Tutor.com

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Flexible, but not the best

It's a good way to grab extra hours if you know how to tutor. You'll only get paid full rates if you actually end up working, but you can come and go at all hours of the day. Pay rates aren't ideal, but I think that's pretty standard for the industry.Performance reviews are pretty frequent, but they were my only real contact with company beyond a newsletter and some automated messages.

Pros

Very flexible hours

Cons

Lackluster starting wage

At some point they will decide they want to get rid off you

Was good while they needed tutors, then when they decide they don't need you anymore, they make up all negative aspects in your work... even though I had 5 star rating in the last month I was with them and then they dump you like a bag of dirt...Pretty pathetic "mentors" and management.

May 16, 2022
Thanks for taking the time to share a review. Delivering an educationally sound and safe experience for learners is our primary responsibility, and we’re diligent in our efforts to provide top-notch academic support for students through rigorous quality assurance. We also value and strive for continuous improvement. Please do not hesitate to share more details about your experience at tutor.com/get-access. We look forward to connecting with you.

Great Flexible Hours but nit picky reviews

Great flexible hours. Quality assurance reviews seemed nit picky and would say to focus on certain improvements as main priorities and then dock credit for smaller areas that weren’t the focus in the following reviews. Other subjects may be easier to tutor, but English was difficult to meet all standards in allotted time. Also the needs of the student weren’t always taken into account. Emphasis was placed on asking leading questions, which is great, but not in cases where students are experienced, smart, and looking for a quick proofread.

May 16, 2022
Thank you for the review. We strive to create a positive experience for everyone in our Tutor.com community. Our quality assurance processes are a key component of that effort for our partners, learners, and tutors alike. We’d love to learn more about your experience. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us at tutor.com/get-access.

The students

It is a good job to earn some spending money. Choosing your own hours and working from home, or wherever, is great. The pay is on the low side and there is next to no growth potential or raises after Master Tutor level.

Pros

The students, flexibility

Cons

Low pay

May 13, 2022
Thanks for sharing a review! Pay varies by subject and tutor locations. However, we periodically review our pay rates and look forward to updating tutors as soon as possible. For information about additional opportunities, please reach out to your QS or email us at tutorsupport (at) tutor (dot) com.

Best for someone looking for extra hours

Available hours fluctuate widely, don't expect to make a living off this company as a tutor. There is no real training, just a couple PDFs, then you're pretty much on your own to figure it out from there.

May 13, 2022
We appreciate the review. Scheduling is dictated by times of high learner demand across subjects, and usage is seasonal. Limitations on the number of hours tutors can work also vary by location. However, we’re continuing efforts to extend scheduling options to the greatest extent possible. Tutors are encouraged to connect with their QS for information on scheduling and conducting sessions.

flexible and (usually) lots of sessions, but pay should be higher

I'm an advanced tutor here and my max pay is 14.50 an hour. Other company's compensate more fairly. Cannot be guaranteed workScheduling hours is nice, and so are bonuses for busy times!

May 13, 2022
Thank you for sharing a review! We’re happy to learn that you enjoy the scheduling flexibility.Compensation varies by subject; however, we periodically review our pay rates and look forward to providing updates to tutors as soon as possible.

Great job if you like working solo, or for supplementary income

If you like helping people learn, Tutor.com is an easy way to make money from that. The format is the online equivalent of a walk-in tutoring center. Students start a session with you when they run into a homework problem they can't do, or need help with an essay, and you try to help bridge the gap between what they understand and what they need to do. You work entirely alone, with an occasional review from a "mentor", so really it's all about your interactions with the students. And the students run the whole spectrum, from those who are so unfamiliar with the basic concepts you wonder how they even passed the pre-reqs for their class, to students who bring you genuinely interesting questions, but they are disproportionately the former, so don't apply if you'll be frustrated by having to answer the same exact question 20+ times over the course of a week.

Pros

Complete freedom of schedule, getting to experience the "ah-ha!" moment when a student finally understands something new

Cons

Payment is sub-par for tutoring, students will very rarely be rude and somewhat less rarely act entitled, or will just fish for answers and try to use you to cheat

March 16, 2022
Thanks for sharing your review. We are happy to have tutors like you on our team to help students reach "ah-ha!" moments in completing their assignments.We’re engaged in our review of pay rates for various subjects and look forward to continuing to improve the Tutor.com experience for everyone in our community.

Flixibility

Great place for remote and part time work. Also, for setting your own hours. While on the other hand the work is Highly stressful, and the students are rude. There is no training provided. Students expect you to give them the answer (no all of them). Students rate the tutors poorly for everything. QC feedback mostly when the student complains, there is not much flexibility there.

Pros

Flexibility, set your one work hours.

Cons

Low pay, no raining. QC is team students!

February 22, 2022
Thank you for sharing your review! We’re proud to maintain rigorous quality assurance processes for our tutors, and we strive to create a positive experience for learners and tutors. We would love to connect with you to learn more about your experience. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at tutorsupport (at) tutor (dot) com.

Flexible schedule is good, wish I had more choice in what I tutor

I appreciate the very flexible schedule and they have nice bonuses during finals week and when there's a lot of demand. Do kind of wish they paid more, which is why I've moved on to other places. They were very helpful in making me improve my quality of work, with specific advice for me specifically. I do wish I had gotten more choice in what I was tutoring, since denying a request hurts your rating.

Pros

flexible, helpful mentors

Cons

not the best pay, not much choice in what you tutor

February 22, 2022
We appreciate your review, and we are honored that Tutor.com was a part of your learning and career development journey!Tutors are encouraged to apply for new subjects at any time in our providers portal. Additionally, if a tutor would like to remove a subject, they may reach out to their quality specialist or our support team.Our periodic review of pay rates for various subjects is underway. We’re excited to continue improving the Tutor.com experience for learners, tutors, employees, and partners!

Flexible but not worth it or helpful for students

Flexible hours but the pay is abysmal. You only get paid during a session unless you schedule the session ahead of time. Even then, you only get paid at 1/4 your rate between sessions. Scheduled hours are often hard to get except when they increase the number of people per schedule during peak seasons. Speaking of peak seasons, the only time the pay was worth it was when you get "bonuses" for working a scheduled session during a peak season. The job was high stress, my senior mentor often contradicted herself and was nitpicky, and the overall tutoring platform was only helpful for a select few types of students. Most students who use it are not that type.

Pros

Flexible scheduling

Cons

pay, management, company structure

February 18, 2022
Thank you for sharing your review. We take the maintenance of high standards for academic support seriously, and we’re proud to maintain rigorous quality assurance processes for our tutors. Our periodic review of pay rates for various subjects is underway, and we’re excited to continue improving the Tutor.com experience for learners, tutors, employees, and partners.

Unfulfilling and stressful work situation

The compensation is minimal for the amount of expertise and self-training one is expected to do. Pay is hourly if scheduled in advance, but, if you are not able to schedule in advance because there are no hours available (which is often the case), you are not paid for your time online unless you are offered a session. Feedback is thorough, but extremely strict in its expectations for how tutoring is carried out. Ironically, though, there is no training whatsoever - employees are simply expected, in their own time and for no compensation, to review and commit to memory various "resources" in the form of handbooks that are sometimes greater than 100 pages long. I had hoped to gain some fulfillment in helping students reach their goals, but that has proved to be very difficult in this format. I always felt as though my goal was strict adherence to Tutor.com's pedagogy, not actually providing the help students needed. Personally, I would not recommend this employer to anyone.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Minimal pay, no training, inflexible expectations and standards

February 14, 2022
Thanks for sharing a review. We would love to find out more about your experience. Please contact us at tutorsupport (at) tutor (dot) com. We hope to connect with you soon.

Good company. Flexible hours.

I enjoyed tutoring on my own time and helping students learn. Good interface. Ability to schedule your own hours. Pay is a little low but offset by the flexible schedule.

February 14, 2022
Thank you for sharing a review! It’s great to learn that you enjoyed your experience on our team.

Somewhat good flexibility, but there is no job security

To give some background information, I was working as English essay tutor for both the general K-12 and for college students.If you are just starting out, this could be a somewhat decent way to get experience. However, there is really no job security when it comes to a position here, and they expect you to learn everything on your own. Instead of having a workshop or job classes where someone teaches you what the company expects and the do's and don't's, they just throw a bunch of manuals at you and expect you to read every single one of them and remember every single policy. You are assigned a "mentor," at least, but it is not always helpful if they take days to respond. They also have "reviews" every so often, where your mentor looks over your sessions and sees what areas you are doing good in and where you could improve. However, the way they do it just does not work very well. Sometimes you will have a couple weeks in between review periods where you are continuing to work and making mistakes you may not realize you are making, and you won't know that until the review comes out. But by then, you will already have done previous sessions with those same mistakes before that review came out that will now be marked on the next review.The one decent thing about this job is that it is remote and has flexible hours. But, again, do not let that fool you. You have to compete with other tutors for scheduled hours, so sometimes you have weeks where you simply don't get any. Pretty much the only other way to get work besides blocking in the hour is to "float," where you log in and -

Pros

Remote, flexible hours

Cons

Have to learn on your own, not always clear on what they expect from tutors, have to compete for hours, no job security

February 14, 2022
Thanks for taking the time to share a review. We are proud to maintain rigorous application, onboarding, and quality assurance processes for our tutors, and we strive to create a positive and safe experience for partners, learners, employees, and tutors alike. If you would like to share more about your experience, we would love to connect with you. Please contact us at tutorsupport (at) tutor (dot) com.

Flexible hours; work from home; effective teaching environment

As a retiree Tutor.com enables me to continue to utilize my knowledge and training in a satisfying, meaningful way. The online tutoring environment provides an effective way of interacting one-on-one with students. Management is supportive and the mentoring provided has helped me improve my tutoring techniques. The most challenging part of the job is having to quickly assess a student's needs and devise an effective approach that leads to a positive education outcome for each session. The ability to set my own hours from week to week is a major benefit as is positive feedback received from students who feel they have benefited from this service.

Pros

Flexible work hours; quality control and feedback from mentors

Cons

The interface with students (the Classroom software) could be improved

February 11, 2022
We appreciate your review! We’re proud to provide opportunities for students—and tutors—to learn and grow. Thanks for choosing to support learners with us.The implementation of our enhanced classroom experience is underway. Stay tuned for updates!

Flexible work schedule with bonus pay; supportive and encouraging leadership

The best part of my job as a writing tutor is responding to and interacting with students--it's challenging and exhilarating. The hardest part of my job is responding to and interacting with students--it's challenging and, at times, stressful.

Pros

Flexible work schedule, bonus pay, intellectual freedom

Cons

No health benefits, interacting with rude/exploitative users

February 11, 2022
Thank you for accepting this rewarding challenge. We salute you for your efforts to engage students in the learning process, and we appreciate your review!

Good job with flexible scheduling.

I like that the job provides flexibility. Tutor.com provides plenty of resources to help you succeed. This help includes a mentor that helps you grow as a tutor. The growth approach starts from the top.

February 11, 2022
Thank you for sharing your Tutor.com experience. We’re thrilled you’ve chosen to support learners with us!

Great part time work from home company

Tutor.com supports students at all educational levels and backgrounds. Tutors have the opportunity to use their gifts and talents to help others beyond what they can learn in a classroom or when studying on their own. I like working for Tutor.com because, as a retired teacher, I can continue to share my expertise with those seeking a hand up the educational ladder. Tutor.com offers both live homework help sessions and asynchronous sessions with approximately 24 hour turn around time. Live homework help can be via chat, voice, or voice and video on the Classroom app. Either way, students are offered feedback and coaching to provide an educationally sound experience.

Pros

Great for part time employment, work from home, schedule work time for my convenience, students and tutors are not allowed to share and/or use personal contact information

Cons

Some students think tutors do their homework for them, students often rate tutors poorly when they don't do homework or give answers, remote contact can lead to misunderstandings

February 11, 2022
We’re honored to serve learners of all ages and stages, providing opportunities for students—and tutors—to learn and grow. Thank you for choosing to support students with us. We appreciate your review!

Flexible schedule

It's a great company if you need a flexible schedule to work and like helping students. There is work available at all times. You can pick your schedule in advance or just log on when you want to work.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

No benefits or paid time off, pay is monthly

February 11, 2022
Thanks for sharing your review and highlighting the flexibility of your role. We’re happy to have you on our team!

I Love Working Here

This is a work from home job, and I can either sign up for scheduled shifts or "float" depending upon my needs. I usually float because that suits my needs better. I help college students with their essays, either with live chats (voice or text) or in an asynchronous format. In order to get this job I had to pass some very difficult tests, but I made it and love working here. I feel like I am helping students be successful in their college career.

Pros

The schedule is very flexible, the work challenging, and the standards very high.

Cons

There was a bit of a learning curve when I first started.

February 11, 2022
Thank you for sharing your Tutor.com experience. We are proud to maintain rigorous application, onboarding, and quality assurance processes for our tutors, and we’re so happy to have you on our team supporting learners!

Flexible job with low pay

I worked as a writing tutor and a Spanish tutor. I enjoyed reading the different papers submitted in the async writing sessions. I learned a lot while building my resources that I used to assist the students. The job flexibility is great! The pay is not.

February 11, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to share this valuable review. It’s an honor to provide opportunities for students—and tutors—to learn and grow. We are engaged in our periodic review of pay rates for various subjects, and we’re excited to continue improving the Tutor.com experience for learners, tutors, employees, and partners.

Flexible schedule

Tutoring online filled the void after I retired from a lifetime career of high school classroom teaching. I love being able to continue to interact with students of all ages all across the country. The flexible schedule and the fact that I can do my job anywhere is fantastic. There is a great deal of support from management and the overall culture is one of encouragement.

Pros

Flexible schedule and working with students.

Cons

None as far as I am concerned.

February 11, 2022
Thank you for sharing your Tutor.com experience and for choosing to support learners with us!

Common questions about Tutor.com

Answered by current and former employees at Tutor.com

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tutor.com. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Tutor.com.
Powered byComparably

Compare Tutor.com with

Learn about Tutor.com in popular locations

• Tutor.com
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?