Tribune Media Company Employee Reviews

Master Control was an afterthought in the company
Master Control/ Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 16, 2018
Master control was only noticed when something went wrong. It was sometimes tough to get paid time off. There was too much micromanaging within the department.
Great place to start your career
Event Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2018
If you are in marketing or community relations, working for a media company helps you make connections that can boost your career in the future. But it is a lot of hours.
Pros
Media contacts.
Cons
work life balance
Frightened of skillful employees
Audio Engineer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 24, 2018
I did audio engineering here for about a year and a half, and the training was great for the first few months. After that, there was no training AT ALL. There were many positions open in different but related departments all the time, but management refused to provide any opportunities for people to learn beyond what their current position was. It may have just been the manager at my specific station, but I heard it said that they didn't want to provide further training to employees for fear of making them more qualified for jobs outside of the company. In my opinion, a company that fears bettering its own employees has the wrong priorities.
Operator
Master Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 22, 2018
A typical day at work is monitoring emails, signal flow and quality.
I learned how television programming works
Work place culture is Senority rules
The hardest part is working there knowing I am not getting equal pay.
The most enjoyable part of the job is going home.
Miserable
Producer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 30, 2018
Horrible micromanaging, favoritism, scapegoating. Employee morale depressing. Unfair review system, management is fear-based. So many unhappy people in toxic environment.
Payroll Tax Analyst
Payroll Tax Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 14, 2018
I can't speak for regular employees but as a temp in the payroll department, I was super impressed with the group.

They worked hard and were knowledgeable, especially the director.

I enjoyed my short stint there but didn't enjoy the commute. They were flexible, let me work from home if I needed to.

As a contractor- it was one of the better assignments and companies I worked for in a long time.
Pros
Flexibility, Manangement
Productive place
Associate Infrastructure Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 11, 2018
Tribune Media allows you to grow and develop your skills for IT professionals. You are given free range under a framework which is the best way to gain real life experience and understanding.
Pros
Great IT team.
Cons
Not enough team outings
Non-advancement, toxic working environment
News Photographer (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARApril 9, 2018
Working for Tribune Media was one of the worst job experiences I've ever encountered. Management not only lacked in communicating with their employees, but gave discouraging feedback. Everything well done went unnoticed and praise was never given for the good. Co workers spoke negatively towards each other and never gave helpful feedback.
Not What it Once Was
Director of Sales (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2018
When I joined this company the team in place had rebounded from bankruptcy during the recession. The team and leadership that remained for the most part were resourceful and watched out for their people. Then during a re-organization, our excellent divisional leader was unceremoniously forced out and they brought in new outside leadership from a competitor. The culture was instantly squashed and it all went downhill very quickly.
Pros
Some amazing people in the local markets, average pay and benefits
Cons
Management hires, bureaucracy, instability
A difficult work environment
Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 26, 2018
Working at Tribune Media FOX59 was a challenge. There was little to no support from management. And, the environment on a daily basis was intense. It often times was a high school-like place to work in.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
Difficult work environment
Favorite job!
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 21, 2018
I truly enjoyed my time working there! Great coworker and manager! As long as you are being active and doing your best you won't have any issues. Positive working environment is a plus!
Associate Creative Designer, Local Sales (Current Employee) –  Willoughby, OHMarch 19, 2018
While the pay could be better, my day is not stressful. Because I work from home, I am afforded the time I need to keep a wonderful work/life balance. My management team is composed of those who demand your best work, but also demand that you take time for you. As long as the work gets done when it needs to be done, you are in the clear.
A good company but will soon be gone
Financial Analyst - Financial Planning & Analysis (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2018
Overall, a good experience, great team, very personable leadership, open-door policy. Unsure what will happen after the merge, expect a lot to change..
no company culture, underpaid, employees treated poorly.
Captioner (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTFebruary 23, 2018
because the job is completely independent, there is no workplace or company culture. employees are drastically underpaid, and the head of the department is vindictive and not tolerant of mental health issues.
Pros
good technology
Cons
everythinmg
Average Assistant Job
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 21, 2018
Worked closely with VP of Group Sales in deals, speaking to contacts through all 42 of Tribunes television stations, and created vignettes. Wasn't much of a culture.
Long hours but worth it
Anchor/Reporter (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 3, 2018
Hosted a 3 hour lonng morning show that started at 5 am. The hours were long and it was a start up show so there was a lot of stress and long hours. We did make it into a very sucessful launch.
Pros
Creatibe environment
Cons
Great for personal life, but not so great for career advancement
Editor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 24, 2018
Most days I would come in and choose from a list of stories I could edit. After I chose the story, I'd gather resources to edit the story. Then I'd edit the story and get it approved by a manager before it aired on live TV.
Great Place To Start A Career
Producer (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJanuary 3, 2018
Great people and energetic office. Willing to train new staff. Not always open to new ideas. It's a typical local newsroom. Every day is different and that's a good thing.
Strong staff demanding schedules
Senior TV Investigative News Reporter & Anchor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 10, 2017
Tribune is a good broadcasting company. Treats its employees fair. Demanding schedules and expectations for staff. For the most part a good place to work.
Ping Pong
Infrastructure Engineer (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 6, 2017
Table right there and culture was awesome.
If it were not a contract I would still be there.
The culture is very laid back and the manager is awesome to work with.
Pros
Paid Lunch
Cons
Conctract, not full time employment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tribune Media Company. Our community is ready to answer.