TravelCenters of America Employee Reviews

food service
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 15, 2018
It's an alright place to work. The advancement is slow and the pay is poor. No overtime and if you do have overtime, the management will change your hours and you will loose the overtime hours.
Pros
nice place to work
Cons
no overtime and changing of hours
Good place to start
General Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Sayre, OKOctober 15, 2018
If you are looking to get into the truck service business this is a good place to start. You will learn about parts and their functions. The customers are awesome for the most part, management is understanding, and the staff is helpful.
Pros
Some good people
Cons
Typical workplace issues
Horrible
Merchandiser inventory specialist (Former Employee) –  Gary, INOctober 11, 2018
The workers there are nice but the management sucks.I went there for fuel and the manager was rude when I told her I couldn’t fuel.i would never go back
Pros
Cons
The mangers are lazy
Upper management....Hello?
Store/Fuel GM (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 11, 2018
Work live balance? Bonus? Support from your direct supervisor? These are questions that were never answered. We never got support from management to hire or fire who you needed. You have to keep people around in insure that you had some support. Bonus, Ha! that is a laugher. Support from anyone well that didn't really happen either. All in all the check did not bounce when it was deposited
Pros
They paid the electric bills so you have light, and water.
Cons
Well...I dont have all day.
Was a good company to work for and at times. I think about going back.
Bookkeeping Manager (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, ILOctober 11, 2018
This was a great company to work for. We had strong leadership that treated employees fairly and with respect. Great advancement opportunities and I did get the opportunity to travel quite a bit. I loved my position of Site Accounting Representative Lead. Although my direct supervisor was on site, I pretty much worked unsupervised due to my vast experience with the company and strong work ethic. For the first time ever in my career I had nights, weekends, and holidays off and had a flexible schedule.

I left the company because my position of Site Accounting Representative Lead was eliminated company wide. I was offered a low level management position in the store, but I did not want to go back to working nights, weekends, and holidays. I also didn't want to go back to retail.
Pros
liked the people I worked with, good hours, and good benefits.
Cons
The ever changing programs, systems, and the fact they eliminated my position to employ someone at Corporate level to do it.
Great Place To Work
Shift Leader/Cashier/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Tallulah, LAOctober 10, 2018
I Loved working at Travel Centers of America. It was an Great Place for meet Customers on the Road And Waiting on Truck Drivers and making them feel at home.
Pros
Great Place To Work and move up to an different position
very friendly site manager,very good coworkers
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaOctober 9, 2018
The hardest part of this job customers cultural differences!!!!!
upper management very unfriendly
very good workplace culture
what I learned the most was biting my lip?
Pros
easy job, interaction with costumers/employees
Cons
no breaks, no insurance, to much equipment not working
temp position
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Westlake, OHOctober 7, 2018
Very heavy workload. They hired approx. 30 temp positions to help. Company acquired another location and business was very fast pace and busy. Manager was excellent dealing with training us.
Unpredictable
Fuel Desk Cashier (Former Employee) –  Seymour, INOctober 2, 2018
Male dominated company. Management may or may not like you. And if they don't then your job may be in danger. Unfair and inconsistent disciplinary actions. If your liked you will be given more chances and if your not then it's out the door. Doesn't matter how much you work hard or do your best if your manager does not favor you then he will just build a file on you till he has a reason to let you go. The managers at TA click up with the hourly employees and those employees get more perks.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Ever changing management
Not enough money to work here
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ashland, VAOctober 1, 2018
Ive been here at this place for 7 years and I'm only making 11.83 an hr and I'm supposed to be in the lead position I'm basically doing the job but not getting the pay up grade !
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Not enough pay
Employees and customers
Not Applicable (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 29, 2018
The company was great for years but has really regressed on the concern of not only employees but also customer satisfaction. It has only been sense November of last year that it has changed.
Pros
Plenty of hours
Cons
High stress work environment
very fun place working with co-workers. make the day alot easier
Fuel Processor - Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  Westlake, OHSeptember 28, 2018
Enjoyed working for TA. Energetic environment. got along with all co-workers. Having a buddy system really helped with other job duties. If I had the opportunity again, I would be happy to work for Travel Centers.
Truckstop business
Site accountant (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHSeptember 26, 2018
I worked on my own everyday in a private office for the site. I started out as a cashier in the restaurant for the first 6months filling in for the bookkeeper. Then had the opportunity to go into the office as the bookkeeper moved up. There was a change in ownership, which gave me the chance to move to a central office doing books for the entire site. I learned a lot more from this move, taking on more tasks.
The hardest part of the job was having to leave after 30 years of service. Most enjoyable would be working with numbers, employees,
helping employees.
Pros
discounted meals/beverages, 401k, healthcare, vacations, holidays
Cons
no cons for my position
under appreciated and overworked
Team Member/Cook (Former Employee) –  Troutdale, ORSeptember 26, 2018
You'll get plenty of hours at Popeyes most likely, because the turnover rate and general treatment of workers there is mediocre. Watch out for the weekend and Mondays for high customer volume, in the summer too.
*Troutdale location
Pros
plenty of hours, though you good luck getting the hours you want
Cons
short-staffed, certain coworkers were incompetent or unhelpful. stressful work environment. shorter break times
people were enjoyable to work with
Porter (Former Employee) –  Lake Station, INSeptember 20, 2018
I cleaned all the showers and the store making everything look presentable. the management was terrible and found any way possible to find someone to be able to yell at. I was once even yelled at and threatened with losing my job because I took a nap on my break.
Pros
people were nice and the discounts
Cons
could not expand work knowledge
24/7 operation
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Southington, CTSeptember 19, 2018
was on call day and night with a very week and changing work force. Difficult to get good employees and pay rates offered. Could not be sure of a life outside work as always had to be available.
Pros
very little to speak of
Cons
you have no life
Great people to work with
Poter (Current Employee) –  Hudson, WISeptember 19, 2018
They try really to make sure that you are trained into your job. They are patient and very helpful in making sure you are trained. The management is easy going and easy to get along with.
Pros
The employees
Cons
The distance from home
okay job
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Seymour, INSeptember 17, 2018
They are Under paying, and have lots of drama. good people overall. They have a ton of call ins because nobody ever wanted to work especially on third shift
Crew is upbeat and wants to get work done
Porter (Current Employee) –  Holbrook, AZSeptember 15, 2018
Ta is not a bad place to work. Could work on communication and working together but all together not too bad. The boss is understanding and reasonable to things going around the store and your personal life. But not alhard to get things done customers are usually pretty nice considering there condituons
Pros
Crew is easy to get along with, fun place to work, work load not to bad but fast paced.
Cons
Poor Communication, could use a larger crew
Great place to advance your career.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Antioch, TNSeptember 14, 2018
The administration within this company is truly there for their employees. They are a beacon of light.
Certain aspects of the job are demanding. Many of the aspects of the job are rewarding. The opportunity for advancement and developing your potential are second-to-none.
The most difficult part of the job is also the most enjoyable: PEOPLE!!!
Pros
Working Hard
Cons
Working Hard

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TravelCenters of America. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.2

1.9Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight