little room for advancement. The enviornment at TranscribeMe is very fake and extremely competitive. The people who manage the employees are extremely rude and unhelpful. Working for this company for over a month and have not been able to earn ANY money. Very luttle work available and when you attempt to qualify for a different position the exam is completely unreasonable. Very dissapointing and franly upsetting. I hope this company closes its doors because it is a company that certainly does not give its employees the respect and pay they deserve. STAY FAR AWAY FROM TRANSCRIBEME.
Pros
Cons
Little to no pay, feels like a scam
This felt like a job that was basically working for free. Stressful, often difficult audio (think heavy accents and lots of background noise), inconsistent project availability, and making pennies for your time. Would not recommend.