Tribune Review

Tribune Review Employee Reviews

United States18 reviews
Management at the Trib was aware of the demands and stresses of putting out a daily newspaper. Job duties were well defined with room for flexibility.
The work was boring, but it was fine, the coworkers were rude, crass, and childish with constant complaints. i was bullied multiple times and nothing was done to resolve the issue, ended up leaving for my own health. Unless you want to work like a dog and have the thickest skin, would not recommend.
The sea change in the culture has been difficult for many in traditional newspapers to weather. But these problems were exacerbated by poor management decisions and lack of understanding of how the internet was going to rearrange the industry. The managers were perhaps trapped by a very certain kind of management structure, it's true, but beyond that, decisions that could have been made differently and steps that could have been taken in anticipation of the coming new reality were not taken, despite warnings. Even now, they still refuse to adapt quickly enough. They overextended themselves financially and made other poor choices to please the former publisher, made big decisions by fiat instead of group decision and utilizing good data practices and are now stuck with the legacy of that. When the current top people were put in, they clearly weren't promoted by merit, but by being close with the children of the now-deceased publisher. Breaking news -- that's a bad idea.
Pros
Chance to do real journalism
Cons
Breaks practically non-existent, ever-increasing pressure to do more faster with less.
I answered phone to assist customers with their subscriptions. I also helped district managers with running and tracking carrier contests. I also sorted and delivered mail.
Pros
descent work environment
Cons
hiring freeze.
This was always a contest to see who could get the most calls. working with the other reps was okay and fun. Working there had no advancement for me to stay.
I have not worked at the Trib for more than 8 years, it was a decent place to work at the time. It was a very fast paced environment due to the deadlines associated with a daily newspaper. Great co-workers, fun work environment.
Pros
Paid time off, good health insurance, 401K
Cons
Regular overtime required
Very poorly managed! Went totally digital and laid off most of employees despite late owners dying wishes! Would not recommend getting involved with this management team.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
No respect from management
The Tribune Review was a good place to work to sharpen my graphic design skills. It is a fast paced deadline oriented newspaper. Great co-workers and good place.
The only ones that progress with company are those in the inner circle of friends with the CEO and her husband! Company decided not to print a hard copy newspaper and stop serving customers that still wanted the paper because they could increase their profit margin by laying off the majority of their workforce.
Pros
pay
Cons
promotion and job stability.
Working at the Tribune Review as a Package Handler was easy. But the work environment was not that good. People did not communicate well to each other.
Pros
I have worked at the Trib for many years. We just underwent a conversion on January 1st. Since that time I have been very disappointed in the company.
Pros
good benfits
Cons
long work hours
A wonderful job but one that wore me down. The later issue was my fault as I was a perfectionist. Superb management. Wonderful compensation.
I worked fulltime at the Tribune-Review for 13 years, during which time, I had 3 children. I began as a phone room ad taker in the classified department, then was promoted to outside classified rep. In that position I handled all recruitment display ads, as well as all real estate display ads. I learned that being a team player is important. The advertising dept. was very competitive, and if you didn't take care of your customers, someone else in the department would steal them. That was the hardest part of the job. The best part was the friendships I made. These friends are my lifelong friends, who saw me through 3 pregnancies while working. We attended each others weddings and baby showers, etc. I left the Tribune-Review after 13 years, when my youngest child was 8 months old, due to the opportunity to be a full time stay-at-home Mom.
Pros
Opportunity for great commissions, life long friendships
Cons
Fast paced, stress producing work, always a deadline!
Have a good benefit package, employees are great to work with.
Pros
Good benifits, good hours
Cons
Little chance for advancment
Provided personal service to customers at their home, in assigned district. Obtaining new sales and retaining existing customers for the Tribune review.
Hired and fired contractors that provided the door-to-door service, delivering the Tribune Review in the assigned district.
Great company , bonuses, very nice envirement. Streeful at times but fun and fastpaced. Deadlines daily.Very enjoyable .
Pros
Great flexible hours
Cons
This is an excellent company to work for, I enjoyed my time there, and would deffinately work there again!
Pros
everything!
Cons
commute from the south.
Must be dedicated to working independently and working in all weather and 365 days. also must use your own car.