Turner's Outdoorsman Employee Reviews

Horrible pay. Fun job.
Sales, cashier (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAMarch 5, 2018
Ive been an employee and a customer. Ive known some of these guys for a long time now and the pay isnt right. It's a fun job but when you overwork and under pay employees who have worked for you for sometimes a decade, it really makes you realize what kind of company this is. Most of us make around $11 an hour, ive heard management gets a -couple- dollars more.. a dollar raise per permotion for most.. great side job but don't expect to pay the bills. Sometimes I feel bad for the workers because you can tell they genuinely enjoy working there but are struggling with the quality of life because of the pay. I hope the owners see this someday and realize how we feel working for them. You can move up in the company but most of us know better because the pay is such a joke.
Pros
Great discounts, access to company run events
Cons
Underpaid, fast paced, sometimes stressful, loads of paperwork
Good "hobby job". No respect for employees time. Managment recieves zero training, and thinks this retail job is a career.
Sales (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 17, 2018
I've worked here for a few years for fun. Lately I've found issue with the management being disrespectful to the employees, disrespecting the employees personal time, write ups are plentiful for the employees but not the management, and not being capable of performing their duties as a manager. Now my coworkers buy and large are very good people, and also work there for fun. Several of them I consider my friends. We do receive employee discounts but I've noticed that most of them are reduced in cost to suggested retail from the manufacturer. Ie the prices that everyone else pays are inflated. The gun selection is very good. The fishing department also has a very good selection. I think this will be my last year working here simply because of the issues with management.
Pros
Job security seems good.
Cons
Silly expectations of the employees, and drastically undertrained management.
Fast paced
Sales (Part time) (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaDecember 18, 2017
Great for a short to job, not much room for career advancement. Staff is always changing and management is not the best. Rude customers as well. Fine for short term.
learning experience
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Signal Hill, CAAugust 24, 2017
the customers for the most time are great. The actual job is easy requires alot of multitasking.management needs improvement. learned about different fishing and firearm rules and regulations.
High intensity and somewhat stressful work environment
Sales Associate, Fire Arms Dealer (Former Employee) –  Fountain Valley, CAJune 28, 2017
Working at Turners Outdoorsman, I worked with the department of justice. The work environment was extremely stressful and overall not a positive atmosphere. Working at Turners I gained a lot of knowledge about customer service and firearm regulations.
Enjoyed the work and the comrade ship..
Manager, Loss Prevention and Security (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAMay 11, 2017
Compensation was great, job security turned out to be zero. Internal inventories were not accurate, No plan for expansion or growth. Operations did not take suggestions or ideas from Loss Prevention/security kindly.
Pros
Enjoyed working with store employees and management.
Cons
Upper management found it difficult to understand store security issues.
Wonderful employees and customers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAMay 27, 2016
Very rarely did I get a difficult customer and my coworkers were very friendly.
I learned a lot about guns and how to work a cash register.
Management had it's issues but it seemed to improve a little when I left.
The hardest part of the job was when you would get a difficult customer and the line would build up and other customers would get frustrated while I was dealing with the difficult customer and trying my best to answer their questions and understand their concerns.
The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to talk to all the customers and hear a lot of funny things customers would tell me.
Pros
Fun environment, non-stressful
Cons
Little to no breaks if you didn't ask for one, do not train you well (only supervise as you watch other coworkers do the job)
Lack of Advancement
Administrative Assistant & License Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAJanuary 5, 2014
_Iwould answer phones, data entry, accounting, licensing,clerical work scheduling meeting, you name it I did it!

-I learned that with this particular company the more you gave the more they took from you without compensation or regonition.
They never wanted to increase my pay even though they utilized me throughout the office.

-Management was nice but was clearly using me.

-My co-workers were all nice and friendly to work with. Never had a problem with them. All of us got along!

-The hardest part of my job was trying to be placed in a department where I belonged.Instead of being bounced around from department to department.

-The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to be so veristile! No one could replace me.
Pros
Short drive to work.
Cons
lack of advancement
Very good at the retail store.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Fountain Valley, CADecember 12, 2013
Working at the warehouse was trying most times. Management left a lot to be desired but once at the retail store it was very good, top to bottom.
Fun work place.
Cashier, Customer (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAAugust 6, 2013
it is a fun place too work, you enjoy coming in too work on a day too day basis, the managers are strict but also laidback when the job is done right, ive learned so much about different weapons as well as fishing.I could not ask for better friendlier coworkers. the hardest part of the job is that you stand for long periods of time. the most enjoyable part is working with all the people i work with.
Productive work enviroment
Cashier/Gun Sales (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 21, 2012
-A typical day at work at Turners consist of getting the gun cases ready for sales. Make sure the store is stocked with products. Assist all customers with any questions asked.
- I learned so many things about various handguns, rifles, and shotguns. I learned how to keep track of special orders and how to take inventory on all the guns and other products in the store.
- Management was especially excellent. always worked around school schedules and other personal schedules. fun to work with.
- Hardest part of the job was remembering all the guns and which caliber ammunition goes with it and all the accessories.
- Most enjoyable part of the job was working with all the employees, everybody had a stand up attitude and all enjoyed working with each other. like a tight knit family.
Good company when I worked there (prior ownership)
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Chino, CAOctober 25, 2012
I worked for Turner's in the late 90's for 6 years and for the most part, enjoyed my time there. There were a lot of hours at the corporate level-- sometimes 85 hours a week (during store openings) and a lot of weekends. Store level employees are basically 40+ hrs./week.

For a purely hunting/fishing retailer we feel during our (the team I worked with) tenure there, we had the best group of stores and products anywhere--GM was an excellent leader and helped make the stores the best they could be. In the early 90's we were the number 17 retailer in the US in terms of volume (distribution included), prior to Cabela's, Bass Pro, and the "big box" chains.

Ownership has now changed, so I cannot speak for what it is like to work here now. Some employees I worked with, however, have gone on to other key positions within the industry.
Pros
access to great trips, decent pay and a fun culture.
Cons
long hours, typical retail issues, but overall better than some.