U-Haul Employee Reviews

Found 3,366 reviews matching the search See all 3,563 reviews
A lot of work, for little pay
General Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasOctober 20, 2018
It is steady work, however, it is stressful. The benefits are very good compared to others. At any level, any position, you will work very hard for the pay you are receiving and will always feel underpaid. The work/life balance is hard to manage. With a General Manager, it is very difficult to maintain employees. The pay is very low and the job is hard...if they are doing what they are supposed to. With other mid-level management positions there is a big difference in the job description and what you do. The pay, nor the job title match the position requirements. You will always work harder than you get credit for. It is very hard to impress the higher-ups. Most of upper management is family, friend or favor. Very hard to move beyond General Manager or other similar jobs there. It is also a very male-dominated company.
Pros
Benefits, good friends
Cons
Not room for advancement, under paid
Wrong fully terminated
Road side agent (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 26, 2018
U have to make your self-available 32 hours Management Uhaul was paying $14hr until I was let go now they pay $10.50 most likely because of a new director. I was told because of an issue back in April they will have to let me go. This is Uhaul on a daily basis you take calls and help them to the best of your ability unless it is a customer caused issue or the truck is under warranty. I had a customer that had their own vehicle pulling a trailer, that customer needed help, however, in this case, the customer would have had to pay for the service because the customer was stuck because a customer caused an issue so he would have to pay for it and didn't want to pay.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Schedule not flexible after its set, have to make your self available 32 hours. Dont get a raise for two years, managers dont provide adequate feed back, and managers change fequently
Benefits a plus - Management needs work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutJanuary 5, 2019
I've worked for U-Haul for over 10 years. I've been a manager at other place of employment but the manager at this establishment doesn't know how to manage until things get out of hand and then wants to fire people on the spot. The culture at the workplace was fun sometimes but when you have family members working in one office it is not a good look. I learned to have patience working here especially dealing with customers and my co-workers. Benefits are great here which is a positive!
Pros
benefits, Pto
Cons
short breaks, management doesn't have your back in situations on the job
Good place for college students
Customer Service/Transfer Driver (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORJanuary 10, 2019
Wages for front line customer service staff are pennies above minimum wage, with no pay raises offered. Company uses low wage, part-time, front line people to maintain their high stock prices and stock dividends. Absolutely not the place to go to for work if you're looking to make a living; they specialize in hiring what they call "moonlighters" so they can pay them very poorly and keep them at part-time levels so they don't have to pay benefits.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No 15 minute breaks, poor management, no leadership, poor wages, nepotism rules supreme.
No control of your career
CSR ASM (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJanuary 30, 2019
I was excited to work here as I worked in the field at a U-Haul center, multiple centers actually. Going to the corporate office was not as fun as I thought it would be. The management only seems to care about what they got going on, not what their leads are doing on the floor. The leads are not even knowledgeable as I knew way more than they did, I even turned the lead offer down as I seen how they would act and I did not want to join that circle. Things seem to get worse as the management did not discipline employees who DID NOTHING and it made me work harder, which got me no where. I tried to transfer to multiple departments to leave this negative department and it was no luck on my end as they decided to let me go due to me voicing my opinions on how things were ran and they said I complained too much about everything and they let me go. I was one of the highest techs there who did more training and helped other techs more than the leads did. I had the highest chat ratings and call ratings. I did enjoy the work as a field computer support tech and want to further my next career in that field, but I do not recommend working for U-Hauls field computer support department as its a dead end.
Pros
Music while doing chats
Cons
Everything else
Great part-time job
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 11, 2018
This is my first job working outside and being active throughout the entire day. I really enjoy working at U-Haul. The management is very friendly and relaxed.

I work weekends (our busiest times), and it's a fast-paced environment. For me, that works really well. For others, that may not be the case.

I've learned a lot about basic mechanical skills and automotive maintenance.

I really enjoy it here. The only thing I'd critique is the compensation. I feel as though I'd be satisfied with a 10% raise.
Pros
Flexible schedules, great teamwork environment, fast-paced
Cons
Not enough time for lunch, compensation is low
Terrible general management and higher up
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Coram, NYDecember 10, 2018
First started working trained myself because salary gm management never showed up.learned from an employee who did everything wrong when she did come to work to tell em everything was done wrong..became asm within 6 months till audit came she decided to come to work..while my shift is over she was behind in her work and wanted to me come in and finish her side of the job ..I worked entirely by myself almost everyday her boss president I believe refuse to check cameras or help for that matter and got rid of me...also lied to unemployment about my firing have a phone conversation to prove it
Pros
Pay was alright
Cons
Work by yourself everything was sloppy on gm part
Not a Good Company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 17, 2018
The MCO was poorly managed. Problems were ignored until they became a bigger issue then someone was scapegoated to justify the expense or workers to get it fixed.
The insurance was a joke. Its an indemnity policy. You pay a monthly fee out of your check but the coverage is terrible.
Managers are either bullies or overworked and overwhelmed. The Chicago locations got a raise because the city passed a new minimum, but if you're in the suburbs its unlikely they'll give any pay raise.
And the company puts out anti-union propaganda. It proudly declares they are against unions.
Pros
Cons
Not an employee friendly company
Bad management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLDecember 9, 2018
Not a good place to work for. This place will stress you so bad. Hard work is Un noticed. Overworked underpayed. No job security. No room for advancement. They don't match 401k if just like you have a saving account saving your own money. Management stuck. They all work together to not get anything done.
Pros
Cons
Stressful due to gm
Lack of management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAJanuary 20, 2019
Poor management. Barely get a raise even when you cover shifts for everyone. Always going into work and clocking in. Always being yelled at for.other team members responsibilities. Never being able to move up because they don't want to train you.
Pros
Cons
Not able to take breaks on time. Poorly staffed.
Great Company Poor Management
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 18, 2018
The company is great but can sometimes be unfair for people with higher positions. First of all, there are only a few good mangers I have met and seen. The CEO is also great. However some of the higher up managers are unfair and do not care about their employees. Furthermore, job hiring is no longer based on skill, it is based on favoritism and who knows who which doesn't allow for advancement with certain positions in the company.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Unsafe conditions depending on job, extreme favoritism, little room for growth in smaller positions
Not a safe job due to more than strict and unfair Attendance Policy, Unfair Pay, not worth the stress from management, rather than customers
Escalation Agent (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 12, 2018
There are constant and very frequent changing guidelines in daily workload, micro-management, too strict of a attendance policy: If you ever call a day out due to sickness, your promotion is already off the table. If you treat U-Haul as your Life and not as your job, you will be fine. Don't expect to have a family/private life since you won't have time for that. There are "cliques" like in High School and people are getting favored over others. When it comes to getting payed, men (still) receive a lot of higher wages, seniority also does not count when it comes to wages. Additionally to the stress situations resolving customer issues, supervisors load on more stress instead of helping. The higher people rise on the manager scale, the less they actually work and rather socialize and "delegate" their workloads. Although working remotely from Home, you have the feeling that someone constantly looks over your shoulder and feel controlled - but even if they tell you that you are a supervisor - your hands are still bound and you still can not make decisions.
Pros
Fringe Benefits, work from home
Cons
clique-environment, need to be in the "in-crowd" to further advance, if you get sick you will not be promoted or fired, un-fair pay scales, senority does not matter
Stressful, Underpaid, Poor management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZOctober 18, 2018
Working at U-Haul was Stressful for a number of reasons. The training they provide is poor and considering the amount of work that is required the compensation is far from fair. The management is rude and unhelpful especially higher up the corporate ladder. U-haul believes it's managers should sit in their office twiddling their thumbs and micromanaging while the underpaid and overworked grunts struggle to keep up with the overwhelming workload. I would not recommend U-haul as a place of employment for even the most desperate job seeker.
Cons
underpaid, overworked, awful management
Wonderful place to work for people who are in school or wanting to have a p/t job.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Pearl, MSSeptember 27, 2018
I loved my location. My manager was awesome. I loved being able to interact with my customers and learn the ins and outs of that store. I loved getting my hands dirty installing hitches. I laughed very often when the customers were surprised when they found out I was the one working on their vehicle (being a woman). Never had one complaint. However, I wish I was getting paid more. I found out a year after I left the company raised salaries and people started getting commision installing the hitches and selling boxes.. go figure *facepalm*.
Pros
Can be slow paced, steady work flow and they have BENEFITS for p/t workers.
Cons
Pay was not that much at the time.
Needs better management and pay raise
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Margate, FLJanuary 28, 2019
Uhaul Is a great company. I would just recommend the choice of better management , and pay raise other then that, I have no complaints. I would recommend to some of my peers
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Low pay
Would Never Go Back
Transportation (Former Employee) –  Nation-WideDecember 2, 2018
I'm Not sure how I lasted five years...
No Pay Raise for three years in a row.
No/Poor guidance from Hands-Off Supervisor who didn't support his people.
Company Failed to embrace industry standard Safety concepts and protocols.
Position misrepresented in Job Ads.
Hired unqualified individual due to who he knew at the Company.
Couldn't take vacation when I wanted to.
Pros
It was a job were I found my own warm fuzzy from doing it well, and being appreciated by those I was in direct contact with.
Cons
Nearly Everything.
Nepotism and favoritism
Benefit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 17, 2018
If you don’t know someone or are not liked by someone they do what they can to get rid of you. There is a lot of nepotism in the company and they only promote who they like rather than who actually deserves it.
Benefits
Cons
Management and politics
Good for a second job
CSR/Field Relief Manager (Former Employee) –  Inkster, MIJanuary 11, 2019
Part time workers get flexible hours and even some benefits, but terrible place for management work. Salaried workers are required to work a minimum of 55 hours a week and are on call 24/7 for salaries so low it makes the job not worth it. On average, worked about 60 - 70 hours a week at $36000/year.
Pros
flexible hours for part timers, lots of chances to learn new skills, relaxed environment
Cons
low pay, borderline impossible sales goals, average less than 20 hours/wk.
Good ever all
Storage Manager/ Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 10, 2018
This company offers opportunity for advancement with in the company. They offer paid time off and the time off paid increases in the amount of time you are at the company. They offer paid sick time. They offer schooling and also depending on the schooling you can get paid for the schooling. They offer 401K opportunity for stocks. This company is a very good company to work for.
Pros
Pays well, avancemant with in and many more
Cons
Cut throat
Needs improvement
ASSISTANT MANAGER /CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  CAAugust 31, 2018
Good job for someone with no family, no school, and no goals to promote. Upper Management is not racially diverse. Average raise is 20 cents a year. Would not recommend friend or family. Only day they are closed is Christmas. Not much room for vacations. computer system is always crashing and never works properly.
Pros
You get to help people
Cons
No room to promote, poor raises, poor scheduling, poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U-Haul. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K
41K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP35%
In the Top 35% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at U-Haul.

Powered by Comparably