U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Happiness rating is 63 out of 100

U.S. Customs and Border Protection Employee Reviews

United States128 reviews

borderenforcementfederallawagencyofficergovernmentcareer

A good career if you're diligent, work hard and take advantage of the various job opportunities

There are many opportunities for various training, to transfer locations and work temporary assignments. I learned a lot throughout my 25 year career with the agency and enjoyed my various work assignments. What I did not learn to do was to network and be a "yes" person. The workplace culture appears to be if you like to network and hang out with the managers you seem to be selected for opportunities. There is a prevalence for nepotism that will not go away. The job was more enjoyable before US Customs Service and Immigration Naturalization Service was merged to form US Customs and Border Protection. It made it difficult for the two agencies to learn the other agency's laws and procedures. I believe the new CBP officers can do the job better without that conflict.

Pros

Overtime Pay. Healthcare and retirement benefits

Cons

Quality of life... overtime can be mandatory.

Overworked

Entire team is overworked and morale is extremely low. Leadership doesn’t care about their people. High stress at all times. Leadership does not trust its employees.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection insights

• Sense of belonging
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Trust in colleagues

Great group of people!

A professional organization with great benefits! You are able to make your own path and career development. Lots of resources and support to grow your career if you want. If you want to work for 20 years or more in the same location and/or job...that is great too! You will not be penalized for a static career.

Pros

Resouces, benefits and pay.

Cons

Odd government rules and regulations.

Work place

Typical average 5 days a week no overtime have to go TDY once in awhile. You have quite a few days off. Need time off you request it pension plan retirement.

Pros

No free lunch

Cons

Short breaks

Productive fun workplace

I enjoyed the job responsibilities. I enjoyed the ability to move. The benefits were great. I made lifelong friends. The job skills I obtained have turned out to be transferable to other career paths.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Older co workers using seniority

Challenging, yet Rewarding

I had the pleasure of working with mostly competent and honest colleagues. The investigator position requires an average of 50 hours per week, called Law Enforcement Availability Pay.

Great paying career , just don’t start in the southwestern border

Great paying job, can make life changing money depending if you can work the overtime at that double pay rate and cap at an extra 45k. The long 16 hours of work and last minute notices of staying an extra 8 hours gets tiring fast. If your gonna start in this career , do not start in the border but somewhere your willing to stay for Atleast 5 years no matter what.

Cbp

Great place to work if you have a strong regulatory background. Coworkers are wonderful and pay is fair. Is is a job that give you a strong sense of pride and purpose.

Para- Military Environment

More weight given to men and those as law enforcement than women and non enforcement positions. Women advance less often than men. Positions are often awarded to friend and family versus those who are more qualified or already in a position that can advance.

Great Place to Work!

The Laredo South Station is the best place that I have ever worked! I hope to be back there again very soon. There are plenty of opportunities to advance your career.

Co-workers were great

The pay was ok and the benefit package was very good. I really enjoyed the people I worked with but remember this is a government agency and as such, this is a very bureaucratic environment.

Pros

Federal benefits, Co-workers

Cons

Bureaucratic work environment

It's a great paying job but work life balance is not good.

Overall a good agency with great benefits and compensation. Depending on your location the work life balance can be horrible. Low staffing and moral are an issue.

Poor officer moral even though paid well.

Great pay and benefits however poor upper management. Promotions more based on the good old boy system and not on how well you actually perform as both an officer or manager.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Poor management

Excellent career with opportunity for advancement.

Like all government jobs. It's all in what you make out of it. Work hard, show initiative and you can have a very rewarding career here. A great group of guys to work and lots of opportunities.

Pros

Great co-workers, opportunity to learn lots of different things and advance to different areas.

Cons

Long hours, some bad management

Steady, decent paycheck...not much else.

Many more negatives than positives. Decent pay...although similar federal LE jobs mostly have like pay or better and much more positive morale and career direction. Mostly, the advantage CBP/OFO has is in hundreds of potential work locations including working overseas. There is also more probable likelihood to work nontraditional shifts...like afternoons and midnights...if that's a positive.

Pros

Locations, shifts.

Cons

Morale, work, pay, training, experience.

Fulfilling workplace with opportunities for advancement and learning!

If you have initiative you will go far. There are many opportunities to advance in your career, through training and development. Tuition assistance is a plus.

Pros

Clear mission and vision. Leadership is supportive

Cons

It's the government. You won't get rich.

Great team effort

I miss my working at my duties at USCBP and working with the Staff and fellow Officers. USCBP uses a team approach to work duties and job function. I highly recommend USCBP to those looking to enter a L.E. position. The pay and duties are more profitable and safer than at the local & state level agencies.

Pros

Lots of highly paid OT available, easy schedules, great team work

Cons

Dealing with dangerous Presidential decisions, lack of Federal Administrative backing, Clueless Democratic Administration

Golden handcuffs

When I first started this job, I thought it was going to be a great federal agency to work for. I quickly realized that the only reason most officers stick around is because it pays well. The work environment is toxic and most managers are poorly qualified. I recommend this job if you want to use this as a stepping stone for another agency, or if you a money hungry.

Pros

Good money

Cons

Almost everything.

Stable employment. Pay average. Micro management

OK environment. management doesn’t listen to employees. Chance to learn. No advancement until recently . Workplace environment is politically correct. Be careful of what you say

Pros

Pay leave health insurance

Cons

Below average management

Worked for Chief Counsel's office. Ideal job for a lawyer.

Worked for Chief Counsel's office. Ideal job for a lawyer. Excellent organizational structure; management is highly qualified. Perfect office culture.

Rewarding experience and amazing pay but some downsides

The job is a very rewarding experience with the immigration casework and drug seizures. However, you will most likely start your career out in a very undesirable location and transferring out of that location is almost impossible. Be prepared to do at least 10+ years in before you could possibly transfer somewhere you would rather go. Even then, management might make you leaving very hard since they can’t afford to lose you. You are a body in this agency and that is all. You can make a TON of money in overtime and shift premiums but the work/life balance will be almost nonexistent for you unless you go to a very small port on northern border. Use this agency as a stepping stone to get something better unless you are from a border town or get lucky in the hiring process.

Pros

Amazing Pay and Awesome Experiences

Cons

Very difficult to transfer. Terrible Work/Life Balance if at large port or southern border.

Common questions about U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Answered by current and former employees at U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.5
InHerSight Score
2.1Personal Development
2.9Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight