Tubular Steel, Inc. Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Executives knew every employee by name.
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Creve Coeur, MOApril 10, 2018
Most days were routine. I learn two different computer systems. I worked on the freight, the material and misc. invoices. I worked with vendors from many different locales. It was a family owned business and had the feel of a family working together. The long drive in rush hour traffic. Feeling that the job I was doing was important and that I was good at it.
Pros
Fun company activities.
Cons
Long drive.
I learned a lot of different skills.
Sales Correspondence (Former Employee) –  Westmont, ILMarch 19, 2018
I enjoyed my job, however, sales went down, and sadly our office had to be downsized. The other Secretary there was there longer, and I had to be let go. I would recommend if you get the chance to work there, the people are nice, and easy to work with. And, you get treated with respect.
Pros
Friendly environment, decent pay and benefits.
Cons
Possible lay off.
Satellite office weren't given the same treatment as HQ
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairless Hills, PAMarch 8, 2018
HQ is in Missouri where the cost of living is lower than the west or east coast. They compensated based on an average which worked out for people at HQ but not the satellite offices.
Pros
The team at my office was great!
Cons
Low pay
A good place to work
Certified Driver in the Pettibone and Forklift (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXFebruary 8, 2018
its a good place to work and good benefits, only down side is its not in a controlled environment unless your inside the warehouse, the over head crane is a bit outdated but does the job.
Just making my 40 hours
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Katy, TXOctober 17, 2017
Worst place I've ever worked in. You got 3 guys working out of a tiny office and tiny shop that smells bad. Always urinating right outside the door making it smell bad. Everything has to be done outside in the daily element of the weather with no cover or protection what so ever. The other 2 service technician are the laziest people. They don't believe in teamwork.
They have total disregard for safety and one of them is constantly smoking everywhere inside and outside the shop regardless of all the flammable container around him. No overtime. I have brought all this up to management but they don't care.
Pros
50 minute lunch
Cons
Health Ins is expensive.
Adquieres mucha experiencia
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston texasSeptember 4, 2017
la definición gratitud y agradecimiento lo llenan todo.
Pros
Seguro gastos médicos mayores
Cons
aveces no había guantes.
stressful working conditions
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Hazelwood, MOAugust 15, 2017
required to work long hours in extreme temperatures. Had insane deadlines to meet at the last minute. Have to join union. Required to work evening and weekends
Pros
union benefits
Cons
hot dirty work conditions
Great place to learn
Executive Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Rialto, CAMay 25, 2016
Tubular gives you all of the tools to be a successful salesperson. They have very knowledgable product managers but tend to want to control all aspects of pricing. You learn how to sink or swim.
Pros
You learn a lot
Cons
poor pay
Great Company
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 30, 2015
Excellent employer, stable, industry leader, high level of integrity, fair, employees are a valued asset, great deal of knowledge and respect in the market place.
A great and stable place to work.
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St Louis MOOctober 9, 2014
I worked in the Logistics team, moving truckloads of steel tubing from vendors to our factories and from our factories to our customers.
Great place if you like sales and want to stay in one place forever
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  STLSeptember 10, 2014
As a new account manager you are required to make a certain amount of calls and prospect for new business while also hitting your sales goal each month after one year. A typical day you would make a half dozen calls then you would reply to any quotes you might have later on you would follow up on the quotes trying to land the sale. As a new person expect to land 1 out of 10 quotes, you will land them because the customer could not find it anywhere else. The steel buyers at the company want you to sell but only at their prices so do not expect much help from them. What I have learned about this place is relationships matter sometimes more than the bottom dollar. Management is overall pretty good compared to other places but they will hold you accountable during the monthly review. The hardest part about this job is selling at higher margins with longer lead times versus the competition.The majority of the orders a new person will get is from customers that can not find a specific size. The best part about the job is the relationships you will make with your co-workers and a small fraction of your customers.
Pros
Good place to work, great co-workers, good benefits, 40hrs
Cons
low base pay, zero customers to start off with, challenging pricing vs comp
good starter company
Top Saw Operator (Current Employee) –  Katy, TXOctober 24, 2013
this is a good company to start a career in and learn to get some experience under your belt to move up
A good company to work for
Band saw Operator and Order Handler (Former Employee) –  fairless Hills, PaOctober 4, 2013
This was a company that I enjoyed working for. The people, including co-workers and management were very helpful
Great Company
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXAugust 20, 2013
Great Company to work for, ready enjoyed working with the branch team.
A place that values hard work and good attitudes
Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  Katy, TXJune 27, 2013
5 AM arrival time, day consits of filling orders for cutting or straight length orders. Loading and unloading of trucks. Proper attention to paperwork to ensure correct maintenace of inventory.
An awewome company to work for!
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Creve Coeur, MOJune 21, 2013
Great people, great management, company has no debt and has been going strong for over 50 years.
Don't Bother
National Accounts Manager (Former Employee) –  Rialto, CAJuly 17, 2012
Do you like working in an environment where you have to watch your back? Do you like seeing people with no talent being advanced because they know how to lick boots? Well then this is the place for you.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
productive and hardworking place
Band saw operator (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXMay 30, 2012
stood on my feet for 10+ hours. co workers were very quiet. the hardest parts of the day is the beginning..just trying to get started.