Tutor.com
Happiness rating is 61 out of 100

Tutor.com Employee Reviews

Tutor.com offers flexible hours. You can basically log in and work any time you want as long as you tutor an average of 5 hours per week and don't go longer than a month or so without working (except in the summer). The pay is low and it's tough to get a raise, but it's completely remove and you set your own schedule. The students can be tough because some just want the work done for them, so you have to balance customer service with effective tutoring practices.
I have worked at Tutor.com for a few years. I appreciate the support and responsiveness I get from my supervisors and the opportunities for special projects. We tutor async and synch via an easy-to-use classroom application. The only downside I've found is that one starts with fewer opportunities for hours than you can work yourself up to later on. But whether or not one experiences this depends on their availability. Someone with more availability will more hours to choose from. We are not given a set schedule, but sign up for hours each week. We also can't work more than 28 hours per week. I recommend the company for those needing supplemental income, teachers and future teachers, and retirees.
Pros
Flexibility, Supportive Staff
Cons
No Benefits
Getting to choose your hours is about the only pro there is to working for Tutor.com. The pay differs depending on the subjects you tutor in, but the rates are absolutely awful.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Everything else
A typical day at tutor.com is awesome, it doesn't matter where you are or what you do for a living, this company definitely supports recent graduates who are actively seeking employment.
Tutor.com offers many great WFH jobs for qualified individuals. I'm a part-time employee but still felt very valued and supported. The leadership is awesome because they care about people: both workers and students.
Pros
Remote and Flexible
Cons
I'm not full-time
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
I was shocked by how low the pay is and how much time tutors are expected to invest for free just to get up to speed on basic features, protocols, etc.
I’ve only been working for them for a few weeks as a tutor and even though I have yet to be paid, I have had nothing but problems. I’ve sent probably close to a dozen email and made two phone calls to tech support because the online classroom does NOT work. It’s great in theory because you can work whenever you want and the pay is okay-ish but it’s honestly not worth it.
Pros
Flexible schedule, work from home
Cons
Awful technology
I enjoy the flexibility of this job. That said, the pay is abysmal, and hasn't been raised in years. The metrics are all seriously flawed as well, which means you are evaluated on meaningless numbers.
Pros
Great commute!
Cons
Low pay
Only system I’ve ever used that couldn’t facilitate voice communication, even though they expect tutors to be voice available. Very poor time accounting and reporting processes made it appear that I was on system and available for tutoring requests much less than I actually was logged in. New tutors limited to 5 hours per week, but they push for you to be available in standby mode without pay (“floating”, they say). Tutors are independent contractors, but not really independent as to work requirements.
For starters the pay for is ridiculously low for everything you're required to do. You can get paid way more to tutor almost anywhere else. The software they use to facilitate tutoring is woefully out of date, not at all user friendly, and frequently drops either you or your student mid-session. When you first start out you're given a "mentor" who reviews all of your session and provides feedback. Very quickly though it was obvious my "mentor" was not knowledgeable. Someone had clearly taught them some education terms without explaining what they meant or how they worked. I used to teach for a living so I know what I'm doing but my "mentor" frequently gave me bad reviews even though I received 5 stars from all of my clients. They also couldn't decided what exactly they thought I was doing wrong - one day they'd say I spent too much time with the client, the next I wasn't spending enough, and they were obsessed with the term "leading questions" even though they clearly had no idea what that meant or where it was applicable. And while the fact that you can choose when you work is fantastic, there's problems with that too. My main problem was that you'd sign up for a shift, but the system didn't mark you as "unavailable" or "offline" when your shift was over. So you'd often get caught in a session that went past your shift time and when you finally get off that session you have to try and quickly log off the system before another call comes in. If a call comes in before you get logged off, even if your shift is over, and you don't take the call it counts against your "acceptance - more...
Pros
Choose your schedule
Cons
Incompetent management, frustrating and out-of-date software
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Tutor.com?
I think the payment per session is good. However, there are issues with the system. First, the mentors really do enjoy dishing out bad reviews. Second, the classroom app does not work well. There are too many technical issues. At the end of the day, they refuse to take responsibility. They either blame it on your connection or computer. Third, it is difficult to get sessions.Overall, working for tutor.com is frustrating
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Mentors, Tech issues with the classroom app.
This job is perfect for those looking for extra money, but don't exactly have the flexibility of going into a job. At tutor.com you log in anytime to make extra money. Advancement is based on your determination to stand in this company, so it can be a bit challenging.
Pros
Flexible hours, make your own schedule
Cons
not that much room for growth
There were incredibly lengthy periods of time when I encountered no difficulties with this role. The biggest challenge was not dealing with students who were nuisances - it was dealing with the tutor mentors.
Years ago, this was a quality company for which to work. Now, the contracts that tutors sign are rigid, inflexible, and exploitative. If you are desperate enough to work at this company, read your contract before signing it.
Pros
Some students are wonderful and want to learn
Cons
No advancement, low wages, poor management
what is good:* help students that want to learn* work remote and for most part when you want towhat is bad:* they must charge colleges a ton for this, because a lot of people in the company don't really do anything more than the absolute-absolute minimum (and there are a ton of these people). * pretty much everything about their product and support resources feels unloved. * the software feels like it hasn't changed much in 20 years (in fairness, they're testing an update now but it feels about 10 years ago). it's full of quality issues and bugs.* their intranets are spread over like 5 websites and have no central organization. people will link to a page for a specific question that has 20 pdfs on it and they won't know what the title of the document they're talking about is. and maybe that document isn't called the same thing when they used it last time.* they've got a lot of people sitting around to critique minor things (i spent a week formatting white spacing of a profile for somebody) but who are mostly unhelpful if you actually have a real problem.* to a far lesser extent (and as anyone might expect) some of the students experiences are not fun- especially the ones who didn't prepare or who just want answers. however overall the good students make up for this. only criticism here is that tutor doesn't really want to help these students in the way they say- if somebody has a learning disability it's possible that they should not be on tutor. or there should be special tutors for these people. but they just want to get paid and the easiest way to - more...
Pros
helping students, working remote
Cons
culture, lack of focus, lack of meaningful interest from leadership
Sadly, tutor.com is one of the worse tutoring providers out there. The quality of the students is subpar: Most students have no desire to learn and want tutors to provide answers. If the tutor does not do that, they warned bad reviews that will determine their fate. Talking about reviews, the mentoring system is a joke: My mentor was a junior faculty with little understanding of learning. The only times I heard from him was always about negative feedback. After a few reviews, I stopped reading the reviews as they were useless. Finally, the elephant in the room : the pay is terrible! The pay was a terrible $11 /hour and worse, during wait time, I was paid a whopping $8.6 / hour, not to mention I was an independent contractor, making the pay below state wage. They want you to have a graduate degree, be available when there are surges and offer a superior customer service while being paid peanuts. I lasted 6 months and I am not sure how I lasted that long. There are better tutoring services out there.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Pay is terrible, mentoring is a joke, and the student population is subpar.
I've enjoyed my time working for this company, and I look forward to my future with them. I don't have any complaints and I would recommend this company to anyone!
The greatest advantage (among many) in working for Tutor.com is the level of support from company leadership and mentoring. Consistent feedback from my mentor has helped me to see my progress and to continue to refine my skills. They use the best software, tools, and resources that I have encountered to-date. I've been with them for 2 years, but I've been tutoring online for 5+ years total.
Pros
Great support and training, flexibility in scheduling, opprtunities for growth
Cons
Email is primary form of communication.
You have to lay in order to tutor others. Starting out with around $25. You could make that up within a few hours, but that is just a large initial investment for me. Too large.
Cons
Must pay to work
There is a review system that allows a 'mentor' to give feedback to a tutor periodically. This 'feedback' is used to determine continued employment. The type of feedback is determined largely on the type of students that enter the queue. It's also very vague and hand-wavy. If you're unfortunate enough to encounter non-invested, rude, or slow-to-respond students, your 'feedback' is largely negative. If you're lucky enough to get good students then your 'feedback' will be positive. Because this feedback directly determines your eligibility for continued employment, job security is non-existent.
Pros
Very flexible schedule
Cons
Pay is directly related to student ratings, Job security is non-existent; they'll let you go at a moment's notice.
A typical day at work: I turn on the computer. A student pops on. Any question or topic can come up because I deal with students writing papers. I find it fascinating what the students choose to write about. The platform provides information on the subjects of study; so I can look up information if I need it. On the downside, I hardly ever get to meet other tutors; so I do not get to see their points of view on the job.
Pros
Students from every background
Cons
Do not really meet other tutors on staff
  1. Employee Reviews