U.S. Coast Guard

Reviewer Recommended

Recommended Workplaces earn this badge by having an average star rating of 4.2 or higher in the last two years, and at least 10 reviews from Indeed users.

U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

Found 2,362 reviews matching the search See all 2,393 reviews
Contract Specialist (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 23, 2019
Working for the Coast Guard/DHS has been the best federal employment experience I’ve had; much better than the DoD. The culture is less intense and processes seem more efficient.
Military is what it is
Storekeeper 3rd Class Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAJune 22, 2019
Watch a few movies about the military and you will understand what it is like to be in the Coast Guard. the Coast Guard has the same structure and requirements as all other branches.
Very good
Yeoman Third Class (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 20, 2019
I believe the screening I did before entering coast guard boot camp was thurogh and difficult but I’m very glad I was able to join. Since I started working there I have been able to travel and meet a wide variety of new people and best of all it brought me to Hawaii
US Coast Guard
STOREKEEPER (Former Employee) –  Bayonne, NJJune 20, 2019
My time in the Coast Guard taught me many useful life skills. I became a leader, manager, and trainer in the six years that I served.
As a Storekeeper, my job required critical thinking, mathematical skills, verbal and written communication, and aptitude for local, state and federal law.
Hardest part of my job was being deployed from my family.

Most enjoyable part was working with a great team and excellent leadership.
Pros
Teamwork, learning, leadership
Cons
deployments
arduous and difficult to work for if you have a family
Damage Control Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNJune 19, 2019
arduous and difficult to work for if you have a family, only caring about completing the mission with zero disregard for their members and how their people are doing.
100 Ton USCG Merchant Mariner License
100 Ton Masters License Captain (Former Employee) –  North Palm Beach FLJune 19, 2019
As captain of a private yacht there were many aspects I enjoyed and many I did not enjoy. Traveling for weeks at a time wa not something I enjoyed. Being on blue water was great
Pros
Great job if you're single
Cons
travel
Ok
SCCM Specialist at the US (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 14, 2019
I liked working ther pace was good lax atmosphere no bad great employees nice management great commute easy work life balance and good food nice day to day
I would do it again
Spezialist für Logistik / Lagerverwalter (Former Employee) –  Oahu, HawaiiJune 14, 2019
the best experience in the world. you get to travel and learn on the job. High stress trains you to deal with civilian life if you do not stay in.
Good experience
Marine Science Technician (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 13, 2019
I thought the Coast Guard was a good experience overall because it improved my confidence and helped me to learn new skills and increase my knowledge in a variety of different things. The work/life balance was not that great but I have heard that they are making improvements.
Pros
GI Bill
Cons
Long hours with no overtime pay
Coast Guard Reserves
HUMAN RESOURCE/ TRANSPORTATION ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  San Pedro, CAJune 13, 2019
As a member of the Coast Guard Reserve, you will be working side by side with full-time Coast Guardsmen. No matter what mission, you'll typically serve two days a month and two weeks a year at a base near your home.
Pros
Give back to your country
Mission is exciting, management was less than desired
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAJune 12, 2019
The leadership at Alameda was non-functional and abusive to Reservists. The ability to coordinate activities and work with the command were limited and less than formalized. Being a Reservist was disheartening and demeaning while working for this command.
Coast Gusrd is a excellent choice for young adults to serve your counrty.
Operation Specialist (Former Employee) –  MI, CA, FL, Cub, MAJune 12, 2019
I joined the military for life experience, a great career and to explore opportunities. I became a proud veteran with and a knowledge of Search and Rescue,and team leadership.
Great career field for someone looking to help people in need
Chief Boatswainsmate (Former Employee) –  Kodiak, AKJune 7, 2019
It is an offshoot branch of the Military. the conduct search and rescue, firefighting, Law enforcement. You will learn a skill that you can take with you
Rewarding
Petty Officer Second Class (E-5) (Current Employee) –  San Pedro, CAJune 7, 2019
Working in the Coast Guard has taught me many life lessons. I have enjoyed my time and all the growth opportunities they have provided me in leadership.
Overall great agency and place to work
MARINE TRANSPORTATION SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 6, 2019
Coast Guard headquarters is a large office and very busy. Working at one of the satellite locations within the program is preferable if you are able to do so.
It was a good first job.
Weapons Specialist (Current Employee) –  Multiple LocationsJune 5, 2019
I joined the CG right out of high school. It was a great jumping point as I had had no prior job experience. Being out on your own for the first time is scary and with the military, as hard as it can be, you have security. Guaranteed shelter, food, and something to wear.
I would recommend this for people who like order and work well in teams, like to travel, and can adapt well to knew situations quickly.
Pros
Retirement, healthcare, discounts, free college.
Cons
Long hours, can be stressful, standardized rules, time away from family
Great
Boatswains Mate 3rd Class (Former Employee) –  Hampton Bays NY/Dauphin Island AlabamaJune 3, 2019
Great service, worked on aids to navigation and also did search and rescue. Was an overall fantastic experience and learned multiple different skills as well as helped me grow as a person.
Good
Supply Chain Manger - Information Technologies (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 3, 2019
It a military branch - you sign up to serve your country - again I am not sure why this has to be part of the job or account setup - just to apply for something.
Pros
A ton
Awesome
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 3, 2019
Best Job ever! A lot of great people to work with and for, great benefits and work environment. Highly recommend for anyone wanting hands on training and that wants to travel and have limitless advancement opportunities.
Benefits
Cons
Travel
Great service
PETTY OFFICER 3RD CLASS (Former Employee) –  VariousJune 1, 2019
The US Coast Guard is a wonderful armed service to join. They provide you with many opportunities to succeed. I wold recommend if you did not want to go to school this is the best service to join.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Coast Guard. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5
51.5K

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight