U.S. Census Bureau Employee Reviews

Found 3,476 reviews matching the search See all 3,495 reviews
A typical day
Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Suitland, MDNovember 19, 2018
Statisticians vary in the bureau, some are in the field and manage staff, some are at HQ an produce reports for specific surveys.

A typical day for a survey statistician not in the field would be gathering information and data to produce reports and creating good notes to explain your report. You kind of set you pace, but deadlines are normally deadlines you must meet depending on nature of the data.
Pros
Maxi-flex schedule
Cons
People who been there for 20+ years can be hard to work with.
us
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Englewood, CONovember 15, 2018
a typical day at work is walking around hoping people will answer the door and give yo a head count - unfortunately there are a lot of illegal immigrants in this area and I would guess we did not get a good count
Fun, part-time Seasonal Job
Test Administrator (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, GANovember 15, 2018
Working for the Census Bureau was a short term, seasonal job. I went to several different testing facilities to administer the tests for actual census takers. I really enjoyed meeting new people from all different backgrounds and I liked administering the tests to those people as well.
Pros
Fun, independent work environment
Cons
Extremely short term, not many hours
Fun job
Telephone Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 14, 2018
Phone interviewer , calling randomly selected households that are selected from all states,to gather information for different surveys that will determine progress or the need for new programs or funds distributed by the government .
Pros
easy job
supervisor
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLNovember 13, 2018
I enjoyed the work and it was for a good cause. No future in it though. It was at a time in my life that I needed work. Would do it again. Supervising was a good experience.
Not Bad at all for Goverment work
Statistical Clerk / Peripheral Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INNovember 12, 2018
If you're used to working for government facilities this place is one of the best. The competition is steep to acquire a permanent position. Every one wants to either work here or a post office.
stressful
Field Representative (Former Employee) –  Wichita County, TXNovember 12, 2018
stressful, conducted American Consumer Survey, Address contact list was emailed last day of month. Given between 22 and 30 surveys each month. Closeout was the 20th of each month. Had to make several attempts at addresses to find someone home.
Pros
set on schedule
Cons
late night work
Great experience.
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 9, 2018
It is a great experience to work with the census. I had absolutely no trouble. Sometimes you have to go above and beyond to perform your duties, but I would recommend it to anyone who is up for the challenge.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
Only lasts a year.
Good pay
GIS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaNovember 9, 2018
The Agency views the Decennial Census as a way to help its employees get better pay. There are people who work every census, so they return every 10 years.
I Loved working at the Census Bureau
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCNovember 6, 2018
I worked as a Enumerate and I loved it . I would go to peoples home and do a house of number count. I love to greet people and meet new people and talk to people in a friendly way.
WHen I work at the Census bureau was one of my best work experience of my life, I enjoy it and want to work with them again.
Crew Leader/ Office Clerk\ lister\ Quality lister (Former Employee) –  Mayagüez, PRNovember 5, 2018
As a crew leader I started at 7:30 am traveling to send the production of the last day at a designed point in San Sebastian, and at 1:00 pm restarted working with the employees assigned to me to supervise in the Lares area and travel the areas to help and facilitate any needs they had have. The difficult of the field was the mos worst thing in the work and be in charge of a great group of workers and meet the goals of the work was the most enjoyable thing in this work. It was a great learn for me to knew lots of places address and people in the areas and fields worked. We were a team
Pros
good salary, team work and great experience.
Cons
It was contract work.
i liked working there. good environment
Crew Leader Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blakely, GANovember 4, 2018
I was a crew leader assistant and a enumerator. I enjoyed talking to the different people. a lot didn't know what the census was so I always explaining to them
Pros
different work hours, paided miles
Cons
the dangerous areas we had to go to
A supportive work environment.
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, CONovember 3, 2018
A relaxed, professional work environment, where everyone works as a team; something I am no stranger to having served in the military. I enjoyed every day I worked for the Census Bureau, largely due to the agreeable workplace culture and the friendly people I encountered in the field.
Pros
A supportive workplace cultuer; good supervisors, friendly staff, etc.
Cons
Not enough full-time jobs available with benefits.
Was only there for 3 months, part time
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 2, 2018
Nothing bad to say, but was only a part-time employee for the 2010 census. There were no benefits, I saw my supervisor once a week with updates and set my own hours.
great job
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 2, 2018
pays well although your most likely to get laidoff due to the fact that the goverment runs this program. you just call people and ask questions most of the time
Always learning something new.
Geography Clerk (Current Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INNovember 2, 2018
The U S Census Bureau is a terrific place to work. The work is interesting and challenging. The work environment is pleasant and offers opportunities for growth.
Pros
Most co-workers work together.
Cons
Not enough overtime.
This was a seasonal job, but would've loved for it to have been full-time
CREW LEADER (Former Employee) –  Tupelo, MSNovember 1, 2018
The atmosphere with the Census was steady-flowing to fast-paced. No one breathed down my back; they simply trained me and sent me on my way, having faith that I would fulfill my duties, which I did.

Toward the end of the season, the atmosphere even gained a competitive edge. Really enjoyed my time with them.
Pros
Great pay and positive atmosphere
Cons
Late nights very likely
I enjoy working at AARP
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLNovember 1, 2018
We began our week with a breakfast meeting to lay out the week's work schedule. All of the census enumerators would have a designated area that we would canvas. We reviewed assignment areas to organize neighborhoods and locate households to conduct census interviews and collected relevant information from the residents. We recorded census data on forms, maintained records of hours worked, miles driven and all of our daily expenses.

It was always enjoyable talking with the residents and getting their data.Sometime it was challenging, in rural areas, to make my way to a residents' home. I also enjoyed canvassing the neighborhood with my coworkers.

I liked the job.
Pros
Talking with residents
Cons
Census didn't last long enough
This job
Enumerater (Former Employee) –  Monrow georgiaOctober 31, 2018
When I worked for the us census it was a fun n great job. The money was good. You workes basically on ir own time. The boss man was great always there to answer questions or help out. I would Definetly work there again.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Temp work
I wish it was permanent
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYOctober 30, 2018
The work was easy. Training was always available along with support. The office and field environment was always positive and rewarding. I enjoyed working there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Census Bureau. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3
51.9K

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight