Transitions Hospice Employee Reviews

Poor work environment
Jack of All Trades (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 22, 2018
I, personally, would not recommend Transitions as a place of employment. The employees are not valued, in my opinion. Leadership is poor and unorganized. The environment is chaotic. . Communication is poor. Employees are frequently upset and disgruntled. Significant changes are made frequently without thought about how they will impact the staff. These changes include changing an employee's role or work hours/days abruptly without considering the impact that this will have on the employee or the employee's family. Employees are not encouraged to grow in their professional roles, or to contribute their skills and knowledge for the betterment of the company. This company was set up with some of the most intelligent, knowledgeable and experienced hospice professionals in the Indianapolis area, but for that reason, those clinicians have been pushed out the door one by one. Their knowledge and experience is not needed, nor wanted. You don't need smart people when ultimately, you don't want their input. These employees could not be moved out of the way any faster.
In fact,with employee after employee submitting their resignation one right after the other, one would thing that the ownership/leadership would question what is going on. Nope! Nothing. It was as if this is actually what they intended to happen. Not one question or comment when resignations were being turned in. I would have at least expected something, maybe, "Hey, I am sorry to see you go", or "Is there anything we can do to change your mind?" Nothing was said...crickets...Another significant issue
  more... at Transitions is micromanagement. This significantly decreases job satisfaction. In fact, so much time is spent micromanaging everything that everyone is doing, that other very important things are being overlooked. Employees do not feel trusted because of this. Dictatorship is truly the leadership style. Some of the "leaders" that come from the Illinois branches seem to have ulterior motives. They lie, manipulate and thrive off of the drama. If an employee were to come to one of them with an idea, they would turn it around and make it as though it was their idea. It seems as though the goal is to make others appear incompetent and incapable, while at the same time they desire to make themselves look heroic in their efforts to "fix" all the issues. Ultimately, I feel that the people who do these types of things have a very low sense of self worth. They thrive off of the praise and recognition that they get from the ownership. The technology that staff are expected to use is way outdated and is in poor, used condition. Employees do not receive mileage, only a car allowance which generally isn't enough to cover the miles that they drive, gas and wear and tear on their vehicle. It's a sad state of affairs. Save yourself the headache, drama and heartache and do not become employed with Transitions.  less
Pros
Salary is competitive, office location is convenient, office space is nice, friendly local staff
Cons
Just about everything other than the pro's listed
Compassionate Hospice Company
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntley, ILJuly 21, 2018
A typical work day consisted of visiting anywhere from 6-9 patients a day then document on each visit. I learned many things in regards to the end of life symptoms and management. The hardest part of the job is bonding with patients and losing them. The most enjoyable part of the job was the appreciation expressed by the patients for the care provided.
Pros
Great Co workers
Cons
Workload
Good patient care but flawed management
Regional Nurse Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Huntley, ILJuly 9, 2018
This company seemed to grow too quickly and lost focus for a time. I can not speak to their quality of care at this time. After Passages Hospice closed the CEO/owner of transitions was determined to grow into areas that they had served. Growth was too rapid and not well planned.
Great perspective on the industry not enough money
Hospice Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntley, ILMay 21, 2018
I enjoyed working here it just did not pay enough for the amount of driving required. I love the philosophy of care and believe in the CEO's vision. I wish they paid CNAs more.
Pros
Great care philosophy
Cons
too much driving
Medical Social Work intern
Medical Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Huntley, ILMay 8, 2018
I learned a great deal about what it is like to be a medical social worker. The staff was very helpful in helping me learn to the best of their ability. I highly recommend them for an internship.
Stay away!
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Champaign County, ILFebruary 20, 2018
I do not recommend this company at all! They do not have direct deposit, so good luck with getting it in the bank on Friday. There is absolutely little Management or support, and I drove over 500 miles in 3 days! There is a very small gas stipend of 92 per pay period which barely covers what is spent. You are not compensated per mileage, and you are not given any stipend for wear and tear on your vehicle. There are constant changes, with very little communication. If it is your weekend to work, and there isn’t a night shift nurse available, you take call. Sometimes, you work all day and night, and your management expects you to be ready to see patients the next day. The turnover rate is VERY high! The interview process is very “cushy” and they pad the job and responsibilities just to hook you in. Do not fall for it. Do not try to question management, or talk about fairness, because they’ll tell you to deal with it or find another job. The level of professionalism in this company is very low. There is absolutely no structure, and very little support. The training is absolutely terrible as well. I had very little training when hired. The benefits are dismal at best. The insurance is very expensive for little coverage. The paid time off is very minimal at about 1 hour per pay period. This is well below most area hospitals. Lastly, there is little room for growth, because management will create new positions and just promote who they want for the position. There is no formal application process amongst active employees to give fairness to those who may be interested in the position.  more... I would not recommend someone to work here. This company is very understaffed for the demand. Just stay away!  less
Pros
Not being in an office or building for twelve hours. Working with the patients and families.
Cons
Poor management, understaffed, poor benefits, no direct deposit, little to no support, poor stipends
Great culture at work place.
Medical Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Huntley, ILJanuary 21, 2018
This is a great place to work if you really care about what you do. Hours are long but work hours are flexible. Not paid by mile and automobile stipend does not cover upkeep on car or miles driven.
Pros
Flexiable work hours, Great place to work
Cons
Long hours, not paid by mile
RN Case Manager review
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Champaign County, ILDecember 14, 2017
Anyone who loves hospice might embrace the concept and be excited about this opportunity. But don't just kick the tires, look under the hood closely. Ask tough questions and ask about how many former employees have left and why and monitor the reaction. Look closely to see if there's defensiveness and the blame game. Ask yourself if there's a reason all those nurses left. Ask to interview with the staff alone. This may be a huge leap and you want to have a sense of the culture and support for ensuring your success in the field, is an important component.
With all that presentation --which can be a slick sales pitch--be prepared the delivery is questionable and the way staff are treated is deplorable. They may beef up the poor training and the onerous call schedule and hire a local manager that they don't currently have, but....upper management is arrogant, condescending, dismissive of ideas, mocks people behind their backs and will downright dress you down with an aggressive barrage if you ask a legitimate question that they feel is threatening. If you question some practice you will be told, "you just don't understand the hospice concept."
Most don't begrudge anyone making a profit but you will be treated like a dog if you calmly discuss facts that don't add to the profit margin.
As a RN with experience, I refuse to be an apologist for organizations that talk a big game but lack basic fundamentals, thinking rapid growth is a fix. Don't confuse growth with thriving. There are some good people working there...but sadly they aren't in control.
Finally, the benefits
  more... aren't competitive...40 hours of vacation a year isn't even close to standard. United Healthcare for insurance is high deductible. The 401k match varies on what the owner wants to do year to year. $200/mo for car may not cover gas/wear and tear, given that the coverage area is wide and they send RNs to every call no matter the reason.
Only take the position if you don't have anything to lose.
Pros
Getting outside to go from place to place
Cons
Hostile, arrogant, and passive-aggressive management who deflect their toxic issues.
Good
Home Hospice Services Provider., RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 15, 2017
Good working environment; good people; excellent mission. Compassionate coworkers and special patients and families. Work recommend this work to all.
Regional Hospice Coordinator
Regional Hospice Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILSeptember 13, 2017
I feel the company is a great place to work. The patients and families are the primary focus. Transitions ownership believes in providing hospice the way it should be done. This is a growing company, growing at 25 -30% annually. If you are a patient advocate this is the right place for you.
Good company
Registered Nurse-Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntley, ILAugust 22, 2017
Good team work,, decent benefits,, lots of paper work,, driving,, on call,, working over nights,, wonderful patients,, great families,, good pain control,
Not a good company
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJuly 17, 2017
Not a good company for nursing assistant
Company is for management
Over load of clients
Low mileage pay
This sums it up
Not enough assistance to provide patients who are dying
Pros
Cons
Over worked under paid
Fair place to work. Definite improvements are needed for staff satisfaction.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntley, ILJune 28, 2017
Overall company is more focused on achieving the dollar than concerned about patients or staff. Concerns of the nursing staff would be ignored and not addressed.
Pros
few
Cons
too many to list
I loved my job
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Huntley, ILJune 17, 2017
I enjoyed working with my coworkers both in the office and in the field. I worked with volunteers which was very rewarding.
I did not like the lack of communication that often happened.
I learned to be a self starter, and was challenged in my role.
Hardest part of my job was juggling all the demands of many different areas, sometimes at a very stressful pace.
Pros
Great co-workers, employees and staff are very dedicated.
Cons
Lack of communication from management to staff. very low raises, big turnover.
flexible hours
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntley, ILMay 11, 2017
you can make your own schedule and have a great team. You can spend more time with your patients and provide better care to them as well. Great company as long as the census is up.
Enjoyable part of job
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Calhoun, GAMay 3, 2017
The most enjoyable part of this job was the interactions with my patients and their families. I enjoyed caring for each patient and supporting the family during this difficult time in their lives.
Rewarding job that allows you to set your own pace and schedule.
Certified Nurses Assistant (Former Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 15, 2016
A typical day working for transitions starts with a drive to your first pt. Once you arrive you provide the palliative care along with general duties any CNA would be expected to perform. Then you would drive to your next location and so on until your daily schedule was complete.
Pros
You make your own schedule, break when you want to, pay is good, paid for mileage on your car.
Cons
A lot of driving is required of you.
Productive and fun place to volunteer and work!
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAApril 25, 2015
Friendly staff, and great bonding with the patients. Enjoyed volunteering and speaking with patients and reviewing.
Pros
Making the patients smile
Cons
paper work to fill out for each patient
Hospice at it Finest!
Regional Nurse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Naperville, IlDecember 1, 2013
I enjoy working for and with individuals who are committed to caring for others.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Transitions Hospice. Our community is ready to answer.