U.S. Bank Employee Reviews

Found 6,261 reviews matching the search See all 6,293 reviews
Not what it used to be
Manager (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaDecember 3, 2018
Until recent changes at executive level it felt like a company who cared about people. This is changed drastically for the worse in the last 2 years. Now it feels everything is about nickels and dimes. Recent layoffs are one obvious example; in the ten previous years the company bent over backwards to avoid layoffs, this year there are massive layoffs, and as part of the severance package the company will not vest previously awarded Long Term Incentive Bonuses that were already earned by employees and awarded to them.
Pros
People care about their jobs and doing right for the customers
Cons
Executive Management no longer cares for people, Lower compensation used to be balanced by job security but this is no longer true
Buying loans from other lenders.
Process & Fulfillment Associate / Contractor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 4, 2018
New computer program to do pqperless loan files. New systems take a while to get the kinks out, very challenging and stressful. Our duties were to upload loan documents in file order.Data entry of loan information, verify appraiser license, verify if in a disaster zone, Complete a 9 page checklist of information then upload to the file. Constant process changes and production goals were increased. My dept was 80% temporary contractors. They talked about hiring more permanent employees, I think I saw 5 jobs and 2 were in other states.
Pros
Culture, co-workers, team building
Cons
Work load, changing processes constantly.
Horrible.
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVDecember 23, 2018
I would never recommend anyone work here. The pay is outrageously low for the excessive amount of work you’re expected to do. They do not appreciate tenure whatsoever. If you’ve worked here for 4 years as a banker, the TELLER that gets hired will make more than you do even after “commission” which is also a joke. You have a minimum goal that while after that long is doable the compensation is not anywhere near worth the amount of effort that is required to attain those kind of goals. Management is completely worthless they only care about us banks “assets” which at the end of the day should be their loyal happy employees who bring in all the business. In all my years here I’ve never experienced a good manager and the turn over is insane because they completely mistreat and disrespect their employees. There is no way to advance unless you’re ok getting paid dirt and kissing butt.
Pros
None.
Cons
The job.
Typical office setting
EFCC Economic Sanction Adjudication Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 4, 2018
A typical day at work is just like any other normal office. I can do this job from home, I never see anyone really. All meetings are online. Management is good but sometimes unorganized. The culture is good I just feel like there are a bunch of cliques like back in school. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with everything they want us to know. Things change so fast all the time its difficult to know what is correct and whats not. I don't really find anything that fascinating about the position I am in currently.
Pros
decent salary
Cons
no room for promotion
Great
Business Consultant /Project Manager (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaSeptember 29, 2018
Well organized team ,provide a lot of work life balance. Well organized team ,provide a lot of work life balance. Well organized team ,provide a lot of work life balance Well organized team ,provide a lot of work life balance
Great people at all levels of the company - joining makepositive is like joining a family and everyone is supportive of each other and has a great time together
Interesting projects - I have worked at makepositive for 4 years and no 2 projects are alike
A great culture - coming to work is fun and there are always nights out and something for everyone
Pros
good compensation i have worked at 2 other consultancies and this is by a mile the best.
Cons
Sometimes very tight schedules
Challenging work in a rapidly changing industry
Personal Banker - Sales/Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDOctober 28, 2018
U.S. Bank expects excellence. Every possible aspect of your work is evaluated and coached to success. You must be highly driven to enjoy working there. There is tremendous intrinsic reward to helping customers achieve their financial goals and dreams. U.S. Bank has amazing benefits and has fair compensation. With the current regulatory environment and rapid industry change, it can be quite stressful to work there. The individual personalities of managers are reflected in their management styles and so management has it's strengths and weaknesses. The teams are small so it is imperative that you connect and communicate well with your manager. There is a tremendously high ethical standard and expectation.
Pros
Pension, employer contribution to HSA
Cons
Work home balance can be tough to maintain at times.
Ops Center: Recommend Only if a Job is Desperately Needed
Account Processor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 20, 2018
Note: this is an Ops Center, not a regular bank/teller location. Culture is stressful, dramatic, filled with gossip, and good performance is not rewarded. The few good managers are overshadowed by a sea of incompetence. Lower management is largely lazy, unskilled, uncaring, and unprofessional; enabled by mid management. Cliques among these groups prevent job growth, and can easily get one fired if one does not make friends with the right groups. Apply only if one desperately needs work; please seek anything else if looking for steady employment.
Pros
Health insurance, benefits
Cons
Terrible management, awful work culture
Fun if you are out going, grueling if you want to advance.
TELLER (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 25, 2018
We went through 2 managers while I was there. Both managers let go due to not following proper protocol, the current manager is actually a pretty awesome guy. The culture of the company is nice, and fun, and upper management is really involved in your training and support. If I have an issue, my district manager would always listen and support me.

In my time there I was targeted by a manager who retaliated against me for going up the chain of command about being yelled at for trying to find a ride for my wife, because the manager in question misplaced several thousand dollars. It was the first snow storm of the winter, and my wife was stuck out side of her work, and I am her transportation. USBank does not allow retaliation, and handled it well the second time around.
Pros
good benefits, off every holiday, off MLK day, bonuses are easy to gain, does not tolerate retaliation
Cons
hard to advance
Good ethical company. Good work/life balance. Below average pay and benefits
ETL Developer (Current Employee) –  Richfield, MNNovember 23, 2018
US Bank values and powers potential individuals to thrive and be more productive in their roles. It has good work/life balance. Work environment is not too stressful. It provides employees with free and paid resources to help them learn new skills and apply those in their jobs/life. It promotes diversity and inclusion in work place.
Pros
Work from home, decent benefits like corporate discounts and pension
Cons
Pay, healthcare, some management personnel are difficult to work with.
Okay place to work
Universal Banker (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 19, 2018
There are constantly staff changes, so the overall turnover is a lot. The company does great at offering fair wages when you first start, but them it seems like older more seasoned employees are for gotten about. It is really hard to earn incentive and when you do, it's not much considering the thousands of dollars you can make the bank with one loan. Moving around to different roles within the company is also something that can be worked on. there is what seems to be a one-size-fits-all approach to promotions, etc. The inter-staff teamwork is great though. The company does an excellent job at making sure positive, honest people are hired.
Pros
Free account, great benefits.
Cons
Lackluster incentive program

Want to know more about U.S. Bank?

Ask a question
Great company, but more to be desired
Business Technology Analyst (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 28, 2018
This company is a great company to work for, but if you are an individual in the financial forum, you would should expect to be paid far less than expected. Raises are a foreign language among management and rarely approved.
Depending upon the department that you work in, you do have the option to work from home and the work/personal life balance is a plus.
Some of the management in areas is under qualified for the positions in which they hold.
Pros
Ethical, WFH options
Cons
Pay, Management
Many varied job experiences available
Senior Vice President (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 1, 2018
Fast-paced and often stressful environment where there are many dozens of career tracks and a willingness to promote from within; job security, however, is not always part of the equation. Compensation in the professional ranks can be very competitive, salary plus bonus. Strong focus on performance on weekly and monthly basis and expectation for work beyond ordinary hours.
Pros
Good comp plus true pension plan. Opportunity to seek other positions.
Cons
Stressful environment and potential job insecurity
Company Under New Management
Foreclosure Specialist (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYDecember 25, 2018
I loved working at U.S. Bank when I first started with the company but as time went on they stopped doing all the extras for their employees. For example: Employee recognition for a job well done. They use to care about years of service like having employees who have been their longer get first pick of vacation days, like Christmas week. Then they did away with that Because it was "unfair to other employees"; why would that be unfair, we already put in the time to be able to have that bonus, we didn't always have seniority.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Positive and productive work place environment with upbeat leadership
Fraud Detection Specialist/ CPS Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDNovember 28, 2018
I learned so many new skills at US Bank. I was taught how to operate several different programs and computer systems which brought my keyboarding skills up to a highly functional level. I strengthened my ability to multitask and work efficiently when handling cases, filing fraid claims and corresponding with case processers.
The most challenging part of the job was also one of the most rewarding parts. It is never easy to inform someone especially an elderly citizen or person with a disability that their account has been accessed by someone who stole or attempted to steal their funds. The rewarding part was knowing I also was able to tell them they're fully covered in fraud protection and will get all their money back.
Management was very supportive and upbeat. We may have worked in cubicles but we had a work place community between colleagues.
Pros
On site cafeteria, overtime often available, great benefits
Cons
Headsets often didn't work well and would become painful to wear for long periods
Uncomfortable office evironment
LOAN PROCESSOR (Former Employee) –  BestBuy Corporate building in Richfield MNNovember 20, 2018
when i first started working in Corporate, the environment was very uncomfortable. I was judged upon my appearance and my manager at the time would receive emails from other managers stating that I was a distraction in the office. A few months later our specific department had moved down to the first floor. I felt advancing was extremely difficult if you did not have the applicable resources and connections. Prior of the lay off only the people that had parents that were ROMs or higher level managers were able to move departments before the lay off date. They were moved approximately 2 weeks before the date of the layoff.Due to my work credentials i was shocked when I did try and apply to other departments within US Bank after the lay off, when we were informed that we were able to apply to different positions and that our resumes would be prioritized first. I felt the work environment was unfair to others and there was favoritism within the company.
Pros
the flexibility of work hours
Cons
healthcare benefits
Exhausting
Customer Service Research Representative (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYJuly 30, 2018
When I was hired on, I asked if overtime was an option. I was told that it was. When I started, I realized that overtime was not an option, it was a requirement. My work/life balance dwindled significantly when I was working there and the job got more and more stressful. Because I was good at my job, I was expected to do other peoples' jobs as well. The management was lacking and the company is so micro-managed that I really can't blame my direct reports for the stress that I endured while working there. It paid decent, especially for where I was living, so it was worth my time. But I would not work here again nor would I recommend it to a friend or family member.
Pros
Hour long lunches, option to purchase vacation time, benefits
Cons
Poor management, heavy workload, mandatory overtime
Complex work, great work environemnt
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, CONovember 7, 2018
While working at US Bank, I found the job itself to be very interesting. There was about 2 months of solid computer training before I could sit at my desk and perform day-to-day duties. I did work with a great group of people, however I did have some doubts about management. Moving up in the company did not seem feasible in a timing matter however you did receive monetary awards on performance.
Pros
competitive compensation, good working environment
Cons
short breaks and heavy supervision
Easy Going, Secure
Universal Banker (Former Employee) –  Bend, OROctober 24, 2018
I enjoyed working at US Bank because it is a great company to work for. They offer many benefits from medical benefits to paid time off for volunteering, to engagement committees and networking opportunities. US Bank is also present in the community and sponsors events. I worked as a Universal Banker, which tended to be slow paced at the branch that I was at, however it sounds like other branches had a much quicker pace. I moved back into my career field, but I have favorable feelings toward US Bank as both a previous employee and as a customer
Do no recommend
Universal Banker (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 30, 2018
The pay for the work done is inconsiderate and does not fulfill the needs of everyday living. I would not recommend working here. I have a theory that the pay is not adequate (even for higher up jobs according to all the job salary websites) because of the high number of women who work there but still, the very top 1% of leadership is all men. So the women work hard for decades and make 20% less in a high up position than the average salary for that job in the state. All they have to show for it is a title and lots of sales pushed onto customers.
Cons
Saturdays, Pay, Sales
Overall a decent company with high standards for ethics, but would not reccomend the customer-facing job positions.
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 13, 2018
Lack of empathy from supervisors all the way up to site directors for the difficulty bankers in the 24 hour banking department have with customers. Not allowing adequate after call work time for bankers to complete transactions and account maintenance for customers. unfair compensation. I worked for the company for three years. I started at $13 an hour. After 2 years my raise was $1, so I would be earning $14. The company decided to raise the wage for hourly employees to $15. So instead of adding the $1 raise for my performance to the $15 to total $16, the company decided to just leave my hourly wage at $15 even though I earned $1 worth of a raise. So there I was a tenured employee, doing more work than trainees, and getting paid the same. Unacceptable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

51.8K
42K
31.5K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP10%
In the Top 10% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at U.S. Bank.

Powered by Comparably