Travis County Employee Reviews

Great place to work learn and grow.
CDL Class A Driver/ Heavy Equipment Operator II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 4, 2018
Typical day is reporting to yard supervisor, receiving direct orders tasks, communicating each employee's role, lining out safety, materials, equipment, tools. working safe and hard all day, taking lunch mid day, completing work for day and reporting all details to my supervisor.i learned you can react any level at travis county when you work hard and safe and will to learn. management is great and fair and knowledgeable. the work place culture is respectful, knowledgeable in their field of expertise. No hard part of the job for me. most enjoyable part of the job was the work as an equipment operator building for the county public and seeing them satisfied.
Pros
benefits are great
Cons
n/a
Directly managed departmental operations
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 28, 2018
Directly managed departmental operations including directly supervising a staff of 8 supervisors and indirectly supervising a team of 40+ employees on the collections of vehicle and home taxes.

Work environment is very diverse

Most enjoyable part of my job is helping taxpayers

The hardest part of the job is when customers aren't financially prepared to complete their transactions.
Pros
Great Benefits, Telecommunication options
Cons
More FTE's needed for the volume of customers moving to Travis County
worked as a contractor
SQLServer DBA (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 23, 2018
The normal day to day activity on this project is to learn everyday something new. I have learned alot how the system works. the management was very great. people are very helpful.
Stress
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 13, 2018
Stressful work very under pressure I lurened that no matter how much work you do it was never enough .management wood never help you with your problems at wok. Hardest part of work was having to put up with your crew leader .most enjoyable part of work was helping others at work.
diverse group to work with
Civil Clerk (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 4, 2018
the group i worked with were such a fun group. Daily duties changed almost all the time, which can be good and bad. Depending on the type of job you are looking for.

I would definitely work for Travis County again. They have great pay and awesome benefits. Not to mention great activities for employees as well.
Pros
office luncheons, smiling faces on a daily
Cons
Micromanagement is never fun anywhere.
Excellent job security but little room for advancement
Safety Committee Member (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 5, 2018
Excellent place to work, if you are looking for job security, but not necessarily if you are looking to move up. The culture caters to favoritism and those chosen to advance are not always the most qualified for the position.
Pros
job security
Cons
advancement
Great benefits and flexibility
Tax Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 11, 2018
Travis County has great benefits. I fulfilled management tasks of overseeing a staff of 5 individuals. I complete various job duties such as verifying staff work, compiling stats and reports for employees and budget. I performed clerical, administrative and management duties everyday. I handle escalations and decision maker. I've learned to have confidence on the job and work hard. I've learned by my mistakes and not repeat them. I have become very knowledgeable and enjoy working with people and staff. The hardest part of my job is disciplining staff when needed. I am fair and equal with everyone. The most enjoyable part of my job is associating and assisting clients and staff. I enjoying making a difference in someone's life and work.
Benefits
Cons
Parking
Challenging
Correction's Officer (Former Employee) –  Del Valle, TXMay 20, 2018
Monitor, control, and interact with inmates to address their needs and requirements. Typical day was spent working first hand with the inmates in the cell blocks on your own for the most part. Hardest part of the job was having to be constantly prepared and alert. Best part was your team mate camaraderie.
Pros
Team mates
Cons
Dangerous environment
I'm always grateful to be employed, but this wasn't my happiest time.
Senior Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 3, 2018
I would not mind returning to work for Travis County in another department, and maybe even the same department if improvement has been made. I normally create my own happiness, but it was a little challenging during my time there. However, the challenge did not prevent me from doing a great job, in fact it helped me to grow.
Could be great
Court clerk I (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 23, 2018
If this job was more competitive as far as pay rate and also more understanding of time and effort then it could be a great job, but over all a good job!.
Growing Working Environment
Financial Auditor/Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 28, 2018
Working in a government setting is a bit different than the private sector. This has been the biggest challenge for me. The environment is relaxed as far as dress. The workload is very heavy but in most cases your able to work at your own pace as long as your able to meet deadlines.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
very political
safe place for residents and visiting families
Residential Treatment Officer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 25, 2018
Travis County to me was an awesome job! Great co workers and very flexible scheduling, I would advise people to give working there a try. I think anyone would be satisfied.
great place to retire
Mail Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 9, 2018
looked for to going to work each day
learned for to deliver sort and process mail
supervisors always helpful
the hardest part of the job was processing the mail
loved helping customers
Pros
hour lunches
Cons
delivering mail in all types of conditions
Very laid back atmosphere.
Road Maintenance Worker, Desktop Support, (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 1, 2018
Typical day at work consisted of daily continuous checking roadways for situations or conditions that could be hazardous to drivers. No motivation from most employees. The morale was very low.
Pros
Paid days off were good.
Cons
Lack of leadership and employee training.
Never a dull moment
Tax Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 5, 2018
Heavy customer contact. Always busy. Hardest part is dealing with angry and rude customers. Most enjoyable is actually being able to help resolve problems. And delivering fast and efficient service to the general public.
Benefits
Cons
No merit raises in over a decade.
great place to work and well compensated depending on your job assignment.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Travis County, TXDecember 9, 2017
good place to work. A lot of benefits. Great place. You need to be motivated and a self starter. Willing to commit to community oriented minded programs.
It was a great place to work, meet those in the community, and do something for our country.
Election Poll Worker (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 13, 2017
I met many people in our community who care about our country. I learned the importance of getting involved and voting to have your voice heard. I would advise anyone to become a election poll worker.
Too much Politics!
Administration / Security Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 26, 2017
Skip this job, in my opinion, your health is heavily impacted working in this environment (Law Enforcement and Corrections).
Overtime is not on a voluntary basis, but it is mandatory. Hard to schedule anything for your personal life.
Pros
The peers that you work with are in the same boat as you. Really you're only support.
Cons
Health deteriorating
Ok to work for very stressful
Student Intern-Assistant Trainer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 19, 2017
ok to work for very stressful. I was more of an intern and did not actually work. I worked supporting the learning development center and created improved training material.
fun place/easy
Election Clerk (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 18, 2017
very good company to work for I did not have any problem working
with Travis County during the election year of president Barack Obama every staff was professional.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
break moderate

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Travis County. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.6InHerSight Score

1.2Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight