U-Haul Employee Reviews

Lots of opportunity until your stuck
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 20, 2018
U-Haul is a nice company. I think the management is pretty laid back. If you are smart and hard working, you will stand out and move up quick. The company structure is very lateral with very little vertical opportunity. When you get to the horizontal positions, there is slim to no chance to move up. Family plays a large role. They never fire the higher ups, so you could be stuck until someone dies to move up past the many horizontal positions.

The good news is that if you are well liked then you will always have a job. Literally. Results don’t really matter unless they want to get rid of you. If you aren’t well liked then you will be gone quick no matter how much you work. Upper management hires based upon who they like and not qualifications.
Pros
Little supervision, autonomy, hire family
Cons
Long hours, 7 day work weeks, very little life/work balance, no advancement
wow not impressed
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZJanuary 20, 2018
Too much to write. I took this job because the MCP told me it was a great work to life balance. was absolutely not the case. The company requires you to work 6 days a week get Sundays off, 60 hours a week for little pay. Too much to write about. Still employed but looking for a new position somewhere else to have a work life balance
team work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  528 pratt rd madison wiJanuary 19, 2018
There were time when people didn't show for but everyone pulled together to make it work. They understood there were issue that people had outside of work. And with that it was positive work environment. And manager seen something in everyone that was brought to the team. If there was an issue it was addressed even with the customers. Hardest part of the job was dealing with a difficult customer. But we were there to problem solve and find the best possible solution to satifiy customer. Most enjoyable part of the job you weren't a lone in hairy situation everyone pulled together to find solution to best satify the customer. There are a lot of jobs that didn't. Being you screwed it up you fixed here everyone worked together.
Pros
every now then we got a coffee or lunch
Cons
customers that took advantage of a situation
Uhaul an employee's perspective
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJanuary 18, 2018
A typical day at work.

Great learning environment.

Management has great chemistry with employees.

Workplaces is a fun environment nice up pace
tempo.
more not available at the moment. Will keep you posted. Thanks : )
TRANSFER DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 18, 2018
Relaxed and on your own, no over the shoulder supervision, monthly lunches provided,
Hardest part of job is getting up in the morning.
Can leave when work caught up
Entry level job, not a career, unsatissfied with company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYJanuary 18, 2018
I myself do not have anything good to say about U-Haul, played to many games, worked there for almost 4 years and had issues with the company paying me and letting me know that my job was secure. Been trying to reach a manager in hiring for 3 months, 5 phone calls and 3 emails later and still nothing.
Pros
Christmass day is the only day off
Cons
Short breaks, alot of customer serivce.
The penultimate best position I have had.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 16, 2018
To summarize, this has been an absolutely awesome experience. I have worked with and hired some of the best people whom I have ever had the chance. The position has left me ready to make my next step in life.
Pros
Great Pay, Great People.
Cons
Sometimes confusing direction. Often unclear.
Great benefits
Area Field Manager (Current Employee) –  AZJanuary 15, 2018
Uhaul overall has great benefits but lacks the support for an employee to grow. Uhaul is extremely stressful and takes a certain person in order to be able to deal with a customer that is moving.
Very Productive work place
Reservation Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 15, 2018
I work with 6 woman and we all get along, When we get really busy we always help each other out. I learn something new everyday. The Management is awesome and understandable. Working with wonderful People.
Pros
working with good people
Cons
Customer service
Good Company
Area Field Manager (Current Employee) –  Williamsport, PAJanuary 13, 2018
Good company, but pay doesn't match job duties and responsibility. Hours took away family time. I would receive calls after hours. Management would push(and should), but set goals at an unworkable level. This would jeopardize relationships with current clients.
Good part time job
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Loves Park, ILJanuary 13, 2018
Decent job decent pay good managerial staff, only part time at u-haul and kind of too pushy on technological advancement which leads to undertrained staff. almost too much to do and not all employees are capable.
Pros
employee discounts on rentals, highly transferable
Cons
part time only
ok
Front Office Specialist (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 10, 2018
It is o.k. if you like to work part time and if you don't mind not knowing when you work until that sunday.
Most of the time I had a good day at work.
A nice temporary starting point
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  OhioJanuary 10, 2018
The company doesn't really have any advancement for customer service reps, but this is still a good place to start out and get some experience. They pay well, there is a 401k and overall it's not an overly difficult job.
Teamwork and awesome management to crew communication
Center Storage Manager/Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAJanuary 9, 2018
It is an awesome place to work, just make sure to ask about the maximum number of hours you can receive, understanding that you are paid bi-weekly so that you can determine how much you can possibly bring home, especially if you are only looking to have one job.
Busy during summer
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 9, 2018
Required to work open to close on Week-ends. This is about 65-75 hours per week. No bonus. No work / life Balance. Split days off. Could use more help, but can not due to budget will not support it. More help will drive more sales. Having equipment for rent is also challenging.
relaxed but can get fast paced at times
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Garner, NCJanuary 8, 2018
Typical days are relaxed. Customers are sometimes rude but only because moving is stressful but overall great jobs experience and work hours are vey flexible.
nice place to work
Area Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 8, 2018
do your job and you will succeed.
I learned the ins and outs of UHaul rentals.
Management was relatively fair. They certainly have their "pet" employees.
the hardest part was creating new UHaul dealers.
the most enjoyable part was creating new UHaul dealers.
Company culture is in need of change
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lemon Grove, CAJanuary 7, 2018
During my brief employment at U Haul, I have seen a slight change in overall leadership. The site was being turnover by a field relief manager to a general manager. The site has had little success in keeping management for long term, as well as entry level employees. The hourly pay was not much incentives to motivate the customers service reps from doing their job as effectively as they could. Certifications did not guarantee increase in hourly wages.
Pros
steady pay, interesting atmosphere
Cons
inconsistent work hours
Truck and storage rental
Assistant Manager/ Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 6, 2018
Busy days, especially weekends and end of the months. Sometimes a lot of hard work with little thanks, but there is a lot to be learned on the job. You can learn about vehicle, if you want to, and learn how to install hitches as well as wiring and electrical.
Its a good place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21215January 6, 2018
If the place didnt get robbed I wouldve stayed they had a great work environment making it easier when the place was extremely busy.I enjoyed my time there,

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U-Haul. Our community is ready to answer.