U-Haul Employee Reviews

Found 3,543 reviews matching the search See all 3,763 reviews
Forget being trained
CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SUPPORT (Former Employee) –  Work at HomeMay 25, 2019
For this being such a profitable company, it was very scattered and unorganized in the hiring process. It just seemed very willy nilly and should have been the first warning sign. The training is non-existent. It last for 2 days and then they throw you on the phones. Half the phone calls you take you weren't trained for, so you are having to ask for help constantly, but they want you to keep calls under 5 minutes. Good luck getting a response in 5 minutes. And their system doesn't work in the way that think it does. The breaking point was being lied to about benefits. I was told there would be benefits for "moonlighters" which is what they call therir part time but when I asked about it, I was told there were no benefits.
Pros
Work from home, decent pay for what you do
Cons
lied to, no benefits, no training
Don’t ask for anything.
Storage Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORMay 25, 2019
I was here for about 6 years. I never received pay raises without having to ask for them, in all my time there I only received $3 increase, even with minimum wage rising. They also only provide about half the tools for the job, which if you ask for anything to make it easier they tell you no. Management lacked on not only ground level at the store but all the wait up the chain. If you reach out to HR nothing gets resolved. And if you get assaulted by another employee, which you take that person to court and they get charged guilty you will still never hear any sort of empathy from the higher ups even though you reached out about it. They will drop your hours down and then demand you still do the same job in 12 hours as others in your district get 24. They’ll hire somebody to “help” you and then when that person doesn’t work out the hours are “no longer available”. The manager will tell you that you’re doing great and getting all the work done and then go behind your back and tell the higherups something different. This company is a horrible.

They also don’t care if you’re a single parent with a sick child. They schedule 4 hour shifts and demand you’re still there even with your child running a fever of 102 and have nobody available to watch them. Oh and don’t bother asking if you can come in the next day to do the work to keep things on track. You can document your work all you want but it work change a thing. Managers will always throw you down to make themselves look better.

The only positives are a handful of genuine people who might actually care about others. But
  more... they’re limited and hard to come across.  less
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Everything else
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 25, 2019
I miss working at uhaul . The job and the customers it was a great place and a great environment. Working there was great i looked foward to coming to work everyday .
Good and bad
U-Box Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXMay 25, 2019
Had to work in hot, cold, rain. Requires 100% outside. Learn as you go. New equipment. New uniforms. Loading and unloading ubox with forklift and donkey.
Pros
Own schedule
Benefits
good company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Work from homeMay 25, 2019
Good company to work for. Job was fast paced call after call until you go on break. You have to work weekends. Hours can be limited during off season times.
Pros
Good company, solid work enviroment
Cons
Work weekends required, part time gets no sick days or vaction. Have to call in sick if you want to have a day off.
It sucked!
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Hyannis, MAMay 24, 2019
It felt like no one in middle or upper management knew what the were doing.

And you really got the impression that they didn't really care if put yourself in unsafe working conditions just to meet their needs and wants.
Costumer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Escanaba, MIMay 24, 2019
I was one of the first employees at the uhaul location in exchange and it was a great place to work. Manager was pretty chill and willing to work with you if you have a second job. Plus the option of advancing within the company.
Pros
Great insurance flexible hours and just a good place to work
Helping the customer
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 24, 2019
I answered incoming calls from customer with varous concerns. I learned to let the caller hear from my voice that I will do my utmost to resolve their issues Also, I learned to remain calm and always professional when callers are irate. The hardest part of the job is trying to get assistance for someone stranded and the nearest tow truck or mechanic is about two hours (2) away and the weather is either hot, cold, or rainy. The most enjoyable part is able to bring joy to a caller that was angry.
Pros
Stock benefit
Cons
Not able to have a fixed schedule
Loved my job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCMay 23, 2019
I was an assistant manager in Myrtle beach work itself was great customer were great only a few draw backs but unprofessional housings on lot by manager was dirty lot itself was clean and organized by myself and the lady who cleaned out storage facilities she is great at what she does
Pros
Flexible hours when needed
Cons
Work in hot and cold wearher
Stressful
Reservation specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 23, 2019
The money is very good but in typical day you will get calls from customers and have no way to help them. Management is not there to help so your hands are always tied. I was a reservation specialist and was told that I would only be scheduling customers, that was not true and customer service complaint calls are your to deal with as well.
If it's not stressful then you're not doing your job right
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 22, 2019
I enjoy U-Haul I enjoy my boss I enjoy some of my coworkers I am customer service representative it's going to be stressful there's going to be a lot of walking around to do a lot of talking on the phone I was a cleaning lady for 4 years and I'm glad I found U-Haul and I don't feel like leaving anytime soon.
Pros
20% off discount of everything
Cons
Angry customers
productive workplace
Marketing Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 22, 2019
This is a great company that really encourages climbing up the corporate latter. This company offers so many unique opportunities to really bring all of the employees together. U-Haul is a strong advocate for healthy living and therefore incorporates any kind of healthy habits into the workplace. This company is much more than just a place to work, the people here become like family
Appreciate your Employees
CUSTOMER SEVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LA 70119May 22, 2019
U-haul need to better show appreciation to the employees because they work really hard . also management could be more aware and take notes of how their employees feel about the Company . Not asking questions About the company from the employees shows the lack of effort management takes to encourage employees which in turn shows lack of interest from the company and that resonates to the customers and the employees thank you .
Not a bad place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Washington StateMay 22, 2019
I've been working for the company for about 3 years and I don't mind the job. If you're a hard worker and work without being told, it's very easy to advance. Most stores have a garage-like atmosphere so if you're offended easily, it might not be the place for you.
Pros
They'll work with conflicting schedules
Cons
if you're part time the benefits and perks suck
Bad management
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDMay 21, 2019
manager is a a bully and loves drama.She cuts your hours if you do or say anything that she feels is against her. She makes it known that no one will belive us about the abuse she puts us thru because she has been with uhaul so long. She shows favoritism She hires addicts or people with mental illnesses I have seen 13 employees go in a short time span There is only one common denominator and that's the GM if you have the guts to go to upper management it backfires on you and you are treated worse.
Pros
Co-workers are great
Cons
Management is abusive and a bully
My time at Ummm-Haul
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 21, 2019
It was very different experience dealing with big trucks. I grasp on to learning part of the job. Just didn’t feel organized or steady. It was so many tasks not enough time to do them because it was barley any workers.
Cons
No breaks you were alone most of the time.
Quota
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85006May 20, 2019
This was a positon where you were required to make quota, which was not disclosed to me previous to employment. Not many opportunities for mentoring or help when needed, more of hands on and learn by your own errors than having someone to help guide you.
Good
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMay 20, 2019
Good part time job, people are good to work with, with no drama. My schedule includes weekends off, which I like because I enjoy going to the beach on the weekends.
Pros
Get off at noon
Cons
No benefits for part time employees
Favorite place to work ever
PM Technician (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMay 19, 2019
Beat place ever to work ! Management is awesome very understanding of homelife .As long as you do your job you will love working here .Only 1 bad thing is the pay is horrible and i hate to say but will have to eventually leave to find better pay .I really hate to even say that but its the truth ! Compared to other mechanic/technician jobs this is lowest around honestly i think jiffy lube and wal mart mechanic get paid more ! If you are looking for great job with low pay then Uhaul is for you ! If you are looking for better pay than average minimum then best keep looking ! On a scale 1-10 everything about the job is 10 except the pay !
Pros
Very relaxed place to work .coworkers are great to work with!
Cons
Only 1 con ! The pay is very low compared to other mechanic jobs
Not the best job experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAMay 18, 2019
it's a good job if you need one, manager at my site was never there and neglected all communication and attention towards me after i got hurt. I learned how to fill propane tanks and hook up trailers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U-Haul. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K
41.1K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at U-Haul.

Powered by Comparably