TSG Water Employee Reviews

Great People to work with
Vice President and General Manager (USA) (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLOctober 11, 2018
Some of the best personnel I have ever had the opportunity to work with, regards their jpb knowledge and attitude towards same. Atmosphere is much like family with all the good and bad that entails.
Awful. Just awful.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  GainesvilleSeptember 10, 2018
The jobs they solicit for is nothing like the jobs you end up doing. Poorly managed, under staffed, stressful place to work. Do yourself a favor and don't apply for a position here.
Pros
Absolutely none
Cons
Too many to fit in this box
September 17, 2018

Thank you for your comment. We, however, have a different perspective on the events to which you refer. As you know, we do our best to equip all team members to be successful. For those who overstated their skills and experience, or refuse to show professionalism, we are limited in what we can do. However, we wish you success in all your future endeavors!

September 17, 2018

Thank you for your comment. We, however, have a different perspective on the events to which you refer. However, we wish you success in all your future endeavors!

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Anguilla, BWIJuly 24, 2018
The good is that TSG does pay well. You will work extremely hard which is also good from my point of view. The bad is that corporate management has a tendency to lie to their employees to get what they want at the time figuring that once you you are committed and doing the job, you'll be stuck there. The Bad is workplace culture. TSG earns the majority of it's cash flow from the field offices. Unfortunately, The Corporate Merry-Go-Around with employees constantly coming and going in Gainesville have no idea how TSG operates or what goes on in the field offices yet continue making silly policy decisions that effect the field offices without ever having been to one of the Caribbean Islands or understand what goes on with daily operations. For instance, The Human Resources Manager made a first trip to one of the Caribbean Islands coming back to Gainesville calling for the immediate dismissal of two field office main operator employees. The continual corporate policy changes has been the cause for more than one of TSG's long standing management team to leave. What is enjoyable about TSG is the hardworking people throughout the field offices. The team work is unlike anything I have experienced before. Unfortunately, TSG has an "Us against them" mentality between corporate and field office employees. Now for "The Ugly". Watch out if you're ever going to leave TSG. They have dismissed more than one employee who has given notice to leave including high ranking corporate employees. They even put off dismissing a high ranking employee because the employees significant other was working  more... out in the field completing a project, so they waited until the work was complete resulting in both employees leaving the company. After giving two weeks notice myself, I made a stupid move and shared why I was leaving on social media where an unknown person sent a very edited version of my post to TSG. This of course resulted in my immediate dismissal which in my opinion was warranted. However, what was not appropriate behavior is TSG not paying my final paycheck as was discussed in person with the Vice President of operations prior to me leaving this particular Caribbean island. They of course changed the agreement after I left island requiring me to personally pick up my check from their attorney's office. Heck of a way to treat an employee after 8 years of service.  less
Pros
good pay
Cons
Long hours, lack of support.
September 17, 2018

Thank you for your comment. We, however, have a different perspective on the events to which you refer. As you know, we do our best to equip all team members to be successful. For those who do not exhibit professionalism, we are limited in what we can do. However, we wish you success in all your future endeavors!

September 17, 2018

Thank you for your comment. We, however, have a different perspective on the events to which you refer. As you know, we do our best to equip all team members to be successful. For those who overstated their skills and experience or refuse to work with professionalism, we are limited in what we can do. However, we wish you success in all your future endeavors!

Do not apply...
Professional (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJuly 23, 2018
I worked for TSG for several years. My time here has been like watching a constant revolving door of employees coming and going.
I have watched as nearly every bit of talent has walked out the door including the original people that started the company in the first place. About all that is left is clueless "yes men".

Senior management seems to lack a clear vision or strategy. Because of this, there is a lot of wasted time, effort, and money. There is no accountability for leaderships poor decision making.

If you do take a job here you will feel like you stepped into a time machine taking you back to high school. Drama Drama Drama
Others have mentioned this in their reviews but it can't be emphasized enough.

Don't expect any personal development or career openings for further growth. This is a small company and each department only has one or two people.

You will also be asked to perform job functions that are completely outside your normal job description and expertise. Do not expect to receive any training to help you perform these additional duties either. Also, don't be surprised if they have you doing things like loading and unloading trucks even though you work in the CAD department, or Engineering.

I'm not sure if the worst part of the job were the working conditions when I traveled, or having to put up with all the theatrics when I was in the office. Either way, I'm glad it is over and I'm finally moving on.
Pros
Free bad coffee
Cons
Benefits, Training, Personal Growth
September 17, 2018

Thank you for your comment. We, however, have a different perspective on the events to which you refer. As you know, we do our best to equip all team members to be successful. For those who overstated their skills and experience, we are limited in what we can do. However, we wish you success in all your future endeavors!

September 17, 2018

Thank you for your comment. We, however, have a different perspective on the events to which you refer. As you know, we do our best to equip all team members to be successful. For those who overstated their skills and experience, or do not demonstrate professionalism, we are limited in what we can do. However, we wish you success in all your future endeavors!

Deplorable place
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJune 19, 2018
I hung in there for several years. I tried very hard to correct the mistakes my predecessors had made and to get my department running smoothly and efficiently. I was met with nothing but aversion from upper management every step of the way. Over the years I watched upper management make one disastrous decision after another causing myself and others a lot of unnecessary work and headaches. The company seems stuck in a reactive mode and no matter how hard you try to be proactive you just can't seem to get the cooperation you need. I'm not a quitter but sometimes you have to know when to give up and do what is right for you. You cannot help someone who will not let you.
Pros
Easy access, Nice commute
Cons
Attitude of Management, Mindset of employees

Terrible place to work
Admin (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMarch 22, 2018
The company as a whole seems misguided and without clear direction. My job duties and expectations varied wildly from one day to the next. I never knew what I was going to get thrown into when I came to work each day. There is also a lot of dissension among the employees and between the employees and management. Just overall a bad experience for me.
Pros
Quiet location
Cons
Management, benefits, culture

September 17, 2018

We're sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience here and wish you the very best in all of your endeavors!

Moving On...
Engineering (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJanuary 26, 2018
I have been here a while now. Long enough to see it is time to move on. I will break this review into different sections and give my view. Hopefully it will help someone.

Co-Workers: For the most part the majority of my co-workers are nice. Several of them though are performing job functions outside their skill set.

Health and Benefits: Sub par and a lot of out of pocket costs to employee. No matching 401k. On the low side even for a small company.

Salary, Raises, Bonuses: I'm paid a decent salary for my job title.The problem is that the job duties I am asked to perform go way outside the normal duties of what my title would mean at another company. Raises are rarely given. I've known many very deserving people going for several years without a salary bump. Bonuses are non-existent.

Travel: Traveling is probably one of the worst things about working here. The per diem that is given is about half of what it should be. The living accommodations vary tremendously from one job to the next. None of them I have experienced have been all that great. The work is incredibly hot and the hours are long and usually very little if any down time whatsoever on a job site. Being a salaried employee no extra money is given for these long hard hours either. They have gotten a little better about giving some time off when you return from a trip.

PTO: PTO is pretty much in line for a company this small. It is often difficult to schedule though with the project schedules being in a constant state of flux.
Pros
Small office environment
Cons
Healthcare, Benefits, Compensation
September 17, 2018

Stressful and unorganized place to work
I wear multiple hats (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLDecember 7, 2017
Several months ago I wrote a good review but now that I have been here for a while I am starting to see what some of the other reviewers were saying. It seems warm and friendly at first but it is just smoke and mirrors. The longer you are here the more you start to see that it all just a charade.

Most of the people working here can't stand each other. This alone makes it very difficult to get anything done. I pride myself on getting along with just about any personality type and I have tried to learn to navigate the minefield but the list of who dislikes who and for what reason changes daily. This is childish and an unnecessary headache to have to deal with.

I also feel I was misled about several things when interviewing. I was misled about the amount of travel and what is expected of you when you do travel. The working conditions when you travel is almost unbearable. The heat and humidity alone is brutal then throw in the long hours. Nothing at all like what I was expecting. I am the type who enjoys getting my hands dirty but this is something else altogether. I was also misled about what a fun and relaxed place this is to work. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is probably the most stressful place I have ever worked. Some do seem to have stress free job while others are buried in work.

Common sense is very lacking here in general but it is extremely lacking in management. I have seen the management here make a lot of bad decisions that just leave you scratching your head trying to make sense of it. Speaking of management; I have also never worked anywhere
  more... that has more meetings than this place does. Seriously. They are not productive meetings either.

As others have said, you are asked to wear multiple hats here and that is OK if you have the training, knowledge and equipment needed to perform those jobs but that is not the case here. There are people wearing hats here they have no business wearing because they do not know what they are doing. I include myself in that as well. I have no business performing some of the duties I am asked to do. I just try and do them as well as I can without training or equipment I need to do them properly.

My advice is if you are looking for a long term job, then keep looking. If you just need something short term then go for it. I have made a couple of good friends here and that is about the only good thing that has come out of working here.
Pros
You get paid to sit in hours of meetings
Cons
Below average benefits, Stressful, Long hours, Bad working conditions when traveling
December 12, 2017

At TSG, we strive to be an employer of choice; employing professionals who excel in their fields, who provide products and services that exceed our clients’ expectations and who love coming to work every day. If this post is truly from a current employee, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention, albeit in this venue. You are encouraged to speak with Human Resources so the issues can be addressed.

Nice place to work with flexible hours and friendly co workers.
Designer/Drafter (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLOctober 4, 2017
TSG is a good place to work. Everyone is nice and gets his or her job done with a positive attitude. The workload is steady with reasonable time frames to complete projects. I enjoy working here.
December 12, 2017

Thanks for the great feedback! #weloveourteammembers #weloveourclients

Take reviews with a grain of salt.
I wear multiple hats. (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, Fl.June 26, 2017
I am one of the employees here with the most tenure, and I have a few things to say about TSG.
For the record, I am not a part of management.
Most of the negative reviews are from employees that were terminated even if they may say "current employee", I can guess at who wrote almost all of them.
We are a small company so pretty much everyone gets their hands dirty. Our engineers/project managers do help with construction and startup and work along side the rest of the installation crews, if your afraid of occasional hard work, this place probably isn't for you. If you don't enjoy building things with your hands, this place probably isn't for you. If you plan on being a "desk jockey", this place isn't for you. Management tries to keep everyone happy but some people just don't fit in with what this job requires.
We get paid a decent wage and sometimes we travel more than we would like but it isn't that bad. We have a good time when we have time to, we work hard when we need to.
Most of our installs are in the Caribbean and Mexico, yes it is HOT, but it isn't unbearable.
this is just my 2 cents, but overall I think this is a good place to work.
Pros
Great co-workers.
Cons
Small company benefits.
I lasted less than a year.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJune 24, 2017
Be careful. The job title and functions they advertise and hire you under is not the job functions they will ask of you. I was hired in as a "Manager and Engineer" but they had me in the field working manual labor like drilling holes, cutting pipe, digging, loading membranes, etc. What they really want is someone to do it all. From engineering the project, to managing the project to installing the project.

They lured me in by making traveling and working in the islands sound enticing. There was nothing great about working in the islands. About the only time you see the island is when you are arriving and leaving. You fly in, work long hours in brutal conditions and then fly home exhausted. They don't give you enough money for per diem when traveling. When working at a job site we would go to a grocery store first thing and buy items that we all like in common and take turns cooking at night. Nothing like sweating for 10 or 11 hours and then coming back and cooking... Sure we would go out to eat sometimes, but were usually just beat from the long day we just had.
I don't mean to come off as sounding entitled or anything like that, but I worked really hard to get my engineering degree and didn't make all those personal sacrifices so I could work in construction. I have always been described as easy going. Some of the people I had to work with really put my mild temperament to a test.

I also felt somewhat misled by the amount of travel required.

My best advice is if you are looking for a job keep looking. I hate having this blemish on my resume. If you do consider
  more... a job here, I would make sure you get all your job duties and expectations in writing.  less
Pros
Nice commute to the office.
Cons
Long hours, Lots of travel. Lots of unnecessary headaches.

Time for me to fly.
Project worker (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJune 4, 2017
I have worked here for several years now. I keep telling myself that it will get better but I guess there comes a time when you have to face reality. I enjoy living in this part of Florida but jobs in my line of work are scarce in this area. I was really excited about finding this job and genuinely hoped I could make it work here. I have finally come to grips with the fact that I need to move on. I see others on here who have said what a great place to work this is. I can assure you they have never gone out on an install. I have been on several installs over the years. They have all been unnecessarily difficult. Lots of mistakes made due to lack of communication and poor oversight. I just went on a couple of installs recently and they were even worse than usual. I thought by now they would be getting better. The problem is upper management has slowly run everyone off who knew what they were doing. It makes it exponentially more difficult on the few of us left with experience. I'm not excited about looking for another job and probably having to move; but it is better than spinning my wheels here.
Pros
Large shop space and plenty of parking
Cons
Frustrating, disorganized and lots of drama
September 17, 2018

I love my job and the people I work with
Buyer/Planner (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 1, 2017
I look forward to going to work everyday, my boss is the absolute best I have ever worked under. I make the most money I have ever made with great benefits, an excellent work environment and room still to grow within the company. I was completely new to the systems we work with and I was very well trained before I was expected to work on my own, but if I have questions I am always encouraged to ask. I was welcomed into the company as part of a very unique TSG family member and I am very grateful for the opportunity that I was given with this wonderful company. If you have the opportunity to work at TSG, take it. You will not regret the decision.
Pros
Great Management, Very Competitive Wages and Lots of Room to grow
May 22, 2017

We're blushing!! Stop with all of this effusive praise . . . if I counted all the great things you said about us, it would be, well . . . eight!! Thanks for ALL of them.

Welcoming environment
Shop Technician (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLApril 27, 2017
As a new employee, I feel extremely welcome amongst all of my co-workers; including management. Everyone here has done a great job getting to know me and giving me a good idea of the duties I am expected to perform. Management is extremely concerned with workplace safety, which makes me feel like more than just a number.
Pros
Start with PTO, oppurtunity to travel, great co-workers
May 22, 2017

Wow! We LOVE hearing things like this! And, after watching the awards show last night, we'd like to thank you, the person who told you about our vacancy, the Academy and our managers and roadies!

TSG is a great place to work!!!
Sales/Procurement (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLApril 27, 2017
Management at TSG ALWAYS supports their staff! I had never felt more secure with a manager than at TSG. You feel like management "has your back".

The job culture is fantastic! The staff is always willing to help, train and explain what needs to be done. The atmosphere is laid back. A great group of people!

I did not have health benefits through TSG but with any small company they were normal rates.

If you are a good person, hard worker, reliable, honest, and enjoy a fun and great working environment - TSG is it!
May 22, 2017

Thank you for the kind words! #westriveforexcellence #welovewhatwedo #weresuperprofessional #howmanyhashtagsistoomany

Don't consider taking a job here...
Director (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLApril 17, 2017
It was like working with a bunch bickering children. Almost impossible to get any actual work done because this person doesn't like that person and so on. Because of this bickering and constant drama no one communicates with each other which leads to mistakes. The benefits are practically non-existent. And to say that management is clueless is an understatement but until a better word is invented that is the one I will use.

My advice... If you are serious about your career look somewhere else.
Pros
None that I can think of...
Cons
Too many to list. Long hours. Poor benefits. Drama Drama Drama
Stranger by the day.
Engineering (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLDecember 24, 2016
It is a small company and will remain so as long as it stays under the current leadership. The company has had every chance to grow but management continues to make one terrible decision after another. Very few if any of the original employees remain.

I have seen many people trying to make changes in the last several years to try and improve the environment. What I see is new people repeating the same mistakes of the past.

Some people do seem to have time for things like office competitions, while others are buried in work and don't have time for such things. However; If you don't join in these "fun activities"; you are seen as standoffish. This all leads to frustration and resentment. The ones buried in work begin to resent the ones who are not and the ones who are not see the others as being unfriendly.

Project scheduling is also dreadful. Projects never happen when they are supposed to. The only thing you can count on is that they will execute at the worst possible time. Trying to plan ahead for time off for something like your children's birthdays or standing appointments of any kind is very difficult to say the least.

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. There are too many directors of this and vice president's of that. I have never witnessed such an inverted pyramid of management. What is needed is good people who know what they are doing and are willing to work in the field. Not a group of vice presidents and directors sitting in a conference room all day.
Pros
Office is located in Gainesville Florida which is a nice City.
Cons
Long hours. Low end benefits.

Great Place to Work
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLNovember 28, 2016
I enjoy my job! Maybe the bad reviews are characterized by those that don't belong and maybe they don't fit with this company. I enjoy the people for the most part. I have worked in large corporations and I can assure you, working in a small company is much more pleasurable than working where you are nothing but a number and they eventually squeeze the life out of you. There have been stressful days but nothing that couldn't be handled. Everywhere you work, there will always be stress. It's all in how you handle stress!
May 22, 2017

We love it here and are glad you do, too! We take pride in being a small firm and wouldn't be the company we are without the intelligent, hard working folks like you!

Don't waste your time...
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLNovember 2, 2016
They do not give you the tools, training or information you need to do your job. They set you up for failure and then reprimand you for failing. Upper management does not seem to understand what it takes to get a job done.
Cons
Chaotic Disorganized Frustrating
May 22, 2017

This is a great place to work!
Admin (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLOctober 28, 2016
TSG is a great place to work. I have seen so many changes in the last few years to improve the environment and the way projects are accomplished. There's still more to be done, as we are continuously making changes and improving.

It's a very small company (the US branch), and different than any place I've worked. It definitely has character. It is very laid back, providing chances to get to know everyone regardless of title or stature.

We work hard and play hard. When there are multiple projects occurring in the various island locations, it feels a little like a ghost town. But, when we can, we eat lunch together (everyone or in smaller groups), meet after work, and enjoy other fun activities (like competitions) in the office.

I help every department in different ways, and feel empowered to prioritize my load as necessary. This is very important to me, as micromanagement is my least favorite management style.

Scheduling is also very flexible, which helps ensure work-life balance. I am able to schedule time off to be with my children at important or fun school events.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TSG Water. Our community is ready to answer.

2.3