U.S. Census Bureau
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from U.S. Census Bureau:

U.S. Census Bureau Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA26 reviews
Hours flexible around my bus driving duties. Enjoyed experience working with and communicating with citizens fulfilling census duties. Worked within a radius in Loudoun County, VA that enabled me to meet my schedules required by the Census Bureau
Pros
Flex hours
Cons
The best part about my job is the thorough training and flexibility it offers. The salary is very comfortable compared to the ongoing average income. The hiring process is very easy and not soo stressing. I did not have to worry about personality judgement or racial profiling. They consider you based on your skills and work related experience. The interview was over the phone
I really like the fact that our pay really reflected on the work we did. Even though we started out with a lower wage but once we were out of the training stage in went up.
Love working here ,great atmosphere. I love my job because people care about me as a person and about my professional growth. There is a genuine spirit of cooperation and shared goals all revolving around helping the customer that I have not found at other corporations.
I would sit and speak with the team before we would leave to go an meet with the community. I would love to hear their input on how we could work more efficiently and smarter. the best part of the job was meeting new people in the community and then seeing them in the market shopping and they would say I remember you. The saddest part of my job is when I relocated and didn't see my team anymore.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
A typical day at work is any day of the week.
What I learned was to move to Northern Va as soon as possible..

Management is potentially a great skill.

Workplace culture is ok.

Hardest part of the job is living in Fairfax

The most enjoyable part of the job is the culture
Very nice option for a summer work for students.
Involves a lot of walking, driving, so this is the most physically demanding part.

You make your own schedule. Opportunity to meet many new people.
I worked as an enumerator, so I would drive to peoples' houses/apartments and help them fill out their paperwork correctly. My manager (crew chief) was direct, but friendly. As long as you pulled your weight, you were in good favor with him, which made the job enjoyable. There was always plenty to do, and you made your own hours. The only downside is that there were no benefits, but since it was temp work, that was understandable.
Pros
Teamwork, Management
Cons
No Benefits
Management does care about all employees. There are at least twice a year of onsite (work place, not headquarter) meetings. Benefits (insurance etc.) is great. Salary is good too.
Our team was always full of energy but when we needed to complete a task, our boss would lead the way. Either in the office or outside of the office, people were respectful and cared about your well being.
I really do not have much to say. They just do not value their field staff. I don't agree with the way they treat their employees and the manner in which they expect you to get people's personal info.
Working on projects, learning new jobs, dealing with good people as well as bad people. The Management skills and the working culture work very well as a team.
Pros
Good company
Well managed.
Sufficient training.

Worked with a group of excellent workers who supported the collection of census data.

I encountered no substantial personnel issues.
This was a part-time position. It was family-friendly with very flexible hours and good pay at $20 per hour. I had to recruit workers for census positions and conduct testing sessions.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Poor management
This internship began with a two week training period, where we needed to learn how to use the new technology provided to us. Then we were shown what houses and neighborhoods we needed to follow up with. We were able to complete these tasks at our own time, giving us a very independent workplace.
Solicited citizens for data for Census Bureau. It was a temporary position, not to exceed 3 months. I learned the layout of the city a lot better.
Pros
working outside
Cons
not good in rain
• Conduct research on behalf of the Census Bureau.
• Collect household and demographic information.

also you r up close and personal with the customer
Canvas worker who went throughout the DC area to confirm status on our sheets regarding individual's living at a residency. The job was not difficult, it was a temp position.
This is a great position for anyone with a people skills. The compensation was great and the staff was always supporting.
Pros
reimbursments
Cons
clients with dogs
A typical day at the Census Bureau began with checking company emails for any new information from my supervisors. I would check field productivity through my company issued laptop. After reviewing graphs of information from the day before I would contact my Crew Leader Assistant (CLA) and discuss with her productivity issues from the day before. My CLA and I would determine what actions might be taken to increase productivity from Enumerators. Enumerators were individuals whose job was to visit identified residents and have them complete personal surveys.

I would have the CLA send a group text to our thirteen Enumerators informing them of the time and location of our daily meeting. My CLA would meet with the Enumerators to review their 308's to check for inaccuracies. A 308 was the form used to track the hours of employees. This form had to be submitted daily by all employees. While meeting with Enumerators the CLA would discuss with them how their day was and what challenges they might have encountered the day before. She would offer possible solutions to the Enumerators or she would contact me immediately. The Enumerators had the ability to contact me directly if they needed, which some did often.

I would meet with my CLA to double check 308's for mistakes. Once the 308's are mistake free I would sign them and my CLA would submit them to the main office daily. I would meet with other Crew Leaders to discuss what effective strategies they have utilized in obtaining completion of surveys. I was also responsible for assigning and reassigning cases to Enumerators
 - more...
Pros
I had a team of thirteen people that worked great together.
Cons
Many of the Crew Leaders and Supervisors had poor people skills.
My job as an enumerator consisted of me planning my own hours and route based on a daily updated caseload. I drove to an area using GPS equipment in order to physically locate a housing unit. It was my job to explain congressional laws and acquire information regarding the occupants as of census day through an interview and record the information using an application on a government issued iphone.

Doing this job I learned the importance of the census and I was able to learn about the territory I was assigned to more intimately. I had to persuade most respondents to divulge personal information, so I also sharpened my communication and manners even with rude respondents.

On this job, I belonged to a crew with a crew leader, but the majority of the work was self-supervised. My schedule was determined by me. I had to determine when would be the best time of day to make house calls for each unit and additionally, what action to take to ensure data was collected.

The hardest part of the job was gaining access to locked or heavily secured building whose staff was uncooperative. The most enjoyable part of the job was convincing a previously reluctant respondent to participate in the survey.
Pros
Setting my own hours, good pay
Cons
Challenging respondents
Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Census Bureau. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
3.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight