U.S. Air Force

U.S. Air Force Employee Reviews for Personnel Specialist

Productive. Like a family.
The army life has always been like a family. The hardest part of the job is the monotone. Challenge yourself to learn and grow. Take classes and learn new skills every chance you get.
Horrible
They don’t know how to take care of their people. I joined to travel and got stuck in the middle of no where. Horrible experience and horrible care from military doctors and horrible people have too much power. Hated it
Office space was a fun environment, work hard play hard
They really take care of you. It's like a family culture. I couldn't change jobs therefore I didn't really enjoy it, if I could I probably would've enjoyed it a lot more. Benefits are superb, work life balance is second to none.
Pros
Benefits, free schooling, educational classes, fun activities, culture, respect, paid leave, ability to travel the world, deployments
Cons
Can't choose who you work with, exercises, Pt, "fun runs", can't always choose your next location.
Challenging and rewarding work environment
You learn many new and challenging ways to handle different types of scenarios, ranging from deployments, retirements, military members Tricare benefits, and reserves everyday questions regarding employment.

Hardest part of the job is meeting deadlines for many reserve members in a minimal time period. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping your fellow reserve members with complicated issues that are not normally dealt with on an every day basis.

Managing and running the Force Management section smoothly is a very important priority to running my section.
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
crammed meetings in a busy schedule
Depends on what you need
Being a reservist is a tough balance between every-day work, family, and the once-a-month obligation. The benefits can be great, but it's not for everybody.
Pros
Part-time military commitment
Cons
Balancing military needs and personal needs
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Productive and great place to work.
Shifts vary, on call 24-7 (365). Can be stressful at times, pay is reasonable. Great place to work if you like to travel. Thirty days paid vacation per year.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Could relocate on short notice.
Best Decision I ever made
Support the mission and be combat ready at all times. Love the Air Force and support the mission. Most eenjoyable part is being part of a team and family that stick together threw everything.
Pros
Leadership
Cons
Sacrifice time from family
Personnel Specialist
Awards and decorations, promotions, training, finance, academics and enrollment counseling. Customer service and assisting active duty military to achieve their goals
I loved being in the USAF. It opened many doors for me.
As much as I loved the USAF, I left for one reason, I had a child and I was a single parent, therefore, during that time, late 70's, I would have had to give up custody of my child to a family member. My child needed me; therefore, as much as I hated to leave the USAF, I chose to leave so I could raise my child.

To this day, I am grateful for the many doors the opened by the USAF. I would recommend serving your country in any branch of the service. The benefits you receive are worth those 2 or 4 years served.
Pros
travel over the US and the world
Cons
single parenthood was not acceptable in the 70's.
Personal growth and Outstanding opportunities
The U.S. Air Force has made me a better person. It has allowed me to get out of my comfort zone, grow tremendously, offer me opportunities to travel, and expand my skills. I have become stronger/better in all aspects - mentally and physically. Joining the Air Force is the best decision I have ever done!
Pros
Stability, Travel, Challenges, Free Room/Board
Cons
Time away from loved ones
Good Benefits
The military is always better when you do not have a family. I worked at on base for 5 years, where I had no control over my life under that leadership. I got out and, the only thing I miss is TRICARE and my paycheck.
Pros
Tricare & cola
Cons
Crazy work hours, your boss controls your life
Invigorating workplace
The best job i have ever had in my life. Basis on how i work now. Gave me drive and structure and taught me what it was like to work on a team...And look forward to giving that energy to another company.
Productive and Constant Growth Opportunitties
The Air Force provides you with all of the tools in order to grow both in and out of the service uniform. They are both sufficient and care about every military member.
Us air force
I joined the AF when I was 18 years old and never regretted a minute of it. They gave me opportunity for advancement and travel and meeting new people with opportunities I would have never had any where else. The AF gave me the courage to learn.
US Military
Loved being in the Air Force! I was able to travel to Saudi Arabia and view other cultures very different from our own.

Being stationed at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma, I enjoyed a great base gym, dorms and office setting!
Pros
Travel and decent pay for a single person!
Cons
Some extensive hours.
Productive workplace
A workplace that was an essential cog in the AF wheel to allow its members to Fly, Fight, and Win in many fields of operation and locations around the world.
I served in the military for almost 5 years and I honestly if I could go back and do it again the same way, I would. Military helped me in so many ways with not only my family but myself. Typical work days were from 0700-1630 Monday thru Friday. Or if I was in my first job I worked more days and different times than regular Air Force members since I was s cop on the base. I had the chance to meet a great group of people in two career fields.
Pros
Great medical care, took care of my family and myself, met great people
Cons
Less time with families in certain jobs.
Challenging
A typical day in the military starts as early as 5am. I walk to work. Every day I leave my job learning more and more information about my position. The workplace is hectic at times, but that's customer service for you. We are a team, my coworkers as well as my superiors work together to fix any problem that cant be handled alone. The hardest part of my job is being patient. The most enjoyable part of my job is when my customers thank me for a job well done. Appreciation doesn't come often, so when it does, I am appreciative.
United States Air Force
Benefits are great, military is military. IF you do not want to move on someone else's time and do what they say when they say it then it is not the job for you.
A great way to advance in your career.
During my time I enjoyed my job in the military. Its like a family away from family. Leadership won't always be perfect, but the experience is definitely what you make of it. Definitely worthwhile.
Interesting people, interesting places.
I assisted military personnel with international travel documents. I learned how to manage my work load effectively and efficiently. Dealing with management I learned how to properly delegate work, and to take delegation. In the work place I enjoyed the camaraderie, the trips and also the many different people I encountered. The hardest part was the extremely long hours and less opportunity for personal growth.
Pros
Healthcare, fun workplace
Cons
Short notice for work.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Air Force. Our community is ready to answer.
16.4K
InHerSight Score
3.2Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
3.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight