Troon Golf Employee Reviews

Fun Workplace
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 16, 2019
Troon golf is an amazing company that is flexible with hours and makes the workplace enjoyable. There was always something new everyday. There were some days were you could meet celebrity athletes.
Pros
Made lunches by chef
Cons
A lot of standing
Nightmare
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Florence, AZJanuary 19, 2019
Everyday was either the head chef in your face yelling at the top of their lungs about how something was done wrong, or customers screaming at servers and cooks for how such a horrible job they think we did. I left there because I was unhappy and would never reccomend anybody I like to work there.
Pros
Free food (sometimes), funny peers
Cons
Cutthroat, stressful, angry customers, dangerous environment.
think they are the best
Director of Sales (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 4, 2018
working for Troon was not the hardest job, but the feeling that you'd be replaced at the drop of a golf ball made it hard. As only a management company, they really suck up to the owners and really only care about their contract with them. Employees can be replaced.
Pros
Golf on off peak times
Cons
hardly ever any off peak times
Dont pay
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Millsboro, DENovember 20, 2018
They need to pay more and not ride us so much have the work load spread out more even and get the help need with it be mB power or just tools needed and the rite tools
Pros
Free lunch
Would not work there again
Worker (Former Employee) –  Bluffton, SCNovember 16, 2018
Over worked, members are very mean!!! Everyone has an opinion. All they do is complain about the littlest things. And its a non tipping club. If you get caught taking tips you loss your job.
Pros
Golfing Privileges
Cons
Long hours and 1 day off a week
No love for low rung employees
Golf Course Maintenance/ Spray Technician (Former Employee) –  Braselton, GAOctober 28, 2018
They like to throw money at any and all things except their employees. We were promised raises 9 months ago but we cant even get a review let alone a raise. Meanwhile they put millions into the clubhouse and I'm sure the new boss gets quite a hefty salary, bennies and bonuses
Lessons from a Job
Merchandise Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 21, 2018
I love working with the public...I am very organized and have learned to have a positive attitude. I've learned that integrity is a very important role in being successful and that loyalty and hard work brings self respect and self-joy.
Pros
Working with public, learning
I worked two jobs why i was working with Troon and full time College, but it was a good place to work.
FOOD AND BEVERAGE DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Leawood, KSOctober 13, 2018
I got paid decent, i worked only 20 to 30 hours a week there. Great golf course and facility. I was promised to get promoted and didn't. I had to cut back on my hours because was getting into some of the tougher classes in school. I was an assistant manager at another golf course before I started at Troon. The only reason I switched was my manager at Royal Meadows relocated out there and wanted me to come out with him.
Pros
Cheap Golf
Cons
Not a fun atmosphere to work at
Growing too fast?
Club General Manager (Former Employee) –  USASeptember 17, 2018
Perhaps have grown too fast and left the wrong people in key positions longer than beneficial because of the fast growth. Keeping up with activity while losing track of the key factors that made the smaller company successful. Following the path established and well-trodden by American Golf then ClubCorp.
Pros
a perception that one would keep her/his job if done well.
Cons
Finding out that the company did not adher to that perception., Camaderie lost., Mentorship of early years disappeared.
Lies
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Rhode IslandJuly 28, 2018
The company brings on managers promising them long term employment, works them to the bone during the busy season, then all of a sudden a salaried annual position become seasonal, they then secretly shop for a cheaper replacement under another company name while stringing you along with promises of a bonus upon you return. Troon is a garbage company that preys on dying clubs in a dying industry just to squeeze the last few cents out and move on with promises of fixing it all.
Pros
Nice golf dept
Cons
You pay your own health care, little industry knowlage, no upper management in food service
Good if you want experience
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Leawood, KSJuly 20, 2018
Management is lax. Just get your work done and before the morning golfers catch up to you. The hardest part about the job was cutting the greens with push mowers.
Pros
Relaxed management
Cons
None really
Boys Club
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Rio Verde, AZJuly 14, 2018
Management stresses communication and hospitality skills and does not follow through on their end. F&B manager very unprofessional and inappropriate. Younger less experienced staff is praised and older employees with more experience and better work ethics are treated poorly. The workload is somewhat unrealistic at times. Our club is owned by the members and managed by Troon and I don't believe that the members would approve of how some are treated.
The Boys Club mentality is ever present in all facets of the team.
I will say since Troon has been our management company, we do have a little more structure, but only a few are held accountable and there is definitely favoritism in scheduling and employee of the month appointments. Your overall performance never plays into the decision of the employee of the month. Being on time and ready for work and never calling in sick have no merit with this organization, so don't bother.
I have always loved my job at this club because of the membership, I have been there 9 years, but with Troon I have considered leaving the place I love.
I will also interject that each Troon facility is unique. They are not all run the same. Ours happens to be a private club, owned by the members with things in place that have not changed with Troon being our management company. As servers and bartenders, we are paid a decent wage, higher than the Arizona minimum for those positions and are tipped with an automatic 20% on each members chit, that is split on a daily basis depending on the hours you work that day. It all is taxed and paid out every 2
  more... weeks in your paycheck. I will say since Troon, I do average a better wage than in years past.
Keep in mind each facility as I said, is different and unique. Some clubs are totally managed by Troon and others only have Troon manage the golf aspect and have nothing to do with the food and beverage end.
In conclusion, on the whole I like my job.
Pros
free meal each shift, full time get benefits
Cons
little or no breaks for some, long breaks for others, required to do the job of 2 people for the pay of 1
Overall horrible!
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJune 13, 2018
Working for Troon Golf in Saint James was awful. Poor upper management, lack of communication as well as organization. High turn over rate with staff causing a constant flow of new clueless employees that were not provided proper training.
Pay is great as a Server if you’re willing to be treated like an incompetent child. Wouldn’t recommended for anyone who does not have open availability and is not willing to be a brown noser!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Kitchen staff
Cook/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Southport, NCJune 1, 2018
working for 40+ a week as a food prep,dishwasher and expo netted below the living wages of most places. The management has a high turn around rate, usually leading to inexperienced individuals in charge causing drama.
Pronghorn was fabulous
Greenskeeper II (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORMay 15, 2018
Wish I could have afforded rent in Bend. I wanted to come back and my supervisors wished I could stay. Both courses are amazing: scenic, challenging, diverse. The culture and staff knew how to treat people right, internally and externally. Great experience!
Pros
Darn near everything
Cons
nothing really
Exemplary Organization to be involved with
Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Kapalua, HIApril 27, 2018
The culture at Troon is one of inclusivity and professionalism. Troon golf brings a level of integrity and respect to the workplace like I haven’t felt before in the industry. It’s nice to work for a company that backs you up for your spirit and passion for golf.
Low pay, long hours, too much to do
Houseperson (Former Employee) –  Millsboro, DEApril 13, 2018
We are given too much responsibility with too little pay. Working long hours in a hot and crowded environment. Expected to pick up the slack for other shifts that didn't feel like doing their jobs that day. Asking for vacation or time off is like pulling teeth.
Pros
Cons
pay, hours
Poor management
Server (Former Employee) –  Entrada, St. George, UtahApril 6, 2018
Management was overzealous in their pursuit in punishing associates for minor mistakes through write-ups. If you made a mistake they never let you forget it; I was constantly reminded that I did this or that that one time.... There was extreme favoritism; the rules didn’t apply to the “favorites” who did as they pleased without consequence. Since I wasn’t a favorite, I was written up for frivolous mistakes such as being 1 minute late or complaining about the unfairness of how things were until I was fired for giving away a table, which is absolutely ridiculous. Management would nitpick staff and made working there a negative and hostile experience. The current managers are toxic, and I would never recommend working there unless they leave. It’s a shame because it is a nice club and would otherwise be a good place to work.
Pros
401k, good competitive pay
Cons
Unreasonably strict, Natzi-like managers
great job for me
golf starter (Current Employee) –  Maui County, HIMarch 31, 2018
I love working with people and enjoy the job at Kapalua. The job keeps me busy and I also caddy for people to both keep busy and supplement my income. Troon is an excellent company and the 401K is great. Management is fair and balanced.
nope
Food & Beverage Director (Current Employee) –  NopeMarch 16, 2018
What a great company to work for. If you are willing to relocate you can stay with troon. With over three hundred courses there is plenty of places to choose from all over the country