Trupanion Employee Reviews

Amazing Company, Incredible Mission!
People Operations (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 2, 2019
Trupanion is an incredible company, with the best mission! It's a fun environment, and I genuinely look forward to coming to work. We work hard and it's very rewarding. I'm so happy I found this place.

Pros
-The people
-Our "corporate" in office cats and dogs
-Culture and work-life balance
-Benefits (awesome healthcare, 5-week paid sabbatical after 5 years in addition to PTO, stock options - to name a few!)
-Transparent, caring management team

Cons
Compensation needs some work, but I know this is a current priority.
Wonderful workplace
Medical Records and Claims (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 6, 2019
A great atmosphere to work in with a company that really cares about its employees. Depending on your job, it can get a little repetitive in what you're doing.
Pros
Great atmosphere, lots of benefits, bonus potential
Great work place
Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 7, 2018
Trupanion was a great and happy place to work, I left in order to support my husband in our family business.
I would have gladly stayed at Trupanion as a life long employee.
It's full of character and their mission to help pets resonates with me.
Okay
Territory Partner (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 30, 2018
They have this idea that replacing the people that are in the field selling their product is going to help it sell. That is not the truth. The fact is, you can only "sell" this product to vets that are willing to recommend it.
I loved it here!
Lead Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 10, 2018
Trupanion was my dream job. My entire life I had wanted to help animals while performing finance duties. Trupanion gave me that opportunity. I felt valued. Trupanion's motto is "Be yourself, everyone else is taken" and the company truly lives by that statement. It's a fun work environment and people tend to stay for a long time. They offer free on-site daycare, paid volunteer days, and fun activities after business hours such as knitting club and game nights. The best part of the job was all of the dogs in the office! If you're ever having a bad day, all you need is to go find a dog to snuggle with! Leaving Trupanion was the hardest decision I have ever had to make in my entire life (I was commuting 100 miles round trip every day) and there's not a day that goes by that I don't miss the company.
Don't go there
Territory Partner (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 30, 2018
This company expects you to foot the entire bill for all your expenses in the hopes that you will eventually make commission money. They say it takes 3+ years to make at least minimum wage....
Pros
Met some good people
Cons
Didn't make any money
Still trying to find their way.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 24, 2018
The company doesn't know where they want to go or how to get there. Constantly changing direction. New ideas not appreciated nor really wanted. Can not be the industry leader without leadership! Very frustrating...everyday.
Cons
Benefits, lack of leadership, company model that does not work. No work/life balance.
Field Sales
Territory Partner Associate (Current Employee) –  MidwestApril 26, 2018
Although not the right fit for everyone representing Trupanion in the field is the most rewarding job I've ever had. The culture of the organization as a whole is amazing and when missteps happen there is open communication to correct it. By no means perfect but far more pros than cons.
Fun Job but can be a grind
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 27, 2018
If you love pets than you will have fun. The job can be a grind at times but you stay busy. The pay is lower for living Seattle. Good entry to sales to gain further experience.
Poor management
Retention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 13, 2017
Management is disengaged and disconnected from the team members they are suppose to be leading. They don’t lead by influence but out of fear. That will only make your people work just hard enough to not get fired. I’m looking elsewhere for my next career opportunity so I can leave this job behind.
Pros
Discount on pet insurance
Cons
Too many things
Best Place I have ever worked.
SDET (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 10, 2017
Having dogs and cats around during the workday is very relaxing, but can sometimes be a distracting. The culture is fairly relaxed and people a very interested in helping pets.
Pros
Dogs and Cats at work, Great Customer Service, Great communication strategic vision
Great place to work with a ping pong table
Data Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 3, 2017
If you can stand the mind numbing day to day work that is staring at a computer screen doing the same thing for hours and hours at a time, then all the fun things the company does for you is worth it. They treat their employees REALLY well.
Office politics
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 11, 2017
As someone who worked for this company for many years and made significant contributions, I felt highly undervalued and underpaid. They set up an awful pay structure and would hire new staff with less experience for higher pay.
The job itself was somewhat enjoyable, but it's hard to stay somewhere they treat you like just another cog in the machine. Also, bringing pets to work is a perk, however the accidents, smell of urine, and fleas are not.
Pros
Bringing pets to work
Cons
Poor work-life balance, many (salaried employees) worked 10+ hour days and weekends
Great people, geeat benefits, wonderfully pet friendly
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 2, 2017
Was with the company during much of the early growth. Management was always hit or miss and varied from department to department. Little opportunity to advance if they determine you are good at what you do...they'd rather you just be productive and shut up. When I worked there, mandatory overtime and extra hours were the norm to deal with the growing pains. We moved 3 times in 3 years and all three times, the employees did most of the moving.
Pros
Bringing pets to work, great people, good benefits
Cons
Inconsistent management, growing pains, lack of advancement
Pet-friendly office with super productive and fun people to work with
Accounting & Finance Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 5, 2017
It's a greet learning experience to intern there! Managers really care whether you learnt and were willing to help you with any questions. Good place to start working.
Great place to work!
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 23, 2016
The work culture is amazing and the benefits are unmatched at any other place I've worked. However the pay leaves a lot to be desired for the experience required and the amount of work expected.
Great benefits
PAYROLL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 9, 2016
Good company, diverse workforce.
Free daycare
New location in Georgetown
Bring your pets to work - free dog walkers
Free pet insurance
Relaxed Environment and Fun Culture, But Lots of Growing Pains
Claims (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 22, 2016
Trupanion was my first job after moving to the Pacific Northwest, and they have given me amazing growth and a sense of community. The office is a very relaxed environment that allows pets and flexibility to work remotely.

Due to the rapid growth of the Seattle office, standards and structures are not uniformly applied or adhered to from team to team or department to department. It is a struggle to align our vision into concrete processes.

Our culture is built by great people who are passionate about pets, but it's hit-or-miss on whether you feel like you can grow within the company or get new opportunities. It is still a young company by insurance standards, and there is a lot of room for improvement and strides toward operating like a well-oiled machine.
Pros
Healthcare, option for 5-week sabbatical after 5 years, stock options, pets allowed, relaxed environment
Cons
Poor change management, lapses in communication, poor visibility between departments
Inside Sales
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 11, 2016
Customers are the best. Fun sales job. Do-not expect to build a career there. Hit your numbers, stay professional, and move on.
Medical Insurance for Pets
Claims Assistant/Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Seatlle, WAAugust 26, 2015
I worked in the Claims Department at Trupanion where I collected, organized, and processed the information required to assess insurance claims for eligibility for our beloved pets and policy-holders.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Trupanion. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Trupanion.

Powered by Comparably