Tulare County Office Of Education Employee Reviews

Loved the Kids, but the workers were terrible
Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Tulare, CAMay 26, 2019
I first started out as a substitute aide. I took the Instructional Aide test that was introduced to me by a past coworker and had got hired on as a Sub aide for Special Ed. Which really took me by surprise because I was never informed about that, even my coworker was surprised. I had no prior work experience but I absolutely loved the kids. The management is incredibly terrible. They would not hire on full-time because they did not want to pay health insurance so we were given the option to stay a part-time, 3.5 hour/5 days per week worker or a part-time 6hour/4 days worker. Although the pay wasn't bad, you were making too much for medical support and too little to even afford your own health insurance coverage. Again, the management and team work here was absolutely terrible. I worked at a center and the amount of drama and gossip that took place at work was ridiculous. The secretaries would get upset over anything! They got upset at me before for using the door stopper to hold the door for one of my severely handicap student....WOW. The supervisors we got, changed every year and they were terrible. You would go to them about an issue involving how poorly a class teacher was performing in class or treating the students and they would just turn a blind eye! One of the supervisors told me that we were just aides, not the class teacher so we had no say! WOW! I also asked my supervisor to switch me into a different class that did not consist of lifting and changing due to my back taking a toll for the last couple of years and she said there were no more available positions BUT  more... she gave one of the other employees that position I had asked for! The kids are definitely not priority to this company at all which is extremely sad and messed up since most of them do not have a voice to speak up about some of the mistreatment they receive from employees here. All I got to say is, if you're an aide, you are seen as nothing but a slave. Your opinions do not matter since you do not hold a teaching degree. My day at this place consists of changing diapers and just sitting around while the class teacher stayed in her office "prepping" doing "laundry for 10-20 minutes, drama, and having to do all of the teacher's share of duties because she was too busy talking to the secretaries. She would not like it when we would share some ideas on what kind of activities to do with the kids to help them learn. Yea, they are Special Ed but they still have the ability to learn and enjoy their life. Why strip that away from them and treat them like fragile sick kids who can do nothing but sleep all day? Ridiculous. And boy do these teachers talk bad about theses kids and their parents as if the kids can't understand! SUCH A TOXIC ENVIRONMENT! Would never recommend this place to anyone.  less
Pros
Kids are amazing
Cons
health insurance, management, toxic environment, Everything
Fun work place
Per school (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAApril 23, 2019
Enjoy working with staff had a lot of fun with the children Tiffany’s mail time outside playtime Open house was great awesome getting to know a lot of families.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
10 minutes breaks
Guest/Substitute Teacher Experience
Substitute/Guest Teacher (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CAApril 9, 2019
I have had no problems with anyone in this County Office of Education. They inform you in a timely manner when documents need renewing. Paychecks arrive in a timely manner and auto deposit is an option for quick payment. Errors with individual districts submitting days worked for pay and pay corrections are done in a timely manner.
Volunteer Position
Light Board Operator (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAApril 6, 2019
I worked here as a volunteer so I can't comment on the Salary or Benefits of this job. I love the supervisors and it's a great company to work with. It is definitely an atmosphere of hard work and dedication, so expect to stay late and work hard to help put the shows together
Fun interacting with children and assisting parents.
RECORD'S CLERK (Former Employee) –  Cutler, CADecember 2, 2018
Students always cheerful and happy to see you. I loved being able to be of assistance to parents. As needed I was also called to assist in the classroom. I knew what needed to be done and the time lines that needed to be met.
Temporary position
Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Porterville, CANovember 30, 2018
Was a little too slow for my taste. I worked four months due to temporary position. I did apply for permanent position only because my coworkers were very friendly
Busy and demanding
Education Specialist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Porterville, CAOctober 31, 2018
Always something to do to meet goals. Overall staff worked well together and management interacted with all staff. Always training & support to learn.
Seniority
Instructional Assistant/SH (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAOctober 15, 2018
After working close to 17 years for the TCOE, I learned seniority was not a word in their dictionary. I applied for full-time jobs numbers of times but never got hired. They hired new people that never worked for TCOE yet. I even saved a choking child's life in a school cafeteria. You think they would want to hire someone who shows they know what they are doing!
Pros
M-f
Cons
"Seniority"
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tulare County, CAOctober 10, 2018
I mostly interact with the school districts directly. However, whenever I have been to the main office during my application process. I found every employee I interacted with to be kind and knowledgeable.
Pros
Friendly people, relaxing atmosphere, strong work ethic.
Cons
None that I am aware of.
It was a good place to work.
Behavioral Analyst (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAAugust 23, 2018
WEll organized, good co-works, good help with the job.
would go to the office get your stuff ready for the day.
go out to the sites and work with your kid.
depending on your caseload, was on how much time you spent everywhere and with who.
Pros
the joy
Cons
the driving
Positive Work Environment
Intern (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CA 93291August 17, 2018
A typical day of work is helping other with whatever they may need. I've learned so much! I've learned many different types of computer software. Everyone is friendly and helpful. I love when we have leftover food after meetings and we get to eat it, I dislike washing dishes after meetings. Great work environment.
Pros
Flexible Schedules
Cons
Little amount of hours
Ambiente de trabajo agradable
Behavior Totur (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 12, 2018
Tener en cuenta el tiempo de transporte para llegar a las citas a tiempo.
Buena presentation.
Crear un ambiente de confianza con el niño que va a darle la terapia.
Tener metas claras para desarrollarlas , según el estado de animo del niño o niña.
Communicacion directa con su supervisor.
Llevar los informes al día.
Good work
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAJuly 19, 2018
Working for TCOE was rewarding and I got to meet different types of people and personalities. It was hard but all you need for this type of work is passion.
Pros
Good work
Cons
Travel
Education & Helping Professions
Multiple Positions (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CAJuly 2, 2018
You should love kids if you work in education because at the end of that day its all for the kids. Legalities become guidelines for your daily routine. Every day is another step to help the students get from one place to the next--academically & physically. Being a staff member, whether you are support staff in the nutrition department or a teacher in the classroom, you play an important role in providing a supportive learning environment. Every role is there to help the kids have opportunities to learn and thrive which in return creates purpose in your work.
The work environment was great and individuals where always willing to help
Course Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAJune 25, 2018
I enjoyed facilitating drug and alcohol courses in the school system. It was great to interact with youth that varied from elementary to a high school level. I would travel from school to school and implement a course describing information that encouraged youth not to use drugs or alcohol. The courses entailed anger management, dealing with stress, dangers of tobacco, dangers of marijuana, social media and peer interaction.
Pros
Flexibility, no micromanagement, control of facilitating courses and
Cons
Unfortunately, the hours varied and it was difficult to have a steady income.
Over all was an awesome place to work.
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAJune 22, 2018
Enjoyed working in the community where is was raised. Work well with co works, supervisor and I had an excellent work relationship. Enjoined what I did on a daily basis even when changes were made, worked well with no supervision.
Pros
Work schedule
Cons
Only part time
Typical business office
Health Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAMay 3, 2018
A typical day was extremely busy and very stressful. The job was very demanding and extremely confidential. My office was a team based environment. The pay and benefits were extremely good.
benefits
Cons
stress level
Excellent and collaborative employer
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Central Valley, CAApril 6, 2018
I have enjoyed working for TCOE and would work full time given the opportunity. The management is organized and the communication is top notch. I appreciate this as an employee.
Pros
Flexibility and working environments.
Cons
Lack of ability to obtain requirements to advance. (i.e. schooling v. experience).
Tight on hours and pay
Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CAMarch 19, 2018
The atmosphere is nice and welcoming. The pay per hour is not bad, but we are not given any paid time off. They don't even give us paid sick leave, which to my knowledge is a requirement for any employer in California.
Rewarding work
Bright Start/FACES Behavior Tutor (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAJanuary 22, 2018
Most of the supervisors are very nice and understanding. They work with your schedule well, I was able to balance work and a full time school schedule. The work is challenging but very rewarding. You are paid well, however, you are considered temporary/part time with a yearly limit on how many hours you can work. They do not hire anyone full time for this position and do not offer benefits so it is not a long term job.
Pros
Flexible schedule, good hours, fair wages, etc.
Cons
No benefits, no option for full time