Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation District Employee Reviews

Good People, nice natural areas
Natural Resource Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMarch 27, 2018
I had a great time working at THPRD in the Natural Resources Department. Learned a lot and had the opportunity to work with the public in beautiful natural areas around Beaverton.
Appreciation
Rec Mobile Program Director (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMarch 15, 2018
The only frustrating part of THPRD is their lack of appreciation for part-time employees working to move up. They repeatedly hire outside the organization for full-time positions.
Fun and busy work environment
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMarch 5, 2018
THPRD is a great place to work. I started at the Athletic Center and then transferred to the Conestoga Rec and Athletic Center. Everyday interaction with Patrons, children, staff, athletes as I love working and interacting with people. The hardest part of the job is staying under the 29 hr maximum hrs for part time. I have learned how to use my organizational skills effectively and taking on additional responsibility when available.
Pros
affordability to workout
Cons
No benefits for taking classes without paying full price for part time employees
Part time hours cap
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Tennis CenterFebruary 15, 2018
If you are a part time employee. Don't plan to work than 29 max a week. And you can not go over the 29!
Otherwise the district is a relaxed but professional place to work.
I was fortunate to move around to the different facilities in the district. That kept my day interesting.
Pros
You are working in a fitness minded company.
Cons
No extra hours or raises.
My volunteering experience at THPRD
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Tualatin, ORFebruary 15, 2018
I had a good experience overall with Tualatin Hills Parks & Recreation District. The work was tough but good experience for a counseling job in the future.
Poor management
Afterschool Group Leader/ Sports Instructor (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJuly 20, 2017
Poor management, very unorganized. Lots of things done within the company that does not seem logical. Poor communication and lacks hiring process results in lots of subpar employees.
it is a great place to work.
Dance Instructor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 15, 2017
All of the directors of the program have been very nice. The students are engaged and enthusiastic. Parents have been very supportive of the program. it is a fun place to work.
Pros
Fun encouraging place to work
Cons
I would like to give the students more time to practic their skills
Fun place to work!
Substitute (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJune 25, 2017
THPRD is a great place to work during summer. Great friendly staff that all work collaboratively together to assure the best environment for the children.
Wasn't there long, only an intern.
Graphic Design Intern (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMay 7, 2017
The place had a fine atmosphere and everyone I met was friendly and wanted to make small talk. As an intern I was looking forward to a job I was supposed to move up to but it was handed off to my boss' niece, so that was frustrating, but there was never a negative experience that I had in the workplace. The dress code standards were a little unnecessary, but not inhibiting.
Smart reliable company
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJanuary 4, 2017
A kind environment with people who are always willing to work with your schedule and give helpful insights and information.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
short breaks

Want to know more about Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation District?

Ask a question
Daily Objectives
Complex Watch (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORDecember 21, 2016
A typical day included signing in electronically and traversing the complex in a electric utility vehicle. Most activities revolved around helping busy patrons find the locations they were looking for and helping answer any generic questions they had. I was to report any illicit activity to park patrol.
My boss was a joy to work for and was very supportive. My co-workers (park patrol) were also very informative and friendly.
Bad place to work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cedar Hills, ORDecember 3, 2016
The management is like a dictatorship. They do whatever they want no questions asked. They don't give any breaks to you. And they don't give any instruction. They just expect you to know what to do. And if you don't know what you're doing then you get in trouble for asking questions.
Fun place to work. Great place to begin a career
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORNovember 30, 2016
THPRD is a great place to work. Coming into work and setting up for the programs to teach is always fun. Staff works well together. Co-workers create a cool environment and you look foreword to seeing them. It is a great place to get to know your community and to climb the professional and career ladder.
Pros
Getting to know community; the programs; the co-workers
Cons
benefits; part time; hours
Enjoyable job,which gave me the chance to interact with many types of people.
Program Aide (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, OROctober 4, 2016
Tualatin Hills was an enjoyable place to work, It was satisfying to help create a positive and safe environment for people to recreate at. The majority of those who worked there felt passionate about what they did. The hardest part of the job was having to administer first aid when someone was injured.
Pros
There was a very positive work mentality, those who worked there wanted to be there.
Cons
Most positions were seasonal, I would move from one program to the next, which often resulted in a decrease in pay.
Lack of Training Produces Poor Staff
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORAugust 25, 2016
Extremely frustrating at lack of communication and lack of training in the aquatics division. Management doesn't seem to care as it doesn't keep center supervisors or some program coordinators accountable for the their job duties.
Pros
Working in a pool, fun part-time coworkers
Cons
Hardly any breaks, difficult to get time off, no training, no communication
Fun workplace interacting with children.
Summer Camp Volunteer Counselor (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJuly 18, 2016
I learned a lot about working with children and how to provide a safe learning environment for them. My co-workers were very supportive and helpful of my role as a summer camp counselor. The hardest part of the job was maintaining a high energy level throughout the day. The most enjoyable aspect was interacting with the children and watching them learn new things every day.
Pros
Exercise, teaching children about nature, fun environment, great co-workers.
Cons
Manintaining a high energy level throughout the day.
Under appreciated, under valued
Swimming Instructor/Head Guard (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORApril 28, 2016
If you want to be under appreciated and under valued as an employee this is the place for you. They value saving money by cutting as many lifeguards from a shift over maintaining proper safety. They call your 15 minute "Breaks" time to clean and do rotations through the locker room. Also don't expect to actually eat on your lunch break, they make it impossible because they took away the break/lunch room and turned into a storage room.
management doesn’t care.
Head Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORApril 27, 2016
In short: management doesn’t care.

- We are short staffed, but those of us who could and want to work more are not allowed to because of the 29 hours rule. It is nearly impossible to find a substitute anymore, so we are forced to skip out on vacations or appointments because we’re all at hours.

- There is not nearly enough training time for any position. Lifeguards should be allowed to have training time to practice their rescue skills on a regular basis.

- We watch behavior among full-time staff that would easily get a part-time staffer fired, and that’s frustrating since they’re supposed to be our mentors and role models.

- Staff who cannot perform certain lifeguard skills are often just told they need to work harder to master the skill. It is rarely readdressed, and they often continue to make the same mistake or are weak at the same skill every inservice. I’m not comfortable with about half of my coworkers’ skills and don’t want to think about what may happen in an emergency.
Overall I loved working at THPRD. It was a great first job for me and allowed to me meet amazing people and gain strong working experience
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Beaverton and Tualatin OregonFebruary 20, 2015
A typical day at work as a THPRD lifeguard started with setting up the pool. As a lifeguard I was responsible for keeping the pool safe and preparing it for the community. Throughout the day I was required to keep people safe around the pool. This introduced me to millions of different people. I learned how to work with different children and adults. By the end of the day I would teach swim lessons. This was a great opportunity for me because I love children and was able to teach and educate them how to swim and be safe around water. It felt good to know that I was helping the community and benefiting peoples lives. Management was good at keeping things organized. I ended up being managed by the same people who trained me to be a lifeguard so I had gained a really good relationship with them after working for them for so long. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the hours. Hours were sometimes random and it would of been nice to have a consistent schedule. The most enjoyable part was the people I worked with. I developed really good friendships and relationships with all different types of people from different backgrounds. Most of my coworkers and I are still friends. .
Pros
Got to work with positive people, and children.
Cons
short breaks, long hours
It was a fun place to work at one time, but not anymore
Park Maintenance Tech I (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJanuary 22, 2015
It used to be a fun place to work a lot of good people I have worked with,but things have drastically changed it seems that a lot of people in management positions only care about themselves and are worried about what people think above them.
Pros
I yuost yo get a lot more free food in the begining, but was to busy in the end
Cons
Eliminating depatments, moving people around to much, threating people