Transportation Security Administration Employee Reviews

Found 1,454 reviews matching the search See all 1,572 reviews
Highly adversarial workplace
Security Manager - Screening Operations (Current Employee) –  DFW, TXSeptember 20, 2018
High stress environment. TSA work is a thankless job, but the mission and the dedication of their officers is unmatched even in some of the worst environments. My peers kept me coming to this job and the safety of the traveling public kept me dedicated to the mission. Though this job is not one I would recommend to anyone who doesn't have thick skin, I am proud to have served and to continue to serve alongside my colleagues.
Pros
important mission
Cons
stress
great starting job
Lead Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  JFK airport, Queens, NYSeptember 20, 2018
it is a good starting job, however for longevity, it not worth the stress, advancement is based on favoritism and not on work ethic, the management and process of promotion are unfair
Harassed daily
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 20, 2018
Harassed by workers, management and passengers on a daily basis. If you are not in the managers "clique" and make any waves for them, they will target you until you can no longer handle working there any longer. I have too many instances where I was dragged into the office for circumstances beyond my control to even attempt to list. People think anyone who works here is just power hungry and want to flex their muscles to take away items. Its quite the opposite actually. I attempted to keep my head down and just do my job but the mangers would not let me.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
everything else
Work here at your own risk
Transportation Security Officer (TSO) (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IA 50321September 18, 2018
Overworked. Poor management. There's no guaranteed pay raises because it's the federal government. You can be furloughed and not paid but still be required to work.
Fast paced and rewarding
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WASeptember 18, 2018
Working for TSA can be rewarding because you feel important in your role. Have to develop a thick skin against those people who choose to complain about TSA and constantly blame you for them being late to their flight. But you get used to it and as along as you follow the Stand Procedures and use good judgement when it comes to pat downs and bag searches then its a fairly simple job. Team members are always around to offer support and leadership was typically helpful and supportive as well. Have a set schedule and get timely lunch breaks.
Pros
Important jobs, lunch breaks, fast paced, challenges you, team
Cons
Rude people, can be stressful
Good Benefits
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Annapolis Junction, MDSeptember 17, 2018
Great benefits offered. Undesirable shift work Can be stressful at times depending on your position. There can issues when it comes to promotions otherwise they are pretty fair when it comes to bonuses or increases.
Hate everyday
Transportation Security Officer (TSO) (Former Employee) –  SeaTac, WASeptember 17, 2018
No matter what you do in your day you will be hated by the public. Not everyone but you will get yelled at most days. Fits will be thrown for you just doing what your job requires.
Pros
vacation times
Cons
bad enviorment
Great job
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Miami-Dade County, FLSeptember 15, 2018
This is an easy job. The pay was enough to survive. I met a lot co-workers who i can call a friend to this day after 10 years.just be prepared to feel rushed at certain times of the day when you have a bunch of people trying to catch a flight and you have to keep them secure at the time.be prepared to argue with passenger over any liquids over 3.14 oz.
Pros
good benefits, competitive salary
Cons
Leadership can make or break you experience.
Excellent work atmosphere
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 15, 2018
Management was an excellent example of how to treat your employees. If it hadn't been for the pay difference, I would have never left.
It was a stress free environment that was conducive for a good work place. The people there were courteous and friendly. The area where the building was located was in a very comfortable spot.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to see airplanes take off and land.
Pros
Stressfree
Cons
Low pay
Don't do it
TSO (Former Employee) –  Sky Harbor, PhoenixSeptember 14, 2018
I started in July 2018. Did a week of classroom orientation/training and then two weeks training in Georgia. The training in Ga. was ok. Then started working at Sky Harbor, Phoenix. You have to get "certified" all over again. You get a trainer assigned to you; no uniform - only black pants and white shirts. After you certify, you get a uniform. In the meantime, you are looked down on by other employees. My training buddy was told by a Lead, that she wouldn't even talk to her until she got a uniform. Air of superiority by other employees. My trainer was off one day and management didn't even pay attention to me. I could have left and no one would have known or cared. Borderline hostile union environment.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Too many to mention

Want to know more about Transportation Security Administration?

Ask a question
Fast pace
Transportation Security Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 14, 2018
My job as an administrative assistant was very fast paced and busy. I learned very good customer service skills, multitasking and computer skills. My supervisors were very helpful. I dealt with many different officers on a daily basis. the hardest part of the day would be closing out the office. the most enjoyable part of my job was helping my partners and completing the tasks.
Quick-paced, non stop, important for passenger safety.
Security Officer, TSA (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 13, 2018
TSA in transition after first year to federal government. During first year job security was guaranteed, but positions were being filled during that year by new personnel leaving few positions for current employees. Airport nice place to work meeting many people. Schedule was rough because of sleep depravation; early bed, early rise five days week. Hardly time to spend with family activities.
Pros
Meet many people
Cons
Very early hours; difficulty going to bed early for early rise.
Life changing
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 12, 2018
Job is very stressful because management is not on your side they look at you as a body they do not care about what goes on out side of work. However you can move up quick and your fellow officers look out for each other for the most part.
Pros
fellow officers are friendly able to move up quick
Cons
management
You are expendable
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 12, 2018
The TSA has no consideration for its employees. The turnover rate is terrible, the management is cruel and antagonistic. The culture is back-stabbing, indolent, and malignant. There is no good to be found here.
Pros
Pto, Health Care
Cons
Vitriol, cruelty, awful enviroment
How much stress can you take?
Lead Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  SeaTac, WASeptember 12, 2018
Working at this job was the most stressful job I have ever experienced. You are under constant pressure from the passengers and your management and sometimes direct coworkers at all times to perform your job, which is never good enough to satisfy.

The pay for the amount of stress and work is ridiculous... I could make more serving food at a restaurant easily.

The workplace is extremely toxic, I would not recommend working here to anyone.
Pros
good insurance benefits
Cons
toxic workplace, low pay, crazy inflexible work schedules
Wonderful Atmosphere with competive pay
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Midland, TX 79706September 10, 2018
A typical day of work included clerical duties such as organizing/maintaining files systems, creating/maintaining worksheets, overseeing training schedule accountability, data entry, volunteered for employee committees, maintained accurate employee data, assisted with new hire paperwork orientation, assisted with administrative management, and coordinating interviews. I learned a lot about government function and administrative duties. The management team at TSA was amazing and always available for guidance and encouragement. The culture of the workplace was quick-paced and well organized with a lot of diversity and overall happy employees. The hardest part of the job was keeping people accountable for completing OJT before deadlines. The most enjoyable part of the job was the amazing people, staff and management team that were always working together as a professional family.
Pros
competive pay, great teamwork and fantastic management
Cons
Temporary position
Amazing job.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Latrobe, PASeptember 10, 2018
Good job it’s better than most. Good opportunity to advance with your career. Some days a worst than others being that you deal with the public. Overall I would highly recommend this job to anyone that wants a stability in a career.
Very inconsistant
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Mpls-St. PaulSeptember 9, 2018
The issue I had with TSA is as follows:

1. Wanting in Quality of Life
2. Management was very inconsistent.
3. Favoritism by TSMs', Supervisors and Leads ran rampant.
It's a Job
Lead Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 9, 2018
a typical day is stressful., you must be a people person to make it .through the day. .Forget about the weekend and holiday you will never have then, the hour are crazy, Advancement are long to come and management doesn't care about you,.
Pros
Cons
stressful
It STRICTLY should ONLY be used as a stepping stone!
Screener (Current Employee) –  MarylandSeptember 9, 2018
Management is poor and lacking in morale. Every morning in briefing there is never anything positive. Most of the supervisors and leads are prejudice as anything and they all play favorites. The leave system is a pain in the butt to deal with and your leave will more than likely get denied so plan any major events on your days off and get ready to miss alot of important events in your life or kids life. Now every airport is different, so if you still wanna go through with this just make sure you stay is nice and short, get out before its too late!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, low morale, discrimination

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Transportation Security Administration. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

2.0Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss