Trupanion Management reviews

Amazing Company, Incredible Mission!
People Operations (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 2, 2019
Trupanion is an incredible company, with the best mission! It's a fun environment, and I genuinely look forward to coming to work. We work hard and it's very rewarding. I'm so happy I found this place.

Pros
-The people
-Our "corporate" in office cats and dogs
-Culture and work-life balance
-Benefits (awesome healthcare, 5-week paid sabbatical after 5 years in addition to PTO, stock options - to name a few!)
-Transparent, caring management team

Cons
Compensation needs some work, but I know this is a current priority.
Still trying to find their way.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 24, 2018
The company doesn't know where they want to go or how to get there. Constantly changing direction. New ideas not appreciated nor really wanted. Can not be the industry leader without leadership! Very frustrating...everyday.
Cons
Benefits, lack of leadership, company model that does not work. No work/life balance.
Poor management
Retention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 13, 2017
Management is disengaged and disconnected from the team members they are suppose to be leading. They don’t lead by influence but out of fear. That will only make your people work just hard enough to not get fired. I’m looking elsewhere for my next career opportunity so I can leave this job behind.
Pros
Discount on pet insurance
Cons
Too many things
Office politics
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 11, 2017
As someone who worked for this company for many years and made significant contributions, I felt highly undervalued and underpaid. They set up an awful pay structure and would hire new staff with less experience for higher pay.
The job itself was somewhat enjoyable, but it's hard to stay somewhere they treat you like just another cog in the machine. Also, bringing pets to work is a perk, however the accidents, smell of urine, and fleas are not.
Pros
Bringing pets to work
Cons
Poor work-life balance, many (salaried employees) worked 10+ hour days and weekends
Great people, geeat benefits, wonderfully pet friendly
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 2, 2017
Was with the company during much of the early growth. Management was always hit or miss and varied from department to department. Little opportunity to advance if they determine you are good at what you do...they'd rather you just be productive and shut up. When I worked there, mandatory overtime and extra hours were the norm to deal with the growing pains. We moved 3 times in 3 years and all three times, the employees did most of the moving.
Pros
Bringing pets to work, great people, good benefits
Cons
Inconsistent management, growing pains, lack of advancement
Relaxed Environment and Fun Culture, But Lots of Growing Pains
Claims (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 22, 2016
Trupanion was my first job after moving to the Pacific Northwest, and they have given me amazing growth and a sense of community. The office is a very relaxed environment that allows pets and flexibility to work remotely.

Due to the rapid growth of the Seattle office, standards and structures are not uniformly applied or adhered to from team to team or department to department. It is a struggle to align our vision into concrete processes.

Our culture is built by great people who are passionate about pets, but it's hit-or-miss on whether you feel like you can grow within the company or get new opportunities. It is still a young company by insurance standards, and there is a lot of room for improvement and strides toward operating like a well-oiled machine.
Pros
Healthcare, option for 5-week sabbatical after 5 years, stock options, pets allowed, relaxed environment
Cons
Poor change management, lapses in communication, poor visibility between departments
Relaxing environment w/ pets
Claims Support (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 10, 2015
It is a great place to meet new people and has great benefits. However, work day can become extremely repetitive. Also, there isn't a whole lot of room for advancement. Lastly, the management aren't very good at managing. Overall, it is a good relaxed environment to bring your cat or dog to work, with good benefits, BUT other than that it gets old.
Pros
Benefits/healthcare, pay, releaxed environment
Cons
Poor management, repetitive, limited advancement opportunities
Territory Partner
Territory Partner (Current Employee) –  Eastern USOctober 26, 2014
Working as a Territory Partner for Trupanion should be a great experience. The idea is to support pet owners and Veterinarians. Too bad it doesn't work that way. Management at Trupanion has little to no idea how to sell their product. They have less of an idea how to train their representatives. The pay is terrible. Work life balance is horrible. The TP is supposed to work 100 hours a week for years before any real money starts coming in. They have made an agreement with Country Financial to sell their pet insurance, so there is no exclusivity to the territory. They can cancel your contract for any reason with 30 days notice. The TP is lead by a frumpy marketing director who has no experience in American markets. Market penetration is terrible. Of over 30000 veterinary hospitals, fewer than 50 are A rated, meaning that little business is generated from most(over 98%) hospitals. That's after over 10 years in the business. Stay away from this company.
Pros
Some nice people work in support of the TP
Cons
Terrible treatment of the Territory Partner