Travelers Employee Reviews

Found 1,442 reviews matching the search See all 1,502 reviews
Great Place to Work
Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYJanuary 10, 2019
I love Travelers! Incredible benefits and employees who are always willing to help. Love my experience as a Claim Handler. Gave them 4/5 stars for Advancement, really just because I applied for an Underwriting position and they hired someone else - maybe not the most fair 4/5, as they certainly look to move people up within the company. No complaints whatsoever.
Pros
Work Environment, Salary/Benefits, Work/Life Balance
Cons
Be Ready To Work! Lots to do There, Hard Workers Will Stand Out
I enjoyed my time with the company but my job was sent to offshore.
Underwriter I (Former Employee) –  Glens Falls, NYJanuary 8, 2019
I was a licensed underwriter with the company in my last position. I started as a data input of new policies and worked my was into the mailroom, did customer service phones, and trained new employees. The company was very into constantly training and upgrading the systems we worked with. The hours were very flexable which worked out great when my children were young. If my job was not outsourced to India in an effort for the company to save money, I would probably still be working for them.
Pros
Hours, flexable schedules, discounts
Great place to work.
MANAGING DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 18, 2019
A typical day involved account reviews, underwriting large property accounts, placing facultative reinsurance, and submissions to Home Office on CAT accounts. All of these items were the part of the job I enjoyed. The hardest part of my job was employee performance reviews. As the Managing Director of the Southeast Region, I set the workplace culture for my people in Atlanta. This was an open, honest environment. That was necessary when you consider we had a $60MM premium volume and millions of dollars at risk in high CAT areas.
Pros
Company trust in my judgement allowing autonomy.
Supportive environment to learn and grow as an employee
Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 11, 2018
Travelers was and is still my favorite employment. The training time was well managed, and I felt extremely knowledgeable when I hit the floor. Any type of further education or training I was want to receive, I was offered without delay. The other employees were encouraging and supportive. I made friends that I still regularly speak to. The amount of PTO offered was astounding, and allowed/encouraged a generous work-life balance.
Finally updating with the millennials
Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 6, 2018
Hard work and sometimes long hours. Many updates to the company over the past year have been both challenging and exciting. New flexible hours and dress code have been nice but management has not been realistic about new workflows and procedures being put into place. The management could use some work. Opinions and request ms by employees are not heard and unrealistic expectations have been put into place for employees to try and reach.
Pros
Casual dress code, new ergonomic workstations, flex time
Cons
Management is not good
Very unorganized company and poor management
Licensed P&C sales agent (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 7, 2018
You have to job bid for your hours every six months. Managers are never around and always in meetings. The computers are always shutting down , freezing, and super slow. Not a fun atmosphere. For sales incentives they give out junk food. The building is kept unclean and they only have a couple of bathrooms for several hundred people.
Benefits
Cons
Not a friendly place, dirty, underpaid, worst computer systems
Account Manager - Commercial Property
Account Manager - National Property First Party (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 4, 2018
The job involves being able to enter Data from New Submissions and Renewals, running reports, and supporting Underwriters. You will learn about property coverages. Worked with a great team in property. Hardest part is the high volume of information you will need to enter and keep track of. Managing your time and desk is crucial in this position.
Pros
Benefits, team, salary
Cons
High Volume data entry
Desk Work in Cubicles
Account Manager/Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 18, 2019
i work in a cubicle with 3 computer screens to allow more work & efficiency. I have learned all about insurance / expert in Residual market WC.
our job can be done from work at home, but our department has not allowed work from home full time as of yet. We can work from home from time to time with a manager approval. i enjoy the people i work with, some i have known for 10+ years.
Pros
flex hours
Cons
hard to move up in the department
Great job for a data analyst
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNNovember 29, 2018
Depending on what department you are in, it can be great. Unfortunately some management is unapproachable. Ask up front what expectations are, and good luck getting in writing because they change monthly, yet you are expected to adhere to them even though they are constantly inconsistent. Managements answer? Well its a gray area.. yet you are graded on your files for data. If you are wanting to be a data input analyst and not handle claims, this is the job for you.
Pros
going home
Cons
specific mangagers
A Typical day
Senior auto field appraiser (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutJanuary 10, 2019
Typical day what’s the report to manager receive assignments make appointments inspect vehicles complete appraisals at vehicle submit appraisals work with body shop doing repairs issuing payment following up with customer handling problems associated with repairs to car communicating with the owner manager and body shop
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
Dispatch of assignments chaotic
stressful
AUTO-APPRAISER (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 12, 2018
97% metrics is hard to get on every estimate. Travelers really harp on accuracy. so much so that you might only get one or two estimates done per day which leaves you with a huge back log of estimates to try to complete. They are constantly re-inspecting the appraisers and having national review every month its mind blowingly inefficient. The dispatching system is not a system at all. You will have cars spread out all across the city. They do pay pretty good and they expect a lot from you for that reason.
Underwriting Assistant
Underwriting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WANovember 28, 2018
The employees and management follow the company standards to a T, however the people are fake. We were expected to continually "close" tasks at a rapid rate which was always worrisome because I never knew if I would meet my goals and caused stress at work and literally gave me nightmares while at home. This job is all consuming and robs one of their ability to disconnect when you leave.
Not an ideal workplace
Property Field Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VAJanuary 20, 2019
Travelers is a company that is more concerned about 'numbers', rather than having a proper work-life balance for their employees. The company has a high turnover of adjusters, which is reflective of their inability to create an atmosphere that is conducive for productivity.
Pros
Higher starting salary than other like companies
Cons
Working hours and production required
Many opportunities
Insurance professional (Current Employee) –  Hartford areaNovember 6, 2018
Overall, this is a good company. There are many opportunities to advance and the company stresses career development. In my years here, I have never had a manager impede my advancement, even if it meant difficulty for that manager. That being said, you have to take charge of your advancement. If you wait for an opportunity to come to you, you will probably be at the same job for a long time.

The company holds employees to a high standard of performance. People are expected to work hard and do their job well. Managers will work as hard, if not harder, to help their employees reach their full potential.

This is also a diverse work environment, which actively strives to promote diversity and inclusion at all levels of work.
Work Summary
CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT - WELCOME TEAM (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WANovember 2, 2018
The team that I was a part of worked well together. Conducting phone interviews was a satisfactory job and I enjoyed my time there. The major downfall of this company is the management. The management that was in place during my time was toxic to the environment and the people that he supervised. Any attempts to bring the behavior to higher management were either ignored or downplayed and it left the team feeling dissatisfied with their positions and with the company as a whole. Within a year of that team's hire, roughly 75% of them had transferred to other areas or left the company altogether.
travelers
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILNovember 11, 2018
• Review open payables weekly and stay current with all open tax issues
• Executed daily filing confirmations in a timely manner
• Correctly reconciled tax and fee payable reports
• Was instrumental in reviewing open payable reports weekly and stay current with all open tax issues
• Completed necessary paperwork required by state specific Department of Insurance to process tax and fee payments monthly
Benefits and Salary
Claim Professional (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 21, 2018
The benefits are good. 6 weeks PTO, but they can dictate how its taken.

Salary, I have found, is unmatched.

Local management is at odds with each other and micromanagement is the WORST.

I like that we can work remotely, but we are so micromanaged it isn't even worth it.

Nothing is really company wide, it's company wide but...we are going to do it a different way and then penalize your ability to get raises because you can't meet their ridiculous demands (which are different from the company).

The favortism and unprofessionalism is profound.

I would leave, but I can't find a position with equal pay.

I cry every Sunday because I have to go in to such an unpleasant hostile situation.
Pros
6 weeks PTO, high salary
Cons
Everything else
Micro-Management
Undewriting (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILDecember 10, 2018
Managers do not have enough to do so they are constantly bothering employees for petty things in lieu of inspiring and developing direct reports.. The environment is chilly from certain members of management.. Two of the front line managers were really good. The rest were condescending and lacked leadership skills. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the impossible, unrealistic goals and expectations.

What did I learn? How to survive working for an egotistical, micro manager who was too engrossed in abusing her power than focusing on creating a positive work environment.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the employees. They gave warnings of what to expect from the Dragon early on, but to my surprise, it was worse than I ever could have expected.
Pros
Favorable Location
Cons
Micro managers
very good com[any to work for good insurance
Senior Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  lafayette laNovember 10, 2018
Very good insurance company. Claims adjustors work with customers who have experienced a loss and are making a claim. insurance agents commonly sell one or more types of insurance, such as property, casualty, life health and long term care.Insurance agents explains various insurance policies and help clients choose plans that suit them.
A wonderful environment
Senior Analyst in Business Operations (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 12, 2018
This is a great place to work. People are professional, and really care about your goals and development. They have lots of women in leadership roles which fosters a great environment particularly for women to feel safe, respected, and heard.
Pros
Great benefits, clubs and orgonizations, end of year celebration, relaxed dress code

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Travelers. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.1Fairygodboss Score

43%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

75%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss