TravelCenters of America Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 1,039 reviews matching the search See all 1,040 reviews
Fun work place and flexible hours
Food manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 18, 2018
TA is a great company to work for. They have given a annual raise every 6 months. Management has changed and the company seems to be changing for the worse. I am seeking a different environment and to gain experience in a job that will provide benifits.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Work hard for nothing extra or even a compliment from management
Unless u really need a job
Diesel Mechanic Technician (Current Employee) –  Prescott, ARJune 18, 2018
Stressful BS. Angry customers for no reason, everything is rushed but slow due to ESHOP and obtaining authorization on repairs, commission based entirety. Feast or famine. Hot or cold.
Pros
Cons
Expensive insurance
Some days it can be fun and some days its too busy
Porter/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 17, 2018
It can be a fun place to work if the co workers are nice,sometimes you get really rude customers,for me the pay wasn't enough but we were allowed to get tips and sometimes the truck drivers did leave tips
Pros
You get a discount on everything
Cons
You have to deal with a lot of rude and tired truck drivers
Great place to work and a great work environment.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Matthews, MOJune 15, 2018
Excellent place to work and learn how to work in a safe and timely manner. Excellent people to work with and grow with as an employee. Great management.
Pros
Free lunches, employee discounts, and great hours.
Cons
Not enough hours.
Terrible
Cook/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Jessup, MDJune 15, 2018
This company is awful to work for...no promotion no raise...management is terrible...great co-workers but overall terrible company to work for.dont treat employees good.dont give employees no training.management dont handle situationa properly...a lot of misleading information....just horrible
Pros
No free lunch only a $3 unlimited drink program
Cons
Bad bad
Customer service oriented
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Westlake, OHJune 11, 2018
customer service oriented, productive environment, great location, on the job training, benefits, busy facility, clean facility, relocation options in place.
Good
Porter/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Jackson, GAJune 9, 2018
The job is okay if your just starting on your own other then that dont waste your time. I dont think they pay enough for working 3rd shift. I work 70-80 hours every 2 weeks and only make 600
Good first time job
Assist in stocking shelves (Former Employee) –  Dansville, NYJune 8, 2018
The management was probably the worst part of the job. I originally got the job out of high school to offset college expenses. The management literally stated that they would only hire part time and cut everyone's hours and told the employees that if they want to survive they need to find another part time job and the only jobs around were only hiring part time.
Stressful and understaffed
Diesel Technician (Current Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAJune 7, 2018
Not a horrible place to work, decent pay if you work for it. Hours can be extreme and working conditions aren't the best but overall a good platform job to get yourself on your feet.
Pros
Discounts, occasional cookout/employee party
Cons
Long and stressful days as well as 50-60 hour weeks of manual labor
Fum place to meet new people.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Jessup, MDJune 5, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people every day.
The hardest part was trying to keep the turnover rate down.
Most of my day is spent with paperwork, billing, etc.
Pros
good healthcare, great atmosphere.
Cons
very long hours.
Not impressed!
ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIMay 31, 2018
I worked at Travel Centers of America in the restaurant as AGM for several years. Working all holidays are mandatory. Being a single mom working 12+ hours a day all hours of the night including holidays wasn't worth it for me. POOR MANAGEMENT!!!
Pros
Benefit Packages
Cons
Working ALL holidays
Poor management
Shop Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Prescott, ARMay 30, 2018
The manager I worked under would yell at you and would not listen when you needed to talked to him about doctor visits. He would threaten to fire you if you make one little mistake.
Avoid at all costs
Store Leader (Current Employee) –  TennesseeMay 30, 2018
Constantly hit on by nasty truck drivers, management is ridiculous, sits in the office all shift and rarely does anything. So much to do as a cashier that the pay is just not worth the hassle. And Popeyes food is gross. Overpriced but do get a discount on merchandise like 20% and a fuel discount if you pay with cash.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Overworked
A very fun and competitive work area
Facility Maintenance Technician Manager (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXMay 29, 2018
Love the staff and management are super kool place is awesome it’s a place where I get to know other people as they shop around and u have to make them feel comfortable and make them feel like if there at home
Multi Unit Manager
Multi Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GAMay 29, 2018
During my time with TCA, I cross trained employees and helped reduce labor and food cost. The best thing about TCA was the bond I made with the surrounding community members.
Stessful work
Fuel lead (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 28, 2018
Only a few employees did their job others would just do what they wanted Agm were the worst in the world. You not do anything about lateness of poor work ethics
Lots of drama.
Truck Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, ALMay 26, 2018
Not a guaranteed 40 hrs. Lots of drama, never have set off days unless you’re higher up in a position. The customers can be pretty rude. Favoritism plays a big part here.
Great opportunities but lack of employee gratitude
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Arvin, CAMay 24, 2018
TA is a great place to work for in regards to keeping a job (full time) but giving a thank you to the employees is rarely seen. Other companies reward employees with small tokens, But TA lacks all that, nothing has been given to me as a gratitude in the past five years. As well employees are pressured to work multiple departments or positions with only one or two coworkers.
Pros
having a job
Cons
over worked, under staffed, no tokens given to employees, salary much less that average.
Not so great
Cashier/Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAMay 22, 2018
I can't speak for all locations but the one I worked at was not so great.
The favorite game was played all the time. You could tell when management did not like a certain employee.
They do promote within but I feel like you have to be a kiss up to get the promotion.
The turnover rate was horrible because people hated getting treated so bad. Eventually, the majority of good employees left.
Management would not protect employees when they felt unsafe or threatened. They would suggest the employee not talk to that particular customer, even though they should have been banned.
Great atmosphere
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Alexander, NDMay 22, 2018
I moved to North Dakota cause my husband job moved him up there. I applied for a job at TA and i never realized how much I would love my job there. I hated that I had to leave. It was a very fast paced job which is perfect for me. Dealing with customers was great cause you met people from so many states and you learned from them. The management was really great and understanding and always willing to help out if you needed help or dealing with personal issues with all their employees.
Pros
Just a great places to work
Cons
I hated to leave

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TravelCenters of America. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight