Transportation Security Administration Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 1,197 reviews matching the search See all 1,313 reviews
Management was Terrible
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 23, 2018
The work environment was biased and unfair. No advancement unless you partied with the management. The public was mostly cooperative, but there were a substantial number of ill-mannered passengers.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Everything else
Unfair
Screening Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 20, 2018
The promotions here were completely unfair. When I applied for another supervisor position I was told I wasn't qualified for the position. When I questioned what qualifications I was missing, they were unable to advise.
A day at work is informative and interesting
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Doral, FLMay 19, 2018
I work 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week. I see and hear a lot. I deal with people from different backgrounds, different cultures and different languages. Dealing with all of this is a lot, especially because of the language barriers but overtime it becomes easier and you start to pick up a few words that in the long run helps.
Ever Changing Environment
Quality Manager-Master Black Belt Six Sigma (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 16, 2018
Because of the severity of the job the TSA the aire of the operation was always tense. Nevertheless, the job was always first. It was critical to address every complaint with a serious note not knowing how it could effect national security if all personnel wasn't properly taken care of.
Pros
Always serious
Cons
Imflexible
Coaches should not be allowed to treat trainees the way they do. Very unprofessional.
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 15, 2018
In paper, TSA is a good place to work. They will train you and provide you with the necessary information to carry out your work but when we got to our airport assignment, the coaches are unprofessional, do not know how to teach.
TRANSPORTATION SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 12, 2018
DO NOT WORK HERE. Management is terrible! They will only promote those that are not strong enough to have their own voice! If you miss any work for the first two years than they can fire you. You get in trouble for using sick leave. Attempting to get a day off is near impossible because management will sit on the paperwork and not do it when they should.
good career to learn security Thoroughly.
Lead Transportation Officer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 11, 2018
Can be used for promotional opportunities within agency. Also used as a stepping stone to employment to many other federal employment agencies.Important agency for the security of both passengers and cargo for the safe movement of all transportation industries.
Pros
opportunity, critical security support for aviation industry.
Cons
many quick policy changes, and communication to implement those changes.
get in, then get out
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 10, 2018
It's great as a starting point to just get in the government. But most people don't stay very long. Underpaid and overworked due to people leaving for other agencies.
Fluid
TRANSPORTATION SERCURITY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMay 10, 2018
This workplace is constantly changing. I am attempting to right a review of a company that I haven't worked for in five months. I still have friends that work there, however with many jobs there are good points and bad.
Security Screener
Security Screener (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 8, 2018
I loved working at the airport it was nice meeting people and being able to see movie stars, but not being able to talk to them was a bummer but overall it was great.
Pros
being able to bid on your job
Cons
paying for parking
Trying to do more with less
Transportation Security Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKMay 8, 2018
The work we do is really thankless. The traveling public doesn't like use because we are violating their rights. The airlines don't like use because ewe take to long to get passengers through the screening process. Everyone has forgotten why we are there. I would just like for everyone to remember that the next time they fly the 24 year old in front of them giving them a pat-down or searching their property didn't make the rules they are just doing their jib and they want to protect you and everyone that's coming through their lane on their shift.
very customer service based job
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 7, 2018
TSA Officer duties were diverse because of the flying public but mostly consisted of screening passengers and their personal property. Enjoyed the teamwork aspects of the job
Pros
team oriented
Cons
manditory overtime
Stressful Environment
Supervisory Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 7, 2018
Stressful environment. Hours and work schedules are not conducive for having a life or a family outside of TSA. Benefits are good. Most officers are friendly and hardworking.
Good career but not for everyone
Lead Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAMay 7, 2018
TSA is a great career but with the stress and work hours it is not very good for a family oriented person. Time off is earned but hard to get approval to take. Once a year there are nine test you are required to take, such as x ray, patdowns and bags, which your job depends on. If you fail the text you are terminated. I watched some very good workers get terminated because they got nervous while testing and failed. At the same time I watched workers who only did the minimum in their job pass the test and continue working. promotions are very rare and raises are even more rare. I received one raise while with TSA, other than the raise when I was promoted to Lead, during my entire nine years. The government has to approve the raises and instead of raises the money went to other government agencies. Each year we would go through a government shutdown until the figured out our budget. During the shutdowns you are considered essential and must report to work but you do not receive a paycheck until the shutdown is over and a budget has been agreed on. If you are single it would be a great career.
Pros
clean work enviroment, a great experience
Cons
Government Shutdowns, no oay raises, small chance of promotion.
TSO OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 7, 2018
great job working for TSA has it reward, if you like working with people you will love TSA ,secure the nation is the number one , being an office is fulling.
Pros
like work with passengers
Cons
mangerment need training
Excellent career training, with room for growth
Officer / Trainer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 6, 2018
I worked for TSA at Los Angeles Intl Airport for four years. This is an awesome first job that provides training and advancement opportunities for employees in many areas of work. I developed knowledge in customer service, technological and hardware repair, administrative filing and auditing, and even shift scheduling, all as an officer being trained by supervisors and management.

There were also voluntary online learning libraries for studying software coding, foreign language, and more. These opportunities, combined with the promise of advancement in the public sector and very satisfactory health benefits made TSA a positive experience for me.

The only downside was having to navigate in and out of the airport!
Pros
Great training opportunities for future career trajectory
Cons
LAX was congested and horrible
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 3, 2018
Good starter job for someone looking for employment. Definitely will build work ethic and dependability. Also will test commitment with arrival times.
Current Work Life at TSA
Budget Analyst, Budget Execution Branch (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 3, 2018
Getting a job at TSA has been an incredibly fortunate event for me since having started there back in February of 2017. But things have begun to change, and started changing before I even arrived there. The highest level of leadership is in disarray and seemingly unable to make decisions that help guide the mission of the agency. No one seems to be working toward the same mission any more and people have begun leaving left and right. The confusion obviously create attrition that could have been avoided. On the bright side, the people who do stick around and work there are wonderful public servants and professionals that make working there a joy despite the challenges.
good peope to work with
Lead Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 30354May 3, 2018
management very hands on and observant of daily routines. communicate with stake holders daily improves operations. helps develop interpersonal skills.
Steeping stone for other agencies
Screener (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJ 07114May 3, 2018
If you are between 25-35 and are interested in other government agencies the TSA is a good steeping stone. The pay is not good for the cost of living in most areas and time off is not always available.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Transportation Security Administration. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

45out of 100

The Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Transportation Security Administration.

Powered by Comparably