TREASURE ISLAND JOB CORPS Employee Reviews

productive
Security Guard, Welcome Booth (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 30, 2018
i would recommend working at treasure island job corps it is a productive fun work place with wonderful students. you can gain alot of expirience neccessary for future jobs.
Productive fun workplace with activities
Facility Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 15, 2018
A trade school with a lot of things to do. Programs providing schooling. Field trips on weekends. Learn about our environment in the community. And providing housing and placement. For the completer.
Pros
Get certified
Cons
Pay is low
Productive work
Student (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 25, 2018
Pretty much just clean up after breakfast and the 2 lunches which includes washing dishes, taking out trash, cleaning tables and sweeping and mopping.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
minimum wage
School/Trade
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 17, 2018
It was amazing to work with students your age or older. It is a excellent program for those who didn't make it through high school to graduate and or find a trade they are interested in.
Great
Greeted and assisted (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 12, 2018
It is a great everyday experience. You learn something new everyday. You get as much as you put in. Everyone is open to help on another and the food is great.
not a good enviroment
Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 5, 2018
terrible place to work, a lot of very unprofessional people. Management is not friendly nor understanding. i wouldn't suggest this place to anyone to work
The left and right hand do not speak
Adams & Associate (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 31, 2018
There are processes in place that are not followed. Staff is questioned about why the processes are not followed but, not given support from management. Most work gets done from the side of your desk
Pros
The students are wonderful
Cons
There is a lack of competent managers
productive, good group of people with intramural activities
Security Guard, Welcome Booth (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 8, 2018
The typical day was fairly relaxed with the work we had to complete. I learned all necessary skills and attributes to be a security guard/officer. I was trained by professionals in the field, one a veteran from the marines who also has many many years experience in the security field and the other a former police officer who now has his own business in security. Workplace culture included getting all the work done that was given and learning everything you need to know about the field. Hardest part of the job was knowing I wasn't getting paid as much as I had to have liked. The most enjoyable part, however, was my colleagues in the workplace.
Pros
free meals and free living
Cons
not high pay
Job is very enjoyable
Homeland Security (Former Employee) –  Treasure Island, CADecember 14, 2017
Treasure Island Job Corps Homeland Security was a very enjoyable job dealing with the students who attended the vocational school they offer a lot of helth benefits and all staff and management are very friendly
Office Addministator
Wellness Receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 11, 2017
I came to TIJC the beginning of February I left the program in July. My total stayed at the program was 5 months, Throughout my stay I did not receive any type of support in my trade (OA) I basically did everything on my own, and once I graduated from the program they did not offer any help finding a job. Thankfully I have a Lot of contacts and now I work as a Office Administrator. (But lets keep in mind not everyone has the same contacts which means most of the people in OA don't always leave with a job)
Pros
Free Food, Free Bus/Bart TIckets, I had an amazing consular
Cons
Lack Of managment, No support, Bad Vibes

Want to know more about TREASURE ISLAND JOB CORPS?

Ask a question
Very stressful and chaotic environment. Very low pay and poor benefits.
Academic Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 11, 2017
This environment is packed with high-risk students, which upon interview, it was not mentioned. Administration is more about data and not the students. Low support to staff when dealing with difficult situations and difficult students.

What I learned in this situation is that all students has issues that contribute to their learning. Some issues are easier to deal with than others, but once it is identified, working with students become much easier. Sometimes when working with these students, there is a fine line between success and failure. Patience plays a huge part in this position.
Pros
Peaceful surrounding of Treasure Island, cheap lunches from the Culinary department, and a free bus shuttle to and from Oakland during commute hours.
Cons
Poor pay and benefits, very chaotic and stressful environment, low support from upper management.
repetitive and easy
Dorm Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 11, 2017
good place to work, nice location. interdepartmental communication. fast-paced, zero tolerance, high morale. Good management, organized, clean, and consistent.
Cons
healthcare costs are high
Road trips for the teenagers first day
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 31, 2017
I learned time management, how to be patient how to have goals for myself and achieve it. I would wake up go to the cafeteria and eat breakfast then i would head straight to my training class of office administration and learn in an self-paced environment.
Pros
Free lunch, breakfast, dinner
Cons
You have to stay focused on your goal you want to achieve
great needs improvement
Career Instructor/Advanced Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Treasure Island, CAAugust 29, 2017
Excellent way to get your foot in the door. I believe that this position is a great way to start off. however there are a couple of misleading points about the job. The issues are its a lack of work based compensation.
Pros
great hours incentives
Cons
employees are not compensated enough for their work efforts
Treasure Island Job Corps Center
Security Guard Internship (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 25, 2017
While I was attending Treasure Island Job Corps Center as a security intern, I gained the skills I need in order to efficiently work as a security officer. I learned how to maintain safety on the center by preventing strangers from entering.
Pros
Enjoyable working environment
Cons
Understaffed
Uptight workplace
Women's Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Treasure Island, CAJune 30, 2017
A normal day is opening the office, wiping down the desk and outside are before students of Laney College President came. Provide support for faculty and upper management.
Graveyard. Very little upward mobility from that position. Very little support from HR or management
Residential Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 26, 2017
Graveyard was very taxing on the body. The Work load was reasonable, but management did not trust staff in general. There was a culture of pitting staff against each other in order to maximize outcomes. Working Grave meant that I was seldom in contact with management, therefore, applying for other positions put me up against people who had regular contact with those they would interview with. In addition, staff on the Prime shift would be told to apply by management. Management would already have a staff member in mind before the new job had been posted.
Pros
Day times off, had medical and dental coverage.
Cons
No weekends off, no holidays off, no internal mechanism to incorporate Grave staff with Prime Time culture, current events, or real time information.
Productive, self-paced workplace
Completed Office Administration Class (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 5, 2017
It is a very self-paced trade learning program. We have free food, beds, and everything else here is paid for. I enjoy living here, and learning a free trade.
Pros
Free room and board, college, ID and Drivers liscence
Productive but not enough training
Internship Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 30, 2017
A typical day in the copy corner would be a typical day in an office. Stapling papers, printing all three different sizes of papers, answering the phone, restock on papers, pens, pencils, staples, recycle, take out trash every Friday and refill the water jugs. Copy corner has its cons as well as its pros. The pros are independent work, free lunch, and getting paid based on your rating. The cons however are my biggest concern. Trainees are not thoroughly trained I had to ask at least the first two weeks how to work a printer, specifically how to email documents, finding the correct paper size and the fact that the supervisor is hardly there I cant fill up the water jugs or cups. I expected that the supervisor or the assistant to train me everything about copy corner but I learned from past trainees and a lot by myself.
Pros
Free Lunch, Work Base Learning, Independent work
Cons
Not enough training, barely anybody to train througly
I was a student.
Demoer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 1, 2017
I was a student at Treasure Island Job Corps Center for roughly two years.
This is a good place to learn a trade and sharpen your skills for advanced employment, however, the standards for people being accepted into this school are very low.