U.S. Army
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from U.S. Army:

U.S. Army Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA386 reviews
Eh
It is the military so the job is the job, overall the military is not a bad place to be in but for some, myself included, it is not the end all be all.
Productive and educational working environment
The various people and skills that come together to complete the project built a great working environment. The ability to learn from various individuals and have input during meetings regardless of status showcased the extraordinary management that most possessed. The hardest part was being away from family for long periods of time. Leading, teaching and mentoring those junior to me and assisting them in their growth was a great bonus for me.
Good Projects
Good Technology.
Good Management.

Chance to learn new technologies.

Good coworkers.

Good software technologies used.

Sometimes you would feel that there are too many meetings.
Culture, Culture. Culture
With the all inclusive pay and benefits incentive, the major shock will be the culture. Keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut. Learn what you can from everyone you meet and you will succeed in all areas.
It was a great teaching experience
The provided a lot of benefits and opportunities to further myself in an HR career I appreciate all of the knowledge I obtained in my time in the military and can move on with a skill set
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Toxic
If you want to be treated like a child by grown men your age (and possibly younger), if you enjoy being demoralized on a daily basis, if you enjoy stacks upon stacks of unnecessary paperwork that always seems to come down at the last minute, and power point briefs that have nothing to do with your job, JOIN THE ARMY!
The time i spent in the Army was great i learned a lot! The soldiers were all great the time there was great the pay was good the benefits were great.
Pros
Pay, environment, welcoming, supportive
Cons
Pay compared to the hours worked, not enough personal or family time, work locations usually states away from family
great place to learn and meet new people
always challenged with bettering yourself, for every one bad apple there is three good ones. Great way to get out and learn about yourself and the world we live in
Learned alot and gained wonderful experiences
Accompished missions at both the White House and pentagon with excellence. Gained discipline ans self discipline to a high degree. Gained good work ethic and became very adaptable to any situation.
Working with Soldiers and Family
Helping Soldiers and Family on a daily basis. Helping Soldier update records, process actions.
Every day is a learning process together with handling customer

great work environment.

There is nothing that I'm not able to handle when it comes to my job as a human resources specialist.
It's a waste of time working for department of army civilian side..
Working as a civilian for the department of army is a joke it's the worst ever, the agency don't know what their doing,they have a good old boy system which is definitely in effect. They don't appreciate the good people that work for them, promotions go to people that don't deserve it,people have been there for years and have been over looked for promotions. Department of Army civilian life sucks..DON'T WORK FOR THEM!!!!
Work Experience
I really loved my position here, I learned alot about the ranks and achievements of soldiers here. It was a temporary assignment, so I made the best out of it.
Us army nco: 35f / 37f mos qualified
MILITARY BIOGRAPHY
RANK,STATUS: SERGEANT, DISABLED COMBAT VETERAN (AFG-2011)

ENTRY

Enlisted in May 2009 as an Army Reservist.

35F / 37F MOS Qualified (Intelligence Analyst and PSYOP Specialist).

COMBAT DEPLOYMENT

Combat Deployment in January 2011 to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Operated in multiple provinces and conducted key missions to eliminate threats against United States of America and her allies. My combat deployment experience was extensive in working in direct conjunction with NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization), ISAF (International Security Assistance Forces), CF (Coalition Forces), and other elements in both lethal and non-lethal operations.

Returned home safe in March 2012 and completed additional military and civilian education. Graduated with Bachelor of Science degree in August 2012.

Met A LOT of awesome people throughout my proud and dedicated Army career. I enjoy and take personal responsibility and accountability for taking care of EVERY soldier in my command.

RECOMMENDATIONS

This job will prepare you for all avenues and directions of your life. The United States Army is a great resource for job skills, training, and networking. It way take care of you as long as you follow simple directions, know when to speak and when to listen, take all directions from leaders and especially respect your NCOs - whether you agree with them or not. WE are the BACKBONE of the Army. It is our job to train, guide, teach, mentor, and prepare juniors/peers/superiors alike for combat.

This job is NOT for the following:
 - more...
The goal is to complete the mission
As a pharmacy technician my responsibility was to provide medications to the service members and their families. Filling and dispensing medication in the outpatient or making and delivering IV medication inpatient pharmacy.
Good
Very good thing we have the Army to protect us. They have great programs and alot of things to teach. The United States government is a very good company to work for.
job security
overall the army has done a lot for me and.my family. Benefits are great, training, and some adventurous experiences. i got to travel the world and deployed to Iraq. it was a good experience of lifetime.
as with most demanding jobs, the work life balance is a difficult one to manage at times, but it kind of evens out in the end. As long as your management chain of command is understanding, it makes the rest of it a breeze.
Go Army it’s a great place to work DoD civilian
I loved my job at Ft McNair DC. Working on base is nice you get all the military benefits as a civilian but no war. Leave policy great. Working on base has great perks. Fitness facilities and lots of nature on military bases.

Leave policies are great.
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Typical work day for Army Civilian "GS" employee is usually the 9-5 grind. There are some opportunities to travel and earn occasional overtime dependent on the mission task(s) at hand. What I learned is the Army has a high level of ignorance and stubborn arrogance when it comes to digital marketing and online advertising. Most senior leaders care more of their careers than the long term good of the Army and are willing to lie for it. Despite these negatives it is still possible to do your job. Hardest part of the job is watching your back from firmly established bureaucrats that have more time on their hands to create drama then actually execute work related functions for the good of the mission. The most enjoyable part of the job is despite drawbacks you can seriously measure results of your labors, try to save the taxpayer's money and do good for the Army by attracting to notch recruits to serve their country. HOOAH.
great
loved it and I would love to actualy do it again some time in the near future thank you for the chance at an experience of a lifetime. I miss the old work I use to do
Drug testing keeping the work place drug free
Working with all branches of service and civilians. conducted training to the service members on how to conduct a drug test with in Army Regulations. Testing Civilians randomly to ensure drug free environment.
Pros
Working with all branches of service
Cons
The commute
Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Army. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3
InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.1Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight