TrueCar, Inc. Employee Reviews

Attempt at a fun culture
Business Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 17, 2018
My department's manager changed frequently and as a result, the experience changed often as well. My first manager was by far the best but after that, things started going down hill. The new management did not give us the feeling that we were truly cared for.
Pros
Good working environment and an attempt at a fun culture
Cons
Too much politics in career advancement
Company was good to their employees
CSR Lead (Former Employee) –  Bee Cave, TXApril 14, 2018
Truecar was a great place to work. The company truly treated me well during my time there. The benefits were amazing.
The team that I worked were very supportive and I had learned a tremendous amount of info about how the company worked.
Pros
Free gatherings and lunches
Cons
The pay was not enough for my living expenses.
Siloed Company with Frequent Reboots
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJanuary 31, 2018
TrueCar is an agile-development focused company with a significant first-mover advantage in negotiated automotive lead solutions. The company compensates its employees quite well and prides itself on its "above normal" compensation package.

However, the company is fairly siloed, with promotions and significant responsibilities given primarily to long-term friends of the senior management. There is very little advancement, promotions, or raises for the majority of the technical staff with a significant amount of churn.

The culture can be very isolating at times with entire divisions taking the blame for mid- and upper-management decisions.

If you find yourself in a well-loved team, however, your TrueCar experience will be great. Many well-positioned employees remain at the company for 5-10 years or more. However, beware of the 2-3 year layoff cycles and wholesale reorganizations.
Awful job experience, work life balance non-existent, poor team collaboration
Sr. Partner Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAAugust 14, 2017
Extreme micromanagement, worked from 9am to often 3am after getting home from work, was not appreciated nor praised for any of my work, despite all my partners having great relationships and positive feedback for me consistently. Some sexist comments made to me. Constant scolding for what I perceived to be going above and beyond - but due to serious control issues on behalf of my manager, my actions in doing so were not recognized as positive. Lack of growth opportunity. Quick turnover due to poor culture. Provided free lunch once a week and had a nice office and a fully stocked kitchen for staff, but I would not recommend working here.
Bad Management
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMay 9, 2017
Overall, the work environment is good, but bad management. A lot of favoritism, lack of communication, and very stressful place to work. It has gotten to a point where I need to find a better suited environment and with better management.
Great Company
Client Success Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAApril 28, 2017
Good benefits and compensation. Fun role interacting with different clients everyday. Challenging part is being on the road all the time. Home office is supportive of field team.
Great pay and benefits, poor talent management
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAAugust 31, 2016
I've been with TrueCar over 3 years and their overall compensation and benefits are really good, but their not good at managing their talent, let alone their corporate strategy. It's been a lot of up and downs, which makes it difficult to find a groove here, but some may find it exciting as things are always changing. Don't expect much reward working here unless you're in 'the club'.
Pros
Free lunch once a week, great benefits, great pay, great location
Cons
Poor company culture and morale, poor work life balance, no stability, very 'boys club' environment
Fun
Java/J2EE Developer (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAAugust 24, 2016
Good to work and co-workers are friendly. no pressure for work. management very good at pay. i learned many things and some times typical at work.
Opportunity to learn the latest techs in the market
Full Stack Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 6, 2016
Had ample time to learn new technologies like React JS,
Highly talented seniors to learn from,
Good work-life balance,
great manager but overall high-level management needs improvement
from ok to bad in 1 yrs time
Database guy (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAAugust 31, 2015
it used to be ok company to work for now it is pretty bad;
management and hr had always been bad, impersonal and not interested in what we, employees had to say; it caused alienation and disconnect, all free food and "events" that were supposed to create a cohesive workforce seems like plastic substitute for what this company was really lacking: a SOUL
Pros
it paid well
Cons
you as an individual do not matter and are very dispensable
pilot program in roseville
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAApril 7, 2015
the small call center of 7 people was great we were like a family the pay structure was not consistant but all and all a fun place
Pros
fun upbeat place
Cons
bounes were not consistent
President has no people skills
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJanuary 15, 2015
It use to be a great environment, but the President changed the business model .
Pros
.com casual environment
Lots of employee perks
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJanuary 30, 2014
Typical day is extremely busy doing account maintenance
I learned Car Dealership overall sales operations
Management was not very helpful or insightful to promote growth
My co-workers were all very pleasant to work with making it fun.
Hardest part of the job is to constantly wait for someone else to finish doing their job for me to finish mine. At some point I have decided to do everything myself which can be overwhelming at times.
I enjoyed learning every aspect of the processes for every department and had great ideas to improve them.
Pros
Free food and lunches
Great Product and R&D, Needs to Improve Engineering
Software Architect (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CaliforniaDecember 25, 2013
A typical day at TrueCar is pretty straightforward. I spent about 60% of my time writing code and 40% managing or involved with process and meetings.

What I learned at TrueCar is to carefully vet the culture and practices of the team you are joining. I know it sounds simple, but when I first interviewed I was so pleased with the members of the R&D team I would be working with, that I didn't ask the hard questions. The problem is TrueCar has n incredible amount of technical debt, and a brutal engineering culture. The churn is high. The location is fantastic, the compensation and benefits are very attractive. TrueCar taught me to look beyond the superficial to really understand the dynamics of the culture.

The hardest part of the job is the changing product roadmap, its relatively hard to see projects through to completion because the the product roadmap changes faster than things can be built, like every few weeks a new major initiative replaces an old one.

The best part of the job was the creative freedom to design high performance Java recommendation engines alongside the R&D team.
Pros
Compensation, Location
Cons
Engineering Culture
Productive work place by the beach
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CASeptember 19, 2012
One of the best places I've ever worked at. The culture is exciting, food is abundant, and the beach front views are awesome.
Pros
beach, work-life balance, compensation
Cons
undergoing some changes
Not a healthy environment
Sr. Corporate & Technical Recruiter, Contract (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CASeptember 10, 2012
Poorly run HR department. High turnover. Lack of leadership, no resources to effectively do job.
Pros
free medical
Cons
stressful work environment
Wonderful place to work
Sr. Corporate & Technical Recruiter, Contract (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMay 7, 2012
Contract position. Wonderful place to work. Great people, culture and environment.
Pros
lots of freebees
Cons
position did not last as it was contract

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TrueCar, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

56out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at TrueCar, Inc..

Powered by Comparably