Travelers Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 1,248 reviews matching the search See all 1,296 reviews
Long Work Days and Poor Management
Outside Claim Representative (Current Employee) –  Diamond Bar, CAJuly 15, 2018
Company requires you to work too many hours and in my case clean up bad claims of adjuster's who are still with the company. Not able to take proper breaks and lunch breaks during work day.
Benefits
Cons
Work Hours And Work Load
ability to work independentley
Commercial Lines Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 15, 2018
There was a lot of independence allowed in taking care of the individual work flow. All employees and management worked well as a team. Their was overtime when needed and other benefits such as buying vacation time and a pension.
3 months of training
Insurance Service Representative Trainee (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NY 13202July 14, 2018
I was hired to be part of an accelerated 3 month training program to learn all of their customer service guidelines for all the states they offer insurance in.
Their previous training outline was 6 months and the 3 months was pretty intense.
I feel I would have flourished under the 6 month training, but time is money, and for lack of a better term, they're a financial institution and have no time for mistakes. The corporate world at it's finest, in a nut shell...
Pros
Pension
Cons
You're not even a human, it's extreme corporate culture.
Great Company
Auto Claims Professional (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 11, 2018
Travelers is a great company to work for. They expect you to do your job and treat you well for doing so. Honest company with solid standards. Take the chance if you get the opportunity to work at Travelers.
Travelers Relocated.
Commercial Lines Rater (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 11, 2018
I started my insurance career at The Travelers. After 5 and a half years of service, Travelers layed everyone off in Columbus, Ohio. They re-located in another state.
Pros
Gained quite a bit of experience.
Cons
They relocated.
Death by Desk Job
Insurance Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 10, 2018
I'm sure Travelers is a great company to work for as long as you don't work at one or their four call centers. If you enjoy being chained (metaphysically) to a desk, this is the place for you. If you enjoy answering the same call over and over and over again, this is the place for you. If you can't wait for your next micromanaged coaching - one on one meeting with your direct supervisor - then this, the Travelers call center, is for you. If not, steer clear. This is a jobs for one, maybe two, personality types. The company in and of itself is great. They care for their employees, have a generous PTO program (that starts right after training), and, depending on the department, have varying bonus structures. Alas, unless you're just dying to sit at a desk answering the same, mind numbing questions, day in and day out, find something else to make 32k a year. You've got plenty of better options.
Pros
Generous PTO; Courteous Job Culture; Work From Home Option (If You're Lucky)
Cons
Extreme Micromanagement, Few Advancement Opportunities, Mundane Job, STRICT Schedule Adherence, Inadequate Communication
Productive and interesting place to work.
Mortgage Processor for Loans by Mail (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COJuly 10, 2018
My time with Traveller's was a fantastic opportunity to learn more about the mortgage processing end of the financial and real estate process. I learned a lot and I enjoyed the interaction with the public and my coworkers.
Pros
Secure work environment with many incentive programs.
Cons
Security card and timed bathroom breaks.
Great Place, low pay
Direct Bill Account Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJuly 9, 2018
Lower pay, but the people are amazing. They compensate the pay gap with great benefits and paid time off/sick leave etc. managers actually care and want you to do well.
They have tv's
Sales Counselor (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXJuly 9, 2018
Terrible place to work. They micro-manage, hold you to ridiculous standards, play favorites. You are expected to sit in your cubicle and answer call after call. Terrible work/life balance.
Very Fast Paced
Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJuly 6, 2018
Very busy environment
All new management within the Auto Liability side from another company that did not embrace Traveler's culture which made for a difficult working environment.
Loved it here!
Marketing Annuities Manager-Citibank distribution (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJuly 2, 2018
This is was one of my earliest real careers that I had and we had the best division, peers and fun. We supported each other and helped work on projects with the end result in mind. Our sales sky rocketed because of the awesome management team that we had leading the charge. We were extremely empowered and trusted to get our jobs done and work long hours because of it.
I would still be there today if 9-11 didn't displace us and force us to look elsewhere after layoffs.
Pros
management, training, empowerment, benefits, compensation
Cons
parking
Great company. No negative comments.
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJune 28, 2018
Be honest about your feelings and findings. Be prepared to support your opinion.

There is a lot of self manager so good time management skills important.

Ability to talk and discuss observations in a positive way is likewise important.

IH, Construction, Law are all added skill sets in addition with experience. Some travel expected.
Pros
Make your own schedule to meet job requirements, Meeting with internal business groups, Coordinating with external business partners to achieve best results
Cons
Driving in major urban areas taxes your work due to congestion
Terrible Culture
Sr. Director (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 27, 2018
Travelers has a terrible culture. It is male dominated and even the women in leadership positions favor men. It was the longest 5 years of my life. So happy I left.
Productive environment to succeed in
Project Director (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 25, 2018
My Project Management experience at the Travelers was very positive. I had the opportunity to be exposed to many new Project management principles and methodologies.
My typical day involved meeting with IT Teams and the Business sponsor to review project planning activities, report status, and share issues/risks. that cild impact project timelines. In addition to communicate plans to mitigate risk and keep the project on schedule and under budget. The Management Team was very competent possessing a good understanding of the business focus and goals. The workplace culture was good.
The hardest part about my job was securing resources when needed to delivery critical tasks according to the project schedule. I enjoyed the collaboration across the business and IT community.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Leadership changes occurred to frequently.
Very strict with using after call work
Insurance Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXJune 21, 2018
They stressed you about using after call work. Practically wanted you to do all the work on a call when sometimes it was needed to use after call time.
Pros
Health care
Wonderful Company
Global Underwriting Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 20, 2018
A wonderful company with very talented people. CEO is a great leader and it has been a great experience starting my career here. I would recommend this company to anyone
Metrics Driven
INSURANCE SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 19, 2018
If you like to talk about stats and handle time and are an efficient person, you can make a decent salary here. Expect to work for at least 3 years for advancement. Every meeting you have with your manager will be concentrated on your performance metrics, and not how to get you to your next position. Your ambitions will be noted but lost in a sea of bureaucracy. You’ll be appreciated for your job as management knows your position is difficult and will be paid appropriately, but due to business need you’ll never be given the opportunity to grow unless you can perform 110% all the time and can network well.
Pros
Great training program
Cons
Tied to phones all day every day
Great company overall
Workers Compensation Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 19, 2018
Working for an insurance company, the environment does get a little stagnant. The organization is also huge and there's a lot opportunities to network and meet people from all areas of the organization.
Disappointing
Claims (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 18, 2018
The work place culture has become overwhelmingly negative. The management expects much more than can be completed in a 50 hour work week and focuses only on areas of improvement needed.
The people we work with however are diligent, hardworking and supportive of one another.
Pros
Fairly flexible with work hours
Cons
Lack of any support or appreciation by management
Advance only so far
Manager-Finance (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 18, 2018
Difficult to get past the manager level in accounting in St Paul. Much is in Hartford, CT. Would have stayed with company had there been more career advancement opportunities. When I worked there, they had on-site day care which simply cannot be valued highly enough. I probably stayed at Travelers longer because of it.