True Value Employee Reviews

Would not recommend to work here
merchandise handler (Former Employee) –  Corsicana, TXApril 22, 2019
Good people to work with but the people who run it are horrible and have their favorites sure they start you with good pay but they want you to go above and beyond to earn it
Pros
Good people
Cons
Mangers, supervisors
Big Brother
Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Torrington, CTApril 19, 2019
The owner of the Torrington True Value is almost ever there, he is always in florida at his vacation home, but that doesn't mean he doesn't watch what you are doing. the cameras in the store aren't there to monitor theft but to watch what his employees are doing. all day long.
on top of that he has a bizarre sexist policy where only women are aloud to run the registers and only men are allowed to work the floor.
temp
Clerk (Former Employee) –  West, TXApril 17, 2019
I worked as a temp for a hardware store during the holidays for only one or two hours a week for a short time. Management was fair but spent little time with me.
Fun
Shipping and Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Taylor, TXApril 16, 2019
This was a company in my home town that was around when I was little. Family owned and operated. Great atmosphere and loved working with people of all ages
starting a brand new store was not fun
Temp Computer/Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Kettle Falls, WAApril 16, 2019
setting up a new store was rather frustrating

every box had a disarray of items and

very hard on the back

had to work from 6am - 7pm 7 days a week
Pros
near home
Cons
compensation was terrible to the very long hours
Great Place to Work
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Woodland, CAApril 16, 2019
Worked at True Value for over 10 years and was promoted to Team Leader, but the commute was too long so I searched for a job in Sacramento as oppose to Woodland, CA.
Okay work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Castro Valley, CAApril 16, 2019
Just a part time job for me, which was fine, at the time. There was no hope for any kind of advancement. True Value hardware was a small local hardware store, which was owned by a father and son. For me, it was just a job that kept me busy, and I enjoyed my co workers, and the job.
Pros
Close to home.
Cons
Very hard to take a break, even for lunch.
the atmosphere
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  Twin Falls, IDApril 15, 2019
a typical work day , you come in and there are customers looking for what they need , you will help them find their stuff and sometimes talk to them about their projects, there is maintaining the store and making sure the customers are taken care of.There are plenty of things that make this job a learning experience , from cleaning products to hardware , there is plenty of plumbing stuff to learn about and there is even the paint and the gardening, you will definitely leave here with more hardware experience.The management was for the most part on the same page and willing to communicate with anyone who needed to talk.the workplace culture was pretty nice , the store reminds you of a small town shop, you come into work and you can get your work done without someone always criticizing you, if there is something that you need to improve on you either have to ask for help or they will tell you , it depends really on the situation.the hardest part of the job was the lack of training , so when you come into the job there is a ton to learn even if you are familiar with hardware, there is paint and gardening and a bunch of other things to learn. the most enjoyable part of the job , its laid back and not stressful to an unmanageable point.
Pros
the customers, the freedom, you can do your work without constant judgment
Cons
lack of training, not a lot of hours, and no benefits
Forklift Operator/Driver (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXApril 14, 2019
True Value is a great place to work, everyone there was laid back, took time to plan out the day. That made it very easy to know what you were up against that day. I really enjoyed working there, it just wasnt a career path I wanted to pursue
Pros
You knew what you were going to do and how to do it
Cons
Weather didn't get in the way. No matter what the j9b needed to be done
a nice place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRApril 7, 2019
nice place to learn about basic plumbing and hardware related things
but with poor options of growing inside the company.but was a nice experience working there
Pros
nice place to learn
Cons
poor options to grow inside the company
Good first job
Cahsier (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAMarch 29, 2019
I very much enjoyed working here, it’s a good starter job, not a very good job to have for the next twenty years, it would be very hard to be promoted any further than the position I currently hold. Working here you learn a lot from other workers who are often times working part time while doing side jobs (home repairs).
Pros
Everyone is friendly and informative
Cons
Hard to make a living off of the positions available
Great job , you learn daily
Gen manager , owner (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILMarch 25, 2019
Day by day you learn more about thousands of different items, all hardware stores have special deals for their customers. Being open seven days a week brings in all different customers. The retail stores work as a team for sales help and checkout positions. Keeping your stores clean neat and organized helps customers find what they are looking for.
Pros
Good insurance
Cons
great place for someone to learn skills they normally would never learn in an adverage work place.
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Reedsburg, WIMarch 22, 2019
A typical day was very predictable but the animals would always cause something exciting with my day. The management was very organized and Debbie was amazing. My favorite part was coming in and feeding all the animals.
Pros
amazing work enviroment
Cons
terrible wages for the amount of work you put in.
it was a job in high school.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Junction City, KSMarch 22, 2019
As a high school student when i worked there it was a very easy job and not a lot of things to learn that were hard to understand. Strong customer service skills are needed and the ability to count money back is always a great thing to know.
Pros
discounts on lumber and tools
Cons
had to work multiple jobs on a surprise type basis
Interesting place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Buena Vista, COMarch 19, 2019
Memorizing where everything in the store is key to being successful at first, with mastering the cash register computer coming in at a close second. Customers in this store are some of the best people to meet. I learn something new at this store every day.
Pros
Hour long lunch
Cons
10.5 hour days
Fun place to learn and work, poor management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 15, 2019
I loved learning home improvement and social skills while working there, and the customer base was overall kind and friendly. Excellent hourly wages, started at $12 an hour and went up to $13 after 6 months. However, even though I worked full time, paying rent to live in the area stretched my budget thin. Health benefits were decent, though I get better coverage from OHP. Coworkers were knowledgeable and very helpful, but shortstaffing raised stress levels. Management wouldn’t hire anyone new, and the owner refused to retire despite medical issues that interfered with work. Busy season vs off season would create a large fluctuation of activity - going from nonstop work in the summer, to hours without seeing a customer in the winter. Cashiers are forced to stand all day, and constant activity with short breaks made me incredibly fatigued when I went home, so I had zero energy for anything else. Overall stress levels and concern for physical health are what lead me to quit this job after a year and a half, though I would recommend it as an excellent starting job for anyone fresh out of high school or college. They are always accepting resumes, just talk to the front cashier!
Pros
Good benefits, higher than average hourly pay, smart coworkers
Cons
Short breaks, physically demanding, fast-paced
Busy, but fun
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, MOMarch 15, 2019
A typical day includes answering the phone, cleaning, cashing out customers and inventory. The management at my particular True Value was lackluster. I learned how to deal with customers with the upmost respect, how to do inventory, and how to deal with exchanges and returns. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the public, the worst was dealing with the management, as they didn't want to do anything, and left everything to me.
Subpar
Merchandise Handler/New Employee Trainer (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PAMarch 9, 2019
Use of physical tasks is high in the job. The warehouse is given very little time to clean, and the rate at which we are to work can be unreasonable. My time there has shown me that there is a lack of cooperation between the management itself and the management and union. The reason most people stay is that it is one of the highest paying warehouses in the area.
Pros
Higher pay
Cons
Dirty, physically stressful, merntally stressful, management is poor
Mediocre
UNIX Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 8, 2019
As a contractor, we were not involved in the day to day operations of Truevalue and this observation is as an outsider. However, it was noticed that the IT department lacked professionalism.

Instead of a collaborative approach, the customer-vendor relationship was often competing and conflicting, which lead to project delays.
Great Internship
IT Intern, Infrastructure department (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 4, 2019
True Value is a great place to intern at! I learned a lot and gained a ton of experience across different departments. Good pay and a fun place to do an internship at.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at True Value. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight