Tribune Media Company Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Miserable
Producer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 30, 2018
Horrible micromanaging, favoritism, scapegoating. Employee morale depressing. Unfair review system, management is fear-based. So many unhappy people in toxic environment.
Productive place
Associate Infrastructure Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 11, 2018
Tribune Media allows you to grow and develop your skills for IT professionals. You are given free range under a framework which is the best way to gain real life experience and understanding.
Pros
Great IT team.
Cons
Not enough team outings
Non-advancement, toxic working environment
News Photographer (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARApril 9, 2018
Working for Tribune Media was one of the worst job experiences I've ever encountered. Management not only lacked in communicating with their employees, but gave discouraging feedback. Everything well done went unnoticed and praise was never given for the good. Co workers spoke negatively towards each other and never gave helpful feedback.
Not What it Once Was
Director of Sales (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2018
When I joined this company the team in place had rebounded from bankruptcy during the recession. The team and leadership that remained for the most part were resourceful and watched out for their people. Then during a re-organization, our excellent divisional leader was unceremoniously forced out and they brought in new outside leadership from a competitor. The culture was instantly squashed and it all went downhill very quickly.
Pros
Some amazing people in the local markets, average pay and benefits
Cons
Management hires, bureaucracy, instability
Favorite job!
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 21, 2018
I truly enjoyed my time working there! Great coworker and manager! As long as you are being active and doing your best you won't have any issues. Positive working environment is a plus!
Associate Creative Designer, Local Sales (Current Employee) –  Willoughby, OHMarch 19, 2018
While the pay could be better, my day is not stressful. Because I work from home, I am afforded the time I need to keep a wonderful work/life balance. My management team is composed of those who demand your best work, but also demand that you take time for you. As long as the work gets done when it needs to be done, you are in the clear.
A good company but will soon be gone
Financial Analyst - Financial Planning & Analysis (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2018
Overall, a good experience, great team, very personable leadership, open-door policy. Unsure what will happen after the merge, expect a lot to change..
no company culture, underpaid, employees treated poorly.
Captioner (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTFebruary 23, 2018
because the job is completely independent, there is no workplace or company culture. employees are drastically underpaid, and the head of the department is vindictive and not tolerant of mental health issues.
Pros
good technology
Cons
everythinmg
Average Assistant Job
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 21, 2018
Worked closely with VP of Group Sales in deals, speaking to contacts through all 42 of Tribunes television stations, and created vignettes. Wasn't much of a culture.
Long hours but worth it
Anchor/Reporter (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 3, 2018
Hosted a 3 hour lonng morning show that started at 5 am. The hours were long and it was a start up show so there was a lot of stress and long hours. We did make it into a very sucessful launch.
Pros
Creatibe environment
Cons
Great for personal life, but not so great for career advancement
Editor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 24, 2018
Most days I would come in and choose from a list of stories I could edit. After I chose the story, I'd gather resources to edit the story. Then I'd edit the story and get it approved by a manager before it aired on live TV.
Great Place To Start A Career
Producer (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJanuary 3, 2018
Great people and energetic office. Willing to train new staff. Not always open to new ideas. It's a typical local newsroom. Every day is different and that's a good thing.
Strong staff demanding schedules
Senior TV Investigative News Reporter & Anchor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 10, 2017
Tribune is a good broadcasting company. Treats its employees fair. Demanding schedules and expectations for staff. For the most part a good place to work.
Ping Pong
Infrastructure Engineer (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 6, 2017
Table right there and culture was awesome.
If it were not a contract I would still be there.
The culture is very laid back and the manager is awesome to work with.
Pros
Paid Lunch
Cons
Conctract, not full time employment.
It's been a new experience!!
Facility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 21, 2017
I will not add or take away anything from this company it's just time to move on. I haven't been here very long so I don't have much to say. They were bought shortly after I was hired. And I wish them all the best.
Engaging place to work
National Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 30, 2017
The culture at Tribune is friendly and supportive. The job offered good support and allowed freedom and autonomy to build your business within and under the Tribune umbrella.
Pros
Autonomy, Supportive environment
Cons
At times, slow to make decisions
Not a bad place to work but very stressful
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 13, 2017
Extremely fast-paced environment that doesn't allow for a lot of mistakes.

Great team atmosphere but the company as a whole isn't fully committed to its success.
relaxed atmosphere. good crew
TV Broadcast engineer/Master control (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 3, 2017
Channel 13(Tribune) had a record of hiring inept supervisors which created a combative and anxious atmosphere.
It did have good benefits and excellent co-workers.
Pros
fellow engineers
Cons
mandatory lunch breaks
You're on your own
News Producer (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CAAugust 27, 2017
KTLA was basically every man/woman for themselves. There were some very nice co-workers - and a lot of people to avoid. There was training on the CMS and other programs - the quality of that training depended upon who was doing the training. The most enjoyable aspect was turning a good news story and getting it on the air.
Pros
not many
Cons
cut-throat culture
Relaxed and organized environment
Application Engineer Workday HCM and Finance (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 16, 2017
my day basically starts with checking any tickets generated by integration issues or from any users and follow up accordingly and work on any enhancement requested by user and report to my manager.

i can say that i have leaned how to work with a team collaborate on a daily basis may that be sharing knowledge helping a team member or sharing ideas that helps the organization.

very organized management always pays attentive to employees

most enjoyable part of the job is tem meeting and ping pong during lunch break