Tulsa Public Schools Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Doing Their Best Against the Odds
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 8, 2018
Despite the way in which the state of Oklahoma treats education and educators, brave and talented individuals show up daily for Tulsa Public Schools. They dedicate their time and money for the betterment of their community.
Enjoyable depending on your site
Gateway to Technology Instructor (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 1, 2018
The culture at Tulsa Public Schools can vary, I was lucky to be at 2 pretty good schools where the staff got along and would meet up outside of school and socialize.. The structure can be a little messy sometimes, 2 different times i was going to be moved to different site in the 3 years i was there. The pay is tough to live on with owning a house and other living expenses
Fast paced
Child Nutrition (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 1, 2018
Fast paced, sometimes a bit chaotic. Management is appreciative, as much as possible. There is a HUGE language barrier and it sometimes feels as tho there is a preference to the Hispanic culture that is employed by TPS.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Free lunches
Urban District with Great Potential, Underfunded
Second Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 14, 2018
Tulsa Public Schools is a great district with exemplar leadership. However, the demands and requirements for a public school teacher does not align with its compensation. Teachers work many hours beyond the contracted schedule. The best part of working in TPS for three years were my school staff and students. The hardest parts of the job are the salary, understaffing and difficult behavior issues (prevalent across the district).
Pros
Colleagues, students, contract hours, summer off
Cons
Salary, understaffing, student behavior
Like most large organizations. It's not what you know, but who you know.
Senior-Junior High School Principal (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 5, 2018
Good old boy organization. Not a favorable organization for black males. Prefers to promote from outside of the organization. Values outsiders rather than local employees.
no room to grow
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 28, 2018
Its not always what you know at Tulsa Public Schools its who you know if you see yourself moving up to better yourself then find a different district.
A lot of the students did not respect staff or law enforcemnt.
Gang Resistance Education And Training Instructor (Former Employee) –  31st and New Haven; Tulsa, OkJune 23, 2018
Students made it extremely difficult to keep peace in a learning facility. Violations committed by students were not enforced properly to ensure that all students were given the opportunity to learn.
Pros
Being able to assist staff and students meet their goals in and enviroment that was pleasant..
Cons
The lack a support in providing a cohesive atmosphere for learning.
Important mission
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 20, 2018
Everyone who works in the district believes in the mission of educating children. There are volunteer days where district office employees can get involved with the schools in a hands on manner.
Pros
PTO and Sick days
Cons
Long hours, high expectation, constant change, chaotic
Working with Deaf/Special Needs
Para Educator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 9, 2018
This job was very rewarding in alot of aspects but pay was not enough to live off of for 1 person economically. Helping children learn and communicate in ways they never new how was very rewarding for my heart. Helping teach children with Autism, ADHD, ADD, Deaf, Blind is a special kind of job.
Pros
progress in a childs life
Cons
Compensation
fun and creative
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 5, 2018
I learned to be flexible & teachable. worked closely with families to ensure students progress. Leant to collaborate with others for the betterment of students futures success.
Love McClure
Kindergarten Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 28, 2018
I love working at McClure and I don't teach in this state for the money I teach for the love of it! I'm sad to change majors but I will forever love my McFamily
Motivating a child
Teachers Assistance (Former Employee) –  Tulsa County, OKMay 24, 2018
i enjoyed the time that I spent with the children especially in our small group time that gave me a chance to see what task or subject the child struggled with the most and it was my duty to come up with a way that the child could fully comprehend the lesson so he or she would not be intimidated by the lesson but would overcome it and conqueror it.
Pros
Interacting with the children
Cons
unreasonable wages, unprofessional co-workers, and no health benefits
Poor management
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 16, 2018
Our Teachers deserve higher pay and equal opportunity to move up in job advances. Also should have better supplies for students. Teachers should not have to supply them to students by themselves or without help from the state.
Substitute teaching varies in schools and subjects
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OK 74114May 14, 2018
Substitute teaching allows you to teach in many different schools and situations. You teach many subjects so your knowledge needs to be broad. You may find that you are dealing with social issues rather than teaching.
Stressful fast paced environment with well intentional management
PreKindergarten - Grade 6 FA Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 11, 2018
Being an educator in the State of Oklahoma is not something I would recommend to anyone at this time.
Overall, while intent is good, overall this is an exhausting, frustrating and thankless job.
Pros
working with children from all socioeconomic levels
Cons
Pay and benefits are under national standards
Great District
Special Education and Student Services (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 7, 2018
A fairly new position that was very rewarding. I assisted in special education for the whole district. The staff was great and the benefits were good.
Tulsa Public Schools
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 6, 2018
I work for an elementary school and I love it. I work in a multiple disability room with a few other paraprofessionals and a lead teacher. We all get along and work really well together and that makes the day go by fast. It is an amazing experience to watch each individual child grow throughout the year.
I was working under a government grant
AVID Tutor (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 28, 2018
The whole experience was life changing. I learned as I worked. The lessons that I tutored were benifical in reapplying into my college studies. It was an overall amazing experience,
Enjoyed the student.
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 25, 2018
Helped the students and faculty with their library needs.
Figured out by talking with the students their interest, by doing so, I was able to direct them to books they would actually read and enjoy.
Pros
Helping children.
Cons
Putting books where they belonged.
Very productive and receive training all the time and learn new things
Campus Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 25, 2018
I had nothing but good experience working for tulsa public schools. There is always great hours working for the schools and police chief and assistant chief are always there to listen and lead the department in training. Active shooter, safety, etc...
Pros
Working any and all athletic events for overrtime
Cons
Less hours in the summertime but still work