Trilogy Education Services Employee Reviews

Pretty good
Accounts Specialist (Remote) (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 9, 2019
Remote work - It was alright. I enjoyed working there. They could use improvement in their management and they could easily invest more in their teachers.
Pros
Remote
Cons
Meh
A Workplace Where Miracles Happen
Academic Interviewer (Current Employee) –  RemoteApril 8, 2019
Trilogy Education Services is a Workforce Accelerator that partners with the world's leading universities to help companies bridge the digital skills gap.

By empowering the world's leading universities to prepare students for careers in the technology field they fill the never-ending void of qualified professionals.

I clearly recognize the global changes that confront us. I believe by staying current and informed, we face these challenges on an even playing field with the world's competitors.
Rapidly Declining Company
Student Accounts (Former Employee) –  RemoteMarch 25, 2019
I started out working remote and that was exciting. For an entry level finance job, 45k plus the benefits weren't bad. I truly did enjoy working for the company..Like I said, it was all work from home. Unfortunately, management was the most difficult part of the job. Ineptitude reigns supreme at Trilogy and there are constant (and I mean constant) changes you have to adapt to unless you want to get the boot. The entire thing also had a very 'scammy' feel to it. I was invited by accident to a remote meeting with the admissions department and I overheard that there was an issue paying our teachers their salaries. That was weird. Maybe I heard wrong, I don't think I did, so I was always left wondering about that. Great benefits and decent pay, but like I said, ineptitude reigns supreme. You're probably better off somewhere else
Pros
Benefits, remote work
Cons
Embarrassing, shockingly bad management
Not a great program
Full Stack Tutor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 13, 2019
I was a tutor for Trilogy's coding bootcamp. Their students didn't have much support and the teachers were lousy so when they came to me they were in bad shape. Also, the management had no idea what they were doing or what us tutors were doing. I was somehow paid for MONTHS of work I didn't do because they lost track of me.
Seriously pass, there are better jobs out there. These people aren't worth your time and effort.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 26, 2019
Pros

They record every class and then someone who you will never meet reviews your performance. It gives it a prison/interrogation room vibe if you're into that.

Cons

Instructors are not paid very well. Also, there are many costs and obligations that are not disclosed in the interview.
You will have to pay for parking: This will cost 15 dollars or more per day depending on where you work. You will have to dedicate 3 unpaid hours preparing for each class. You will need more than 3 hours to prepare for each class because there are often many mistakes in the material. You are also obligated to go to several meetings per week outside of the normal class hours. You will not be compensated for these extra meetings. Students will also contact you on slack or email with questions. You are not compensated for the time you spend on student questions outside of class.

Students will ask off-topic questions and will become easily lost in class. Most of the students will not be able to complete class activities and most will give up on completing activities. Students will not complete homework or they will hand it in late. Students will copy or plagiarize their work. The student’s code is not reviewed by instructors but instead is "checked off" by the TAs.

2) The program mixes advanced students with complete beginner students.

The advanced students, of which there will be one or two, will finish their work faster than the rest of the class. and then proceed to leave early. If this happens, you are to burden advanced students with the responsibility of helping the less advanced
  more... students. This doesn’t work because the advanced students want to keep their independence and they also paid to learn and not to be assistants. So, they disengage with the class completely and do not want to work in groups. The less advanced students will become disgruntled with the fact they cannot compete with the advanced students. They will also then disengage, give up, and want to quit. This is an ongoing problem that you will have to manage.

3) There are major problems with the curriculum.

The code and logins in the sample activities will not work at times and the instructions are very vague. The explanations are also unclear. Major parts of the curriculum were outdated. The curriculum depends heavily on using a powerpoint presentation. The PP shows have obnoxious and borderline offensive memes interspersed with content. The content is basic and introductory which does not reflect the intermediate and advanced level of difficulty in the activities and homework assignments. It ends up being a poor reflection on you as students are not able to differentiate between you, the school, and Trilogy. Students will complain about the PP presentations. If you ask for help with the curriculum then Trilogy will send you to a re-education coach. Instead of receiving help with the curriculum you are coached on high-pressure car sales tactics. I was told to pressure the students into agreeing with me. I was told to appeal to their emotions and not worry about whether they’re absorbing the material. The reason being was because the curriculum moves fast to focus on one thing over another. They also encouraged me to discourage the students from asking questions that will go deep into the “why” of how things work in programming. Students will then be surveyed on whether they believe they achieved self-mastery over the timespan of a week.

You will not have the liberty to be a traditional instructor. That is, you are to hand out the getting started or introductory example for each topic and you are discouraged from going deeper. You are to code a few basic examples and that’s it. Meanwhile, the homework and activities are much more difficult and advanced(think 300 - 400 level college class with absolute beginners) you are not equipped with any type of lesson plan to cover these topics. Instead, students are told they must spend 20 hours per week outside of class. They are not given any extra material to help. Only third party resources like free code school (which doesn’t exist anymore). There is no textbook or extra material from Trilogy to offer the students to study for 20hrs per week.

4) The host school is never involved and lacks experience when it comes to providing a boot camp style education.

The classrooms were bland and boring without the ability to use a whiteboard. The internet never worked at all during crucial class time activities. The classroom tech also did not work and would often break in the middle of class. You have to use a recording software to record your classes and this app would often break as well. The recording app will also slow down your computer. The projector in my class was also broken. Diversity and Inclusion is a problem here. Both Trilogy and the host school are for profit and there are no scholarships available to underprivileged students.
Many students will quit by the second week and every week thereafter more than half the class will threaten to quit. They will do everything in their power to stop the students from quitting. Every week you are told the biggest part of your role is to tell the students not to quit. Many students lack basic computer literacy. Many students will not be able to grasp concepts no matter how many times you repeat yourself. Many students will not become invested in the program and their future after the program.

5) There is little support inside and outside of the class.

The TAs do not come prepared for class by reviewing the lessons beforehand. Instead, they blurt out whatever they want while sitting in the back of the class playing on the computer. The TAs are tasked with checking off attendance and HW. The students are not to be encouraged to improve on their homework. TA’s will also make noise talking to each other in the back of the class. Some TAs will sit with arms crossed and will drag their feet when it comes time to help students. I’ve had TAs admit to me that they were in the back of the class working on personal projects instead of being engaged with the class. As an instructor, the TAs are your problem to deal with and you will not receive outside support from the college or Trilogy.

6) There are no after course resources like job placement reports and job guarantee for students.

There is no job guarantee like other coding boot camps, nor do they offer a money back if you do not get a job in software engineering after or during the program. They also do not offer placement statistics. They claim that they do not track any of their candidates. They have no anecdotal evidence either. Meanwhile, they claim to have changed thousands of lives. There aren’t any case studies out of the thousands of students that they’ve graduated.

Overall, you should pass if you’re considering an instructor position with Trilogy.
California-style work environment with Florida-style of management
Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLFebruary 19, 2019
Trilogy Education Services (TES) manages numbers not people. Upper management needs to develop better people skills and incorporate consistent training of new and seasoned managers. Sadly, the Admissions Department has become a revolving-door type of business. Depending on who you are or who knows you, you will find TES a great place to work and vice versa. If you enjoy or thrive off corporate politics, TES is the place for you.
Pros
Growth potential
Cons
Stifled growth
Just started
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 3, 2019
I have literally just started with the company so I do not have much to offer in terms of feedback. I went though the boot camp over the summer and now they are paying me to do it all over again and Im okay with that.
great culture
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLNovember 26, 2018
great office environment for a start up; career advancement as company expands; great rapport building with management and employees.
great health benefits offered to employees and family
Mission-driven & collaborative teams
Director of Enterprise Sales and Partnerships (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 20, 2018
A solid place to work, fast-paced and collaborative environment across teams. Everyone is focused on helping to change lives and deliver great student & customer experiences. Always striving to improve.
Pros
Ability to work virtually, good benefits and professional development
Cons
high turnover
Work-Life Balance Maintained
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 10, 2018
Great people. Fun Place. Lots of learning and teaching. Everything has a structure but never restrain from trying something new.
Would recommend anyone to work at the place.
Has been an Amazing company to work for
Academic Interviewer (Current Employee) –  RemoteJuly 30, 2018
Company focus on positive impact for the Students comes first, they actively cultivate a culture of Transparency to University partners and Students. Managers and Co-workers in my department are fantastic and interdepartmental coordination works remarkably smoothly. Very accommodating to work life balance and encouraging of professional/personal growth.
Pros
Offers well supported remote roles, Fair Pay, Exciting atmosphere
Great Place To Work
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 15, 2018
A very collaborative environment, as well as encouraging.The work pace is quick yet never feels rushed. Fantastic support network. Great people, great culture!
Admissions Advisor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 12, 2018
on the phone all day long, only good part is they requested the information your not selling them something they dont want. Well thats the way it used to work anyway.. managment is a joke.
Great product, great concept, very poor leadership
Vice President (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLMay 14, 2018
Great product to help solve market gap, but the leadership team is very poor. Leadership team lacks experience, upper management has very poor decision making skill and constantly make changes that aren't always necessary and they are very panicky.
Pros
decent culture
Cons
upper management are very inconsistent
Lots of job flexibility! You work from home and set your schedule.
Coding Bootcamp Tutor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 2, 2018
As a Trilogy tutor you can choose how many hours you work, and, to an extent, which hours you work (you do have to work around class schedules and time zones). The work is remote, so no commute. You have to be good at encouraging and communicating, besides being technically competent. The best part of the job is that Trilogy provides the students and works to match them to your list of skills. Trilogy is protective of the students and their experience, so as long as you also watch out for your students it's an all-around good experience.
What are you waiting for, join us!
Student Success Manager (Current Employee) –  RemoteApril 17, 2018
Trilogy Education Services is a great company to be a part of from the top to the bottom. Great company culture built from from the inside out. We're hiring!
Ethical and Positive work environment
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 4, 2018
Trilogy is an education tech company that is in high growth mode but is doing so in a responsible and ethical manner. The business model ties profits to positive outcomes for students and this drives the organization. They actually live the philosophy of what can we do to make today better for staff and students than yesterday. Executives own up to mistakes and go out of their way to make themselves available and accessible to every member of the organization.
TA Position is rewarding and fun
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 2, 2018
I was a TA for a coding boot camp, and watching my students grow into serious developers was one of the most gratifying experiences of my life. The job is easy to do, and fun. I love coming into work every day.
Summary
Profile Coach (Former Employee) –  RemoteMarch 30, 2018
Great job, company culture, employees. Highly recommend! The company values it customers and really strives to make a difference in the lives of its students and employees.
Hindsight is 2020
Career Services (Current Employee) –  TexasMarch 1, 2018
Great culture
CONSISTENTLY work about 55 hours
No work/life balance
Constantly changing processes, programs are not piloted - which results in more change, creating confusion and more training, when programs don't go according to expectations
Management unaware of employee workloads