Tucson Unified School District

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction

Good place to Sub

I liked working here because there was a lot of flexibility and always a lot of jobs available for subbing. I was also able to get a long term subbing job offered by the principal.

Multiple layers of beauracrats

Never a dull moment. We try to keep a routine for the students because they need and function best with it. Multi layered beauracrats. Money is the bottom line for the district.. Culture is very leftist. Critical Race Theory under the name of (CRC) Teachers Union etc and employee wishes and parents wishes for their kids not important at school board level. Hardest part of the job is seriously understaffed and battling group think . Free thinkers not welcome. Most important and enjoyable part of the job is the relationship and growth you experience with the students. It should always be about the students first. Not money. Not politics.

Pros

Helping The students

Cons

It's all about the Federal money the district gets for keeping the students masked, Very unhealthy and physically and psychologically abusive, Understaffed and dangerous at times for staff and students, Prepare for forced " vaccines"

Great People to work with!

Great job, I loved my many years working there. I felt part of a family. Very interesting people to work with. I felt appreciated. Would strongly recommend.

Pros

Stability

Cons

Low pay

Good Place to Work

I was a substitute teacher and I had a lot of really good experiences at TUSD. Every school is different, but I was offered long-term subbing jobs multiple times based off of my interactions with the kids. The pay for subs is actually matching or better than what is offered at the major school districts in Phoenix so that's a plus.

Pros

Lots of jobs

Cons

Schools aren't always in the best areas

TUSD hires retired people that still have a lot to offer the community

I love the district and love their leadership team. TUSD hires retired people and gives them the opportunity to contribute feeling great about still being useful to the community and it's youth

Pros

Great Hours

Cons

No covered by insurance since I have medicare

Share your experience

Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.

Productive environment

I loved my job at the schools. There are some hard days but overall, rewarding. There are plenty of opportunities to get promoted. It's a good place to work if you value teamwork.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Rigid schedule

It's a good public school system.

I have worked for tusd for over 20 years. It has its ups and downs. More ups than downs. Much of climate depends on the current administrator. Pay is better than most districts.

Dissatisfied

Nurses are assigned 3 or more schools, You will work with a health assistant at each school. If you are lucky, like I was with a couple of mine, you will never ever want to leave!!Management gives you the impression that they are going to be supportive of you through any situation, especially a pandemic school year! Believe me, never knowing what was going to happen one week to the next, is very unsettling when you are dealing with not only students, but staff and families! However, eventually you will see their true colors. Then watch your back because they do not have it!!Health services needs a complete makeover! If you want to keep your sanity, DO NOT WORK HERE!There are other school districts where you are actually respected and treated with kindness!

Pros

Depending on the school, amazing support staff

Cons

Terrible management and unkind supervisors

Not great

Very political atmosphere and very cliquish. I want to be a teacher, not a babysitter. The administration was helpful and kind at first but quickly became unhelpful and demanding.

Pros

You get a paycheck

Cons

The pay is minimal for the “off the clock” work that is expected.

It is a public school district

Enjoyed the families but not the district policies.It is a typical teacher experience.Children can be a joy to work with.There are extracurricular activities to join in.

Pros

summers off

Cons

expectations

Disappointing work culture

Worst pay scale, overworked, understaffed, Egocentrism driven, horrible work culture, nasty political environment, IT management lacks of efficient planning.This causes overwhelming work loads for IT Field technicians. Don’t waste your time working for TUSD.

Pros

Place for beginners

Cons

Horrible Culture

Avoid this place!

TUSD is a hot mess. I have never worked at a school district as disorganized and unprofessional. The pay sucks, and you are treated like a number here.

Pros

Na

Cons

Everything!

School Site was great, but District is a mess

I enjoyed my time at my specific school site within the district. However the TUSD itself is very mismanaged and changes what it wants year to year which can be frustrating. Site, coworkers, and principal at my location were absolutely amazing and felt very lucky to have them

Needs improvement

This district has many issues but also many great team members. New administration has been helpful, but many schools stuck in the old way of teaching.

I can't hardly want to get to school so i can see my students and start lunch and go to recess.

What stands out to me are the students. They are so different but so the same. They are kids and they need help growing up and i want to be there to help them to do that.The bad part is not having enough funds and teachers have to buy things out of pocket.

Pros

Lunch are a waste student throw alot of it away. They need food that the students are goi g to eat.

Under paid and over worked

TUSD under pays and over works its employees but then so do all school districts. However, TUSD is very unfair towards school counselors especially if they do not have a teaching certificate. Counselors must have a MA for their job and yet make less then teachers. They also don’t compensate for the additional days you must work in the summer by not including that time in your contract. Thus, you work for an hourly wage that is much lower then your salaried hourly wage and not one dime goes toward your retirement. And if you don’t have a teaching certificate, NO 301 money which means even less pay. Go work anywhere else. This district is a MESS!

Pros

Rodeo days off

Cons

Too high of a ratio, terrible medical benefits, low pay

Large bureaucratic organization

Like any large company, you can find pockets of greatness and areas of toxicity. The hardest part of the job is finding the right supervisor to allow you to grow and succeed, The most enjoyable part of the job is working with students and families that need your support.

Benefits

Benefits are good not the best but good. Some of the benefits you have to pay a lot for and if you only make little to no money you can work 40+ hours a week but some of the benefits cost you more. So the more you make in over time the more they take and the pay is very low for a blue collar worker. Not worth it... go elsewhere

Pros

good medical

Cons

poor pay

Worst district to work y

TUSD has no concern for their employees. Management doesn’t care about employees, nor do they back their employees. DO NOT WORK THERE!!! There is bias and rasism, along with the feeling of purposely being left out of conversation and is just unpleasant to work at. Not only do coworkers not hep one another, they will say things behind your back to undermine you job.

Flexible work schedule nice people

If your planning to teach then keep moving I only recommend the better performing schools districts in Tucson Arizona because the underperforming TUSD schools far outnumber the few decent schools. An employee at TUSD compared TUSD to a 3rd World country he said things go in and never come out. No demands for accountability weak leadership and curriculum. Teachers have some support but I met teachers quitting at end of school year.

Pros

Paid days off, schedule, people, no dress code

Cons

Low pay, benefits of no use, lack of PD

working with the kids!!!!

I enjoy working with the kids and the people I work with!!!! I also appreciate the teamwork!!!! I do like having the weekends and holidays off!!!! I have worked in food service for 30 plus years and I enjoy working in this field!!!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tucson Unified School District. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

1.3
InHerSight Score
1.6Personal Development
1.3Career Opportunities
1.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight