Tulsa Public Schools
Happiness rating is 63 out of 100

Tulsa Public Schools Employee Reviews

United States344 reviews

Good job

Teaching is not the hard part, but adapting to all the changes the organization make it difficult. Make sure you choose a school in the district where you feel the principals will encourage and help you in your career.

Typical public school challenges

Some of the individual teachers at my school are really responsible for helping me feel like I belong and for encouraging me. Unfortunately I know those feelings can be lacking if you are not surrounded by a good team. We struggle with the demands of curriculum and pacing. Unfortunately, the district recently has discouraged any wavering from the curriculum (including supplementing resources into your instruction or teaching the concept in what you see is the best way). That is frustrating to deal with especially when you can see it doesn't meet all of the needs of the students. I do appreciate that they offer additional paid professional development. Its a good opportunity for learning and to get a little extra on your check. They also have put an emphasis on the value of diversity and implementing that into classroom instruction.

I was able to grow

I was able to grow and take on different roles. Good healthcare. Great work/life balance. The pandemic changed things. Would still want to be there if they hadn’t moved me to a position I wasn’t certified in. Enjoyed teaching the kids, grateful to have multiple opportunities.

Nonproductive and stagnate- no growth

Consistent pay check. But favors friends over quality employees. Hires impressive people then no application in the work place. If a person would like to stay in 1 position for a long time with a steady pay check then this is a great place for that.

Pros

School schedule and spending time with your own family

Left because of COVID

I was a second grade teacher and the work was rewarding but demanding. Ultimately, I decided that it would not be worth teaching a second year during a pandemic

A good challenging place to work if you are older.

I learned a lot about the different methods of teaching during the Pandemic. This position prepared me for my next position. It was not easy, but it was possible to transition from Industry to being a Physics teacher at the school where I taught.

Pros

Management seems to accept older teachers, and teachers who are coming from industry for a career change, My background was a fit for the subject matter.

Cons

Low pay, like that for all teachers. Some classes were a challenge because of large class size.

Fair benefits, no work/life balance, blaming and micromanagement, no purpose - just pleasing those at the top, NOT diverse

There are some amazing people within TPS but they are not in management roles. There are some good benefits but the pay is not sufficient for the excessive hours expected to be worked. They claim to have purpose but to really succeed you have to be willing to work nonstop with no purpose and not push back or question when something is wrong. They are big on placing blame and finding fault rather than focusing on solutions to problems. Overall, there is push for numbers and pleasing those at the top more than taking care of the hardworking team members or actually affecting the families that they are supposed to be serving in the community. They are not diverse at all. You get good benefits but feel like you can almost never use them or take the time off needed. There are also no clear processes or forms of communication. They keep so many hands in one pot at all times. There is no training and if it were not for my peers who supported my start, I would have failed miserably from the start.

Pros

time off, coworkers who are not management

Cons

micromanaging, no opportunity for growth, no work/life balance, passive aggressive communication, disconnected from students, no training, no recognition, too many people have to make one decision, no diversity

This is a good place but teaching is hard any and everywhere!

TPS is very good place we need more Spanish speakers and people who can set up appropriate boundaries between work and life. Being a teacher is hard at any place but TPS is a good place!

Love the kids

I'm always moving and on the go. Office staff friendly and helpful to new teachers. Principal very friendly and kind. Paraprofessionals are a great help and support.

Pros

Great staff

Cons

Short lunches

N/a

They lie to you to get you to work for them. Wages are unfair and no work life balance. I would not recommend this job to anyone. They require you to pay for all of your certifications too with unfair wages.

Loved the kids

I loved working with the kiddos, but the public education system is broken through no fault of the educators. Literal sweat and tears go into trying to provide support and care for the kids in schools, but it isn't backed up by action or thought in the government.

Supportive Teaching Environment that Encourages Growth

While it differs from school to school, I found that TPS is supportive of teachers and their goals and development. Compensation is lacking for all teachers in the state, but this is mitigated by work life balance.

good place to work

I have been employed over 20 years with this company, great place to work.Good benefits if you're looking for stability and serious, it's the place to be. The job is not hard you just have to work smart.

Pros

Don't have anyone watching over you

Cons

makes it hard not having good help

Loved working with children

It was great being around children and their families. Few health insurances to choose from. Enjoyed time off when students were out on breaks but many of us struggled without pay, especially over the summer.

Pros

Few health insurances to choose from. Off when students were off- positive and negative (no pay)

Cons

Health Insurance for a family was expensive. No pay during Holiday, summer breaks.

Con Artists

Just avoid this place as much as possible. They tell you that you have 2 years to become certified; they will not keep their word on that. All they care about is capitalizing off the children and focusing less on their education.

Pros

Great Insurance

Cons

Everything else

Stressful

They don't pay enough and you don't get paid when the kids are not in school, most employees have to a second job just to keep afloat. The good thing is being able to be off at the same time as your kids.

Pros

Youre off with your kids, paid health insurance for employees

Cons

Overworked and underpaid, classrooms over crowded

Great crew, great management; opportunity for advancement.

I actually look forward to arriving at the job site Memorial High School is a wonderful community to be a part of. Whether, educational staff, or my crew members; it's just a great atmosphere.

Pros

Ha! sometimes the kitchen supervisor will give us sacks with sandwiches, fruit; and other treats. All of us there enjoy being of service to one another( like family).

Cons

e the benefits I desire.

Teacher's Assistant

Pretty good culture overall. Sometimes we'd have our schedules adjusted without prior notice, and that was bothersome, but other than that, it was an okay position.

Pros

Free lunches, benefits.

Cons

Inconsistency.

Top heavy school district where administration overworks and under appreciates teachers

I've worked in the district for over 20 years under several superintendents. The current superintendent does not appreciate teacher experience or autonomy.

Pros

Coworkers

Cons

No autonomy, poor curriculum, top heavy service center

The school I am currently working

The school I currently work at everyone is warming and friendly. when something happens to one person it is actually effective for all of us because we know their immediate families families and their children. I have made make a lot of good friends there. A school has their own environment this one has really made me a part of theirs.

Pros

Employees of TPS are a Family

Cons

Lack of communication.

Teacher Expectations are Unrealistically High

I worked at a school in TPS for 2 years. While working there, it was encouraging to see how much the district is attempting to increase transparency and education outcomes for students. However, the lack of resources and assistance in the classrooms makes these expectations unrealistic, overburdening teachers in the process. Until both teacher compensation and school funding is increased, these problems will not be successfully addressed in my opinion.

Common questions about Tulsa Public Schools

Answered by current and former employees at Tulsa Public Schools

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tulsa Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.8
InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
2.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight