Tutor.com Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Cool Website
Algebra I/II Tutor (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 8, 2018
Cool Website - made it easy to connect with students to help them learn basic math skills. Would return to this position if I was in between jobs. Good supervising structure and feedback.
Good side gig
Writing Tutor (Current Employee) –  RemoteMay 4, 2018
If you have a part-time job and aren't making ends meet, this is an easy, low-risk, low-reward type scenario. You can tutor any time of day or night (although scheduled hours tend to go quickly) and if you tutor at college level you make a decent amount of money per session. If you can do in-person tutoring somewhere else, take it, but if not, this is a good supplement for your career.
Pros
easy scheduling
good
Currently tutor college students in math (Current Employee) –  New YorkApril 24, 2018
good place to work at, especially if you need money. just know it's not a full time thing. It's good if you are a tutor, stay online a lot, and need less than 400 a month.
Better than no job at all
Online Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 23, 2018
This company was not great to work for. There was a long list of things that they listed employees could be fired for. The hours were horrible.When I needed a recommendation letter for grad school, they said that they don't do that. I was happy to get the $10-11/hour at the time because I couldn't find another job, but I wouldn't do that again unless I had no income again.
No complaints
Home Based Online Tutor - Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 11, 2018
It's a great company to work for. The hours are flexible and there are opportunities to work beyond your scheduled hours. It's a legit work from home job. No complaints.
Nice for extra money, but not something to live on
Level 1 Tutor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 29, 2017
Tutor.com is great in terms of flexibility and ease of use. I can claim whatever available hours work for me and pick up floating hours at other times.

The main issue is being able to get scheduled hours, especially during school breaks. You get paid full wage for any minutes you spend in session (scheduled or floating), partial wage for any time you spend waiting for sessions during your scheduled hours, and nothing for time you spend waiting as a floating tutor.

It's a nice means of earning a few hundred extra dollars a month (if it's busy) but is by no means something you can live on.

Another issue is that management sets average session lengths (usually 22 minutes) as goals. However, these seem to have very little relationship to the questions at hand or the subject matter. I routinely receive negative marks on my performance reviews from my mentor for going over time limits, even though I would have to do a substandard job to fit that time frame with the subjects I tutor and the fact that most of the students I get paired up with are college-level.
Pros
Very flexible scheduling
Cons
Hard to get hours
Good work from home position if you get the right supervisor.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  onlineOctober 2, 2017
It was a great place to work online until I was assigned a different and unqualilfied supervisor. She didn't seem to understand basic grammar rules and covered for her own ignorance by trying to micro-manage people. It went from great to awful with that one change. I have friends who still work there and are fine, because she is not their supervisor.
Pros
pretty good pay and flexible schedle
Cons
They need to train their supervisors better.
Nice Part-Timer
Academic Tutor (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeAugust 24, 2017
It is a nice job to have part time, but it is not really a career. I recommend it for people looking for supplemental wages and who are good at academics.
Pros
Classroom medium is easy to use
Cons
Some students really want too much
Only if you are desperate
Tutor (Current Employee) –  RemoteAugust 22, 2017
Tutor.com tutors are classified as independent contractors in all states where Tutor.com has not yet lost a law suit about the classification of their tutors. That pretty much sets the tone for what you can expect from the company in every aspect.
Pros
Make your own hours
Cons
Low pay, little to no room for advancement, rarely enough work avaible
Great flexibile side-job
Calculus Tutor (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 19, 2017
I've had an overall very positive experience working as a part-time tutor with Tutor.com. The scheduling is extremely flexible, and it makes for a great supplementary income source. I've found engaging with students live over the company's proprietary software to be stimulating and enjoyable, as well as keeping my math tutoring skills sharp. However, note that it is difficult to schedule more than quarter-time hours per week, so it fits the role of side-gig.
online tutoring with flexible scheduling
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJune 28, 2017
Nice if you need to supplement your income and can tutor. The scheduling is fairly flexible, but don't expect to get more than 15-20 hours per week. You do have to pass the subject area tests to tutor a specific area.
Ok for temp income but no room for growth
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Home BasedMay 30, 2017
I spent my hours answering basic questions and never seeing if the student was actually growing and progressing. I did not see a way to grow in this position and I missed personal contact.
Pros
flexible hours, work from home
Cons
no room to grow, no personal connection
Productive and flexible work hours
Tutor (Former Employee) –  HomeMay 19, 2017
Being able to work from home on hours that I am able to work with allowed me to work through work and studies while waiting for students to connect to sessions. The software used was clear, concise, and easy to use for both the client and tutor.
Challenging
Tutor I (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 7, 2017
Working with students from across the country can be fun but it does have its challenges. Depending upon the subject matter, the skill level of a student can be very diverse.
Pros
Opportunity to help students online.
Cons
Not enough time to spend with a student.
Good job for students, but low pay
Tutor (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMay 4, 2017
The pay is pretty low., that's the main problem. Also not many hours per week. You can do a lot better as a private tutor. But the advantages are that you don't have to find the students (the service brings them to you online), and you can tutor in the comfort of your own home. Sometimes the students are rude and some of the feedback from students or from mentors can be annoying, but you have to develop a thick skin and just do your best, and of course extract what useful advice you can find from the feedback. I think that for young people (college students) it may be a pretty good job. Also if you're stuck at home and want to work at odd hours from home.
Pros
flexible hours, can work at home
Cons
pay is low for tutoring
Exciting and unique work experience
Geometry, Algebra, Basic Science Tutor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 28, 2017
I love the way Tutor.com allows for an anonymous way to tutor students! The software offered by this job is very engaging for students and tutors no matter the subject.
Good part time job
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 18, 2017
This is a good way to make some extra money in your home. The hours are flexible and the pay is pretty good. Some students can be a little rude or totally unprepared but overall I've enjoyed my interactions with the people looking for tutoring help.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Some students can be rude
good balance, pay on the lower end
MENTOR AND TUTOR (Current Employee) –  RemoteApril 9, 2017
I enjoy working as a virtual tutor and mentor. No, you won't get rich, but as a stay at home mom, I make some extra money and enjoy working with students. The job is very flexible, which makes it worth it to me. I started as a tutor and am transitioning to a mentor position.
Pros
flexible, easy
Cons
lower pay
Good place to work with independent schedule
Tutor (Former Employee) –  onlineMarch 6, 2017
Great place to work, flexible schedule, plenty of space to exhibit independence. Online-based blackboard tutoring in multitude of subjects/classes. Can work from home.
Buena empresa pero un trabajo dificil
Tutor de Trigonometria, Pre-calculo, Algebra 1 y 2 (Current Employee) –  New YorkFebruary 26, 2017
Es una empresa de estados unidos, la cual contrata gente de latino America para dar clases por internet en ingles, es un poco complicado en el sentido que no dan estabilidad laboral.
Pros
trabajas en tu tiempo libre
Cons
no dan prestaciones de ley