U.S. Air Force Employee Reviews

Cutthroat environment, poor management
Avionics Systems Instructor (Current Employee) –  Tinker AFB, OKApril 19, 2018
Although the Department of Defense has many beneficial programs to supplement the job such as education benefits and discounts on base the work environment itself is very poor. Advancement is rarely determined by abilities to perform your given duties, often times your promotion is based on how much time outside of work are you willing to volunteer with the community. Volunteering is a very beneficial activity and helps with the appearance and interaction with the community however your job performance should not be rewarded based on outside extra activities. Overall, the management and culture is poor. Everybody is out for themselves no matter what or who it costs in return.
Pros
Education Benefits
Cons
Healthcare, Promotion/Performance Reviews
Great Place to Work
Chief Enlisted Manager (Former Employee) –  Varous LocationsApril 19, 2018
Enjoyed being part of something bigger than myself, and doing work that had a larger impact than myself. Change seemed constant, which taught me flexibility. Most enjoyable part of my job is that no two days were the same, and that I was put in situations that fostered continuous growth and improvement.
Pros
Great stability and benefits program
rewarding and demanding
Law Enforcement Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYApril 19, 2018
Security Forces work12-14 hours four days a week. Many opportunities for advancement, training, and professional growth.Travel world wide opportunities.
Pros
compensation
Cons
work life conflict
Great stepping stone for young people or those with large families
Instructor Communications System Tech (CST) (Current Employee) –  Robins AFB, GAApril 18, 2018
Great benefits, good pay. The culture is shifting as is the manner in which the U.S. military is utilized overseas. Wasteful spending acceptable because the Congressional budget is set up in such a way that you must use it or lose it. Compliance with their demands is mandatory, but you have to really do your homework and jump through hoops to take advantage of what they offer.
Benefits
Cons
Obscure Mission and Deployments
Hard work and long hours.
F-16 Aircraft Armament Specialist (Former Employee) –  Shaw AFB, SCApril 18, 2018
I enjoyed working on the flight line very much, it is a satisfying experience to say the least. The hardest part of the job was working under those that expect the job done right in an amount of time that requires cutting corners. Although we always did the job done right the first time every time it was stressful.
Pros
Wearing the military uniform
Cons
Long hours, some missed meals
Security Forces
Tactical Response Force Trainer (Former Employee) –  Great Falls, MTApril 18, 2018
Security Forces as a whole is a good career path. However, if you can't stand pulling shifts and doing basic security and law enforcement then it is not the job for you. Their are specialized jobs in security forces.
Pros
Career path/retirement
Cons
Stressful
Good benefits
MQ-9 Sensor Operator (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 18, 2018
Great benefits, however it has changed a lot (for the worst) in the last couple years. Leadership does not care for people anymore, and overall it feels like its every man for its own
Pros
free helathcare, 30 days paid leave, stable paycheck
Cons
leadership does not look out for you anymore
Family-cultured work environment
United States Air Force (Former Employee) –  Dyess AFB, TXApril 18, 2018
With the right attitude, advancement and respect can easily be rewarded. Like any other job, it comes with sacrifices. On a personal level, those sacrifices may or may not be worth it. Overall, the military has given me a lot of successful skills to use as I transition into the civilian sector.
Pros
Work associates
Cons
Fast Paced
Good Experience
Aircraft Fuel Systems Craftsman (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 18, 2018
Good Experience, wouldn't have done anything differently. Worked 8 hour shifts (for the most part). Management was a hit or miss just like all jobs but there was some amazing senior leadership.
I enjoyed myself but it is time to move on.
Aerospace Ground Equipment Instructor (Current Employee) –  Whiteman AFB, MOApril 18, 2018
I taught everyday for the last few years it was fun teaching new airmen what they are suppose to be doing and what they are expected in the air force. The best part of the job is I have been to a few countries.
Pros
free healthcare
Cons
working hours
usaf
Enlisted Soldier (Former Employee) –  world wideApril 18, 2018
Four year enlistment. I spent three years at a Nato base in England came back to usa. Honorabally discharged ten months later. Enjoyed it very much but this was not a career for me.
Usaf
United States Air Force (Former Employee) –  World WideApril 18, 2018
Worked for USAF for 20+ years. Had some good bases, and also had some bead bases. Deployed 16+ time to the desert. Lots of time away from friends and family.
Pros
Job security
Cons
long hours, very little family time
air force
Information Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Eglin AFB, FLApril 18, 2018
I have not worked in the air force for a number of years so I really do not have a review to give to this website. I have not been employed with them since 2001.
Serve your country
Intelligence Specialist (Former Employee) –  Beale AFB, CAApril 18, 2018
This was a great way to do my part. i believe that the benefits outweigh any flaw that could be encountered. The USAF is a great springboard to launch one into a career as long as the person will do what it takes to get there.
Pros
honor to your family name, serve your country
Cons
sometimes deal with people who have rank but not the maturity to go with it.
Good work place
Passenger Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIApril 18, 2018
Typical work day started with a briefing, going over the schedule for today and work assignment. After that it was time to execute. There are Front desk, check-in, fleet, dispatch, and flight land. These are the work assignments. Work is done as planes land / take off. Also as roll calls are done to manifest passengers for flights.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Too many details to
Great Experience
Mission Manager/Department Head (Current Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDApril 17, 2018
It's great, it paid for college, it gave me job training, it helped me grow as a leader. Like any experience, you get back what you put into it. I loved deploying and living overseas.
Looking for more meaning in life?
Installation Entry Controller (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 17, 2018
The hours were long in security forces but worth the pride you feel leaving. Supervisors are fair and leadership knows there job. Interacting is the best part of the job because people look to you for answers. Do your job well and advance. You control you future and career.
Not for everyone
Weather Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  multiple locationsApril 17, 2018
The military is something that people have to take with a grain of salt, and they either will love it and excel or they will loathe it and fail. I would suggest if you aren't sure then talk to people that have been in it. Don't just hang your decision on the positives or negatives that you may hear, but rather do your homework and be prepared to give everything you have to make it a career.
USAF Review
Pavements and Construction Equipment Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Randolph AFB, TXApril 17, 2018
Great Job Satisfaction. Fast paced job in the Space Industry. Interaction with several customers and various mission sets within the space industry. Travel opportunities and training.

High stress environment. Long hours and managing many competing requirements from multiple customers in a fast paced environment can be quite challenging at times.
The Most enjoyable part of being in the U.S Air Force
Maintenance Supply Manager (Former Employee) –  Beale AFB, CAApril 17, 2018
Being able to travel, and see place I would never be able to see. Working with so many different types of people, learning new ways to do things and teaching others new ways.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Air Force. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5

InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight