Tutor.com Employee Reviews

New rules are ludicrous
tutor (Current Employee) –  remoteFebruary 7, 2019
They have made many new rules but are vague as to what exactly they want. Could be using the new rules to turnover tutors and keep from giving raises.
Pros
Cons
vague rules, low pay, lack of updated technology, lack of professionalism
Didn't get paid so I quit
Tutor (Former Employee) –  OnlineJanuary 28, 2019
Didnt get paid so thats sad. I might have kept working for them if i had. It was an okay job. Very flexible. Online. tutoring was challenging at times since I had no idea what question I would get next.
Great Opportunity, Little Room to Advance
Client Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAJanuary 2, 2019
Tutor.com and The Princeton Review offered me a great opportunity to remotely work doing a job I truly enjoy. However the benefits offered from when I started to current have been truly lackluster. The Princeton Review, a renowned Test Prep company, does not actually offer free or even discount pricing on their Test Prep books for employees (or their families) let alone classes. There have been monumental shifts and changes even before the company was bought and even prior to that they were making questionable decisions on who would stay and who would go. I lost some truly valuable coworkers during my time that have made my day to day at times more challenging. I believe they are attempting to right the ship at the moment of posting (Jan, 2019) but time will tell. In regards to upward mobility, I knew it could be an uphill battle since my particular department is on the smaller side but with no plan to elevate or even find additional colleagues dedicated to my position have made things uneasy.

On the positive side, I have managers & directors who truly care about me personally and are good to work for. I have been commended in my time and while there were no perks for recognition, it was very nice to know my work is appreciated in some way. I also have a semi flexible schedule but due to my position and ability, work longer hours if need be.

Overall, this was a great place to continue my career and build up valuable experience that I will be able to put to use in the future.
Pros
Remote Work, Caring Management, Competitive Salary
Cons
Poor Benefits, Lack of Upward Trajectory, Attrition
flexible, too consumer centric
Online Tutor (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVDecember 20, 2018
Too consumer centric. If a student who is lazy or abusive wants to give you a bad review because they have no work ethic or respect, they can do that, and give tutor a bad rating in retaliation, and the tutor is the one who will get scolded, put on advisory, etc.
Pros
flexible
Cons
too consumer centric
Great place for part time!
Math Tutor, Online (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 14, 2018
A straight forward job where you are expected to tutor students but the lack of students at times is sometimes discouraging but afterall, it's only part time!
Pros
flexible hours, good students/clients
Cons
terrible software/classroom environment, some students are rude/impatient and will leave terrible reviews, limited time on tutoring sessions
Unprofessional and rude management
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 24, 2018
Don't work for them! They won't tell you the truth about students, their needs and availability and they will make you a huge problem. They do everything behind your back. They don't even have enough students. Avoid them.
Pros
Cons
Poor management
Good job
Mathematics Tutor (Current Employee) –  OnlineNovember 18, 2018
Very relaxing and flexible scheduling. You work whenever and wherever you want as long as you have a decent Internet connection. Just make sure you’re tutorin a subject you love and can explain.
Solid
Independent Online Tutor (Former Employee) –  NormandieNovember 2, 2018
Tutor.com delivered what I needed at the time
Tutoring was flexible
The shared whiteboard program is good
Pay was lousy
Support was available
Mentor was overbearing
Good Place to Work
English, Social Studies, and Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  NMOctober 1, 2018
This was a good place to work. The pay was not that great, but the position was pretty flexible, so that was a plus. I enjoyed assisting students in writing stronger papers.
False pay advertisements, impossible to get hours.
English Tutor (Current Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 31, 2018
Despite hiring for specific subject areas while advertising pay rates both in the job ad and during the interview, what they actually pay is several dollars less per hour. Assuming you can get hours. First week seemed easy to come by, but by the time the probationary times open (and I have sat there refreshing down to the minute) everything is gone. You can only schedule 5-6 hours even if they are. In the two months I've been there I've managed to schedule a grad total of 6 hours. My assigned mentor was very responsive to questions and friendly, and despite very little time to work with students the work itself is enjoyable. Sadly the trend with most online tutoring and teaching companies is to employ many (easier to turn over) and provide little stability, pay, or incentives to its staff. Tutor.com is no different.
Pros
Theoretically set your own hours, rewarding work
Cons
Low pay, false job description, tough to get approved for subjects
Terrible Employer
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 11, 2018
They refuse to allow tutors to earn a livable wage and constantly rate negatively in reviews to avoid paying raises. Loved the work, hated the employer.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Not enough pay, no benefits
Part time work that undervalues Tutors expertise
Tutor (Current Employee) –  RemoteJuly 23, 2018
This could be a decent part time job if the pay and expectations of tutors were reasonable. The compensation is almost minimum wage for Masters level experience. They expect you to be an expert in all areas without any incentives for time spent researching advanced topics outside of tutoring time. Students are allowed to act rudely whereas tutors must always give service with a smile.
Pros
Sitting at home in your PJ's
Cons
Low pay (basically minimum wage), Lack of sufficient work hours, Disparaging treatment of tutors vs. students
Nice supplemental income, fulfilling work, but students can be nobs
Academic Coach - Tutor III (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 22, 2018
24/7 flexible scheduling. You pick your own hours, but they are quite inconsistent. No benefits. Management is professional, friendly, and supportive. Fulfilling, but some students are obnoxious. Pay is once per month, which is highly inconvenient, but it is on time and reliable.
Pros
Flexible schedule, Fulfilling work, Friendly professional management, Few technical issues, Professional autonomy, Good communication flow from company
Cons
Low pay, Pay only once/month, No benefits, Inconsistent hours, Obnoxious or lazy students
Cool Website
Algebra I/II Tutor (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 8, 2018
Cool Website - made it easy to connect with students to help them learn basic math skills. Would return to this position if I was in between jobs. Good supervising structure and feedback.
Great way to make extra money on the side while in school or as a side gig.
Economics, Calculus, and Statistics Tutor (Former Employee) –  RemoteMay 31, 2018
Flexible hours. Decent pay. The culture was very customer oriented. Oftentimes, you have to decide between your rating or actually helping the student. Overall, great way to make money on the side. Not as a full time job.
Good side gig
Writing Tutor (Current Employee) –  RemoteMay 4, 2018
If you have a part-time job and aren't making ends meet, this is an easy, low-risk, low-reward type scenario. You can tutor any time of day or night (although scheduled hours tend to go quickly) and if you tutor at college level you make a decent amount of money per session. If you can do in-person tutoring somewhere else, take it, but if not, this is a good supplement for your career.
Pros
easy scheduling
good
Currently tutor college students in math (Current Employee) –  New YorkApril 24, 2018
good place to work at, especially if you need money. just know it's not a full time thing. It's good if you are a tutor, stay online a lot, and need less than 400 a month.
Better than no job at all
Online Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 23, 2018
This company was not great to work for. There was a long list of things that they listed employees could be fired for. The hours were horrible.When I needed a recommendation letter for grad school, they said that they don't do that. I was happy to get the $10-11/hour at the time because I couldn't find another job, but I wouldn't do that again unless I had no income again.
No complaints
Home Based Online Tutor - Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 11, 2018
It's a great company to work for. The hours are flexible and there are opportunities to work beyond your scheduled hours. It's a legit work from home job. No complaints.
Nice for extra money, but not something to live on
Level 1 Tutor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 29, 2017
Tutor.com is great in terms of flexibility and ease of use. I can claim whatever available hours work for me and pick up floating hours at other times.

The main issue is being able to get scheduled hours, especially during school breaks. You get paid full wage for any minutes you spend in session (scheduled or floating), partial wage for any time you spend waiting for sessions during your scheduled hours, and nothing for time you spend waiting as a floating tutor.

It's a nice means of earning a few hundred extra dollars a month (if it's busy) but is by no means something you can live on.

Another issue is that management sets average session lengths (usually 22 minutes) as goals. However, these seem to have very little relationship to the questions at hand or the subject matter. I routinely receive negative marks on my performance reviews from my mentor for going over time limits, even though I would have to do a substandard job to fit that time frame with the subjects I tutor and the fact that most of the students I get paired up with are college-level.
Pros
Very flexible scheduling
Cons
Hard to get hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tutor.com. Our community is ready to answer.