Transportation Security Administration Employee Reviews

Found 1,528 reviews matching the search See all 1,648 reviews
productive workplace
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 16, 2018
Good job, train you in everything you need to know plus more and it pays fairly well, very competitive environment as well. I would recommend it for people looking to get on their feet and as well as getting a foothold into the government.
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
xray, pat dawns
Equal Oppertunity thing special
Supervisory Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 16, 2018
Deal with employees making fun of passengers most days.

Having to babysit employees and tell them to make it on time.

Spent most days writing up employees for failing to do their jobs.

TSA tries to pay everyone the same so there are not incentives to being motivated to perform better than others.

Made it hard on Supervisors.
Pros
Oppertunity for advancement
Cons
Employees lazy
excellant
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  Union, NJNovember 14, 2018
I assist all employees with their HR matters. i.e. health and life benefits, retirements, tsp, hiring orientation and advise supervisors of discipline options.
Good job
Transportation Security Officer (Federal job) (Current Employee) –  Rosemont, ILNovember 13, 2018
Tsa
TSA Officer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 13, 2018
Stressful everyday, a lot of work on your feet. Very little to no vacation time. Management is only out for themselves.Schedules are horrible and they are always testing to you fail not improve
Stressful place to work.
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 13, 2018
The management teams at TSA wants to micromanage everything. Instead of building their employees, TSA brings down the moral and has been known to break some employees.
Pros
Decent benefits, decent pay.
Cons
management sucks.
tasking and extremely demanding!!
ACTING LEAD TRANSPORTATION SECURITY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Newark Liberty International Airport, NJNovember 13, 2018
My job entails providing a well detailed by the book security observation and profiling of airline passengers with no room for error of second-guessing. Worked under extreme pressure and environment while providing customer care service that is second to none. Interacted with vendors and Port Authority personnel and made sure that shift operations were met and in a timely manner. I learned to get the job done the first time around and to work well within a group of a multicultural and dynamic workforce.
Pros
A staedy job, with decent benefits
Cons
Extremely stressfull
Contractor
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calverton, MDNovember 12, 2018
I was a contractor. I cannot write about Transportation Security Administration as someone actually employee of the Transportation Security Administration
High paced environment
TSA Officer (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXNovember 11, 2018
Screened passengers and carry-on luggage before allowing them to board aircraft. Walked throughout airport from gate to gate. Enjoyed the work environment and coworkers and supervisors were very flexible.
Pros
coworkers were great
Cons
late hours
Very Stressful and high tension environment
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VANovember 11, 2018
I worked for TSA for a total of 3 years I relocated 3 times for career advancement. I found myself working to live and living to work. As a college student I was use to working with professional people especially having military and college training and tolerance. However, I applied 28 times for a promotion and received and interviewed it and was about to relocate and then was accused of doing drugs and then terminated without cause. I don't recommend any african american individual to work in this agency because, they're very prejudice towards those who are educated and eager to learn because they're fearful you'll take they're job. No a good agency at all. For this to be a federal agency and not to be able to offer a good retirement plan just a simple TSP it isn't enough. The medical benefits are alright it was enough to get braces but I wouldn't entrust any life decision making on it. They don't offer tuition reimbursement despite what they offer in this online certificate class (its not a degree). Overall I appreciate the endless hours of training however the management don't know policy or procedure. I wouldn't recommend anyone working here long term get your experience and then move on to a more reliable agency. I still can't believe to this day that these are the folks protecting our Aviation system. Its not good.
Benefits
Cons
Management and and advancement
Needs Improvement
Transportation security officer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 10, 2018
I guess because this agency is new but they have alot of internal work to do. Management from the top on down needs to be replaced. If you're not sleeping with someone or someone's favorite, there is no promotion for you. The actual hardworkers do not get recognized and that's ashame. I've seen people get fired for minor things while you have someone in higher up doing worse and has job security.
I would only recommend this job because of benefits, pay and it's stepping stone to other government agencies but I would not make a career out of it.
Pros
Great benefits, co-workers, work/life balance
Cons
Poor Management, micromanage
stressful
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 10, 2018
Shifts are usually 330AM-12PM or 11AM-7PM. Shifts, days off and vacation availability is based on seniority.

30 minute rotations between 7 positions. Expect to be standing for most of the day.

You are allowed 2 breaks at 15 minutes each and a 30 minute lunch.

The rush periods last for a couple of hours, then there are slower times throughout the day. During the rush times, personnel at stretched thin.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Pat downs, x-ray
Great insurance but thats about it.
TSO (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, coNovember 8, 2018
Very fast pace. Stressful work overload. Don't know how to run an agency. I understand why TSA is necessary, but needs to worry more about the threat levels in our security then what your officers can and can not wear, like watches and tattoos
Pros
insurance
Cons
Very stressful work environment
good step to other federal jobs
Transportation Security Administration (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 8, 2018
good step to get your foot in the door to other federal jobs. Good benefits for minimum education requirements. Decent pay for no experience required.
As a last resort only
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 8, 2018
TSA is the worst place to work in the Federal Government. Not because of the job, but because it is a poorly ran organization that doesn't know what it is doing. You will have to work part time for almost 6 months before being offered full time status, the pay is barely enough to survive on considering the job stress they put on you. They set high standards for security, but yell at you for not moving fast enough while following the standards. The promotion system they have set up makes it not worth getting promoted if you have worked the safe pay level for more than 2 years. In the end, only take this job if there is absolutely nothing else out there
Pros
federal health care
Cons
poor hours, poor advancement system, poor leadership
Delegation and compensation are closely related - the better you perform, the more money you make.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Egg Harbor Township, NJNovember 7, 2018
I had he privilege of assisting in "standing up" the Federal air Marshal Service, after the events of 911.

Hard work, but totally rewarding. Many hours, much travel, late hours and tim away from family, but necessary for the defense of this country against foreign and domestic terrorists.

Salary was commensurate for the duties and responsibilities assigned. Co-workers were all aware of the commitment necessary and we all worked together in total harmony.

One of the best jobs I have had in my 50-year career.
Pros
Compensation, benefits, camaraderie
Absolute garbage.
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 5, 2018
Don't hold your breath..

Atrocious

Abominable

Appalling

Horrific.
Pros
Zero
Cons
Cannot name all
Case-By-Case
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 4, 2018
A Place To Learn & Grow, If Desired-

Constantly Faced W/ New Opportunities, Which Provide Development-

The Experience, Is What You Make It-

"In-Put / Out-Put"-
Frustrating at times
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Leonard Wood, MONovember 4, 2018
Part time employees get the worst shifts and tossed around on schedule to make sure the full time employees hours are covered. At times which is almost all the time management doesn't listen to the personnel with boots on the ground.
great place to start your career
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 3, 2018
TSA is a great stepping stone, that will give you the experience necessary to move on to another agency. It can be the first door that opens the others in your career.
Pros
stepping stone
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Transportation Security Administration. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight