Tulsa Public Schools Employee Reviews

Can be very stressful but others can make it that way.
Classroom teacher grades (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 11, 2018
Overall great for helping and making a difference and establishing some good working relationships. There are some really sharp, ambitious people. Very intelligent.
Great work place relaxed
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 20, 2018
Great place to learn from the older employees that has even working there for years

Family environment and just laid back and if you love kids and have patience then it was the right place for you
Pros
Around the youth
Cons
No paid vacation
training correctly in a kitchen setting
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 16, 2018
growth and learning to work with different cultures and backgrounds of people, training new employee that have never work in a kitchen,it more like a class room teaching employee about different vegetables that may or may not go with a balanced meal,teaching how to potion out the correct portion on food learning employees the correct use of storing food and temping food correctly.
Pros
working with children
Cons
n/a
Low pay and high stress/ no respect
Elementary Teacher (Math/Reading) (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 4, 2018
If you're a new teacher, turn and run as fast as you can and never look back at Tulsa Public Schools! This job/school district will suck the life/soul/spirit out of you and you'll never get ahead. Unless you already don't have a life. Tulsa Public Schools expect you to be married to your teaching job and not have a life outside of school.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Jump through a bunch of hoops
Tulsa Schools Summary
Logistics Officer (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 31, 2018
I was able to move up in position because of hard work and willingness to work overtime. Some weeks over 60 hrs. They like the willing but no pay increases and the management do not listen to the staff when it comes to what is needed in the district. the district suffered because of this lack of communication. they increase work load and do not increase pay to compensate.

i.e. managers do not get a bump in pay for being a manager.
Pros
insurance for my family
Cons
No increase of pay with added work load.
Fun most of the time
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 22, 2018
This Survey was based on being a Sub. When I worked as a Secretary, it was a totally different atmosphere. Working in the Substitute position, I can move around to different Sites or choose to Sub at only one.
Pros
I can pick my days and school I want to work.
Cons
Pays not that great for what's expected.
Helping kids of our future
Parra (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 19, 2018
Dealing with kids of todays society is very chanllenging. I feel that the school system could compensate the teacher and staffs that working with our future.
Pros
Helping kids
Cons
Not enough pay
Enjoyed my time at TPS
Reading Interventionist (Former Employee) –  Sequoyah ElementaryAugust 13, 2018
I worked part time and enjoyed my job there as a tutor for elementary students. I Loved the students,
faculty and atmosphere at Sequoyah. My job was cut due to lack of funds.
Pros
Part time
Cons
Lack of funding
Doing Their Best Against the Odds
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 8, 2018
Despite the way in which the state of Oklahoma treats education and educators, brave and talented individuals show up daily for Tulsa Public Schools. They dedicate their time and money for the betterment of their community.
Enjoyable depending on your site
Gateway to Technology Instructor (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 1, 2018
The culture at Tulsa Public Schools can vary, I was lucky to be at 2 pretty good schools where the staff got along and would meet up outside of school and socialize.. The structure can be a little messy sometimes, 2 different times i was going to be moved to different site in the 3 years i was there. The pay is tough to live on with owning a house and other living expenses
Fast paced
Child Nutrition (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 1, 2018
Fast paced, sometimes a bit chaotic. Management is appreciative, as much as possible. There is a HUGE language barrier and it sometimes feels as tho there is a preference to the Hispanic culture that is employed by TPS.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Free lunches
Urban District with Great Potential, Underfunded
Second Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 14, 2018
Tulsa Public Schools is a great district with exemplar leadership. However, the demands and requirements for a public school teacher does not align with its compensation. Teachers work many hours beyond the contracted schedule. The best part of working in TPS for three years were my school staff and students. The hardest parts of the job are the salary, understaffing and difficult behavior issues (prevalent across the district).
Pros
Colleagues, students, contract hours, summer off
Cons
Salary, understaffing, student behavior
Like most large organizations. It's not what you know, but who you know.
Senior-Junior High School Principal (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 5, 2018
Good old boy organization. Not a favorable organization for black males. Prefers to promote from outside of the organization. Values outsiders rather than local employees.
no room to grow
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 28, 2018
Its not always what you know at Tulsa Public Schools its who you know if you see yourself moving up to better yourself then find a different district.
A lot of the students did not respect staff or law enforcemnt.
Gang Resistance Education And Training Instructor (Former Employee) –  31st and New Haven; Tulsa, OkJune 23, 2018
Students made it extremely difficult to keep peace in a learning facility. Violations committed by students were not enforced properly to ensure that all students were given the opportunity to learn.
Pros
Being able to assist staff and students meet their goals in and enviroment that was pleasant..
Cons
The lack a support in providing a cohesive atmosphere for learning.
Important mission
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 20, 2018
Everyone who works in the district believes in the mission of educating children. There are volunteer days where district office employees can get involved with the schools in a hands on manner.
Pros
PTO and Sick days
Cons
Long hours, high expectation, constant change, chaotic
Working with Deaf/Special Needs
Para Educator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 9, 2018
This job was very rewarding in alot of aspects but pay was not enough to live off of for 1 person economically. Helping children learn and communicate in ways they never new how was very rewarding for my heart. Helping teach children with Autism, ADHD, ADD, Deaf, Blind is a special kind of job.
Pros
progress in a childs life
Cons
Compensation
fun and creative
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 5, 2018
I learned to be flexible & teachable. worked closely with families to ensure students progress. Leant to collaborate with others for the betterment of students futures success.
Love McClure
Kindergarten Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 28, 2018
I love working at McClure and I don't teach in this state for the money I teach for the love of it! I'm sad to change majors but I will forever love my McFamily
Motivating a child
Teachers Assistance (Former Employee) –  Tulsa County, OKMay 24, 2018
i enjoyed the time that I spent with the children especially in our small group time that gave me a chance to see what task or subject the child struggled with the most and it was my duty to come up with a way that the child could fully comprehend the lesson so he or she would not be intimidated by the lesson but would overcome it and conqueror it.
Pros
Interacting with the children
Cons
unreasonable wages, unprofessional co-workers, and no health benefits