Transitions Hospice Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse Case Manager

Terrible company.
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  East Central IllinoisApril 9, 2019
I was an RN case manager for this company. I loved my work, my patients and their families. It was very rewarding work.
However, management was poor---took forever for them to return phone calls that I made with questions regarding patient care. Often no one would return my calls on weekends.
We worked 12 hour shifts, then would be on call for 12 hours that night and expected to drive up to 2 hours away for any phone
call.Very poor communication.
During my employment, they lost a contract with a large nursing home for poor work and communication.
You couldn't give notice, because they would fire you on the spot if you did.
Very poor training.
I didn't even receive state mandated minimum for my mileage.
I had been an RN for over 20 years and my salary was the worst that I had ever received.
I left and didn't look back.
If you're interested in hospice nursing care; please look elsewhere.
Pros
Free uniforms
Cons
VERY expensive healthcare; ridiculous.No raises.
Oppressive job with no communication
RN Case Manager Hospice (Former Employee) –  Central East IllinoisOctober 27, 2018
There is no communication with employees and management hides information that directly effects patient care. Benefits are terrible and cost of benefits are extremely high. The company decided to switch insurance providers in the middle of the year, and didn’t tell employees until 2 weeks into open enrollment. Work life balance doesn’t exist, and the company continues to demand more and more from employees but there is never a “thank you” for the extra time that is worked.
Company is not transparent about amount of required call time. They are actually not transparent about anything, and they change or make up rules as they go along. Company will not put anything in writing.
Pros
Cons
Amount of on call
Proud to work for Transitions Hospice
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Huntley, ILSeptember 17, 2018
RN Case Manager at Transitions Hospice. Huntley area location. Had prior hospice experience as RN prior to hire at Transitions. Outstanding quality to patient care. Quality to patient care never lacked despite periods of increased growth throughout company. Patient focused care and dedicated staff 24 hours.

Staff is dedicated to working in team approach. Weekly interdisciplinary meeting held weekly and are productive and great learning opportunities. Excellent hospice medical director, physicians, and NPs that respond within minutes to calls, text, emails helping create care plans and treatment orders. Medical team is available for coaching and development of hospice knowledge. NPs have made joint visits to patient homes with me in challenging situations. Acknowledgement from management when visiting corporate office. Hospice CEO, directors, and company leaders make effort to say hello and ask how things are going. Over the years I have participated in meetings with managers who have invited me into office for feedback on ways to promote ways to improve care in the field. Positive and negative feedback was always received professionally. Improvements I have observed over past years has been introduction of the extended care team with dedicated night clinical staff that greatly relieved the daytime clinical staff of heavy afterhours responsibilities. Work life balance improved greatly with this change. As of now it is very rare to be called out for work after hours. If so, pay scales have increased allowing for fair compensation of additional hours worked. My requested for
  more... PTO / Sick time have never been an issue and coworkers and nurse managers have been very understanding for need for vacations and time away from work.  less
Stay away!
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Champaign County, ILFebruary 20, 2018
I do not recommend this company at all! They do not have direct deposit, so good luck with getting it in the bank on Friday. There is absolutely little Management or support, and I drove over 500 miles in 3 days! There is a very small gas stipend of 92 per pay period which barely covers what is spent. You are not compensated per mileage, and you are not given any stipend for wear and tear on your vehicle. There are constant changes, with very little communication. If it is your weekend to work, and there isn’t a night shift nurse available, you take call. Sometimes, you work all day and night, and your management expects you to be ready to see patients the next day. The turnover rate is VERY high! The interview process is very “cushy” and they pad the job and responsibilities just to hook you in. Do not fall for it. Do not try to question management, or talk about fairness, because they’ll tell you to deal with it or find another job. The level of professionalism in this company is very low. There is absolutely no structure, and very little support. The training is absolutely terrible as well. I had very little training when hired. The benefits are dismal at best. The insurance is very expensive for little coverage. The paid time off is very minimal at about 1 hour per pay period. This is well below most area hospitals. Lastly, there is little room for growth, because management will create new positions and just promote who they want for the position. There is no formal application process amongst active employees to give fairness to those who may be interested in the position.  more... I would not recommend someone to work here. This company is very understaffed for the demand. Just stay away!  less
Pros
Not being in an office or building for twelve hours. Working with the patients and families.
Cons
Poor management, understaffed, poor benefits, no direct deposit, little to no support, poor stipends
RN Case Manager review
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Champaign County, ILDecember 14, 2017
Anyone who loves hospice might embrace the concept and be excited about this opportunity. But don't just kick the tires, look under the hood closely. Ask tough questions and ask about how many former employees have left and why and monitor the reaction. Look closely to see if there's defensiveness and the blame game. Ask yourself if there's a reason all those nurses left. Ask to interview with the staff alone. This may be a huge leap and you want to have a sense of the culture and support for ensuring your success in the field, is an important component.
With all that presentation --which can be a slick sales pitch--be prepared the delivery is questionable and the way staff are treated is deplorable. They may beef up the poor training and the onerous call schedule and hire a local manager that they don't currently have, but....upper management is arrogant, condescending, dismissive of ideas, mocks people behind their backs and will downright dress you down with an aggressive barrage if you ask a legitimate question that they feel is threatening. If you question some practice you will be told, "you just don't understand the hospice concept."
Most don't begrudge anyone making a profit but you will be treated like a dog if you calmly discuss facts that don't add to the profit margin.
As a RN with experience, I refuse to be an apologist for organizations that talk a big game but lack basic fundamentals, thinking rapid growth is a fix. Don't confuse growth with thriving. There are some good people working there...but sadly they aren't in control.
Finally, the benefits
  more... aren't competitive...40 hours of vacation a year isn't even close to standard. United Healthcare for insurance is high deductible. The 401k match varies on what the owner wants to do year to year. $200/mo for car may not cover gas/wear and tear, given that the coverage area is wide and they send RNs to every call no matter the reason.
Only take the position if you don't have anything to lose.
Pros
Getting outside to go from place to place
Cons
Hostile, arrogant, and passive-aggressive management who deflect their toxic issues.
Good
Home Hospice Services Provider., RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 15, 2017
Good working environment; good people; excellent mission. Compassionate coworkers and special patients and families. Work recommend this work to all.