TranscribeMe

• Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Side gig. Deceiving pay.

I’m gonna be real. It comes out to about three dollars an hour if I’m working fast currently. Sure, you’ll improve on speed as you go but to be paid for two minutes when what you did was two hours is not what you want if you ever have to use money for necessities.The people are very nice. I use this when procrastinating other things and just pretend it’s not for money at all so that it’ll be a pleasant surprise $20 eventually. So no it isn’t actually twenty-five an hour. But the feeling you got from reading that initially sticks with you as though it were true. When you first start out don’t be surprised if it comes out as low as forty-five cents an hour.

Pros

Remote, free schedule

Cons

Sometimes there’s no work available, misleading about compensation

Productive place to work

You learn something new each day, the audio quality is poor which makes the job harder and you don’t get paid for that time, resulting in an increase in stress

Pros

You make your hours

Cons

Low pay

It's a freelance transcription company.

They don't pay that well, but they can be a little forgiving with the work. A lot of the audio depends on what time of day you log on. If you log on during the middle of the day, you get a better chance of more work and good quality audio. Early morning and late night, you're more likely to get the poor audio quality or no jobs available.

Pros

Completely remote with the option to work whenever you want and for how long.

Cons

First come first serve for audio and poor pay if you're just starting out.

Very low pay, barely any work to get

To get work, one has to login on the system and keep watching to see if any audio clips appear, and then immediately snatch them up. So you waste time staring at the screen waiting for work, then the 2-minute audio clip can up taking a long time to transcribe if there are names or terms to research, or if the audio quality is poor. To become a transcriber, you have to pass a bunch of tests, which take several hours -- this is not paid. You also cannot get your pay deposited into your account unless it reaches a certain amount (I think it was $20). So, when I started out, there was hardly any work at all and I was unable to reach the threshold to actually collect the money for the work that I had completed because there were no clips for me to transcribe. And if you don't complete any transcription for a certain period of time your account is deactivated, meaning you lose any money you had earned and would have to redo all the unpaid testing in order to be reactivated. Definitely not worth it!

Cons

Can't get money when you want it, not enough clips for number of transcribers, lengthy and unpaid training/testing

Great experience so far! Management team is helpful, friendly, and encouraging. Work from home😊

TranscribeMe has been a fun learning experience so far. A lot of these review questions on Indeed (ex. about maternity/paternity leave, paid time off, how they are responding to COVID-19) are not applicable to TM. And there was no N/A option. Since we work as independent contractors/freelancers and not employees, there is no sick time, vacation time, etc. But you work when you want to work - there aren't any set hours. And you get to work from home in your pajamas!Everyone has been so friendly and super helpful. You can ask any question and someone will get back to you quickly. And they actually want you to succeed! As far as pay, it's kinda low to start, especially since I was super slow! But I can tell I have improved a lot over my first six weeks. And there is room for advancement, with pay increases. And working from home is fabulous - my first time!!

Pros

Work from home. Super friendly management and teammates.

Cons

Pay is low, at least to start

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Wonderful environment and incredible flexibility

TranscribeMe has an absolutely phenomenal work culture; interacting with coworkers and team leads is an absolute joy every single time. Work guidelines/expectations are very well laid out and explained and they give you everything you could possibly need to succeed while providing help and encouragement. The schedule flexibility is incredible; you choose when and how much you want to work. There's a lot of room for advancement as well, and the entire atmosphere is uplifting and motivating.

Pros

100% flexibility, incredible company culture, everything is very well organized, etc

Cons

If you are slow at the work, it'll take a while to build up money, but the more you do it the faster you get.

Amazing company culture, supportive team

I’ve worked for TranscribeMe for almost two years. This job saved my family when we were having financial stress. I work a completely flexible schedule (usually after my children are in bed). I love how advancement opportunities are entirely in my hands. I join every workflow I can in order to increase the availability of work to me so I manage to stay busy. The people here are fun and supportive, and because it’s a global company, someone is always available to help!

Pros

Flexibility, work from home, advancement opportunities

Excellent for self-starters

The company has a great culture and respects its employees. There are opportunities for advancement or you can just stick with a comfortable team and work when you want. Pay could be better but it’s really an easy job to get into.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Salary

Great experience

Great experience I liked learning. They have training available and test you have to take to get work. If you fail a test you get to take it again after a certain period of time has passed.

Pros

Great flexible schedule

Cons

Not enough work at times

Independent work

Great communication in the message boards. Sadly, you work as a contractor so if your state has restrictions on that you can’t find any work. Loved this job

Pros

Easy to adapt

Cons

Can be long hours and restrictions on contractors

Hard work, fun work community but low pay

Great community, but very poor pay. You can improve your pay by passing more exams, and advancing up the ladder. Not advisable if you're looking for quick cash, but it could serve as extra side income.

Pros

Learning experience, good support

Cons

Low pay

Great Side Hustle with Possible Advancement

Transcription isn't for everyone, but a typical day at TME consists of transcribing audio files at your leisure. Files come in a few times a week are usually 1-2 minutes long. There's plenty of opportunities for advancement, and an awesome community on Yammer where everyone can connect.

Pros

Work from home whenever you want, advancement opportunities

Cons

No benefits

Flexible work low pay

It is a great for beginners who don’t have any experience, but the work is hard and the pay is very low. There is opportunity for advancement if you put in the effort.

Pros

Flexible great learning environment

Cons

Low pay

Great Remote Position

TranscribeMe is ideal for me. I'm also an entrepreneur and I'm able to spend time on my other endeavors while still earning extra cash. The opportunity to advance is amazing. If you study and adhere to the style guides, advancement will soon follow. Someone is always available to answer questions whether it be staff or teammates.

Easy work from home

Grateful for this job. Easy to follow guidelines and the pay isn’t terrible. The projects are interesting and at times the audio quality is difficult.

Fun culture, lots of work available, low pay

This was a fun place to work for a little while. Certainly can't make a living at it unless you are amazing, but is a nice place to spend some time and make a little money.

Good for WFH

On average, my experiences were positive. There was always work available, and it is a good place to make some extra money or WFH. The staff and management were always responsive, but the pay could be better for what was sometimes pretty tedious work.

Pros

Remote, flexible work

Cons

Poor pay

Interesting Work, but very low pay for effort.

TM provide great support to members through yammer but the pay is terrible. The job requires accuracy, excellent typing skills, and strict adherence to their style guide. The entrance exam and subsequent exams take 6-8 hours to complete and most people fail on their first few tries. The work is broken up into chunks typically 2-4 minutes long. Pay is at a rate of $15-$22 per audio hour or $.50 for a 2 minute chunk, $1.46 for a 4 minute chunk once you’re on a special team. When you first get started a 2 minute chunk can take 40-60 minutes especially if you have a lot of names and terms to research or poor audio with a lot of background noise. Your work is reviewed by quality control and if rejected for mistakes you don’t get paid for that chunk. The work provides a lot of opportunity to learn about various industries and topics, but it’s a lot of research and typing for very poor pay.

Good, helpful work environment. Mediocre pay.

TranscribeMe is a great place to work but be aware that the pay, as with most transcription companies, is mediocre at best. If you're looking for pocket money and flexibility in your working hours then this could be for you. TranscribeMe's full-time employees and independent transcribers are all very supportive and helpful, and there are opportunities to advance and receive higher rates of pay although again, it's hardly what you would call a living wage.

Pros

Friendly, supportive work environment.

Cons

Low pay.

Encouraging crowd community.

Great working community. Very helpful and always willing to work with you to help you improve. They teach you not at you. I feel very thankful to be a small part of this company!! TranscribeMe is great.

I think TranscribeMe is a great place to work.

With some patience and perseverance, after the first few months, I found my place on the transcription teams. I enjoy the work. I think TranscribeMe is a great place to work.

Pros

Remote work, friendly people, flexible hours

Cons

Work may ebb and flow at times, but overall, after the, going on two years that I've been there, I usually can pick up enough jobs to serve my needs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TranscribeMe. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 15%
In the Top 15% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at TranscribeMe.
Powered byComparably