U.S. Coast Guard Culture reviews

Found 344 reviews matching the search See all 2,408 reviews
Contract Specialist (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 23, 2019
Working for the Coast Guard/DHS has been the best federal employment experience I’ve had; much better than the DoD. The culture is less intense and processes seem more efficient.
arduous and difficult to work for if you have a family
Damage Control Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNJune 19, 2019
arduous and difficult to work for if you have a family, only caring about completing the mission with zero disregard for their members and how their people are doing.
Great Place to Work
YEOMAN FIRST CLASS; E-6 (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 2, 2019
Helping customers, Answering calls, Secretary for the Captain. Learned that I can achieve anything with dedication. Management is great and they respect your opinion. People in the organization are all hard working individuals and culturally diverse. Hardest part of my job would be keeping up with the pace. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to meet people and have a peaceful work day.
Pros
Healthcare, 401K, Dental, Life Insurance
Cons
signing a contract
Great Skills but terrible work life balance
Public Affairs Specialist (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMarch 7, 2019
I learned a lot of great skills in the Coast Guard that is going to allow me to find decent employment when I get out but my 5 years in the service were very eye opening to say the least. As a minority in the Coast Guard I didn't see very many people that looked like me in high positions especially when I became a Public Affairs Specialist. I got the opportunity to travel to a lot of different places within my field of work which was great. But I spent a lot of my off-time being on after hours duty. Where I worked at the workplace culture/moral was dismal in both locations I was stationed, the mission was the focus but the well being of the people did the mission to me wasn't much of a focus. The hardest part of the job within my job realm was after hours work and deployments. The most enjoyable part of my job was deployments as well ironically, those were the only times where I felt my work was genuinely appreciated. Within the last year of my active duty service I saw two racial incidents whiten the service that made national news and both incidents were committed by commissioned officers and were related to white supremacy. As an African American I was exposed to a lot of great opportunities that I normally wouldn't of experienced if I had not joined the service but I wouldn't suggest my future kids or nieces and nephews to join the USCG. If they want to join the military I would advise them to join the Navy, Army or Marines. The Coast Guard still has a long way to go in terms of diversity and have people of color in high positions.
Pros
BAH-Housing allowance, travel opportunities, getting paid extra IF you have dependents, good insurance benefits
Cons
major diversity issues within the coast guard, on duty very often, small workforce in the public affairs rate, difficulties scheduling time off
Best Place Ever to Work
Coach (Former Employee) –  New London, CTFebruary 26, 2019
I was a graduate assistance on the base for 1 year. Worked with the best people and had a great time coaching the cadets. It was really a nice place to work and learn - would take another job there instantly.
A dynamic work experience
Petty Officer Second Class (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSFebruary 25, 2019
Any day could be a new experience from saving a life, recovering a body, arresting drug smugglers, or making repairs on a critical piece of equipment. I also volunteered to be lead trainer for safety and environmental regulations and supported the Coast Guard's marine department by taking water samples when in a remote unit. The culture is also dynamic and I was happy to learn about all the different backgrounds of my shipmates because I do believe it helped me to become a better supervisor and person in general.
Pros
Helping people, saving lives, reducing drugs, keeping Americans safe
Cons
Long and often more than 18 hour shifts. Working in harsh environments.
Maritime Enforcement Specialist (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAFebruary 24, 2019
Some of the best opportunities I was ever given. I met some of the best people and learned some really great life lessons in my time in the United States Coast Guard. Leaders in place were not always great but overall if you cared they cared.
Amazing Branch!
Yeoman Third Class (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAFebruary 10, 2019
The United States Coast Guard is the smallest branch of service which means that there is a smaller budget but a closer community. The culture of the branch is very proud of serving their country and depending on where you are stationed will determine your hours and typical day.
Wonderful Place
Lecturer, (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutJanuary 31, 2019
The Coast Guard Academy is a wonderful place to work. You have wonderful students who are exceptionally disciplined and wonderful colleagues who are always willing to help
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Absolutely no cons
Semper Paratus
Chief Safety Environmental Compliance Division (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCJanuary 25, 2019
Always challenging, Incredible leadership, Teamwork!, Job security, Dedicated, Long hours, Responsibility, Mentoring, Skills development, Education assistance and on the job training!
Job Benefits
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  US Army Natick Soldier Systems CenterJanuary 23, 2019
Coast Guard encourages self-development, provides adequate resources, comfortable working environment, job recognition, excellent benefits. Atypical day consisted of answering many emails, testing fabric for shade, one of two conference calls. Workplace culture was somewhat private. No interaction with co-workers except for meetings or group project.
great career
Engineering Petty Officer (Current Employee) –  Mayport, FLJanuary 23, 2019
17 Years active duty I have seen every part of the world, worked on nearly every engine available and had great crews to work with throughout my career.
Pros
great people and work life
Cons
sometimes long deployments
Great Place to Work
Marine Science Technician (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJanuary 22, 2019
Great place to work and have a secure job. Lot's of very great people all over the organization, but it can be hard on family life due to deployments, and constant change of duty stations. Career wise, it can become stale. As the saying goes, "choose your rate, choose your fate" definitely applies and there is not much room for change. You will advance more than likely, but it can be competitive, and also advancement only leads to management positions. So if you like the field work, then as you progress in your career that will become completely phased out. Most people prefer this, but I liked the field personally.
Pros
All the benefits were nice.
Cons
Deployments, Lackluster Career
Amazing career
Health Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 22, 2019
A amazing place to learn, live and work. Has so much to offer and great way to start a career or work for until retierment. Travel the world and get to expericene different cultures and help so many different people in the process. Would recommend to anybody that is seeking a path that is difficult but highly rewarding and seeks something more then self.
Productive with growth potential
Office Manager Military Justice and Law Office (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 18, 2019
Friendly working environment with peers close to your level. Each member knows their role and executed it on a daily basis. Team work and sharing was a great plus when needed.
Cons
Had to report duty when called... even when not scheduled
Fun Job
Boat Crewman (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 17, 2019
The Coast Guard was a great time for me, A lot of hard work but most of all a great time with great people, would do it all again if i could, and Charleston was a great place.
Summary at USCG
Contracting Officer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 16, 2019
It is a great place to work with a friendly environment. You get what you put in, like most jobs. The base is very family friendly and very flexible to your needs. I loved supporting the fleet and aiming at the best customer service.
Pros
The job is flexible and rewarding
Cons
Government Shutdown
Excellent Work Environent
Lead Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 15, 2019
The USCG’s missions and the teamwork culture therein makes it an outstanding workplace. The pride of its members is readily apparent and it is contagious to the local communities. The USCG ensures members are properly equipped through updated technologies and training.
Pros
Long term career opportunities; great retirement system.
Cons
Some family separations due to deployments.
Fair place to work
Manager, Tonnage Standards (GS-14) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 14, 2019
The military culture is fair but can fall into cultural norms. There are challenging positions available as well as not so challenging positions. Teleworking is a bonus.
Great team work environment
Machinery Technician (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 27, 2018
If you like to work in a team environment and travel the country then this would be the perfect place to work. The hardest part of the job would be working during some holidays or even long hours to get the job done. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I am making a difference in my country.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Work holidays

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Coast Guard. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5
51.5K

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

33%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss