Tutor.com Employee Reviews

Nice Part-Timer
Academic Tutor (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeAugust 24, 2017
It is a nice job to have part time, but it is not really a career. I recommend it for people looking for supplemental wages and who are good at academics.
Pros
Classroom medium is easy to use
Cons
Some students really want too much
Only if you are desperate
Tutor (Current Employee) –  RemoteAugust 22, 2017
Tutor.com tutors are classified as independent contractors in all states where Tutor.com has not yet lost a law suit about the classification of their tutors. That pretty much sets the tone for what you can expect from the company in every aspect.
Pros
Make your own hours
Cons
Low pay, little to no room for advancement, rarely enough work avaible
Great flexibile side-job
Calculus Tutor (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 19, 2017
I've had an overall very positive experience working as a part-time tutor with Tutor.com. The scheduling is extremely flexible, and it makes for a great supplementary income source. I've found engaging with students live over the company's proprietary software to be stimulating and enjoyable, as well as keeping my math tutoring skills sharp. However, note that it is difficult to schedule more than quarter-time hours per week, so it fits the role of side-gig.
online tutoring with flexible scheduling
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJune 28, 2017
Nice if you need to supplement your income and can tutor. The scheduling is fairly flexible, but don't expect to get more than 15-20 hours per week. You do have to pass the subject area tests to tutor a specific area.
Ok for temp income but no room for growth
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Home BasedMay 30, 2017
I spent my hours answering basic questions and never seeing if the student was actually growing and progressing. I did not see a way to grow in this position and I missed personal contact.
Pros
flexible hours, work from home
Cons
no room to grow, no personal connection
Productive and flexible work hours
Tutor (Former Employee) –  HomeMay 19, 2017
Being able to work from home on hours that I am able to work with allowed me to work through work and studies while waiting for students to connect to sessions. The software used was clear, concise, and easy to use for both the client and tutor.
Challenging
Tutor I (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 7, 2017
Working with students from across the country can be fun but it does have its challenges. Depending upon the subject matter, the skill level of a student can be very diverse.
Pros
Opportunity to help students online.
Cons
Not enough time to spend with a student.
Good job for students, but low pay
Tutor (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMay 4, 2017
The pay is pretty low., that's the main problem. Also not many hours per week. You can do a lot better as a private tutor. But the advantages are that you don't have to find the students (the service brings them to you online), and you can tutor in the comfort of your own home. Sometimes the students are rude and some of the feedback from students or from mentors can be annoying, but you have to develop a thick skin and just do your best, and of course extract what useful advice you can find from the feedback. I think that for young people (college students) it may be a pretty good job. Also if you're stuck at home and want to work at odd hours from home.
Pros
flexible hours, can work at home
Cons
pay is low for tutoring
Exciting and unique work experience
Geometry, Algebra, Basic Science Tutor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 28, 2017
I love the way Tutor.com allows for an anonymous way to tutor students! The software offered by this job is very engaging for students and tutors no matter the subject.
Good part time job
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 18, 2017
This is a good way to make some extra money in your home. The hours are flexible and the pay is pretty good. Some students can be a little rude or totally unprepared but overall I've enjoyed my interactions with the people looking for tutoring help.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Some students can be rude
good balance, pay on the lower end
MENTOR AND TUTOR (Current Employee) –  RemoteApril 9, 2017
I enjoy working as a virtual tutor and mentor. No, you won't get rich, but as a stay at home mom, I make some extra money and enjoy working with students. The job is very flexible, which makes it worth it to me. I started as a tutor and am transitioning to a mentor position.
Pros
flexible, easy
Cons
lower pay
Good place to work with independent schedule
Tutor (Former Employee) –  onlineMarch 6, 2017
Great place to work, flexible schedule, plenty of space to exhibit independence. Online-based blackboard tutoring in multitude of subjects/classes. Can work from home.
Buena empresa pero un trabajo dificil
Tutor de Trigonometria, Pre-calculo, Algebra 1 y 2 (Current Employee) –  New YorkFebruary 26, 2017
Es una empresa de estados unidos, la cual contrata gente de latino America para dar clases por internet en ingles, es un poco complicado en el sentido que no dan estabilidad laboral.
Pros
trabajas en tu tiempo libre
Cons
no dan prestaciones de ley
Lack of Direction
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 9, 2017
While the product is great & the benefits are very fair, the expectation of working Saturdays, Sundays, etc AND being led by someone who does not understand the higher education sales environment made it very difficult to be successful.
Excellent Job for college students
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  OnlineJanuary 9, 2017
A fulfilling job for a college student as you can use your knowledge of your favorite subjects to tutor peers, younger students, and even professionals.
Pros
Work your own hours
Cons
Hard to find work during the holidays (summer, winter breaks for students)
Customer-focused, low pay, little opportunity for advancement, but still convenient work
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 5, 2017
Way too focused around the customers/students. They can leave bad reviews for no reasons, and that affects advancement and bonuses. Can only block intolerable customers for that current session. It seems like the company doesn't care about the tutors. Very low pay for tutoring. Little opportunity to earn more (I went from probationary tutor, $9/hour, to level 1 tutor, $11/hour, after a month but then have been stuck there for over a year, despite good performance). Only pro is the convenience of working from home. However, I often spend all day online only to get 3-4 hours due to too many tutors and/or too little students.
Pros
Convenient work
Cons
Customer-focused, low pay, little opportunity for advancement
Good part time work
Tutor (Current Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 5, 2017
Helpful mentors and trainers, open schedules. Very exact with their payments, but generally a good part time gig. The students tend to be very polite and catch on pretty quick as well. Overall, check it out!
Good experience
Tutor 1 (Former Employee) –  onlineDecember 12, 2016
It was a great way to get experience to teach students and learn to be professional. It was difficult to adjust to the system at first but it was easy to navigate after more time of using it.
Great Flexibility, Minimal Pay
English and Spanish Tutor (Current Employee) –  New York, NY (really from home)July 26, 2016
I enjoy the flexibility of working for Tutor.com. We don't really have managers in this position (but my mentor is amazing). I only wish that they paid better/offered more hours. During scheduled hours, if not working with a client, you only make $5.50/hr.

(Depending on your level of tutoring you are limited to 5, 6, or 7 hours a week). You can pick up more hours on Saturday at noon, and they go fast...so trying to "catch more hours" can be stressful.
They are making a killing and you are replaceable
Personal Tutor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 20, 2016
They charge students $40/hour for the "service" of which the tutor makes between $10-16 of. Since the tutor is doing all of the work, this seems a little lopsided/ Scheduling hours is a nightmare and you have to float to ever make any money. During finals time and the beginning of the school year you can make some decent money, but other than that you will likely spent 60 plus hours on your computer to try to hit the 28 hours per week where they cap you. Also you are independent contractor which mean you pay both employee and employer taxes.
Pros
flex hours
Cons
pay, rude management, inconsistent work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tutor.com. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7