True Value Employee Reviews

hard job
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORJuly 16, 2018
This job was dirty, hard work, lots of overtime which was not my favorite thing as i had a young child but meant I was making extra money to support my family.
Pros
lots of employee benefits and parties
Cons
overtime
Good job
asst. manager (Former Employee) –  Junction City, KSJuly 13, 2018
I was salary so I worked alot, I learned about the entire poerations of hardware store and how to fix about anything, Sometimes we came in at 4 am to unload semi-trucks ( that would have been the worst part ), the customers were the highlight of the day..
Pros
loved the job
Cons
Cut backs on management
I got burnt out
General Manager (GM) (Former Employee) –  Orinda, CAJuly 11, 2018
It was great in the beginning but I was clearly not cut out for what the store really was. It was tough trying to pull out the store from where it was and then maintain that same level. Turn over was a hardship because nobody wants to work at a hardware store
Fun, fufilling workplace that promotes teamwork
Recieving (Current Employee) –  Corsicana, TXJuly 10, 2018
True value is a very fun place with friendly people that help each other. We work hard but still have some fun and get competitive with it. The managers are friendly and helpful and listen when you need them too.
Pros
Easy production standard
compensation not competitive anymore
Forklift Operator/ Inventory specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ORJuly 7, 2018
compensation gone down hill, insurance cost more and more, long term service not recommended. management is all young with big ideas on the computer, that does not show on the floor. the amount of stress is way over the top, hard to stay focused on tasks at hand.
Pros
casual wear to work in
Cons
never know how long you will work for the day
My store is awesome!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Pine Bush, NYJuly 4, 2018
One of the few places I've worked where the customers are as quality as the team members. I thoroughly enjoyed working in a store that offers the ability to Truly make an impact on sales and customer service.
Pros
Management and Customers
Cons
Salary
Great job, you learn alot about the parts n tools you need to do any job
Cashier/Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Redway, CAJuly 3, 2018
Great first job it teaches you a lot about the tools n all the parts and nuts n bolts your gonna need for any job. The reward true value i feel was much more productive and fulfilling than the Scotia true value
Waters Summary
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJuly 1, 2018
A typical day at work is pretty much like you would expect. While working with company needs as well as truck leasing, things can be a little stressful.
Pros
Fair management, flexible hours
Cons
Low salary, little room for advancement for cashiers.
good company
Cahier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  IdahoJune 26, 2018
a typical day at work was relaxing it wasn't like working the people made it so amazing and just overall the place you want to work, i learned a lot about hard ware and how to fix problems a different way management was absolutely amazing
Pros
amazing work environment
Cons
there are non
It’s okay
Employee (Current Employee) –  Swedesboro, NJJune 24, 2018
Good place to work. Just you don’t get the respect you deserve from others. You might work harder than others at the store and they will still get paid more then you
Pros
45 min lunch break
Cons
Lots of things
Awful Place.
Cashier/ Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJune 22, 2018
There is little to no chances for job advancement, you might get a pay raise once a year. There is such a lack of employees that the people that do stick around are forced to work every single day just to insure they get at least 35 hours a week. Unless you are a supervisor, you have no set schedule, and you are lucky to get a day off. The pay is not enough to live off of. The people can be fun to work with, when they are all in good moods. Most often times nobody is in a good mood though.
Pros
Cons
no breaks, long hours.
Good place
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Corsicana, TXJune 21, 2018
True value is a good place to learn how shipping and receiving really works every thing had to b scanned and stacked neatly on pallets wrapped at a wrapping machine and driven on 18 wheeler
A nice Family Owned Store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, WIJune 19, 2018
Very friendly staff, that worked together to problem solve for customers needs, had a devoted customer base of both professional and general consumers.
Company going in new and better direction
Expense Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 18, 2018
Company going in new and better direction. Lots of hours and work-life balance is not a priority there. Corporate culture with your typical politics. Benefits are decent.
Take the stress away would be a great place
Stocker (Current Employee) –  HarvardJune 5, 2018
To much favortism to some employees. People talk you with no respect, racist employees, and h.r. doesnt do anything about. After several steps up the ladder. Scoring system is off, so employees get penalize for it or even termination. What else. Just over all stressful.
Love of Outdoors Required
Crew Leader and IT guy (Former Employee) –  Forest, VAJune 4, 2018
I enjoyed the work. I like being outdoors, in the sun. And there was a lot of that. We travelled to sites throughout central Virginia and set up tents, and the like, for parties and weddings.

The work was hard, at times very hard, and I liked that aspect also. I had a small team that worked under me, and I always made it my job to give solid direction. The other team leader did not care as much as I did about his team, or their performance. That made communication difficult, at times.

The management there does not have much experience with growth conversations, or mid year reviews. So, self-improvement is a challenge when no coaching is provided.

The group gets along for the most part, so my work days were always filled with humorous banter. Nearly everyone there has been working there for ever, and that made the team feel like family.

The Store Owner cares deeply about the success of the business and is very generous each year around Christmastime. He also helped any way he could throughout the year if he discovered someone was struggling financially, or the like.
Pros
working in the sun, discounts/wholesale costs
Cons
poor leadership, poor guidance
Out of business
Stocker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Covington, INJune 4, 2018
This was one of my first real jobs. It was a very fun place to work. I was trained on numerous tasks that I use every day. Unfortunately they sold the place.
I enjoyed working at True Value, Excellent people to work for
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WIJune 1, 2018
The job was more so like a family and flexible with hours. Not so rushed and if there was a problem they came and talked to you about it and worked with you to help fix the issue. The only problem was it wasn't enough hours at the time
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
Not enough hours
Warehouse Receiver (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHMay 31, 2018
It is a challenging job that requires attention to detail and the ability to operate a forklift.

The management is open to suggestions and pleasant to deal with.
Pros
Steady work during spring/summer months
Cons
Reduced hours during fall/winter
Good work environment
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Windsor, VAMay 29, 2018
Loved the people I worked with. Everyone was super helpful and they were flexible with my hours in the summer because I had two jobs. Not very fast pace but that is one thing I really liked.
Pros
Flexible hours and the people
Cons
None that I can think of

Ask a question about working or interviewing at True Value. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight