TrueCar, Inc. Employee Reviews

Great company to work for
Senior Software Engineer, Frontend (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CADecember 19, 2018
TrueCar has a great culture, excellent work-life balance, and great benefits. I worked with a lot of people that I really respect and would be happy to work there again.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
The desk's are kinda so-so
Good company with growing pains
Senior Manager, Partner Development (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CADecember 5, 2018
TrueCar has a great model, and caring people, but has some growing pains and some management issues. Competitive pay and great benefits. Nice location, although traffic can be terrible.
Great Company going through lots of growing pains
TECHNICAL OPERATIONS SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 12, 2018
I love TrueCar and used to be so excited to go to work everyday. Now not so much.

The company is growing and changing rapidly, which is normal for a company this size and innovative. What isn't normal is the politics involved to get ahead.

TrueCar advancement and promotions used to be based on merit and effort. No it is about politics and who you know. Until that is addressed, they will start stagnating and losing good people

Unitl
Pros
Free Weekly Lunch
Life Changing
Vehicle Data Editor/ Analyst (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAOctober 10, 2018
Truecar is a great start for new industry insights and work experience, however, don't be surprised at how quick they let you go. There's a hidden agenda within the company that leads you blind.
Pros
Food, Location, and Benefits.
Cons
Turnover Rate, Lacks opportunity for advancement, and bullying.
Positive work environment
Call Center Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Bee CavesOctober 4, 2018
These were amazing people and the company provided amazing benefits.
Even though there were some structural changes with management the company stayed focused.
The call center was about job duties staying in point and highly structured and the sales and management had a little more freedom and was more relaxed.
Pros
Food, drinks, etc
Cons
Different styles for different departments
Needs better organization
Business Development Executive (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 27, 2018
The message from upper management doesn't match the behavior of mid-management. There was no work-life balance and the expectations became unreasonable as the pay decreased. Over the last year, the new business philosophies have resulted in high turnover and unengaged employees. The culture changed so dramatically it makes me wonder if the Exec Team truly knows what is being felt in the field.

The travel is awful and exhausting. You are expected to cover about 3000+ miles per month in dealer visits or live in hotels. It is not conducive to people with families and commitments.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
No work-life Balance
Nice Location
Corporate Counsel (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMay 7, 2018
Good perks; management is involved with employees and ensuring good communication. Overall, the company is growing and the offices are great. However, executives need to provide more training and educational opportunities to employees.
Attempt at a fun culture
Business Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 17, 2018
My department's manager changed frequently and as a result, the experience changed often as well. My first manager was by far the best but after that, things started going down hill. The new management did not give us the feeling that we were truly cared for.
Pros
Good working environment and an attempt at a fun culture
Cons
Too much politics in career advancement
Company was good to their employees
CSR Lead (Former Employee) –  Bee Cave, TXApril 14, 2018
Truecar was a great place to work. The company truly treated me well during my time there. The benefits were amazing.
The team that I worked were very supportive and I had learned a tremendous amount of info about how the company worked.
Pros
Free gatherings and lunches
Cons
The pay was not enough for my living expenses.
Siloed Company with Frequent Reboots
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJanuary 31, 2018
TrueCar is an agile-development focused company with a significant first-mover advantage in negotiated automotive lead solutions. The company compensates its employees quite well and prides itself on its "above normal" compensation package.

However, the company is fairly siloed, with promotions and significant responsibilities given primarily to long-term friends of the senior management. There is very little advancement, promotions, or raises for the majority of the technical staff with a significant amount of churn.

The culture can be very isolating at times with entire divisions taking the blame for mid- and upper-management decisions.

If you find yourself in a well-loved team, however, your TrueCar experience will be great. Many well-positioned employees remain at the company for 5-10 years or more. However, beware of the 2-3 year layoff cycles and wholesale reorganizations.

Want to know more about TrueCar, Inc.?

Ask a question
Awful job experience, work life balance non-existent, poor team collaboration
Sr. Partner Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAAugust 14, 2017
Extreme micromanagement, worked from 9am to often 3am after getting home from work, was not appreciated nor praised for any of my work, despite all my partners having great relationships and positive feedback for me consistently. Some sexist comments made to me. Constant scolding for what I perceived to be going above and beyond - but due to serious control issues on behalf of my manager, my actions in doing so were not recognized as positive. Lack of growth opportunity. Quick turnover due to poor culture. Provided free lunch once a week and had a nice office and a fully stocked kitchen for staff, but I would not recommend working here.
Bad Management
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMay 9, 2017
Overall, the work environment is good, but bad management. A lot of favoritism, lack of communication, and very stressful place to work. It has gotten to a point where I need to find a better suited environment and with better management.
Great Company
Client Success Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAApril 28, 2017
Good benefits and compensation. Fun role interacting with different clients everyday. Challenging part is being on the road all the time. Home office is supportive of field team.
Great pay and benefits, poor talent management
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAAugust 31, 2016
I've been with TrueCar over 3 years and their overall compensation and benefits are really good, but their not good at managing their talent, let alone their corporate strategy. It's been a lot of up and downs, which makes it difficult to find a groove here, but some may find it exciting as things are always changing. Don't expect much reward working here unless you're in 'the club'.
Pros
Free lunch once a week, great benefits, great pay, great location
Cons
Poor company culture and morale, poor work life balance, no stability, very 'boys club' environment
Fun
Java/J2EE Developer (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAAugust 24, 2016
Good to work and co-workers are friendly. no pressure for work. management very good at pay. i learned many things and some times typical at work.
Opportunity to learn the latest techs in the market
Full Stack Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 6, 2016
Had ample time to learn new technologies like React JS,
Highly talented seniors to learn from,
Good work-life balance,
great manager but overall high-level management needs improvement
from ok to bad in 1 yrs time
Database guy (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAAugust 31, 2015
it used to be ok company to work for now it is pretty bad;
management and hr had always been bad, impersonal and not interested in what we, employees had to say; it caused alienation and disconnect, all free food and "events" that were supposed to create a cohesive workforce seems like plastic substitute for what this company was really lacking: a SOUL
Pros
it paid well
Cons
you as an individual do not matter and are very dispensable
pilot program in roseville
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAApril 7, 2015
the small call center of 7 people was great we were like a family the pay structure was not consistant but all and all a fun place
Pros
fun upbeat place
Cons
bounes were not consistent
President has no people skills
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJanuary 15, 2015
It use to be a great environment, but the President changed the business model .
Pros
.com casual environment
Lots of employee perks
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJanuary 30, 2014
Typical day is extremely busy doing account maintenance
I learned Car Dealership overall sales operations
Management was not very helpful or insightful to promote growth
My co-workers were all very pleasant to work with making it fun.
Hardest part of the job is to constantly wait for someone else to finish doing their job for me to finish mine. At some point I have decided to do everything myself which can be overwhelming at times.
I enjoyed learning every aspect of the processes for every department and had great ideas to improve them.
Pros
Free food and lunches
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TrueCar, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at TrueCar, Inc..

Powered by Comparably