Trion Worlds Employee Reviews

Company feels like it's dying
Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 28, 2018
Used to be a great place to work. Not doing well currently. This is a place where each month feels like it's getting worse. Management is cutting more and more perks, people are being forced to cover more and more jobs. Fewer positions are backfilled (the sister office of Austin doesn't even have an HR person anymore), the CS department is being phased out for outsourcers. Doesn't feel like there's anything new on the horizon to pull itself out of this slump. Recent results have just been trying to squeeze blood from a stone with minor expansions to existing games. Department seem to refuse to coordinate as a rule and there's a distinct distaste for analytics or introspection.
Pros
Casual culture
Cons
Management, no rewards to long tenure, long hours
Poor pay, not enough training, unhelpful managers, and anti-social elitist coworkers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 5, 2017
Going into work was great for the first couple of days, tons to learn, one-on-one training, and you work for a video game company! Except the training is not in depth enough and the amount of work and responsibility thrown onto you does not justify the pay.

It was the hardest job I had ever done and most of it was due to the lack of internal information and help from the managers. After the first week of basic training, you were expected to learn fast and on your own. Sure you were welcome to ask questions, but when there are other new hires, problems/questions from the regulars, supervisors who have too much on their plate for only 1 or 2 people, and thrown into a cubicle with anti-social people who talk down -you get left behind and just sit there.

The middle and upper management are equally as unhelpful as they deal with constant major issues that make your own completely insignificant. All because their games are built horribly and have constant fundamental problems that cause them to break.

For all the issues you are expected to deal with, and the poor hiring choices management made, 12.50 isn't enough. Not when you can get a job at In'n'Out and make the same money.

Yes its a video game company, but they don't care about their workers and no one should have any desire to work for Trion.
Pros
Can play video games on break or lunch.
Cons
Poor workplace culture, useless managers, too much responsibility, not enough training
Worked from early alpha to ship on Defiance
Senior Environment Artist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 10, 2017
I met some of the best people I've ever worked with in the industry while at Trion, but it was a grind. I was there from early alpha to ship on Defiance. It was different from other studios I'd worked with. It was closed not long after the release of Defiance, but the people I worked with there moved on to bigger and better things. One I got a job at WB Games as a lighting artist.
Pros
Free dinners during crunch time, which was pretty much perpetual. It was pretty close to the beach, if we had enough time to go.
Cons
I was in constant crunch time the entire time, Learned a lot in a short span of time, but it didn't leave much time to enjoy San Diego as much as I'd have liked, Caught up with that later.
Fun place to work
Customer Service Project Manager/CRM (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 17, 2017
They showed a trust with the employees. Good people to work with. Good training process. Really showed customer service. Treated employees well with different meals/snacks.
Got out asap
Game Master (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 23, 2017
Very "bro" culture--hard to connect to people. Quality and eagerness to excel aren't acknowledged or rewarded. It's more about who you're buddy-buddy with.
Pros
it pays
Cons
lack of recognition, unrealistic expectations, rewards doing the minimum so long as it's fast.
Very fast pace
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CANovember 29, 2016
Very fast pace. Lots of transition and changers with employees and management is poor. The hardest part of the job is dealing with management not open to listen and/or help
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor management
You'll never get anywhere.
Art (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAOctober 26, 2016
Too many cooks in the kitchen. Everyone and I mean every department wants to chime in on everything. No sense of direction and some people are not qualified to be in the position they are in. Lots of favoritism but I guess that's everywhere. One thing I did notice is that job advancement is very rare to none. If you're going to be a lifer, make sure you love the product and keep up with the competitors otherwise you'll be stagnant in your approach to Marketing, Sales, and Creatives like a lot of people there whose ideas and executions are as old as fossils. Its sad but the games are lackluster, relying solely on the whales to keep them afloat. Another thing I notice is that so many people call in sick or late (excessive excuses) and not get reprimanded, something that I was not use to seeing in my previous jobs. The whole time I was there, I just felt this bad energy hanging over the entire office, like the company will never excel. One thing that got me through the day was laughing it up with my coworkers.
Pros
Free snack 24/7, 5-6 core hours, dog friendly, calling sick/late
Cons
No direction, no leadership, lack competitive outlook, felt deprive knowing I will not advance, felt the company will never be on par with other competitors
Worked remotely
Concept artist, Icon artist (Former Employee) –  RemoteOctober 10, 2016
Company was great and i liked the compensations for work i have done. Cant say much, i have highly appreciated working there. I loved to work for this company
Was alright until they laid me off
Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 5, 2016
Haven't been there in a while so I don't know what it's like now. My last memory of this company was a surprise lay off which was not enjoyable.
Amazing Opportunity
Quality Assurance Assistant Engineer/Lead (Former Employee) –  Austin, TexasFebruary 8, 2016
Trion hired a small in-house quality assurance team and spent a lot of time training them to make them good. Then they promoted from within and sent a lot of those people to positions in content design, operations, community management, production, and so on.

Most of the time Q.A. is largely a dead-end job, but in this case it really made a number of careers in AAA studios.
Pros
Good Pay, Good Training, Good Career Advancement
Trion Worlds
Sr. Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CAJanuary 20, 2016
I really enjoyed working for Trion.

I worked from home which was strange for me and stayed that way.

Everyone was GREAT to work with.
Pros
Kind people to work with.
Cons
Need new games.
Amazing place that gives an opportunity to entry level customer service employees.
Tier 1 Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 30, 2015
'Come as you are' and work with the most professional leaders in the gaming industry was the motto that I took from joining their amazing teams. It was a short entry class (Only 1 week) to learn the general process of the product we were assisting with. Hardest part of the job was learning new software we were using, while keeping incoming tickets filed properly and accurately! It was unfortunate to give away a Black Pearl ship to an undeserving customer, but it was what lead to a change to one of the policies that made customer service more productive! Loved this company with all my heart.
Pros
Free Breakfasts/Lunches/Dinners depending on your shift
Cons
Constantly need to perform at your best! The only con, if it is a con, I could think of.
I enjoyed 98 percent of my time with Trion Worlds.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 2, 2015
Everything I dealt with within the Trion Worlds company was under NDA however what I can say is though my work was stressful it was satisfying and I enjoyed it.
Pros
Amazing management and HR
Cons
Sometimes stressful work environment with a focus on production over quality
Overworked, underpaid
Game Master (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 19, 2015
Trion is promising as a company. But as with mos gaming companies, job security should not be expected. You can expect a massive workload. You won't be paid what you're worth, but the coworkers are great.
Pros
Great coworkers, fun office
Cons
too much work, poor managment
Productive, challenging and surprisingly stable
Sr. QA Lead (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 10, 2014
I loved almost every minute of my crunch-laden, race for the finish line five years at Trion. I started at the bottom, ascended quickly, was mentored along the way by a great boss, had every opportunity to succeed, was never hamstrung by anyone internally or backstabbed. I loved it and would recommend the company to anyone who is looking for a well-managed opportunity.
Amazing people and atmosphere
QA Tester (Former Employee) –  San DiegoJanuary 29, 2014
I loved working with Trion it was the best job I had ever had. I learned so much about the industry and even had a chance to go to E3!
Great place to work!
Technical Support and Billing Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 9, 2014
Arrive early to take advantage of the free food and beverages provided. You could really tell that the management cared about the products. Co-workers are all friendly people who worked their best even over long hours. I really enjoyed the whole experience, great work environment, and great people.
Pros
A lot of hours, free food.
Cons
Began as a start-up (employee #25) and grew to almost 600 people. Great, casual work environment.
Executive Assistant to Founder/CEO (Former Employee) –  Redwood CitySeptember 20, 2013
Worked directly for the Founder/CEO of Trion. Co-workers were great to work with. Very talented group of individuals. It was a job that I always looked forward to going to everyday. Normal challenges, but given my experience and knowledge...there were no challenges that I was not able to meet and exceed expectations.
Pros
Great benefits (medical, dental, 401K, on-site gym, etc). Flexibility of time a big plus.
Poorly run company
Director, Project Management (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 5, 2013
No strategy or plan poor execution and poor products. Simply put an immature business that is failing fast.
Productive office environment
Experienced Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TexasAugust 30, 2013
Each day consisted of me logging into the Skype channel set up for my team of agents and greeting them with a friendly tone. From there I would review the queues and what work needed to be done, and hand out assignments to the agents I felt were best suited for the needs of the company.
Trion Worlds taught me a lot about managing a team and assessing my teams skill sets. I learned to identify key markers on my agents, such as how much stress a project is putting an agent under, how much time it takes them to complete, and the agents attitude toward their assignment.
The Management and the co-workers I was privileged enough to come into contact with during my employment there always seemed to be about helping one another rather than self advancement. Clear communication was met from the lowest tier of support all the way up to the department managers. Everyone had a voice.
The hardest part about the job was the lack of job security. I went into the job knowing that the video game industry is very volatile and that Trion, being a particularly new company, would have it's set backs. I am confident they kept me employed for as long as they could.
The most enjoyable part of the job were my coworkers. Everyday they were happy to see me and I was happy to see them. Upon learning that I had been laid off one of my co-workers described it as "the office just got darker without you here." This shows the types of relationships that developed during my brief 2 years there.
Pros
Health Insurance, Free soda/snacks, casual environment
Cons
Job security, California based Health Insurance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Trion Worlds. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

1.8Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight