U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants

U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants Employee Reviews

Productive and comfortable working environment
Legal Intern (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 12, 2019
An overall amazing experience because I am given the opportunity to work in a field that I love. USCRI is very flexible when it comes scheduling hours because they understand that students have other responsibilities as well. As a legal intern, I was expected to meet with clients directly, contact clients over the phone, handle sensitive documents, contact agencies on the client’s behalf, do research for complicated legal cases, and process client applications. I also was responsible for handling general intern responsibilities, such as front desk shifts and attending meetings. I learned a tremendous amount interning with USCRI and I definitely have to give thanks to my supervisor.
Great place to grow with
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMarch 25, 2019
I expierienced a great opportunity here although at the end there was an age requiredmemt but I enjoyed being there while I could . Great place to learn and grow with.
Fun work Place
Resettlement and Placement Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 20, 2018
Very productive and fun work place, enjoying working with different and new people and with different cultures, very fast paste workplace, and time sensitive tasks to be provided on time and accurate.
i was an intern
MSW Intern (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 30, 2018
management is terrible and doesn't hear or make changes regarding the concerns of employees. Its really unfortunate that a field where innovation and cultural competence is necessary isn't getting the full benefit that it could with different leadership.
Love this job
Director of Finance (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAJuly 26, 2018
I have worked at this job for over 10 years. It has had its ups and downs but, I have always supported its mission, respected senior management and the international impact of the overall organization. On a daily basis, the social impact of our organization can be emotionally overwhelming. Imagine a scenario as the finance manager where you are meeting people from all over the world who have just fled violence, persecution, danger, poverty and sometimes escaped death. You watch them go through the steps to gain their lives back and then regain themselves and secure the futures of their families. All while doing what I love, financial management and accounting that enables my coworkers to do their jobs and create the infrastructure of the local organization.
Pros
Very flexible work environment and generous paid time off
Cons
The organization will not be federally funded beyond 2019
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 25, 2018
This job is for some one who is very passionate about helping someone. Its a small office. Company 's mission is great ,salary is under paid, Benefits are good but leadership is alright
productive and fun
Interpreter/ Case Aide/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 18, 2018
it's was a great pleasure to work for USCRI, i have enjoyed working for the company because i love helping people. so doing something that i love and getting paid was just great.
N/a
Legal Intern (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 3, 2018
See resume for my typical work day activities and responsibilities.
There is a very friendly and cordial workplace environment and people work together and help each other to get things completed.
Productive and enjoyable
Case manager/Job Developer (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIApril 25, 2018
Rewarding job helping refugees and immigrants get resettled in the United States. Great team to work with. Excellent benefits. Great environment and good location.
Informative and Comfortable Organization
Government Relations Intern (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 26, 2018
There was a lot of research involved, and the organization allowed us to participate in a number of educational and advocacy events. Learned about government relations, immigration and refugee issues.
wonderful internship experience
Refugee Services Intern (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 28, 2017
I had a great time internship for the Albany field office. I get to know a lot of case managers and help refugees look for a full time job in the area. Great organization that makes a difference in the society!
Pros
friendly workers
Cons
non pay internship
Intern
Social Work Health Access Intern (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 14, 2017
Helping refugees and immigrant have access to health care and connect them to the language programs. This includes arranging transportation to and fro the hospital.

Also internship were kind of isolated form the management work, and were cut off from everything. There was no proper monitoring and supervision for the work being done at the organization.
Cons
Stressful yet enjoyable workplace.
Health Intern (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 28, 2017
USCRI is a non-for-profit organization that advances the rights and lives of those who have been forcibly or voluntarily uprooted. Our leadership, team, and network has helped redirect the destiny of countless vulnerable lives. As a health intern, I act as a liaison between USCRI and medical providers in Wake County in order to improve refugee access to health care.
It is not surprising that working in a place filled a diverse people -- both refugees and employees -- with different accents, cultures, ethnicity, and believes is both stressful and enjoyable. Stressful in that it takes time for someone new to such workplace to understand, and adopt, to the situation. On the one hand, refugees are new to this culture and are willing to adopt in order to settle, to open a fresher page of life. It is my responsibility to make sure that this is happening, for the satisfaction and feeling of security of my clients. On the other hand, it is a relatively new experience to me because I could see them in my shoes when I myself landed on the U.S. soil as a refugee.
We received more than 300 refugees last year, and, yes, they are now settled and happy with the new life. The amount of hours put into making sure that every single client is holistically satisfied, indeed, required decent management. I alone spent more than 30 hours a week making calls to health insurance companies and to doctors' offices, and, not to mention, providing transportation to my clients, and act as an interpreter as well. In addition to that, I regularly took my clients to a church to receive donated stuff.
  more...
Despite being stressful, I enjoyed every second of my internship. Too bad I had to leave for the sake of a new experience, an experience that allowed me to get involved in an intensive medical educational developmental program last summer.
Pros
Relatively new experience, stressful yet enjoyable.
Cons
None.
Working to help people from many countries.
Spanish Interpreter / Case Aide (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 13, 2017
A very interesting work environment learning how people from different countries are really not that different. We all care about the same things in life; health, family and providing a safe home.
Pros
flexible hours
Management Issues
No comment (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 4, 2017
Great people but the management is all over the place. Not conducive to skills building or growth. Constant turn over. The regular staff are absolutely beautiful and are some of the best people. Yet, the leadership is terrible and you will absolutely be abused for whatever random goal they decide to set. Things take an average of 4-6 months to get done and at that point the opportunity has often passed. No direction. No oversight. Over managed. Under valued.
Pros
Great people, good work if you're interested in domestic work, cares about their mission
Cons
literally everything else
amazing workplace
Helpdesk Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Crystal City, VAMarch 20, 2017
USCRI is a great environment. The staff is very friendly and supportive. Can get a lot of work done with a great atmosphere. Would recommend any intern to start off at USCRI. it will help you settle in to your profession at a relaxing and soothing pace. I started off as a help desk intern and with the help of my MIS department. was able to grow over the years and learned a lot. As a fulltime employee of USCRI now. I like to do the same to the interns and keep the great environmental tradition rolling.
wonderfull Agency
Program coordinator (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 20, 2016
I love my work with the agency, the work took my whole life and it's very hard work but love it, I learn to be patient and smile in any condition , 10 years of management and three years of teaching giving me variety skills , I respect my co-workers and they like me so much, when I leave any job my team miss me always
Productive and mutli cultural environment
INTERN (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 3, 2015
A great place to be an intern. Your work load is very hands on, even as an intern. The refugees that come in are eager to learn and gain insight on how to go about a new start.
very good organization that hellped many refugees
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Dearborn, MIMarch 16, 2015
USCRI is a very helpful very caring organization that helps refugees settle in america. one of the best working team i ever worked with.
was fun
Database administrator Intern (Former Employee) –  Arlington,VAAugust 31, 2014
The office environment was great!!
My supervisor was so awesome.
Pros
great supervisor
Cons
pay was less