True Value

Working at True Value in Chicago, IL: Employee Reviews

Chicago, IL68 reviews

Found 68 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,228 reviews

True Value is Family

What I love most about True Value Company is their inclusion and diversity initiatives as well as their sense of culture. True Value is definitely a place where you feel appreciated and a place where your ideas matter!

Stressful environment only cares about bottom line

True Value has a good mission (to help independent hardware retailers) but they are owned by Private Equity and all they care about is profit. They have restructured multiple times in the last few years and they keep laying people off. The new management team is a lot smarter than the former management team, but they are keen on being profitable at all costs (including the happiness of their teams). LOTS of turnover at True Value happening right now.

Pros

Pretty flexible working environment; people are generally good to work with

Cons

Teams are too small; they keep cutting benefits

True Value insights

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness

Private equity ruins another company

Started before private equity bought the co-op out in 2019. Company had loads of enthusiasm, bright hires, great efforts to imrpove culture and modernize. New management has been awful, the board continues to reduce benefits and comp, and there are no opportunities for growth. It's all but a zombie firm at this point; there is no way this once-great cooperative can compete as a hardware wholesaler with it's ancient tech, combative win-lose IT department, mismanagement and politics, and ever-growing turnover.

Pros

No layoffs during pandemic which isn't much considering the DIY boom

Cons

Incompetent micromanager CEO, no advancement, penny-wise and pound-foolish culture.

Maternity coverage/temporary employee

Absolutely zero collaboration with other departments. My experience there was to cover during another employee’s maternity leave, but the tone of the office was very uncomfortable. All of the employees seemed angry about something and the culture was very heads, down, keep quiet and do your required duties and your duties only. The lack of communication and attitudes of the employees definitely affected the quality of the work.

Pros

I can’t think of any

Cons

No communication

Great place to work, learn and grow

A phenomenal culture. Great management/executive team. Lean resources who are fast, aggressive, organize and extremely competent in affecting the delivery of services and products.

Disorganized and lacks management

Far too many meetings with no delivery of actionable tasks. No positive feedback or direction. Lack of leadership maturity both professional and personal.

Pros

Independent work supported

Cons

Leadership lacks maturity

Enjoyed the experience, could use improvement.

The MRO Sales Specialist position was challenging and rewarding. Since I was only one of three Nationally, it was geographically challenging with 50% overnight travel. Working with customers and prospects was the most enjoyable aspect. Because we were a very small department within a large company, we were often left alone to grow our segment, but also largely ignored when we requested corporate support.

Workplace with ping-pong table

Convenient to public transportation - few steps away from CTA station. CTA station is also connected to several CTA bus routes. Mostly runs in the morning and evening.

True Value

True Value is focused on driving innovation and revitalizing a market which has seen decline over the past Decade. Leadership is visionary and inspirational.

Pros

Opportunity to make a difference every day

Cons

Politics

Established culture

TVC is a company with amazing potential... however sometimes the "culture" (which in some cases is more than 60 years old) gets in the way of growth and relevant change.

Pros

potential

Cons

difficulty overcoming change

Good for a few years

The company is good if you want to settle in and not advance. Very little opportunity to learn and try new things especially for younger people. The pay is also sub par, but that seems to be industry wide.

Employee focused

True value is a great company with a collaborative culture. The company is focused on being a employer of choice in the Chicagoland market. True value is positioning itself for the future.

Mediocre

As a contractor, we were not involved in the day to day operations of Truevalue and this observation is as an outsider. However, it was noticed that the IT department lacked professionalism. Instead of a collaborative approach, the customer-vendor relationship was often competing and conflicting, which lead to project delays.

Great Internship

True Value is a great place to intern at! I learned a lot and gained a ton of experience across different departments. Good pay and a fun place to do an internship at.

Fun place to work

I loved all the employees there they were great I especially loved working with the store owners and the vendors I hated to part ways but it was a great place to work.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

short breaks

reports, research and documention

A very fast pace environment, included daily, weekly and monthly deadlines. Management worked alongside most employees to assure propoer training. True Value excelled in being a very diverse company.

Pros

The extended knowledge I received.

Cons

Very stoic and dry place to work

Very stoic and dry place to work. Too quiet, management not very personable. Not the best organized place and projects are not well planned. Not loyal to employees.

Pros

Nice professional environment and facility

Cons

Not the best culture.

Good workplace

Overall its a good place to work. Good work life balance, friendly people. I wish there there is a career growth. Communication between the teams is a bit challenging too.

Company going in new and better direction

Company going in new and better direction. Lots of hours and work-life balance is not a priority there. Corporate culture with your typical politics. Benefits are decent.

This place really lacked guidance and forward movement

I was super excited when i took the job, then it was all downhill from there. The CEO sent out an email blast firing 40+ people. The negative sentiment took over among everyone. I was threatened to be fired by my boss regularly when I was a top performer.

True Value is not just a name

True Value is a wonderful place to work. The people there are all compassionate not only about their work, a projects common goal and the company but also their co-workers and

Ask a question about working or interviewing at True Value. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.2
InHerSight Score
2.0Personal Development
2.8Career Opportunities
2.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight