Travis County Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Challenging
Correction's Officer (Former Employee) –  Del Valle, TXMay 20, 2018
Monitor, control, and interact with inmates to address their needs and requirements. Typical day was spent working first hand with the inmates in the cell blocks on your own for the most part. Hardest part of the job was having to be constantly prepared and alert. Best part was your team mate camaraderie.
Pros
Team mates
Cons
Dangerous environment
I'm always grateful to be employed, but this wasn't my happiest time.
Senior Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 3, 2018
I would not mind returning to work for Travis County in another department, and maybe even the same department if improvement has been made. I normally create my own happiness, but it was a little challenging during my time there. However, the challenge did not prevent me from doing a great job, in fact it helped me to grow.
Could be great
Court clerk I (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 23, 2018
If this job was more competitive as far as pay rate and also more understanding of time and effort then it could be a great job, but over all a good job!.
Growing Working Environment
Financial Auditor/Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 28, 2018
Working in a government setting is a bit different than the private sector. This has been the biggest challenge for me. The environment is relaxed as far as dress. The workload is very heavy but in most cases your able to work at your own pace as long as your able to meet deadlines.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
very political
safe place for residents and visiting families
Residential Treatment Officer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 25, 2018
Travis County to me was an awesome job! Great co workers and very flexible scheduling, I would advise people to give working there a try. I think anyone would be satisfied.
great place to retire
Mail Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 9, 2018
looked for to going to work each day
learned for to deliver sort and process mail
supervisors always helpful
the hardest part of the job was processing the mail
loved helping customers
Pros
hour lunches
Cons
delivering mail in all types of conditions
Very laid back atmosphere.
Road Maintenance Worker, Desktop Support, (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 1, 2018
Typical day at work consisted of daily continuous checking roadways for situations or conditions that could be hazardous to drivers. No motivation from most employees. The morale was very low.
Pros
Paid days off were good.
Cons
Lack of leadership and employee training.
Never a dull moment
Tax Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 5, 2018
Heavy customer contact. Always busy. Hardest part is dealing with angry and rude customers. Most enjoyable is actually being able to help resolve problems. And delivering fast and efficient service to the general public.
Benefits
Cons
No merit raises in over a decade.
great place to work and well compensated depending on your job assignment.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Travis County, TXDecember 9, 2017
good place to work. A lot of benefits. Great place. You need to be motivated and a self starter. Willing to commit to community oriented minded programs.
It was a great place to work, meet those in the community, and do something for our country.
Election Poll Worker (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 13, 2017
I met many people in our community who care about our country. I learned the importance of getting involved and voting to have your voice heard. I would advise anyone to become a election poll worker.
Too much Politics!
Administration / Security Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 26, 2017
Skip this job, in my opinion, your health is heavily impacted working in this environment (Law Enforcement and Corrections).
Overtime is not on a voluntary basis, but it is mandatory. Hard to schedule anything for your personal life.
Pros
The peers that you work with are in the same boat as you. Really you're only support.
Cons
Health deteriorating
Ok to work for very stressful
Student Intern-Assistant Trainer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 19, 2017
ok to work for very stressful. I was more of an intern and did not actually work. I worked supporting the learning development center and created improved training material.
fun place/easy
Election Clerk (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 18, 2017
very good company to work for I did not have any problem working
with Travis County during the election year of president Barack Obama every staff was professional.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
break moderate
Overall a good office environment.
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 12, 2017
Overall a good office environment. They were pretty flexible with work schedules, fair in job performance assessments, competitive benefits package, can't complain about co-workers, friendly, lacks career advancement opportunities, etc.
easy job but stressful
Tax Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 4, 2017
ALWAYS busy. Customers always mad
management is horrible-do as I say not as I do-management is the hardest part of the job
enjoyed getting to know regular customers
Pros
great benefits
Cons
horrible management
Friendly place to work, with tail gate parties on game day friday.
Data Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 15, 2017
Learned about the Travis County Voter registration process in Austin Texas. My first experience having a panel interview. Learned about assisted with verifying voter certificates, Pre and post election activities.
Pros
People friencly
Cons
Bad Mgmt.
Proficient
Case Manager/Assessor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 28, 2017
It was a fun place to work, especially with employees who kept the place filled with humor all the time, even when under stress. The clientele where sometime difficult but that was to be expected. Overall good place to work
Pros
Freedom to be creative
Do not work at Travis County District Clerk's Office
ASSISTANT DEPUTY CLERK (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 18, 2017
If you decide to interview for court clerk position at the district clerks office (Especially if the position is in room 103 or 106), I HIGHLY suggest you go interview somewhere else. The pay and benefits will NEVER outweigh the stress and structure of this demanding job...management is awful and so is the leadership.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
management, cutthroat, endless work
Part time tutoring
Independent Primary Education Science Tutor (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXAugust 14, 2017
It was a perfect experience for a busy college student. Most of the families were amazing to work with and I enjoyed being able to help students connect with their school work.
Tough place to work for
Lead/Tax Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 8, 2017
A typical day is very busy. Makes they day fly by. I've learned how to deal with the public and to never take anything personal. Gets you nowhere. I've been a lead in my office for over 3 years. I have learned so much and taken on a lot of responsibility in the 3 years and I am thankful for that. The workplace is great since I have no supervisor watching over me. We do our work and we don't get bothered. The most difficult part of my job is serving the public. My job is to serve the public. I take pride in serving the public but it comes with its down falls. It's a tough job and you've got to learn to leave your problems at the door. People are going to be upset with you due to new laws that you have no control over. It's up to you on how you handle that. I enjoy my job because of the team I've built since I've been a lead. As long as they can back you up it makes for a great work environment.
Pros
My coworkers and holidays
Cons
No breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Travis County. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.6InHerSight Score

1.2Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight