Tulsa Public Schools Employee Reviews

Substitute teaching varies in schools and subjects
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OK 74114May 14, 2018
Substitute teaching allows you to teach in many different schools and situations. You teach many subjects so your knowledge needs to be broad. You may find that you are dealing with social issues rather than teaching.
Stressful fast paced environment with well intentional management
PreKindergarten - Grade 6 FA Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 11, 2018
Being an educator in the State of Oklahoma is not something I would recommend to anyone at this time.
Overall, while intent is good, overall this is an exhausting, frustrating and thankless job.
Pros
working with children from all socioeconomic levels
Cons
Pay and benefits are under national standards
Great District
Special Education and Student Services (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 7, 2018
A fairly new position that was very rewarding. I assisted in special education for the whole district. The staff was great and the benefits were good.
Tulsa Public Schools
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 6, 2018
I work for an elementary school and I love it. I work in a multiple disability room with a few other paraprofessionals and a lead teacher. We all get along and work really well together and that makes the day go by fast. It is an amazing experience to watch each individual child grow throughout the year.
I was working under a government grant
AVID Tutor (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 28, 2018
The whole experience was life changing. I learned as I worked. The lessons that I tutored were benifical in reapplying into my college studies. It was an overall amazing experience,
Enjoyed the student.
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 25, 2018
Helped the students and faculty with their library needs.
Figured out by talking with the students their interest, by doing so, I was able to direct them to books they would actually read and enjoy.
Pros
Helping children.
Cons
Putting books where they belonged.
Very productive and receive training all the time and learn new things
Campus Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 25, 2018
I had nothing but good experience working for tulsa public schools. There is always great hours working for the schools and police chief and assistant chief are always there to listen and lead the department in training. Active shooter, safety, etc...
Pros
Working any and all athletic events for overrtime
Cons
Less hours in the summertime but still work
Tough district
1st Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 17, 2018
Coming from only knowing suburban schools, TPS was a major shift for me. Students rarely stayed long enough to see any growth, many teachers were sour and needed to find a new career, principals were hit or miss in their support for staff, and kids that were kicked out of one school for violent offenses were moved to the next closest school where they were immediately enrolled.
Pros
Almost anyone can get a job
Cons
all the good teachers leave
A fair place to teach
Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 15, 2018
Working in this school system can be good if you choose the right school. Management at my school was better than most. There are only a couple of schools I would consider working at, and the rest have too many discipline problems and an inadequate management staff to handle it. For the high school I worked at the climate was positive, and staff was not too bad. I give it a positive rating, but not a great rating. The most enjoyable part of the job was the kids. For the most part, they were great and fun to be around.
Pros
Principal
Cons
subordinate staff, pay scale, long hours
Don't do it!
Senior Purchasing AP Tech (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 10, 2018
I would not work here again. The culture is cutthroat, the people are back stabbers, and they have the mentality of, "If it ain't broke don't mess with it!"
Workplace
Customer Services Assistant/ interpreter (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 30, 2018
I learned manage the students and parents with difficult personal issues. I learned how monitors students. the hardest things for the job is seeying kids with some problems. I enjoyed helping the office about to update the files for each classroom
Cons
salary is too low
Fun place to work
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 29, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Tulsa Public Schools. The main issue is the salary. I was barely making ends meet. Also their benefits are not so great. It was too expensive. And as a support staff employee, I was not paid during any breaks. So that means no income during the summer, winter, or spring break.
It is a good a reliable place to work.
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 26, 2018
Disipline is becoming a problem. Children do not respect the teachers so it is harder to do your job because you have to deal with all the problems. It is starting to feel more like babysitting.
Pros
Get nice time off
Cons
Most of the time off is not paid.
Stressful and lack of support from higher ups
Elementary Art Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 19, 2018
While my job is certainly not terrible, I am looking to try something different. The students have lots of behavior issues and the support from the district is lacking.
Pros
Working with kids, around people, I like my co-workers
You must love kids
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 15, 2018
The Kids were my life. I can not think of anything I want to do more than to help mold the future of these kids. The money is horrible the work is stressful but it's all worth it in the end.
Pros
Bringing Joy to kids lives
Cons
The drama, heartache and stress
teacher
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 10, 2018
worked for 5 weeks for a special program. was whatever. was working for a few days teaching literature and later went to seminars to improve myself. Good time.
was a summer job in the heat
Grounds Worker (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 8, 2018
working at tps in the summer was mildly difficult. it would get hot while working the two schools a day schedule,but i think in the long run it was beneficial i learned a lot about lawn care that i wont be learning in school. it also gives you a taste of working in the heat, next time around will be easier. great experience and leadership.
Substitute Teacher Experience
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 8, 2018
I enjoy aiding teachers when they have to be absent. I enjoy working with the children who were there to learn. The Principal's Secretary at Rogers High School is fabulous and makes these enjoyments exceptional.
Pros
Teaching children
Cons
No benefits
Stressful
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 6, 2018
I quickly learned that you have to be a certain type of person to handle a job with Tulsa public schools. It's not necessarily any of the staff members, but the culture these kids are surrounded by outside of school.
Tps
Project Manager - Project lead (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 28, 2018
Great people, laid back environment. Looking to make improvements. Look for contractor feedback and input. Leaders work to knock down barriers to keep projects moving.
Pros
Good atmospher
Cons
Challenged to adopt new processes