Tribune Company Employee Reviews

Great company to work for..
Helpdesk / System Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2019
Great company to work for..will recommend
Diversity, Career advancement , recognition and values..

I worked might shift but sometime I have to stay longer or come back for meetings. My manager made sure to schedule meeting in early hours so I can stay little longer and attend meeting and than I get night off. Also I saw that our news letter always had greeting section for employees birthdays and work anniversary or any kind of appreciation .

Employee was considered as partner and not just NUMBER..
Newspapers are a way of Life
Newspaper Delivery (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 6, 2019
Delivering Newspapers is a 7 day a week/365 day a year job. You don't get days off. You work in the worst weather. You maintain a route. You get charged a lot of money for complaints. Tough job. Takes a special kind of person to do this work.
Stressful, Depressing Enviroment
Account Executive/Sales (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 1, 2019
Run, don't walk, away from this sinking ship. The more you sell, the more they'll figure out ways for you not to receive compensation for it. Stressful unrealistic expectations.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
Everything else!
time is of the essense at tribune direct.
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 20, 2018
you must be a hard worker and very adaptable with a sense of humor to enjoy working at tribune direct. the bosses make you feel welcome when you begin. and let you know when your doing a good job.
Pros
very lacked no one standing over your shoulder
Cons
hard repetive work
Flexible work life balance
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 2, 2018
Tribune offers unlimited vacation days and a flexible work life balance. We're also able to work from home some days. We just moved into the Prudential building in a beautiful space.
Tough times for a once vibrant company.
Account Executive/Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 27, 2018
The company is going through a tough financial time. Necessary reductions in workforce are detrimental in order to make financial targets which are higher than can be reached.
Digital Advertising Rep
Digital Advertising Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 14, 2018
Good people, management meant well. But it was like polishing the brass on the Titanic as it's going down. Unfortunately newspapers are a dying industry, and while we did our best to keep digital ad revenue up, the need was simply declining. Pricing was definitely an issue. Hard to measure ROI.
Limited opportunities
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2018
Everyone works in their own little silos. Zero opportunity for training and advancement as everyone is fighting to protect what little work comes their way.
Pros
lots of free time
Cons
no advancement opportunities
Adventure
Producer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 15, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Tribune Company. I was there years ago in 2000, so things have surely changed since then, but it was a fun place to work with great benefits.
Great experience for first job in graphic field
Graphic Artist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 6, 2018
I interned here as a college student and was kept on full-time after graduation. My mentors were supportive and helpful, but I was shortly let go due to budgeting reasons.
Managed by Fear
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 29, 2018
Tribune is where one goes to experience the trenches.
Tribune is where one goes to experience office politics.
Tribune is where one goes to experience fear, disguised as Leadership.

Rise too high and your own manager will start to vie for your job and sabotage your work.

Make a mistake, and that is all you will ever be known for.

Be faceless in a sea of mediocrity - you’ll fit right in.
Typical corporate environment
Sr. Systems Analyst / Software Developer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2018
Nice people to work with, but typical corporate job. Hours are 9-5. They did let me work remotely most of the time. There was travel when necessary to deploy projects.
A range of skills and experience aquired.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 5, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Tribune. I learned and developed many skills to prepare me for future endeavors. I wish there would have been more job security and a way to grow and move up within the company.
Company Sold
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOJuly 31, 2018
GateHouse Media bought Tribune Publishing and they brought in their own Management from other Plants they closed and we lost out jobs. I wasn't offered another position
Best Opportunity Ever
Credit and Collections Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 11, 2018
I spent over a decade working for Corporate and would still be there today if it were still under old ownership.
Unfortunately, Corporate was dissolved and is no longer here. I was asked to join others in Texas but what the new Corp. was offering me wasn't par to what I had here.
I stayed until the very end along with my director, 2 managers, and a few other people in Financing.
So sorry to see it go.
The people were wonderful, a very work on your own position and
total togetherness with all.
Pros
Everything you could ask for to make the work environment a joy to come to everyday.
No longer in business
Business Copy Editor (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 14, 2018
Company is no longer in business. Enjoyed my time there. Amazing place to learn my copy editing and managing skills. Made some of my best friends there.
I loved working at the Orlando Sentinel
Front End Developer / Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 2, 2018
Working here played a huge role in my career development. They provided the flexibility for one to try new things and grow. I appreciate my time at the orlando sentinel.
Pros
Indoor cafeteria
Cons
No raises
a company trying to change
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 1, 2018
The people can be great, but when that's the best thing to say, it's best to move on or to look elsewhere.
Constantly changing org chart means lack of strategy; zero career development for most employees; insiders get taken care of, everyone else is a warm body.
Fun workplace and not a hard job.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 22, 2018
I enjoyed working at Tribune. I trained New Employees. I was a Machine Operator. I feed material into various machines. I unloaded skids. I assisted with changeovers, as well as, cleaned my work space. And, I got along well with my Co-workers. As well as, with Management. I enjoyed the Company Holiday Events (Parties).
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Only 1 break
A dying industry
Sr. Circulation Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTFebruary 12, 2018
The daily stress of not knowing if or when people would be laid off was stressful. As employees left, so did their knowledge base. Every week there was a new challenge to overcome from having to determine who dropped off and how to get a process up and running again.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No room for advancement, shrinking labor force, and loss of knowledge base.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tribune Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.2Fairygodboss Score

60%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss