Travis County
62Average

Travis County Employee Reviews

United States98 reviews
I enjoyed my time for the most part. Daily, I was able to work w/ my residents in a variety of areas while teaming w/ other therapists to come up w/ effective solutions to our resident's problems.
My time working through an internship was definitely different for me. Although it was something new for me, i developed skills to use later on in life.
No feedback and no assistance. Sink or swim job. Put me in a position and provide hardly any information how best to do job. I never talk to management and they never talk to me.
Make sure all the employees were at the work place ready to work. Good place work. Good culture. Most enjoyable part of the job is making sure everyone is safe and accounted for
Pros
good benefits. good people
Cons
when someone does not show uo for work
The management are friends and hire and promote their friends. There are a lot of familial relationships at a particular location. There is a serious lack of diversity, especially in management.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Steady work but still catching up to the times. Needs to change pay and management styles before they loose all their good talent to other local companies.
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
Pay and Advancement
As with most government employers mediocrity is found throughout the workplace. Politics trump all decision making. Those with influence advance and those who earn the ire of elected officials are trashed. The benefits are very good, especially retirement and insurance.
Having a short stay in Corrections I quickly learned this wasn't a career path for me. Working in the jail and around inmates for several months, opened my eyes to a part of society that I've never been exposed to. I sometimes called it an adult day care, grown men that have made a life for themselves by staying in the system.
Job satisfaction will vary by candidate and department. My experience has been a good one. The managers I've dealt with have always been helpful and understanding.
Pros
Government Benefits
Cons
Those related to government
Travis County is a great place to build a career. Their benefits package is beyond compare. There are many different departments to choose from, each offering a distinct environment. The only downside is the traffic involved with getting to some of the locations.
Benefits
Cons
Traffic
Having a career in service in county government working with teams of others serving our neighbors.
I learned so much about law enforcement, probation, the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, appellate procedures, and all things connected with the Texas Judicial System.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with folks who truly care about their community and helping others, whether they be victims or offenders.

The hardest thing about this job is seeing the tragic circumstances that can befall our neighbors.
Although the pay was great the management style was cut throat and watch over your shoulder management style; it was stressful and dreadful going to work each day.
I the beginning it was a big culture shock and after almost 2 years it got worse. There are a total of 5 married couples that I know of , 2 in this dept alone as well as a mother/son.
Travis County values its employees and provides a very good environment, good pay, and excellent benefits. Travis County also provides opportunities to move up and move laterally according to one's interests.
Travis County is a progressive Government entity that is well adapted to training it's employees and giving the employees peace of mind with all of the offered benefits and resources.
The day to day task that were required was very easy to do and was able to work in my own pace. The training that was done was not fully done and always had lots of questions.
Travis county itself is really good and I'm sure other departments don't suffer as much as our department in security, but no room for career advancement. Days get very repetitive and great deal of politics among the chain of command. Supervisors get bored from time to time and can make unnecessary problems, depending on your supervisor of course. Overall the county has great benefits, good for gaining PTO and sick leave and job security is very concrete.
Pros
Good benefits & don't work holidays.
Cons
Bad job advancement in thesecurity department.
Fast paced environment with multiple project deadlines, review contracts, scope of work, interaction with multiple disciplined executives, elected officials, and professionals.
Facility management would not keep up with new hires if not in time with there budget. would leave crew shorthanded. would play micky mouse games with personell. lost any and all respect for management
Pros
got paid, insurance and retirement
Cons
let you suffer
Loved the opportunities you have to grow. There is a great sense of team work and you are afforded autonomy to do your job. The training opportunities are amazing as well
Pros
Training/Learning
Cons
Communication needs improving
The manager for this department is horrible. Lack of leadership, lack of common sense, lack of intelligence, micro managing. Its a waste of time, you will never move up and never get a reasonable raise for all the hard work you do. The manager always found something to be wrong, and never could see anything right. Even if you did something out of your way, its not noticed by this manager. If you have an idea for a task, she would never use it, unless she thought of it. Horrible!
Pros
free clinic
Cons
no potential to move up or advance
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Travis County. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.4
InHerSight Score
2.2Personal Development
3.1Career Opportunities
2.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight