Tropical Smoothie Cafe Employee Reviews

Found 1,174 reviews matching the search See all 1,180 reviews
fun workplace and productive
Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAMarch 25, 2019
I love working at Tropical Smoothie it's a good environment. I learn how to make healthy smoothies healthy food. Working at Tropical Smoothie was one of the best jobs I had. I was a key holder to the store open and closed. The most enjoyable part of my job was talking to customers and seeing them enjoy the smoothie.
Pros
50% off, good environment, good coworker
Cons
No benefits
productive and fast paced work environment
Catering Manager (Current Employee) –  Joplin, MOMarch 25, 2019
Customers were always my favorite part of working here. Very fast paced environment but patient with training.
----------------------------------------------

Pros
free lunches and smoothies
Cons
some poor management decisions
A Balanced Mind
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 25, 2019
This was my first job working with food and it turns out I love it. The constant and new combinations of orders that I had to make trained my mind to adapt and be patient.
Pros
Good for the brain.
Cons
Poor Management
bad job
Crew member (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 24, 2019
It was worst than working at McDonalds, pay is horrible for how fast paced it is and was never able to learn the food so I could get a higher pay. I do not recommend at all
It was a fast food gig
Team member (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 24, 2019
It was pretty average for a part time fast food gig. I didnt want to stay there as i had more to offer but it helped me afford to do things while i was young
Poor management
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIMarch 24, 2019
The manager is racist n have favorites the general manager the store owner n her husband is so nice all the employees was great to work with it was just manager he messed up the whole experience
Pros
Customers, co workers
Cons
General manager
Needs to raise minimum wage!
Cashier/Smoothie Maker (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMarch 21, 2019
I honestly had a lot of fun working at Tropical Smoothie Cafe, I learned a lot of different smoothie recipes, the cash register was very easy to use, my manager was awesome and very helpful. The staff was very kind to me but the pay for the work that we have to do just isn't worth it. Starting pay is 7.25 and in my opinion that is not enough to afford the cost of living these days.
Friendly Environment
Shift lead (Former Employee) –  Front Royal, VAMarch 20, 2019
Tropical Smoothie is a good job for those in high school! A typical day at work involves making smoothies and food for the customers in a timely manner. I learned how to manage my time wisely and effectively communicate with customers about their needs, especially if there was a particular food allergy. The hardest part of the job was not getting too backed up on a busy summer weekend. I think that this job allowed me to learn to quicken my pace, and it was a great first job that taught me a lot.
fun
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLMarch 20, 2019
often the employees are great and the customers aren't so bad but at the location I worked the gm was horrible and I would never work for her again however the company wasn't that bad and the job was pretty cool and relaxed for the most part
Pros
half off food and drinks
Cons
n/a
Hard work, some play
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMarch 18, 2019
This job taught me that some people can be just plain cruel, and others can be unbelievably kind. Don't come to work here if you are not prepared for long hours of constant work. Prepping food while taking shipments and dealing with customers is a juggling act that I was unprepared to perform. But my god, I have learned to multi-task and grin-and-bear-it like no other. When coworkers are good, they're great, and the camaraderie makes all the hardest times feel less so. When they're not, it's a burden, but you find ways to work around them. But all things considered, putting smiles on customers' faces makes everything a little bit worth it.
Pros
Discounted smoothies and food, making customers happy
Cons
No breaks, long shifts, high pressure
Do not recommend
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Allen Park, MIMarch 18, 2019
Tropical smoothie cafe hires too many people at once, I’ve been hired since January 23rd and I’ve only worked 3 times. This is the 3rd week I have not been scheduled.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
Not enough hours
poor
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDMarch 18, 2019
poor management, constantly understaffed. would get extremely busy over the summer and management would not have the proper scheduling to handle the crowds. there has been new management since i left so it may be better now
Fun starting job
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  AlabamaMarch 17, 2019
It's a good place to start a job while in school or just out of school. Expect a few hours a week and minimum wage. With very little chance of over time.
Overall, Tropical Smoothie Cafe was a stressful and unfair working environment.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Maumee, OHMarch 17, 2019
After working at Tropical Smoothie for well over a year, I had learned how to do almost everything within the restaurant. I was doing almost everything under the “manager” job title, but wasn’t receiving the same pay as a manager. Newer people were being hired in, and had been promoted to manager before I was officially given the raise and the title. I was perfectly capable of doing this position, because I worked almost everyday for over a year. I learned the in and outs of this job and was kind of taken advantage of in this way. Other employees have referred to working at Tropical Smoothie of them “taking advantage of younger people”. So many young girls were employed in this highly stressful, fast paced job. For the amount of work we were doing in the amount of time, was.. to say the least, ridiculous. Don’t even consider calling off sick if you’re employed here. I had strep throat once and still had to come into work, because no one would take my shift. You had to have a doctors note to call off, or find someone to take your shift. Finding someone to take your scheduled shift was virtually impossible, because you had to offer people around $20 for them to be interested in taking it. Even then, people still weren’t willing to take the shift. At one point I had to pay someone $30 because I was too sick to come into my shift. On another note, most jobs have benefits such as free food during a shift or small things like this. At Tropical Smoothie during your shift you would get 50% off any items, unless you were a manager. When not working, you would receive 20% off. Which isn’t  more... much when a smoothie alone costs $6-7. Better than nothing I suppose.  less
Pros
Fun Coworkers
Cons
Stressful, Overwhelming, Unfair, Bad Management
Healthy work environment
Crew Member/Cashier/Cook (Current Employee) –  Smithtown, NYMarch 15, 2019
Work environment is very healthy. FLexible hours. Great boss. I've learned how to work with customers and make food/smoothies. All employees are great and I feel that we have become a family
Pros
Free employee meal
Amazing company, amazing owners, good products!
Smoothie Maker (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 15, 2019
Tropical smoothie is an awesome company, the main idea for the franchise is Eat/Drink better, feel better! You are what you eat. Clean and fresh is the first thought that comes to mind!
Pros
Healthy, Quick, Friendly, Clean
Cons
Price
Fun workplace
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIMarch 14, 2019
I believe it was a genuine place to work at because I was able to meet to people and interact with customers. I also Enjoy making different varieties of smoothies and cooking and it is self pace working.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
N/a
Fast-paced and Stressful
Crew Memeber (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MI 48034March 13, 2019
a typical day at tropical smoothie would be a fast steady paced environment often times we would only get 3 people on a shift so most likely we were short staffed and no matter what management never helped or got involved the hardest part of this job is being able to move fast and still make sure you had all the correct ingredients in your smoothie.
Pros
Discounted smoothies
Cons
Short breaks very little Pay
interesting place to work
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 11, 2019
There was never a dull moment. You will always have something to do while on the clock, rather it be cleaning or doing prep. The area of the job makes it interesting, the customers are very funny.
Pros
discounts on food
Cons
short brakes
Okay Place to Work
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCMarch 11, 2019
A good summer job but nothing more than that. Management was good, pay was decent. However coworkers could prove insufferable. Kept someone there who constantly fueled with others and the customers found rude.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tropical Smoothie Cafe. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight