Transport America Employee Reviews

Worst job ever!!!!!
OTR Driver/Dedicated (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJanuary 7, 2019
If I could give this company zero stars I definitely would. Transport America is the worse company you could possibly work for. They don’t care about family time or life outside of work. They literally think your whole life is suppose to revolve around the company. Pay is HORRIBLE! They start new drivers out with more pay but don’t give the drivers that’s been working there a raise. They also promise a pay raise for veterans but don’t go through with it. The dispatchers are nasty and rude. They will plead with you to deliver loads in rain,sleet, hail, or snow. They don’t care about the driver’s safety only the money they’re getting off the load. Night and weekend dispatchers are useless. They don’t know nothing and are never of help. Every time there’s a mishap it’s ALWAYS the driver’s fault. The dispatchers never take responsibility for their actions. Also, they put things on your DAC/MVR that’s not true. If you’re looking for a company please look past this one. You WON’T regret!
Pros
Get driving experience over the road
Cons
Low pay, no family time, horrible management
if not for the shop supervisor i had, this would be my absolute favorite job ever
Diesel Mechanic Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 24, 2018
This is a great company with competitive pay and benefits and a great work environment. I thoroughly enjoyed working here, other than my shop supervisor, and I would recommend working here to anyone.
Pros
all around great employer
Cons
Shenard Gordon
Company is a great trucking company to start with and/or retire from
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNMay 31, 2018
The company really wants the drivers to be safe. If you're sick or tired, they don't want you to drive. They will make arrangements to have the load rescheduled or relayed. Compensation is very good for the indusry.
Pros
Very nice terminals with lots of amenities.
Cons
During holiday seasons, freight was not available to get you home.
Decent Company
Owner Operator Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNSeptember 27, 2018
Long term job security is amazing.
Lots of hours........
Great pay..............
Several options for owner operator or regular runs with company truck.
Pros
Flexable
Cons
entertainment for the drivers when they come in to the terminal
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIMay 16, 2018
I enjoyed working for transport America they were patient and very helpful and the work environment was kind of laidback and the people were very nice and friendly.
Pros
free laundry and free detergent to wash your clothes
Cons
healthcare benefits
Not as advertised. Always an excuse why they screw you.
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 15, 2019
I was hired on a new program called "Job Creation." This is an OTR job where the drivers work 5 on and 2 off. They rarely hit the 2 off part.

The really bad part about it is they can't leave the drivers alone. They film the driver constantly. No matter what happens they will find a reason to pull you in on a bi-weekly basis. They want to complain to you about the most minimal occurrences that happen on the camera. If the driver doesn't slow down fast enough they are caught. This is impossible to meet their standards and they know this. They just like whining at you. They also want a reason to fire you when they are in the mood.

There is no cell phone use at all in the cab. No hands free and no maps.

Driver managers and Safety people can not be trusted. I can not stress this enough. These people are cruel. If a driver tells them they want to be home on a certain day they will find excuses to "miss" the date. They will say that the driver didn't send in the right request. A driver can have visible proof that they are wrong, and still they adjust their systems to show that the driver is wrong.
Pros
They pay you most the time
Cons
Can't be trusted
Truck Driver (OTR) (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNApril 2, 2018
Good place to work. They are very safety oriented. Work with drivers on home time. Good benefits and pay scale. Fleet leaders are respectful and will work with you on any issue you may have.
Pros
They stick to their safety conmintments
Cons
Being away from home and family
Very fun and helpful staff.
COMPANY DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNAugust 19, 2018
I would stay with transport america if they could find me a dedicated account that had me home daily. I have worked for TA for over 6 years and it's a little sad to resign. The Safety/Terminal/Dispatch managers at my home terminal will be lifetime references and truly missed. All companies are subject to change, but us as drivers have so much stability in the workforce.
Pros
Safety 1st. Very peaceful work environment. Staff and terminals were acceptably appreciated.
Cons
A lot of executive changes.
Love this company
OTR Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNOctober 24, 2018
My husband and I team drive we have not had any issues with micro managing 4 our of 5 times we are homeon time for Home time. Sometimes we make 6-7 thousand miles a week But average 5-6 ... Don't know how solo drivers are treated but as a team we love it, would recommend this company to anyone
Pros
Good money and miles
Cons
Cant claim a spouse on insurance unless u claim them as a dependant on tax return
Not a good job to work at if you have responsibilities
Transport Driver (Current Employee) –  Dallas txSeptember 1, 2018
I worked here for almost 6 months. I was a OTR driver for the most part things were going well I was getting paid decent than I transferred to Dallas and everything went down hill, mark (safety headquarters) made my time in Dallas very horrible he was very unprofessional, he watched my every move and always had something to say . He even went as far as to insulting my wife. Not to mention I went 5 long hard working weeks without receiving a paycheck.
Professional Truck Driver/ SDI (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJanuary 29, 2019
Good place to work. Maintenance is bad. Miles dropped. A whole lot of North East. A lot of small loads with nothing to follow them. Nights and weekend dispatch have no communication.
Pros
Pay and friendly drivers
Cons
Nights and weekend dispatch and mileage
integrity
Truck driver and dock worker (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNFebruary 5, 2019
This company has no integrity at all they tell you one thing and Duke a completely different you are not given the autonomy that you required to do the job and they constantly want to micro manage your driving
Ambiente bueno por la comunicacion con los pacientes
Driver (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 21, 2019
Sólo q varias ocaciones el trabajo disminuye. Deben atender mas los driver q tienen en la calle. Para q est en complacido con su trabajo
Pros
No hay seguro medico
Cons
Si hay descanso .uno hace el tiempo
Productive work place
Diesel Mechanic Technician (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAJanuary 11, 2019
Learn alot but it's time to move on .need better pay. Great place to work. Great manager good friends. But where I'm at now in my life I need more money
Pros
People
Cons
Pay
Good Comapny - still standard transportation
Director, IS - Operations (Former Employee) –  MnOctober 19, 2018
Pretty good company, lots of opportunity work as hard as you want work as many hours as you want. Hi attention to detail stressful multitasking lots and lots of paperwork. You have to like customer service and problem-solving and working with people
great company
CDL Class A Driver (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaDecember 19, 2018
Ran on a dedicated account, paid by the hour, very stressful at times because of the time requirements of the runs because of the Elds and traffic tie ups that you had no control of
OK Company
OTR DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 5, 2018
Transport America is an ok company to drive for. If you are driving, or team driving, and you have a minor accident, no matter how small. please report it. If you fail to do so, they will terminate you.
Good place to work careing people
OTR Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNJuly 28, 2018
I would stay longer but family needs me home more. Lots of different job opportunities and placements. The will help you and listen to your life needs
Pros
Job advancements
Cons
Health insurance
Excellent company to drive/work for.
Professional Driver/ Local (Former Employee) –  North Liberty, IAJune 10, 2015
During my time at Transport America I have had 0 complaints. this company takes care of its work force. I would definitely work for this company again. I'm fairly certain they would re-hire me as well.

During my time there I transported many goods to and from shippers and their customers. successfully and in a timely manner i might add. the people I worked with were friendly knowledgeable and always made sure to help each other out.

Management was great they always made sure I had what I needed to do my job properly and safely. The hardest part about my job was learning to drive more safely and kick old unsafe driving habits. I can actually say I am an excellent a safe driver because of them.
Pros
great benefits, excellent team work, self driven work.
Cons
It's a driving job so there is the danger of other drivers.
no brakes
Commercial Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNSeptember 17, 2018
They do not want you to hit the brakes, i worked here and they said i hit the brakes to hard and put me with a red neck trainer and i resigned. no other company before or after them told me this. i couldn't drive for all the hook ups in there trucks.
Pros
Robots
Cons
good equipment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Transport America. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

4.6InHerSight Score

4.8Personal Development

4.9Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight