Trillium Family Services Employee Reviews

Friendly Workers
Fast paced
Very Easy Work
Understanding jobs
Nothing could ever go wrong, someone is always there to help you regardless of the situation. Good or bad
Pros
Breaktimes
Cons
Short Breaks
Challenging and stressful but rewording
SKILLS TRAINER (FULL TIME) (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJuly 2, 2018
A typical day at work is when the kids are in their optimum performance, I did learn a lot, such as how to be emotionally intelligent and to be rationally detached but more so to be genuine, respectful and not being nonjudgmental to the clients. Being able to collaboratively solve problems in order to meet expectations and concerns and also being able to intervene in a crisis management interventions in a non-violent manner. Building therapeutic rapport with the clients and to maintain safety for both clients and staff. I learned that in order to achieve a satisfactory goal in any organization the management has to be collaborative, consistent and informative in their decision making. An effective workplace is where there is communication among staff, where there is flexibility, where there is an inclusion and also where there is a goal oriented. The hardest part of my job is the stressful environment. But it is rewarding because I learn each and every day I work with the client and being able to make a difference in the life of the kids who are vulnerable is nothing more rewarding than that.
Pros
Free meal and ample time to study for school
Cons
Staff injuries and a lot of loafing
Working for the Mission / Work Life Balance
Vice President of Finance (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 22, 2018
Trillium is a fantastic place of employment. We care about our mission and is driven to give the best possible mental and behavior health care while still maintaining a work and life balance for its employees.
Pros
autonomy, growth, devleopment
Cons
financial stress
Too much backstabbing
Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 21, 2018
The employees were not treated as a priority. I was laid off after going through the first stages of my divorce.I had asked for assistance because I was the only on in my dept. after my manager was terminated. I had no real back up, was secluded in my office, and was not allowed to work from home even though I had very little to no foot traffic in my office. I sometimes had to to travel to the Corvallis campus to train in CPR and monthly training for new hires, and it was stressful when not everyone would show up nor communicate with me regarding any updates. There was no intention of keeping the Training Dept. after my manager was terminated. I was led to believe they were willing to work with me, but as my divorce progressed, they weren't willing to help me, leaving me to face possible eviction due to lack of income. They had gone through 3 rounds of lay offs prior to mine.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Upper Management is shady
Great Team work
School Based, Child and Family Therapist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 24, 2018
I enjoyed the team I worked on, they were supportive and the meetings were fun. I also liked the fact that I was not micro managed. I was let free to do my job.
Dedicated to helping children
Residential Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 21, 2018
Coordinated supplies needed for individual clients. I learned how to be organized and efficient. There was always something needed to be done..I was always up for the task. The hardest part of the job was seeing a family or individual clients hardship.
Pros
Relationships with staff
Good job in the area.
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNMay 19, 2018
Always hiring, great management, and good benefits. There are several different branches, but typically, they are good at pairing PCA's with consumers.

Most of the supervisors are the best bosses I've ever had, no doubt. You can always call for advice and help.

The hardest part of the job was not getting emotionally attached to the consumers. As any PCA should say, they're like family. But that's also the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
great management, good benifits, always hiring, and good path to advance. extra pay on weekends, holiday parties, paid training, and the office has dogs.
Cons
holidays required, no overtime.
You Make a Difference
Skills Trainer II (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORApril 25, 2018
The work is extremely hard but rewarding. I have never worked with a better group of people, it brings a whole new meaning to team work. The residents can become violent and knowing that everyone from nursing to management is there to support you is a good feeling. They do have their issues with choosing management though, you go through a lot of incompetent Skills Trainer Supervisors to get to the good ones. Management above the STS are pretty absent, the kids dont get the counseling from the therapists that they truly need. My only complaints would be to better screen STS's as there was def. conflict of interests between a couple managers, they were unable to handle the stress which lead to severe situations with the clients and blame on staff. The company as a whole does not give employees mental health days which is what we coach and preach to the youth served.
Pros
Pay, Rewarding work, Management
Cons
Some Management, High Stress, Violent kiddos
Excellent environment
Training Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 10, 2018
A typical day involved knowledge and understanding of what trainings needed to be performed or scheduled, what employees needed specific trainings. Managing database
People are amazing, hard job working with difficult youth, passion for their jobs.
Stressful environment. Little positivity.
Skills Trainer Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORApril 5, 2018
Trillium (Farm Home) is extremely stressful and often unorganized. Management and the clinical teams are difficult to get along with and do not take the opinions of the staff on the floor daily. In order to appreciate this job, you really have to love the small things, like when a client reports doing well every now and then.
Pros
Hands-on experience. Looks great on a resume. The kids can be really fun to work with!
Cons
Gross food. Short breaks. Can be physically and emotionally exhausting.
The best and worst place I've ever worked
SKILLS TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORFebruary 1, 2018
If you want a job where the highs are incredibly high, and the lows are incredibly low, Trillium is for you. The training academy is pretty amazing, as are most of your co-workers, but the kids you care for range from complete angels to being emotionally and mentally exhausting. When things come together and you have a great day with them, there's no better feeling in the world. When people are fighting and getting out of control, you want to be anywhere else but there. Between the fact that they use seclusion for the kids who are acting out, and the boundary issues involving the kids, I felt extremely uncomfortable working there. All that needs to happen is a kid accuses you of touching them in an inappropriate manner, and you'll get canned and possibly worse. Because of this, I found this to be a really dangerous work environment, and left at the first chance I had. Even though there were fun times, this keeps me from going back.

Also, if you like a separation from work and home, you won't get it here. You are constantly getting requests to come in on your days off.
Pros
Great atmosphere, strong sense of teamwork, fun activities with kids
Cons
Can be very hostile, company will always side with children over you, constantly being asked to cover shifts.
Variety of challenges and growth
Skills Trainer (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJanuary 13, 2018
Working at Trillium Family Services was both a challenge and a gift. The work environment was generally fast-paced and stressful, as we would attend to acute and prolonged crisis. Nonetheless, the position offered many benefits, including building rapport with the adolescents and staff, learning about dialectal behavior therapy, and learning more about mental health overall.
Pros
Free meals, compassionate coworkers, good pay
Cons
Limited breaks, dealing with crisis
Understaffed
Qualified Mental Health Associate (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJanuary 8, 2018
Because this organization has been chronically understaffed, it is a stressful work environment on top of the already challenging work. The lack of staff and thorough training create dangerous situations for staff and clients alike.
Positive working culture limited by funding resources
Mid-Level Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 3, 2018
Interdepartmental communications are not where they need to be for the Sanctuary Model of Care culture to flourish. Management is very supportive but is limited to non-profit company's available funding--some years management has to take a decrease in pay in-order-for subordinates to have an annual wage increase.
Great community
Child and Family Therapist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 22, 2017
Trillium has a very safe and secure community for employees. I felt part of a team and collaboration and teamwork was encouraged. There was freedom to be yourself and room for growth. Ideas were encouraged. Trainings were excellent. I felt supported and valued.
Pros
Free lunch, flexible work schedule, independence, trainings, team meetings, retreats
Cons
buy, paperwork, documentation, isolation for school based positions
Meaningful work
Intake Manager, Metro Region (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 21, 2017
I loved my coworkers and the work I did. I wish they paid more. I find my supervisor to be very supportive. I felt overworked, which is partly my fault, but also is encouraged by the environment, as much as they try not to have it that way.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Non profit pay
Not a bad place to work
Skills Trainer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 2, 2017
Good for someone just getting started. This was my 1st job out of college. Good training opportunities, but I felt like there was a lot of disconnect between departments.
Pros
lots of entry level positions
Cons
low pay
Great skills gained
House Manager (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNOctober 9, 2017
I loved my house hold at this company I learned how to deal with people and interact with everyone and how to manage my time and be as effective as I can.
Hostile work culture.
Skills Trainer (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, OROctober 8, 2017
Wouldn’t recommend working here. Management and HR are not very supportive and people lose their jobs for the silliest reasons like gossip and there are usually no investigations done. Be very careful about who you work with here and what you say and do. It’s pretty much high school all over again.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Poor management, lack of leadership, hostile work environment
Great team
Therapeutic Skills Trainer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 2, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with TFS. Although there have been some issues with management and budgets, I always felt supported and heard. Ideas were met with understanding and allowances to implement them.
Pros
Great team, supportive managment