U.S. Air Force
Happiness rating is 75 out of 100

U.S. Air Force Employee Reviews

United States27,446 reviews

Found 27,446 reviews matching the searchSee all 29,032 reviews

Great place to work, nice people. Would recommend, knowledge is pervasive nice facilities. parking is adequate, campus traffic is moderate and landscaping is quality

its the military

just read what you signed up for, the training is important get the most out of job skills and dont just pick a job you want to research especially when it comes to daily tasks

U.S. Air Force insights

Based on 5,581 survey responses
What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose

Experience May Vary

Your career is in your hands. Depending on location and overall base will depend on whether you like your job or not. No one's experience is the same however you have the option to move sections and bases throughout your career. Would not recommend basing your experience on just one section or base.

Pros

Leadership, advancement.

Cons

Leadership can change a lot.

Good for those who like to move

I believe the Air Force is a good place to work depending on the job and where it is stationed. You get to be a part of a community of people like yourself. Being overseas is a blast. I wish that I could have stayed there longer, I would have done 20 years instead of 4.

Great growth

Challenging, but supportive work. Felt my efforts always counted towards helping mould leaders. Feedback from the troops proved very beneficial and rewarding.

Pros

Pride in success

Cons

It was the best decision made for me at the time. I have no problem with recommending this job for anyone. I would encourage our young people to at least consider the military.

Benefits

Cons

You belong to uncle sam

The benefits is the best, Th would say the most important part is when the job is done you feel a sense of accomplishment. You feel like a family and the leadership is ready to mentor you and guide to to be better.

Human Resources

It's a good career to go into if you're looking to do more within human resources or project management. I recommend it over a regular administration job within the military.

The people, a double edged sword

The only good thing about the military is the people, you'll meet some life long friends. In turn, you and your friends will deal with some of the worst supervision and commands known to the modern day.

Productive Workplace

Always was teaching me new tech skills that could make me more valuable in the future. They did a really good job training and preparing you for the role.

Ehh

Could be better, could be worse. If you enjoy losing your freedom, go for it. Leadership and bosses do not know how to train, a lot of them only care for their self and kiss butt. Everything they can to move up. Commander was a complete chode. Medical will not do their job and fight tooth and nail to not get you looked at by a professional.

Busy and rewarding place to work

Enjoyed my 21 years and the wonderful colleagues. There were lots of challenges but also a lot of opportunities for growth. The therapist position also came with a lot of leadership opportunities as well which added to what made this a stretching but also rich and rewarding experience

Great life

Get what you give in the military. Great structure and perfect for routine individuals. Great way to ruin your life as well if you don’t pay attention to what you’re doing.

Pros

See the world

Cons

Deal with all walks of life

Great working environment

Great place to work and space to grown professionally, great benefits to include retirement, vacation and sick time just to mention a few of the great benefits

Serving your country is an honor

Loved the Air Force. Very family oriented and they go above and beyond to meet the needs of their service men and women, and their families. Great way to serve your nation and to acquire the skills you need for success no matter what your aspirations.

Travel lots of places, some you don’t even want too!

Its a guaranteed paycheck on the first and fifteenth will massive be if it’s, from medical to meals to housing and travel. But, it can be very stressful at times. Work/life balance can be hard to maintain. Your mileage and stress level will vary with what career field you are.

Pros

Healthcare, Housing, 30 days paid vacation a year

Cons

War, leaving family for long periods of time. Cycles of slow promotions

It's the military

I mean... it's the military. Whether or not you're going to have a good experience depends largely on your leadership, local policy, and your ability to write off the garbage and push through. Depending on the job you have, it's no different from any other office environment.

Take advantage of and focus on the positives and you'll have a better experience.

Bottom Line: Do the initial 4/6 yrs. Take advantage of everything you can then get out.Work hours vary by career field. Skills learned are mostly transferrable to the civilian workforce. Highly recommend that you take advantage of all the benefits offered through a four or six-year contract and get out. Use(!) the education benefits while you're in (or after if you have to) to acquire civilian certifications. An Air Force career will provide amazing opportunities and a full spectrum of benefits, and I have encouraged my friends to take advantage of them. Con: On the other hand, the longer you are in the harder it is to promote, and while the benefits are exceptional for supporting a family, deployments and moves take their toll. Also, civilian jobs of similar pay are harder to get, making the transition more difficult. Sum it up: A great choice. Benefits typically out way the negatives, initially at least. Results may vary.

Mission Focused, Team Centered Organization

The Air Force is still a highly capable, team centered, mission focused organization. However, national political agendas have changed the way the military operates, significantly degrading readiness, morale and esprit de corps. As a result, recruiting and retention are suffering.

Pros

Teamwork, Mission focus

Cons

Diminished morale, Weak senior leaders

Right choice for many, but miles vary wildly depending on location/leadership.

ProGreat benefits/opportunitiesGreat community cultureLower Rank is very easy to climb w/wits or just enough timeConIncompetent airmen climb rank with enough time too. They turn into incompetent SSgts.Bad/Good/Mediocre, doesn't matter they are forced to mentor/lead newer generations.Community culture is very much forced, you don't get a say.

Stressful but many pros to this lifestyle

As much stress as I endured during my time in, I got to experience so much I never would have without serving. Seeing different countries, cultures, meeting people from all over the world. Education and health benefits, and entitlements make the “low pay” all worth it. I wouldn’t change anything if I could go back in time; everything was worth it.

Common questions about U.S. Air Force

Answered by current and former employees at U.S. Air Force

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Air Force. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.0Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight