Tribune Media Company

Tribune Media Company Employee Reviews

United States97 reviews
I really liked my job but when a new company bought the station,
my job was eliminated. The people were great, I enjoyed working there.

I worked there for 23 years and this was the third and final buyout for me. Tribune Media no longer exists.
Good, flexible jobs with easy work that is meaningful. Always aware of the meaning of one's work. Coworkers were a delight, very supportive. Overall great place to work.
The moral at this company is very low across the board. They overwork their worker and at the same time under compensated their employees. Management at the top levels are always going on expensive outings, so called work related travel, and gives themselves really high salaries. I wouldn't recommend working here. Only work there temporarily to gain the experience and go to another company that's fair but I wouldn't recommend working here a long period of time. Th
The accounting department at Tribune is what you would expect from such a historical organization. The people are knowledgeable and will help you out when you need it. Whenever researching some new accounting pronouncement or implementing a new software or procedure I could always ask people their opinions and get a well articulated response. The average length of service was in the decades and the culture reflected this. The company was acquired by Nexstar and everyone was let go.
Insanely archaic in methodology and approach. Middle-to-senior management would likely be unable to land entry-level jobs elsewhere. There is zero trust in management to see their way out of a paper bag, let alone carve a path for current employees or the company at large. Avoid at all costs.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Great company. Great experience. My first time working in the media industry. Tribune had a great training/onboarding program. I was an HR Manager supporting three stations. Tribune was bought by Nexstar and my position was eliminated. All in all it was a great experience!
Top level management was questionable. The company was split off from Tribune Corporation. Tribune Publishing was saddled with almost all the most burdensome costs, including all Publishing assets. Tribune Media retained television stations, movie studios, production assets, and all real estate. Substantial real estate holdings were all sold off - and company still managed to lose money to the point where the only way to keep it alive was to sell it off. First attempt was to Sinclair Media, which they somehow managed to botch - eventual sale was to Nexstar.
Perfect job for students looking to earn some part-time income on the weekends. Work is straightforward & fulfilling, company is well run & management is fair, accommodating & balanced.
Tribune Media Indianapolis ran two News stations. It was a fun challenge to promote two separate brands at the same time. This duopoly situation forced a marketer to attempt to grow market share on one station without diminishing the viewership of the other. Tribune invested in employee growth and often promoted from within whenever possible.
This could've been a fun place to work because it is focused more on lifestyle than hard hitting news. There were some fun opportunities, but my manager was able to suck the fun out almost everything. He was a raving lunatic. Yelling and insulting people. He was not on top of dates and often would come out in a huff demanding a rush project that he forgot was coming due. He did not pay attention to detail. He did not distribute the work fairly. He was immature. He held grudges if you did something he didn't like. He was obsessed with winning awards and would throw out perfectly good promos if they didn't please his "friends in California" all the while pressing the issue of being hyper local. This place is Mickey Mouse. Not a place to go if you are serious about a career but a good stepping stone if you're fresh out of school and need practice. No one there was at the top of their game.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Tribune Media Company?
awesome place to work. We have employee computer room, pingpong table, recreation room with big screen TVS and couches. He have a very big parking lot
Getting laid off twice wasn't that positive. The show that I worked on went through so many changes audiences members never knew what to expect. The newsroom culture was allowed to be hostile without being checked or contained.
The company has never been the same since it went bankrupt around 10 years ago, with constantly changing management and ownership. It is now part of Nexstar Media after a corporate takeover.
Tribune Media was an awesome company to work for unfortunately it has now been acquired by NexStar Media Company which does not share the same type of opportunities.
Working for Tribune Media was a great experience. Working in Chicago is something everyone should do. I have never worked at a company with so many friendly people. It must be a mid0west thing.
at the station it was one of the most toxic work environments I've ever experienced. The Management is honestly so bad you have to see it to believe it. If you are someone who needs constructive criticism or just any support do not come work here.
The staff is more like a family. Working in the news/media industry at Tribune Media Company opened many doors career-wise for me.Tribune Media Company provided a pleaseant and rewarding work experience for a college student.
The company is being sold but it has been a wonderful place to learn - lots of challenges, changes acquisitions and divestitures. Several great leaders over the years.
Tribune Media focuses on telling accurat, fair, and compelling stories. Employees are respected and treated well. I've been in the business for five years and this is the best company I have ever worked for.
Management is out to prove that hard work dedication and seniority mean absolutely nothing. There must be a reason Tribune was sold. Don't believe the employees would benefit or profit from it.
Pros
Free coffee.
Cons
Numerous. Inequality in policy enforcement. Bad communications.
Great Company, great products to sell, I wish they weren't up for sale! It's a difficult job as many advertisers are going away from traditional media
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tribune Media Company. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8