Tutor Doctor Employee Reviews

Choose a student and enjoy!
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAFebruary 20, 2019
Students and tutors are very suitable for each other in many ways - age, place, interests. Tutors have flexible hours and a good salary. Communication with management is always quick and effective. Being a member of this team is a pleasure!
Freedom and Flexibility
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 20, 2019
Tutor Doctors is fun and a great way for me to build relationships with parents and their children. It also allows me to build my resume for possible teaching position and that I can work a second job fitting my schedule around it. I feel like I'm running my own business the way it functions but I'm relieved of the stresses in the having to directly find the clients and negotiate the fees by myself. I feel comfortable knowing I'm not alone and my company leaders are very compassionate and do a great job giving suggestions and new tools to making my tutor career beneficial and efficient.
It is what you make it
Tutor Doctors (Tutor) (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAFebruary 10, 2019
Although there isn't too much room for upward mobility with this company there is a lot of freedom and flexibility. It is meant to be a part-time job with the ability to create your own schedule. The cons of this job are the fact that there is a lot of traveling involved with no reimbursement funding for the traveling expenses.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Lack of travel compensation
positive
other (Current Employee) –  Longmont, COJanuary 4, 2019
i like that communication is collaborative. I can pick my students to work with and it fits my schedule for good work/life balance. they place emphasis on student success with great tutor support
Flexible Schedule and Clear Communication with Management
Tutor/Teacher (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDDecember 12, 2018
The families I work with through Tutor Doctor have collaborated and communicated with me consistently in order to ensure that their children receive the academic support they need. I feel confident in the professionalism of my management and the company and believe they have my best interest in mind when making decisions regarding my assignments. While the driving I do for one of my families is somewhat extensive, I look forward to a promotion in the next few months that will alleviate the cost of travel and appreciate a schedule that allows me to work while attending school/training.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Long drives, less than 20 hours a week
A really rewarding place to work
Marketing Manager/Tutor (Current Employee) –  Lacey, WADecember 4, 2018
Tutoring can be a really rewarding line of work, but the hassle of finding and connecting with potential clients can make things really difficult.

During my time at Tutor Doctor I worked as both a Tutor and in the Marketing department, and I always loved how easy the system was for both the students and the tutors, as only had to list what they were looking for and availability, and tutors had a straightforward way to connect with and schedule meetings with their new students.

The only downside to the company was the franchise's treatment of franchise owners. I had worked for Tutor Doctor as part of the managerial team for two different franchise owners, and both had trouble financing the business on their own despite having a constant supply of happy clients and willing tutors. The franchise itself never seemed to do enough to support their franchise owners, and seemed to be more focused on charging them for the services they used than on helping the owners expand the business.
Pros
Great system and rewarding line of work, good support system for tutors
Cons
Lack of support for franchise owners
Flexible, fun and educational job
Tutor (Current Employee) –  TorontoNovember 14, 2018
Tutor Doctor is a flexible job that allows you to educate a student in a fun manner, which is also educational for yourself as you learn from the student and can practice your own teaching skills. Each session is typically an hour, and can be homework help or advanced work for the student. You have control over what you teach the kid, as long as you follow the curriculum, and you also grow a bond with the family as well, making it easy to communicate about the child’s progress, or reschedule, and connect to the family’s unique situations. It may be tough or slow to get enough hours, but overall it’s a great job that is very rewarding both personally and educationally for both you, the student, and the family!
Pros
Flexibility, Beverages upon arrival, educating self through teaching, bond with families, etc.
Cons
Limited hours, due to flexibility: may have cancellations
Your success is directly proportionate to the effort and care you put in.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  TennesseeNovember 8, 2018
Tutordoctor.com is an excellent company to work for! Education is where true change begins. Tutordoctor.com is committed to meeting each client where they are, takes the time to listen and understand where they want to be, then maps a unique plan to achieve those goals. There is nothing as rewarding as instilling confidence in others. At tutordoctor.com that is what we do... we help others fall in love with learning and watch success unfold.
Great side gig
Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 2, 2018
I have been with Tutor Doctor for a month, so am still pretty new. The management has been great: supportive when needed, hands-off when not. You get to choose which jobs/students you are interested in (based on student's need, location, pay, etc.) Everything is clear up-front. You work as little or as much as you like and you set your own schedule (working directly with the families.) Very little prep/reporting outside of tutoring hours. Pay rate is hourly and based on the individual job - some pay more than others. Several types of incentive pay, as well. Great way to make some extra money on the side. Not likely a job that would be your sole source of income.
Pros
Flexible, supportive
Cons
Jobs may or may not be available, so if you are wanting to work a lot of hours (especially if you are sticking to a specific age-range, location, or subject), it may be difficult.
You control how much tutoring you do. Now that I have experience tutoring, I wish my hourly rate could be increased.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  South Boston, MAOctober 24, 2018
Great company but it really depends on your franchise operator. You may have very little work. Sometimes the time getting to different clients can be very long or involve traffic. Definitely not doing this for the money.
Pros
control of hours and work
Cons
transportation not compensated
Minimal Hour Job
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCOctober 17, 2018
I only worked this job a few hours a week. It was annoying having to travel long distances for tutoring which makes the payment a little less worth it.
Former Tutor
Tutoring (Former Employee) –  Tucson National Estates, AZOctober 16, 2018
Very disappointed in owners of this company. If you do not say or act the way they want you to act or speak truth about a student and their parent, then they have no use for you. Do not recommend this company at all.
Pros
Students
Cons
Speaking truth
Being a Tutor with Tutor Doctor
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Sanford, FLSeptember 26, 2018
1, In-home surveys are performed by my local management team before the student/parent needs are posted on the job board .
2. The student/parent pays up front.
3. If the student/parent fails to cancel the scheduled session and the tutor drives to the student/parent's house - the tutor gets paid.
4. Tutor session reports are typically approved within 12 hours of submission - (you get paid without delay)
5. My supervisor constantly provides opportunities for advancement within Tutor Doctors.
6. My supervisor looks out for the Tutors that work for her.

Note: This is a 1099 company and you do not receive benefits of any kind.

This arrangement is ideal for retired educators, teachers, engineers and scientists who want to give back. Also any college student who "knows their stuff" enough to teach others can earn some extra money - if they are good with children.
Pros
Opportunities, hours, contract, pay
Tutoring with Tutor Doctors
Tutor (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CASeptember 7, 2018
After hired with Tutor Doctors, we the tutors apply for the students who need help in the subject they need with. Once we have applied and are match with the student we go to the students household to tutor them one-on-one. If the student and the tutor have a great chemistry relationship then we the tutor stay with the student for the rest of the school term. There are no set hours, our hours are set by how many students we the tutors apply for. In the end being able to help a student out and make the subject more fun to learn is a great feeling at the end of the day.
Great way to expand horizons
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 22, 2018
It is such a pleasure to work with students of all ages, and it's always a plus to see students achieve higher results and goals. The company is supportive, it provides tools and resources to make the work easier on the tutor, and management is flexible and available for schedule changes and life events.
Pros
Flexible hours
Easy to work with your schedule
Evening Part-time Tutor (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXAugust 7, 2018
Great company for tutors, works well with your schedule, great communication between tutors and higher ups, decent pay, It is great if you need a flexible schedule
Pros
love the fact it's about the tutor needs
Cons
part time
Working at Tutor Doctor has been an enjoyable experience
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Redondo Beach, CAAugust 3, 2018
A typical day at Tutor Doctor entails driving to the designated students home, and working with the student on homework assigned along with extra supporting work that I provide to help the student understand concepts being taught. What I've learned from tutoring is that every student has different needs academically and emotionally. Some students need more incentive to complete assignments. Management is pretty laid-back as we work independently with our clients. As long as we're on time and being productive with the students, management is happy. The hardest part of this job is making the student feel comfortable with you. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the student succeed.
Pros
Good extra cash and rewarding experience
Cons
Sometimes, you have very unmotivated students and it can be difficult to get them engaged.
Good side-gig but there is also a lot of clutter
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCJuly 31, 2018
I really liked the work/life balance, because you could set your own hours and how many families you wanted to take each week. I did not like that there wasn't a lot of clarity from the management. I also did not get to meet other tutors which I thought was weird, and made me feel like there was no sense of teamwork.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
fragmented management
Flexible/Fun
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Beaufort, SCJune 27, 2018
I love working for Tutor Doctor. I’m a nursing student & wanted something flexible that I would enjoy. I love getting to know the students & their families. I’ve always been matched well & enjoy the flexibility. I can decide when I want to work which is amazing for my schedule!!!
Pros
Flexible, fun
Cons
Don’t get paid a ton because usually only have a few students
Flexible way to earn some money
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 21, 2018
I can choose how many students I take on and in what subjects. Many of my students had me branch out into other subjects later, as we got more used to each other. I feel that generally I'm matched well to students and that the pay is worth my time. When I've had issues with students or parents, my supervisor talks them through with me and intervenes if necessary.
Pros
Flexible hours, students who want to learn
Cons
Pays less than finding your own clients

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tutor Doctor. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3