U.S. Army

U.S. Army Employee Reviews for Network Systems Operator

Military experience
I would not recommend that you make it a life time career I do however believe that it can be the necessary means to achieve goals you may not have the tools to reach at the time of looking.
Good benefits with a comfortable life given by the army
The army isn't the worst thing in the world, a lot of people hate but i do not mind it too much. I will be separating soon but that is because i wish to make more money than what the army offers as enlisted.
Competitive Job Environment
You are only limited by your desire and your motivation to be the best Soldier you can be. From athletics to job performance you always have areas you can shoot to accel at.
Learned a lot with the shop and location I was stationed at.
I have worked with multiple pieces of equipment within the US ARMY.
The time spent with everyone who valued knowledge has greatly increased my skill set within the networking realm.
lots of teamwork
Lots of work but its totally worth it. it will teach you a lot about yourself and how you you operate under stress. it will teach you discipline and a work ethic that not a lot of people have
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Great Starter job for anyone
Great resume builder learn new skills and get to meet new people. Teaches new skills not just job related but how to manage people along with critical thinking.
Family life
Always in the field or deployed. Re-deployed, went on 6 field ops, each lasting anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 weeks. Expect to deploy every year, I have deployed two times in three years UAE and Kuwait.
Work until the work gets done
Networking was not only my job in the Army, but other stuff also needed to be done, mission preps included Vehicle readiness, setting up equipment in different weather, it always depends upon location. 24-hour operations accrued at every mission making sure the network does not go down. If it ever did we report to our chain of command and proceed with troubleshooting steps finding out why, when, and bringing the network back up in a fast timely manner.
Depends on the Unit
Some Units were good others were mediocre. Most leaders actually tried and cared, but there were several who were only in it for them and used their subordinates to get ahead. Over all not a terrible place but could be better
Best Job In the World
Been enlisted for roughly 5 almost 6 years. Best time of my life great memories. Ready for what the future holds I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon!
Good for some
The Army is good for some people, but not for everyone. It really depends on what you are looking for, in my honest opinion it is more suited for single individuals than for married people.
Pros
Benefits
Cons
Always away from home
Great opportunities
Long hours and hard work. Lots of 4-5 day weekends/holidays. Capability of advancing quickly through the ranks. Camaraderie throughout fellow pears.
Very busy, not a day when there wasn't something to do
Everyday there was something to be done. Could be as simple as preforming maintenance checks or as complex as doing a full service on a vehicle or technical equipment.
Army
It's the Army, you leave your house at 5 in the morning and you'll be lucky if you get home at 5 in the evening. You could be the dumbest person in the world, if you can PT, you'll get promoted quick, because that's all that matters. You know your job in and out, so what, can you get a 300 on your PT test, that's all that matters.
U.S. Army
The army has helped me with dealing with stressful situations in a calm manner, as well as multitasking during mission critical taskings that aided in completing the missions.
Satisfactory
The job I was trained for I learned to do well, getting to do my job however was sometimes tricky with the side work that needed done. The best part however was the comraderie of everyone I met.
discipline
The hardest part of this job was being deployed. A normal work day was doing vehicle maintenance and a lot of down time in the states. You really do your job in the field or deploy.
Productive and knowledgable workplace
Show up for workouts at 0600 in the morning then show up for work call at 0930. Throughout the work day we are giving different task to complete before being released for the day which is at 1700 but time may vary. I've learned to be patient, flexible, and communicative. The hardest part of the job has to be being around the same people 7 days a week.
Pros
Education
Cons
Strenuous activities
Great Benefits, Horrible Management
Your benefits are consistent throughout the Army, however management and treatment is not. Don't go in expecting things to make sense because they wont, or for you're chain of command to make effective decisions.
Productive workplace with a very small amount of chaos.
A typical day at work consisted of what we would usually call grunt work or simple jobs that all soldiers in the Army have to do on a weekly basis. Most of us, especially soldiers in Information Technology world of the Army, we don't work on our equipment on a regular basis. Most of the experience we get with the equipment to include; routers, switches, multiplexing devices, and virtual machines on servers, is when we are in the field, on mission, or preparing for a mission. When we are on mission or preparing for a mission is when we learn the most about our equipment, and there is always something new to learn. The hardest part about the Army has to be that not everyone is on the same page throughout the chain of command, which almost happens on a daily basis. To be honest the most enjoyable part of the job is when you are left alone to work on the equipment, get the network up and running, and when nothing goes wrong with it.
Not for me
I thought it could be something that I could do for a long time, and then slowly but surely I would wake up everyday more and more miserable. Imagine being 25 and being treated as if you were 6 years old. If you’re not married, say goodbye to over $400 a month just so you could eat subpar food from a building that probably wouldn’t pass a food safety inspection in the civilian sector. No overtime either.