U.S. Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews

Found 1,223 reviews matching the search See all 1,232 reviews
Fun Summer Job
Biological Science Aid (Former Employee) –  Stoneville, MSSeptember 24, 2018
At the Catfish Unit, It was a fun summer job to work with and experience new surroundings. I had to go back to school, so I had to leave each summer. I just graduated, but sadly they are not hiring.
Pros
Get to work with friends
Cons
Heat
ok
SCEP Contracting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 23, 2018
extremely organized and works well multitasking and managing multiple client campaigns simultaneously. This individual has an eye for trends, the ability to pay close attention to detail, and thrives in a fast-paced environment.
Great Place to work full of challenges and opportunities
Supervisory IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 23, 2018
As a manager of a small IT Division, I find the USDA to be a great place to work. While we have all the challenges of most federal agencies in terms of staffing and resource shortages, I find the staff and management very dedicated to our mission and the customers. I enjoy the culture and environment and have found USDA to be a place that encourages professional growth and development. The best part of my day is when I have a chance to interact with our customers to create solutions to our shared business problems.
Very fun and interesting job
Blood Gas Technician (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DESeptember 22, 2018
Being a Blood Gas Tech at Delaware Park for the Department of Agriculture has been enjoyable and a great learning experience. The hours are flexible and work well with family life
Pros
good pay
Cons
temporary job
Good place to work.
Agricultural Commodity Grader (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 18, 2018
Management and employee relationship good. Good working environment and the ability to learn new skills. the most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with the people.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Seasonal Job
decent job
Food Inspector (Current Employee) –  Cassville, MO 65625September 18, 2018
The job itself and the benefits were very good but the changing of the inspection system and the lack of information provided to you and your immediate supervisors was extremely frustrating. Not a hard job just very tedious.
benefits
Cons
lack of information from management
Enjoyed my time and growth with the USDA
Senior Project and Program Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 17, 2018
Always challenging/changing environment with some of the world's best IT SME and management. Being a part of a diverse and collective group of geographically dispersed groups of IT professionals allowed me to continually increase my technical skillsets, personal relations, and other aspects vital to a IT PM.
Pros
Always challenging
Cons
Job advancement
fun work place
Biological Science Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Beltsville, MDSeptember 17, 2018
Came in and went to work, pretty normal work days. The building itself to be quite honest wasn't too sanitary. It was frequently cold, and the people who work there aren't exactly the friendliest or most social or welcoming to new younger people. My direct supervisors were amazing though.
Productive job
Food Inspector (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 12, 2018
some days are ok some days its hot and some days its cold i learned how to inspect birds the hard part about the job is staying awake and sitting or standing in the same place for hours the most i enjoy you can sit down.
USDA Stuttgart, AR
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Stuttgart, ARSeptember 11, 2018
It was very fast paced, but the benefits were pretty good. The management was okay I suppose. However, there were people that wanted the overtime more even though they did not have a family to take care of so they do make it to where you cannot get it. You are supposed to be on-call 24/7 which usually calls for over-time, which was great until people get greedy. All in all, it was a good work environment and great pay for the location.
Pros
Great Place to Wrok, good people, good managment
Cons
short breaks, very few breaks, communication

Want to know more about U.S. Department of Agriculture?

Ask a question
Ultima
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  MNSeptember 10, 2018
Ulitima is a good company to work for but you have no one-on-one with anyone in the company. They are easy to reach by email and very responsive. I wasn't working long and two family medical emergencies and they were understanding and accommodating. Insurance is awesome!
Very Nice
Biological Technician (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDSeptember 9, 2018
Great place to work for anyone interest in ecological study. There is a good collection of projects, history, and minds from which to draw experience and ideas.
Pros
Good pay, research work
Cons
Enduring the elements, some travel
it is a good work environment
Production Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXSeptember 6, 2018
it's a good environment to work at and the company treat their employees fairly and also the company has a lot of benefits such as paid pay time off, sick pay and holiday pay
Fast pace and challenging place to work
AGRICULTURAL PROGRAM TECHNOLOGY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IA 50322September 6, 2018
FSA was a great place to work as long as you don't get caught up in the politics. The staff is friendly for the most part. Budget constraints keep one from being able to travel and put on trainings.
job security
PROGRAM ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Bath, NYSeptember 5, 2018
This place offers a rewarding place to work along with job security. Management is not the best under the Natural Resource Conservation Service. Managers got promoted to current places under a agency reorganization- not actual qualified managers.
Great place
High School Intern (Former Employee) –  Beltsville, MDSeptember 4, 2018
I also learned a lot at the USDA- it was my first real job where I got to explore different concepts in the scientific community. My manager was wonderful and helped me succeed.
Love the USDA!
Water Infrastructure Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 3, 2018
A typical day at the USDA varies greatly based on what sector you work in. I worked in the Rural Utilities Service as an intern and had a wonderful experience.
Balanced, interesting, and fair work environment.
Agricultural Aide (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Alturas, CAAugust 31, 2018
A typical day includes: Enter the interior of vehicles including trailers, trunks, and passenger compartments of commercial trucks, automobiles, and recreational vehicles, and water crafts in order to inspect for and remove any hitchhiking pests (i.e., gypsy moth, zebra mussel, etc.)
Read and interpret shipping manifests and quarantine certificates in order to determine the contents and admissibility of commercial shipments.
Use printed and electronic reference materials relating to the release or rejection of shipments in order to determine the admissibility of private shipments of plant material.
Complete on-the-job training (including manuals, computer programs, and videos) designed to assist inspectors in order to learn and keep abreast of changes in regulations, and vehicle inspection procedures.
Sample and inspect rejected or regulated commodities for pest infestation by collecting and carrying of samples and using a knives, fruit crushers, hand lenses, and microscopes to examine commodities.
Compare collected specimens with samples or printed or electronic reference materials in order to make a preliminary identification of common pests by.
Preserve and ship suspect pest specimens using the prescribed methods to laboratory for identification.
Dispose of rejected commodities by grinding, burning, or placement in dumpster.
Pros
Interesting, good co-workers, equality
Cons
seasonal
Not a family or individual friendly culture
Food Inspector (Current Employee) –  Greeley, COAugust 30, 2018
Government benefits are great, if fact, hard to beat. However, the USDA FSIS is continually short staffed and employees are mandated to work the shifts that they have not hired for. This includes additional shifts if someone calls in or are on vacation.
They tell you that promotion is based on merit. It is not. The government requires for promotion what they call "time in". That means you have to stay in your position for 1 year before you have the potential at promotion, unless you would like to transfer to another state that needs help.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Hard for people with families. They have a revolving lack of staff.
Work at USDA is what you make of it.
Acting Associate Assistant Secretary for CR (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 30, 2018
As a Federal agency, life at USDA is what you make it. If you are focused, apply yourself and avail yourself of the available opportunities, you can likely advance your career. There are many good people at the agency who are dedicated civil servants.
Pros
Helping the American public
Cons
Political cycles can be disruptive