Tutor.com
62Average

Tutor.com Employee Reviews

United States109 reviews
Work from home at your own hours
Working for Tutor.com is convenient because I can set my own hours. However, tutoring is a rather seasonal job, and there is not always much work available at certain times of year (especially in the heart of summer and winter), which is a bummer. The pay is okay but nothing stellar, and since it is considered a self-employed job, there are no benefits either. However, this is quite good as a first job or for a side job for extra money, but I think it would be quite difficult to sustain a living wage this way. The management has resolved just about every issue that has ever come up and is quite helpful; I feel like Tutor.com definitely values its employees and makes it known often enough that this is true.
Autonomy-centric yet customer-friendly and connected workplace
A typical day at work is fun and flexible. I learn from my students and have wide autonomy in conducting each teaching session. Knowing I have helped someone to understand and my student's gratitude is the best part of my job.
Good training and flexibility
Starting at a probational tutor, one can be promoted to tutor 1, tutor 2, tutor 3 and may even become mentor and senior mentor from home. Some subjects pay more than others. Mentors provide regular feedback and there are tons of resources at the online tutor resource center. There is a wide range of subjects and more are being added.
Poor Pay and obnoxious students
This company is miserable to work for. The starting pay is minimum wage in my area, even though you need to be a qualified applicant to get approved. I tutored writing, and while some of my students were a delight, there were many who simply wanted me to do their work for them, both wasting my time and leaving poor reviews when I refused to write their essays for them.
Gig Economy Mentality
The company doesn’t pay tutors enough. Also, communication is poor and policies seem to focus entirely on clients rather than sound educational instruction. Tutors are disposable.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
Great work for great company
Great support from mentors as you're learning their system. Love the flexibility, however it is next to impossible to secure hours on the books as they snapped up within seconds of being posted. Floating is where I get my hours which means I log on when I can and wait to receive a tutoring request.
Pros
Flexible schedule, mentor support
Cons
Pays only minimum wage in Massachusetts
Waste of time
Tutor.com doesn't pay enough, does not prioritize the tutors they employ, and will find totally arbitrary reasons to fire tutors instead of promoting them to the next tutor level. With all the cons the meager pay they offer is not worth the amount of effort needed to work the job.
Terrible company
Working for Tutor.com is like working for a tyrant; you get paid slave wages, are expected to overwork, adjust immediately to their will and requests, and you are expected to do so with a smile and complete understanding. They give you very little room for understanding or comprehending what they need and they are unclear with their demands. You also only get paid for the session time you spend with a student, yet you're on-call which isn't how the industry works. It's by far one of THE worst jobs I've had, and I was treated better working as an English Tutor at colleges. Don't work for them.
Set own hours
Work is flexible and satisfying. The company is supportive and offers training and mentorships. The work is online and remote. The hardest part of the job is dealing with unresponsive students
Online tutoring platform
I found it difficult to tutor through the online platform, but for an online platform it worked very well. This is a great service for students who would otherwise struggle.
Amazing part-time work
You set your own schedule, it's very flexible. It's guaranteed hours every week. After several years you can advance to another level. If more hours were available, or if full-time was an option, it would be my primary job.
La confiance et la sécurité
Je me sentirai bien dans ce travail car je l’aime bien .un travail est sensée te rapporter des sous , et de pouvoir t épanouir si c’est pas le cas .tu ne peu plus continuer
unethical
These guys act unethically, from misclassification, underpayment, to discrimination. I was retaliated against for a long time for my disability. As a result, I was the victim of ongoing harassment in various forms, until I was forced to resign. I would not recommend anyone to apply here!
A Typical Day at Work
A typical day at work has the beautiful fulfillment of equipping students for their potential as communicators and learners with the schedule flexibility of balancing responsibilities at home.
it was very productive and a fun place to work
personally i liked being a tutor i had fun the others i worked with being that were very helpful and nice, the pay was pretty good and i was satisfied working there i encourage all who have interest
Working at TutorMe
Working at TutorMe has been an exciting experience. A great opportunity to build your knowledge base and earn extra income in a flexible, competitive environment.
Happy
I enjoy working for tutor.com and recommend it often. If you want to work and are qualified to teach the high demand subjects you will be able to easily work 30-50 hours a week
Pocket money, high expectations
Most students (elementary thru grad school) are great; even when they're not, they can be pretty entertaining. But it's very stressful to get hit with an awful 20-page paper that the student begs you to spend hours fixing, and you're not allowed to do anything like that. Management's expectations are ridiculous. They basically want Magical Instant Teaching Faeries at fast-food pay. The software sucks. Still, it's pocket money.
Not a great company.
You want to work to help students, but the mentors are always giving bad reviews. I had great student reviews, but I think the company just like to make up excuses to give you a hard time. Extremely low pay for instilling knowledge on others.
qa
I love the company, but the store I work at is kind of disorganized and I could recommend better ways to run things. All the workers are kind and respectful, but the higher ranked employees like to use there ranking over lower people
Flexible hours but stressful
I have been working with Tutor.com for a few years now as a College Essay writing Tutor. As long as I have been with the company, I'm just now getting to $13/hr. Many days, I want to quit, but I have bills to pay and the flexibility of hours is really nice and allows me to work around my fulltime job schedule.

Pros: Flexible hours; sometimes you get great students who want to learn

Cons:

-Sessions are not long enough; Management doesn't like when you go over time with a student even when the student clearly needs more help;

For example, a student will have a 20 min session but need help with a 3-4 page paper. Tutor.com's policy is that you work with student for 20 mins and transfer them to another tutor to continue. I have had students get really upset about this policy because they want to finish the paper with one tutor, which is understandable. Also, it wastes time,bc if you get a student who was working with a previous tutor, it takes a while to figure out where the previous tutor was going with the paper corrections, and the student loses time bc the new tutor has to reread the entire paper.

-Also while you are in a session you get a message that 'time is almost up for the session.' I have gotten emails when I go over time or a "watch your time from my mentor" when I went 5 mins over the limit. The worse are the 20 min sessions. Often a kid is just getting the concept after 20 mins and needs a few mins to make sure they got it before you tell them "times up." I really think they need to increase the shortest session for English and Writing to at least 30 mins.
 - more...
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tutor.com. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6
2.8
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Tutor.com.