TruGreen Employee Reviews for Lawn Care Specialist

Found 226 reviews matching the search See all 2,565 reviews
productive workplace
Lawn Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAMarch 18, 2019
it was an okay workplace until a dog attacked me and management didin't care and thought it was funny.so with that it wasn't the job it was mgmt. that was horrible to employees at times.
Pros
gave us powerade when it was hot
Cons
worked all day that was good
Underpaid and very over worked
Lawn Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterford, MIMarch 16, 2019
40 or more stops per day, equipment always breaking down yet still have to finish your stops once it's fixed with a bandaid. Paperwork will say yards are 6,000 sq ft and end up being 15,000 sq.ft. forcing you to run out of liquid fert and have to drive back to the shop to refill to only go back out to finish. Most customers were very angry with trugreen, and rightfully so. Management avoided customers and wouldn't talk to them forcing the tech's to have to handle all customer complaints. You'll work 50 hrs in 4 days only on Thursday evening for them to tell you not to come in on Friday and there goes all your O.T. you were hoping for, or they'll tell you your off and then at the last minute tell you, you now have to work. Horrible place to work, very thankless job with no future. Laid off for 15 weeks out of the year in Michigan. Management lieing to customers so they don't have to deal with them, overselling product customers don't need. Like I said I would loose my house before I went to work for this horrible company again.
Pros
Work alone
Cons
Salary, managment, customers
Not the best Job for everyone
Lawncare Specialist (Current Employee) –  Carpentersville, ILMarch 8, 2019
A pro is you can have 0 knowledge of lawn care and do just fine. However, it is a physical job. To start you will be a regular lawn tech and have to work in searing heat and freezing cold. Like any job you'll have to deal with upset customers (more than you'd expect). The managers at the branch I work at don't have many people skills. They treat you like a machine than a person. They don't know how to talk with their employees. For Example, when I was told about training starting up again I got a text saying "Training starts Monday 8am-430pm" and that was it. I felt there was a better way to ask if I am ready to come back but instead I was told as if I had no option to start training on another date (there are multiple dates for training).
Trugreen is all about making money at the cost of over-working their employees. If the branch falls behind in revenue they will directly blame the lawn techs for managerial mistakes and poor customer service and as a result the techs will have to work increased hours and Saturdays. Overall, I would not recommend a friend to work at Trugreen.
Pros
pays fairly well
Cons
long hours, 6 day work week, managment
Fast paced customer service
Lawn Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCFebruary 25, 2019
Driving from home to home to make corrections to lawn to ensure proper growth. Working in the South Carolina sun is not for r everyone but if you can take the heat it is a good place to work
Avoid at all costs
Lawn Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 21, 2019
Very disorganized and poorly managed work place. All managerial shortcomings fall back on the employees. For example, there are never enough workers hired to get all the work done in a timely fashion. So instead of hiring more workers they just require that you work Saturdays too. Basically you can expect to work 50-70 hours a week because there’s never enough people hired at any given time. Nothing wrong with a little overtime here and there but working 6 days a week every week all season long is ridiculous. And then management will wonder why you’re burnt out and hate your job. And good luck getting a decent piece of equipment that works to do your job with! Oh yeah you’ll be laid off in the Winter to collect unemployment and this Winter the gross earning they reported were less than my Net income. So I got screwed on that too!!! If you want to work in lawn care find a place to do mowing or even landscaping, but don’t sign up to spread fertilizer for TruGreen.
Pros
Sundays off #sarcasm
Cons
Everything else
Great people to work with but to many hours
Lawn Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLFebruary 20, 2019
Get there in the morning at 6 get your truck all ready head out at 6:10 etc. drive to your zone spray fertilizer and weed control , look for fungus , and/or insects in lawn might have to spray for them too. And you have around 30 lawns a day to spray. Depending on the size of the houses bigger houses less lawns. Some days I was back by 6pm other days I didn’t get back till 8pm.
Pros
Benefits 401k
Cons
No social life, long hours, 12+ hour days
wouldn't go back
Lawn Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHFebruary 16, 2019
my first year was not one I would want to repeat. They didn't much care for their employees or their well being. they would have us do things that went against state regulations. they would bid jobs way under the square footage of the actual lawn.this caused us to run out of product constantly and we would get reprimanded for going back for more. it was a constant fight with management on square footage and materials.
Pros
always busy, worked by yourself
Cons
everything else
Reliable and Dependable
Lawn Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 17, 2019
First time doing something completely out of my element. And I didnt regret it. Management is fair, very understanding and care for you overall safety and wellbeing. The work is very simple and the training is easy to comprehend
You learn a little about agriculture
Lawn Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Plainfield, NJJanuary 15, 2019
The work itself was peaceful. Something about gardening that is relaxing and satisfying. I really enjoyed being part of the rehabilitation of my customers lawns. To see them start off brown or no grass, to a few months later after care a lush green.
Humans?
Lawn Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wheat Ridge, COJanuary 8, 2019
other then spraying chemicals without mask that they never offer nor provide it was a decent company to work for but at the end of the day they are all about numbers in the corporate world
Choose what YOU want to do with life
Lawn Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lititz, PAJanuary 3, 2019
If you are looking to get rich, BUT lack the drive to go up the chain of command and willingness to move to do so... this is not the place for you.

If; however, you are looking to have the feeling of being self reliable and out in the field, talking with customers and handling their lawns than this is the place for you. I have greatly enjoyed my time at TruGreen, and will continue to do so. I have no intentions on moving from this company as I highly value my social life with the team; and the freedom that working solo provides me. There is a large workload though which needs to be done every day in the summer, which with this type of work is the hardest time to do the amount of physical labor necessary. Getting that done is a rewarding feeling though, and will help you get your steps in!

Social structure, equipment support, and work loads do vary from branch to branch.

Compensation just took a bump up, though still leaves a bit to be desired. That said, if you are looking for higher wages you can go up the chain. I have seen three promotions from the local branch in just one year, and this is not just a fad but the normal.

If you are undecided what to do in life it is perfectly reasonable to work at TruGreen for a season or two and do your searching for your personal goals during the Seasonal Lay-off. Would love to see more good workers come in and stay in but remember that your life is for you to choose.
Pros
Long hours with time and a half pay, may work through lunch, Social structure, Get your steps in, Adventure/Get to know the area and its inhabitants.
Cons
Long hours, sometimes must work through lunch, Weather, Compensation
all they care about is production
Lawn Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rocky Hill, CTJanuary 2, 2019
there deal is gain 3 customers to every loss of 2 customers. Way to controlling over a route, the tech knows his route better than a computer program.
Good learning environment
Lawn Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 29, 2018
There is paid training and availability to grow. Management is helpful in personal growth, hands on training, and availability for advancement. It's great!
Pros
Time management
Outdoor work,self-motivating, physical
Lawn Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDDecember 17, 2018
You must be able to manage yourself as you're more or less on your own each day and have a certain amount of work to be done, training is thorough but must be remembered and utilized quickly for good customer service
Pros
Fresh air, exercise
Cons
Can be long days at times
Corporate environment but solid employer
Lawn Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCDecember 3, 2018
Great place to work if you can handle the corporate mess that it can be. Pay is low for the amount of work and responsibility that can be put on you. Show up and do your work kind-of environment
good job
Lawn Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Andover, MANovember 20, 2018
this job is not to bad to work at. 4 day work weeks but getting laid off in the winter is different if used to working all year long. other than that good to work at
Good place to get lots of hours
Lawn Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wixom, MINovember 12, 2018
The people who work there are all very helpful and always willing to give advice, especially to new employees. There was always a great feeling of camaraderie. Personally the only drawback to this job is that you are typically working by yourself during the day and this was difficult for me.
Don't bother applying if you plan on furthering yourself
Lawn-care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Andover, MANovember 8, 2018
The typical day at work was stressful with some of the customers. The managers want everything to be literally flawless. If you can be perfect, then go and apply. If you do not mind the equipment breaking down a lot, then this is the job for you.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
If you want a life outside of work, look else where
Lawn Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicopee, MANovember 2, 2018
Long hours, little pay, working in all kinds of weather.

TruGreen - where you can bust your butt all day and bring in over a $1000 in production, only to be told at the of your day: "why didn't you do more?"

Pouring rain? Snow? Stay on the road and get everything done. Get back at night (soaking wet and freezing): "Did you get all your stops done?" Yes. "Did you make a sale?" No. "You're worthless then."

And that's during your first couple of weeks when you're learning to do the job, it only gets worse after week four... (I won't even bring up the ****ed off customers that you'll have to deal with on a daily basis...the ones that have been told "X" by the call centers only to have you tell them "that's not how it works...")

I also won't even mention all the free work they want you to do off the clock. Ask during your interview about "IN BRANCH TIME," and "CALL BLOCKS," and taking breaks and lunch (hint: you won't have time to take breaks or lunch.), and the sorry state of their equipment.
Pros
paid weekly, they provide boots and uniforms
Cons
the boots are uncomfortable, the uniforms are hot as **** in the middle of summer
Stressful too much work with no pay
Lawn Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 28, 2018
It was an ok job when i first started After years of overworking and underpaying guys they lost a lot of veteran guys. They dont value great employees just move on and hire people to hit a number or goal. Lack of communication from top til bottom. They expect so much from their employees day in and day out but will not compensate you at all

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TruGreen. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight